The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-17-2016, 04:13 PM

It reminds me of Sliders, what with the reality slightly shifting each week.
Advertisements  
Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
The problem with identical USB drives (or printouts) to track changes - what prevents those from getting changed with the timeline? The fact that they're inside the time machine? Wouldn't the data/writing just change along with the rest of recorded history like the pictures/faxes/newspaper headlines in Back to the Future?
Well, the memories of the people in the time machine aren't being affected, so why would the information in a storage medium, be it printed or electronic. In Back to the Future, there was a delayed effect, though this wasn't applied consistently. The figures in the photograph of Marty and his siblings faded gradually (along with Marty himself, eventually) but were restored immediately once the timeline was put back to "normal", or at least a close approximation since the 1985 Marty returned to was clearly not exactly the one he left. The "promulgation rate" of time changes was plot-dependent. There's no indication of that happening here; the main character is not gradually forgetting that she had a sister, for example, nor is her locket photograph of same fading out.

Or at least we've not seen this effect so far; it's only been two episodes.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
In one of Robert Heinlein's novels, the characters were traveling among parallel universes in which there were differences in Earth on each. (As I remember, in one, there was no J in the alphabet.) One character came up with the idea of obtaining an almanac in each universe, as it contains a nice summary of historical and other data. Except I don't know if anyone still publishes paper almanacs any more.
Did it have a car named Gay Deceiver?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Yes, that's the novel I was thinking of. (The Number of the Beast, in case anyone was wondering.)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:02 PM

This was a great episode tonight. I really liked that they aren't afraid to have the bad guys win, even if it will likely be just a temporary victory.

I liked the "It worked in Back to the Future II" moment. I feel bad that for Wyatt it didn't work out.

I'm looking forward to next with Fleming. Ian Fleming.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:03 AM

I'm already getting frustrated that the time team is always several steps behind. Wyatt Logan is Special Forces and hasn't won a fight against Flynn yet.

Maybe things will make more sense later. I wish it didn't seem like such a hopeless mission. The diary gives Flynn and the others such a big advantage.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

In the third episode, after Garcia Flynn stole the atomic core, the good guys were talking about what would happen if it blew up, either when they drove their car right at Flynn's car, or in the time machine. Now I'm no nuclear physicist, but I thought that the atomic core was just a sphere of plutonium that had to be ignited by another mechanism in the bomb.

And in the preview for the fourth episode, the voiceover called Ian Fleming "the greatest spy in history".
Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM

Ian Fleming was a spy in WWII.

Supposedly a very good one.

Do they rate spies?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

He's more famous for writing about a spy than for being one.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Best moment of this latest episode, for me:

"This is 1962: I'm invisible. It's my superpower."
Old 10-18-2016, 05:05 PM

My reaction to this show reminds me of my editor's reaction to the first story I ever sold to a SF magazine.

"It's possibly the best treatment of a time travel/Lincoln assassination I've ever read. The problem is, it is a treatment of a time travel/Lincoln assassination."
Old 10-18-2016, 10:41 PM

I'm more of an engineer-type than a physicist-type, but shouldn't the two halves of a plutonium core be stored separately, as in not touching?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

My suggestion for the Homeland Security lady in the Pilot episode: "Take the prototype ship, travel back a few hours to the parking lot, and kill everyone in the van."
Old 10-21-2016, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
My suggestion for the Homeland Security lady in the Pilot episode: "Take the prototype ship, travel back a few hours to the parking lot, and kill everyone in the van."
Explicitly against the rules of time travel as given here. You cant go back to any time where you have been.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Explicitly against the rules of time travel as given here. You cant go back to any time where you have been.
Where you have been where? Where you have been alive at all, or where you have been alive and nearby? Not being snarky, I think I wasn't paying attention to the scene where they spelled that out.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Where you have been where? Where you have been alive at all, or where you have been alive and nearby? Not being snarky, I think I wasn't paying attention to the scene where they spelled that out.
I think it's when they were alive at all.

This prevents exactly what you brought up, which is exactly why i hate most time travel shows. Killed Heroes... well, one of the things that killed Heroes.... Killed Lost- well, one of the things that killed Lost.....
Old 10-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think it's when they were alive at all.

This prevents exactly what you brought up, which is exactly why i hate most time travel shows. Killed Heroes... well, one of the things that killed Heroes.... Killed Lost- well, one of the things that killed Lost.....
Ah, OK, that makes sense.

One thing I was thinking during the Pilot episode - it would have been a much better first scene if they showed the Hindenberg landing successfully.

"It's starting to rain again -- the rain had slacked up a little bit. The back motors of the ship are just holding it, just enough to keep it from...drifting away...and it's moored. In a moment we'll be talking to Captain Max Pruss..."
Old 10-25-2016, 03:14 PM

I appreciated the Tom Lehrer reference in the Von Braun/Ian Fleming episode.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
If they'd had the guts to actually save Lincoln it would have pushed this show into must watch territory, right now I'm thinking of dropping it.
I wish they had done this too. I am enjoying the fact that they are changing history. It would have been interesting to see how this might have impacted things.

Regarding time travel restrictions. My understanding is that you can't be in the same physical area with yourself (which prevents the do overs). That's bad in a "cross the streams" way. I don't recall restrictions against traveling in your own lifetime.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I appreciated the Tom Lehrer reference in the Von Braun/Ian Fleming episode.
OK, what was the Tom Lehrer reference? I must have missed it.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 PM

Kinda lame to make Ian Fleming an actual spy. 4 episodes into a time travel show and they're just making stuff up?
Old 10-25-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Kinda lame to make Ian Fleming an actual spy. 4 episodes into a time travel show and they're just making stuff up?
He was an intelligence operative and later a commando in WW2.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

BTW, it's kind of awkward to have an African-American as part of the team when you're on a mission in Nazi Germany. Makes it hard to blend in (even more so than the fact that only one of them spoke German).
Old 10-25-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
He was an intelligence operative and later a commando in WW2.
No, he wasn't. He directed commandos and planned operations. I have never heard a peep about him being an operative behind enemy lines let alone impersonating a German officer in the belly of the beast.

Last edited by CarnalK; 10-25-2016 at 04:26 PM..
Old 10-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're saying this about a show that rewrote the Hindenberg disaster and then the Lincoln assassination?
Old 10-25-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
You're saying this about a show that rewrote the Hindenberg disaster and then the Lincoln assassination?
Uhh, yes. They were re-writing actual historical events. It's a time travel show. Unless we are to assume fiddling with the Lincoln assassination changed Fleming's career path, the last show re-wrote a completely made up event.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
OK, what was the Tom Lehrer reference? I must have missed it.
I don't remember the exact wording, but in the confrontation between Rufus and Von Braun, Von Braun came very close to saying "Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?"
Old 10-26-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
No, he wasn't. He directed commandos and planned operations. I have never heard a peep about him being an operative behind enemy lines let alone impersonating a German officer in the belly of the beast.
That was the traditional belief, and is mostly true, however, recently it has emerged that he did in fact go on missions, at least one to Occupied France.

Quote:
e learn that in June 1940, as France was falling to the Germans, Commander Ian Fleming RNVR was sent on a secret mission to the temporary seat of government in Tours to determine Admiral Darlan’s plans for the French navy in the event of surrender

Last edited by AK84; 10-26-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 AM

I liked the fact that there was now a whole new James Bond movie, with Connery.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
That was the traditional belief, and is mostly true, however, recently it has emerged that he did in fact go on missions, at least one to Occupied France.
Well technically, that was just before France was fully occupied and it wasn't as a spy, it was a secret diplomatic mission. With the Germans banging on the door, I'm sure it was a scary mission but it's a far cry from impersonating a German officer at a missile launch party inside Germany proper. They just decided to turn him into James Bond which was off putting for me.

That is an interesting bit of Fleming trivia though, so thanks!

Eta: btw, it's generally thought that much of James Bond's character was based on Sydney Reilly

Last edited by CarnalK; 10-26-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Old 10-26-2016, 05:14 PM

Iffy on this show, but one thing I will say - I really appreciate the brevity of the opening credits.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 AM

I managed to knock out the first two episodes last night, and I enjoyed it. I'd like to see more information on how the present changes with each mission.

It would not be at all surprising to me if Flynn's team turns out to be a) the good guys or b) under the control of Matt Frewer's character. Mostly because there's no way "kidnapping victim" is all the producers plan on using Matt Frewer for.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I'll say this for the show: It's educational.

I'll often find myself pausing the show so I can Google whatever it is they're talking about.

I mean, all the stuff they've covered so far is fairly common knowledge but it's nice to read up on it to get a deeper appreciation of the show.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Well technically, that was just before France was fully occupied and it wasn't as a spy, it was a secret diplomatic mission. With the Germans banging on the door, I'm sure it was a scary mission but it's a far cry from impersonating a German officer at a missile launch party inside Germany proper. They just decided to turn him into James Bond which was off putting for me.

That is an interesting bit of Fleming trivia though, so thanks!

Eta: btw, it's generally thought that much of James Bond's character was based on Sydney Reilly
Another piece of trivia, Fleming and his wife we into really really hardcore BDSM. Visitors to their GoldenEye estate mentioned the inordinate amount of towels and hairbrushes (), belts etc that were strewn about and the fact that sometimes Mrs Fleming had a very hard time sitting.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another piece of trivia, Fleming and his wife we into really really hardcore BDSM. Visitors to their GoldenEye estate mentioned the inordinate amount of towels and hairbrushes (), belts etc that were strewn about and the fact that sometimes Mrs Fleming had a very hard time sitting.
Spanking is more like softcore BDSM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
OK show, but I have a hard time believing they could pick a jail cell with the wire from a bra.
Wife dissected the underwires from a bra and, true to form, left them laying around the bedroom. The one on the bed nearly dissected me. Stiff, thin, and would make excellent picks for the cell locks of the time. However, I always thought their role was in support. The beautiful Ms Spencer is what? An A-cup? Lift and separation would seem superfluous when, if you ladies will pardon me, everything is as lifted and separated as it can be already.

But yeah, if he thought about it, McGuyver himself would wear an underwire bra on missions. And titter prettily when TSA scanners noticed.

Last edited by dropzone; 11-09-2016 at 09:57 PM..
Old 11-29-2016, 06:24 PM

Loved the "Space Race" episode. Just finished reading Hidden Figures about Katherine Johnson and the black calculators and here she is in person! And the white vest on Kraft.

And the X-files reference with FBI agent Mulder! Excellent writing.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

"Space Race' episode - I'll bet no one else here noticed that Rufus? put the tape on the tape drive backwards (BTW, the blue tape reel had a yellow ring around the center. This enabled the tape to be written on, but it had to be on the invisible side when the tape was mounted). And, I don't think any computer had 2 megabytes on memory; that was what tapes were for (and long term storage, of course). I was a computer operator at Kennedy Space Center pre-Apollo. post paper-tape (mostly) but lots of punch cards and magnetic tape.

Bob

Last edited by urban1a; 11-29-2016 at 08:39 PM..
Old 11-30-2016, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Ok, I'm mostly liking the series, but they're playing pretty fast and loose with history to make the stories more simplistic and kind of dumbed down. "the space race was much closer than most people think". actually it's totally the opposite. Although we thought so at the time, Russia never got anywhere near able to put men on the Moon.

They just casually mention a 'communist attack on mission control' that sabotages the computers and nearly killed two astronauts? That'd pretty much be the start of world war III. But they make it sound like it wasn't a big deal.

And how come Matt Frewer's character could travel to 1969 without trouble? Unless he's a lot younger than he looks, he was already alive then, and I thought that wasn't allowed...
Old 11-30-2016, 02:56 AM

I think its more an operational rule rather than a technical one, that people don't react well to meeting themselves.

And did'nt Flynn write himself out of existence? Mom might not have moved overseas, met Daddy if she had not lost her only son earlier.
Like Mother like Son is losing spouse and child though.

I thought the whole "black woman savior" plot was dealt with poorly. The real life lady was not in the basement, she was a valued member of her team (and apparently someone who people were scared of ). She was also i) older than her actress, she was in her early 50's at the time and ii) during the landing was up in the mountains, not at mission control.

As was the whole feminist inspired "I have a name" "make your own coffee"; seriously? The former is understandable, the later, thats what the secretarial and assistance staff was there for.

Last edited by AK84; 11-30-2016 at 02:59 AM..
Old 11-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think its more an operational rule rather than a technical one, that people don't react well to meeting themselves.
From the pilot, it sounds like two of the same person can't be at the same point in time:

Quote:
Wyatt: Ok, just one thing I don't get. Apparently this time machine works. So why don't we just go back five minutes before Flynn stormed in and shoot him in the face?

Rufus: You can't go back to any time where you already exist, where you might meet a double of yourself. It is bad for the fabric of reality.

Wyatt: Define "bad."

Rufus: We tried it once. The pilot came back, but not all of him.
Quote:
And did'nt Flynn write himself out of existence? Mom might not have moved overseas, met Daddy if she had not lost her only son earlier.
Like Mother like Son is losing spouse and child though.
Yeah, he was taking a pretty big chance of that happening. Most likely they aren't going to address that issue.

Too bad Wyatt didn't figure out what was going on. He could have just shot Flynn's mom, Flynn winks out of existence, problem solved.

Something I'm wondering. Anthony (Matt Frewer) added the nuclear core to their time machine so that now it doesn't have to be recharged. Does that mean they don't have to return directly to the present after a trip to the past? If so, the smart thing to do would be to go back in time, wait there long enough for the heroes to go after them, then jump to another time in the past to actually do whatever bad stuff they really had planned. The folks in the present would know what they've done, but they'd have no way to tell Wyatt, Lucy and Rufus. Eventually they'd return to the present and say: "I dunno. We wandered around 14th century Mongolia for a week and never bumped into Flynn".

Flynn attempting to sabotage the lifeboat in the past was a good idea.

I don't think they've mentioned it, but I'm guessing there's no way to travel into the future? And how much time traveling had they done before Flynn stole his machine?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:42 PM

Does anyone else think that Rittenhouse was some founded by or because of time travellers and the whole thing will turn out to be a causal loop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I wonder if their "expert" history professor will quickly get confused by the changes in history? She's an expert in her own time line. It's going to be difficult for her to keep up with what changes...
Good point. So far it seems like the changes have been rather minor (outside of personal issues like siblings never having been born). As opposed to them coming back from a mission and finding that the US lost the Cold War and the President take's his marching orders from Moscow.

Quote:
Can they actually pick the Lifeboat's destination? For some reason I thought they can only send it to approximately the same time/space location as the Mothership.

Quote:
BTW, it's kind of awkward to have an African-American as part of the team when you're on a mission in Nazi Germany. Makes it hard to blend in (even more so than the fact that only one of them spoke German).
Thought it was pretty funny when in the 1970s Lucy had to wait outside the Black Panther hangout trying to look inconspicuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos L Halper View Post
...I don't think they've mentioned it, but I'm guessing there's no way to travel into the future? And how much time traveling had they done before Flynn stole his machine?
Flynn has to have traveled to the future at some point; he has a diary that Lucy's yet to write. Then again he could've gotten if from someone who traveled from his future to his present.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I see the march toward Lucy and Wyatt pairing off has begun. I suppose it could work, but right now it comes off as somewhat obligatory, like the writers were checking off a box. (Rufus and Jiya seem much more genuine together.) My guess is that Lucy and Wyatt will grow closer and closer ... right up until some change they make to the timeline causes Wyatt's dead wife to be spared whatever fate originally befell her. Then she's either going to turn out to be evil -- possibly a Rittenhouse plant -- or her death will turn out to be crucial to the timeline and the team will have to make sure she bites it all over again, putting Wyatt and Lucy back on track.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:23 PM

This latest episodes dilemma/mcguffin is easy to solve - for the first time, our team has a piece of information that Flynn's team does not - the origin of the key that was around Bonnie;s neck.

Now - if our team was smart - they would simply jump to an earlier slot and take the key -before- Clyde steals it for Bonnie.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Flynn has to have traveled to the future at some point; he has a diary that Lucy's yet to write. Then again he could've gotten if from someone who traveled from his future to his present.
I think at some point Lucy's going to lose the book in the past and Flynn will have come across it when he was tracking down info on Rittenhouse. Finding the book may be what actually tipped him off about the time machine and inspired him to steal it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Now - if our team was smart - they would simply jump to an earlier slot and take the key -before- Clyde steals it for Bonnie.
Yeah it'd be nice to see them take the initiative rather than always just doing stuff in response to the moves Flynn makes.

I would've liked to have seen Wyatt just shoot Bonnie and Clyde and take the key. What the heck, they're going to be killed in the next few hours anyway, so what difference does it make to the timeline?

I'm not sure what the deal was the key however. Henry Ford announced a $50,000 reward to get it back. So presumably he needed it to access the scroll inside the clock. Couldn't he have just busted the clock open? For that matter, couldn't Flynn?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
This latest episodes dilemma/mcguffin is easy to solve - for the first time, our team has a piece of information that Flynn's team does not - the origin of the key that was around Bonnie;s neck.

Then what stops the bad guys from going back even further? Remember, changes made by one ship doesn't affect anybody in the other - otherwise, the first episode makes no sense, as once the Hindenburg history changed, everybody would have immediately forgotten about what originally happened.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:35 PM

The people "back home" did forget. It was only the lady historian who remembered the "original" version. Their job isn't so much to "fix" history as it is to patch it up so that it goes on "pretty much" as before. Full-up fixes are impossible.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:17 PM

Credit to Timeless in, at least, giving George Washington a Virginia accent.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Those two generals dead? That's gonna change the old timeline...
Old 12-14-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Those two generals dead? That's gonna change the old timeline...
Not to mention David Rittwnhiuse. Now who's going to establish the border between Pennsylvania and Maryland, or head the US Mint? Or, apparently, create a shadow government.