The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-11-2016, 08:39 AM

Supergirl Season 2

The Girl of Steel is back, on a different network and a different shooting location. I am actually impressed at how they got cold and rainy Vancouver to look like sunny Southern California. I'm also impressed with Tyler Hoechlin who did both Superman and Clark Kent quite well. He doesn't exactly have the Herculean proportions we usually expect of Supes, but he wore the blue pajamas quite well. He also somehow managed to look bigger as Superman than as Clark Kent.

Some other random observations:

- Clark doesn't like J'onn. AWKWARD!

- Lena Luthor ISN'T the Big Bad this season. (Or is she?)

- Cat Grant was in fine form; I dare say, even better than last season. I guess with Callista Flockhart having only limited appearances now, they have to make each one count.

- They appear to be dropping the whole Kara/Jimmy thing. Thank God!
Advertisements  
Old 10-11-2016, 09:08 AM

"MISS TESSMACHER!"

Cat Grant's inspirational speech to Kara about taking the plunge really made me admire her. And she can actually pronounce Kara's name correctly when she's being serious.

I totally agree about Tyler Hoechlin's Superman. He reminds me of Dean Cain's Man of Steel in Lois and Clark. Why can't the movies go back to this type of Superman as played by Cain and Christopher Reeve?

I liked the little throwaway lines like Win referencing Luthor starting an earthquake in California and "This looks like a job for...both of us."
Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

This is the one superhero show I'm willing to watch because it's such a nice throwback to the comics of the 50s and 60s.

I loved hearing "Miss Tessmacher."

And also introducing Metallo. That's a smart idea -- bring back Superman villains from that era (Titano! The Toyman! The Prankster!)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 AM

I thought the acting for Clark/Supes was good, but the costume sucked ass. Where are the red briefs? What's with the super-sized buckles holding the cape on? And come on, Superman has a curl on his forehead.

Calista Flockhart steals the show, in my opinion. The writers are doing a fine job of slowly adding depth to her character from its original cartoonish start.

Glad to see the James-Kara romance is being dropped. James should be a minor character, would rather see her hook up with Winn at some point.

The Superman-Martian feud seems silly. So they keep kryptonite around in case any bad Kryptonians pop up (as they have done before). Surely Superman can see that possibility.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
"MISS TESSMACHER!"

... I liked the little throwaway lines like Win referencing Luthor starting an earthquake in California and "This looks like a job for...both of us."
I recall a reference to flying as the safest form of transportation. That's from way back in Superman the Movie, and it was repeated in Superman Returns.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 AM

Oh, man, I totally missed that Winn was talking about the events of the first Superman movie.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM

Win's character is actually more Jimmy Olsen than the Jimmy Olsen character is.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
The Superman-Martian feud seems silly. So they keep kryptonite around in case any bad Kryptonians pop up (as they have done before). Surely Superman can see that possibility.
Hasn't Superman given Batman a piece of Kryptonite for just that reason?
Old 10-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Win's character is actually more Jimmy Olsen than the Jimmy Olsen character is.
Yeah--I like the guy playing Jimmy Olsen, but Jimmy is just not a mature, deep-voiced 30-something guy who's got his life together. I really wish they could figure out a way to introduce a real Jimmy Olsen* and say that this guy is James Olsen, older cousin of Superman's Pal Jimmy. Keep him in the show. He's a nice grounded character, but he ain't Jimmy Olsen.

*The kid who they want to have as Mr. Terrific in Arrow would be perfect, btw)
Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that bugged me, too. Heck, we've already seen Kara go a bit nutso from Red K, so it's not that bad an idea to keep some of the green stuff around just in case.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, he has, in the comics. Superman trusts Batman, he doesn't trust certain government agencies.

Tyler Hoechlin did a great job as Clark and Superman. I imagine his appearance last night and next week are a backdoor pilot. His costume is fine, except the belt should be thinner and lose the shoulder straps.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
IIRC, when he did that, it was the only piece of Kryptonite on the planet.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I loved hearing "Miss Tessmacher."
Nice throwback, but does anyone think Cat Grant would call her assistant by her last name? She never even bothered to get Kara's first name right.

Quote:
Glad to see the James-Kara romance is being dropped. James should be a minor character, would rather see her hook up with Winn at some point.
Yeah, might also be interesting for Winn to move on and have Kara pining for him for a while. So far, the show has had the whole world available to Kara, and it's been about her fretting and trying to decide what she wants from an infinite variety of options. Let's see what happens when she wants someone she can't have.

Quote:
I don't know if I'd call it silly. Seems to me that Supes is worried about what happens if the DEO goes bad, the DEO is worried about what happens if Supes goes bad, and both of them too stubborn to admit that the other's worries are not only justified, but exactly the same as their own. The writers may have just wanted a reason for Superman not to be around all the time. It is Supergirl's show, after all.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 PM

This was a good start to the season. Superman fit right in but didn't overshadow and he smiled and was like Superman is supposed to be.

Cat is great. Her scenes with both Supergirl and Kara crackle. She will be missed and is probably the only bad thing about the move to the CW.

I like the new set.

I like the twist with a Luthor being a good guy.

As soon as I heard the name Corben I yelled "Metallo!" Guessing that hunk of Kryponite J'onn and Superman are fighting about is going to get stolen.

Speaking of names, I'm not gonna lie, I always thought Gene Hackman was saying, "Miss TessBaucher!" with a B. I wonder if this one's Mom also lives in Hackensack
Old 10-12-2016, 12:07 PM

I am undecided on the Kara/James split, but I am absolutely not here for any kind of Kara/Winn relationship. I want no parts of that, whatsoever.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Nice throwback, but does anyone think Cat Grant would call her assistant by her last name? She never even bothered to get Kara's first name right.
Sure. If her first name was simple and her last name wasn't.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:40 PM

Why do they need Clark in National City again?
What I did like was that
i) Clark's clumsiness is real, not an act.
ii) Clark is a genuinely capable and respected reporter in how own right. Clark Kent is Superman; its not a civilian identity, its a real person.

Last edited by AK84; 10-12-2016 at 12:43 PM..
Old 10-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Add me to those who loved the portrayal of Superman. It was just ... right.

Unrelated to the show itself, the CW site made me turn off my ad-blocker to watch it. It did not make me turn it off to watch Arrow or Flash. Weird.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Oh, man, I totally missed that Winn was talking about the events of the first Superman movie.
There was a callback to The Adventures of Superman, too.

Paraphrasing to the best of my recollection.

Clark on the phone to Perry: "But you still say, 'Great Caesar's Ghost!' after all this time."
Old 10-12-2016, 07:23 PM

Great Caesar's Ghost is Perry's catchphrase in most versions (everything except Lois & Clark, where it was swapped for Great Shades of Elvis, I believe), not a reference to any particular adaptation.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Great Caesar's Ghost is Perry's catchphrase in most versions (everything except Lois & Clark, where it was swapped for Great Shades of Elvis, I believe), not a reference to any particular adaptation.
OK, Chief.

By the way, "Great shades of Elvis" and Perry White being an Elvis fan were conceived as an inside joke due to Lane Smith, the actor who played Perry, being born in Memphis, TN, where Elvis made his home in Graceland.

Last edited by cochrane; 10-12-2016 at 07:45 PM..
Old 10-13-2016, 01:07 PM

I really liked the episode, but I'm worried that the introduction of Superman to the show could overshadow Supergirl.

I'll admit that there did seem to be a big Superman-shaped hole in last season (the way they prevented the audience from seeing his face just got downright silly), but I think they may have gone too far in the other direction. We'll see how they balance things out.

Also no indication thus far how the Flash/Arrowverse are connected. It would be hilarious if Flashpoint somehow merged the two universes, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

The mention of Gotham in this first episode made me wonder about Batman. In the Arrowverse, the name "Oracle" was "already taken," and we heard Harley (in prison), and we know Ra's first daughter, Talia, was an adult back in the 70's or 80's - which mean's Batman's main time is over. So we might now be in a post-Bats universe.

Which could mean: Batman beyond (Terry McGinness)? Nightwing? Old Bats in power armor? Or maybe it's totally different in the Superverse.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceoftheuniverse View Post
I really liked the episode, but I'm worried that the introduction of Superman to the show could overshadow Supergirl.

I'll admit that there did seem to be a big Superman-shaped hole in last season (the way they prevented the audience from seeing his face just got downright silly), but I think they may have gone too far in the other direction. We'll see how they balance things out.

Also no indication thus far how the Flash/Arrowverse are connected. It would be hilarious if Flashpoint somehow merged the two universes, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

The mention of Gotham in this first episode made me wonder about Batman. In the Arrowverse, the name "Oracle" was "already taken," and we heard Harley (in prison), and we know Ra's first daughter, Talia, was an adult back in the 70's or 80's - which mean's Batman's main time is over. So we might now be in a post-Bats universe.

Which could mean: Batman beyond (Terry McGinness)? Nightwing? Old Bats in power armor? Or maybe it's totally different in the Superverse.
Flash was always part of Arrowverse.

I really wanted Olivia to walk in as the Arrow and have Barry try to figure out that one..

Last edited by simster; 10-13-2016 at 03:56 PM..
Old 10-18-2016, 04:07 AM

S02E02: The Last Children of Krypton

I did not expect them to dispose of not just one, but two Metallos so quickly. And Clark and J'onn seem to have come to an understanding. The writers are really keeping up the with other CW shows with moving the plot developments right along. And the fighting was phenomenal. I thought the show had a reduced budget now that they're on the CW, but that doesn't show in the effects at all.

Episode homage: Recreating the scene of Superman carrying a dead Supergirl from Crisis on Infinite Earths. https://i.imgur.com/IlT1wa8.jpg

In joke: Alex says she gave up a career in medicine to join the DEO. Chyler Leigh was previously on Grey's Anatomy.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
I am undecided on the Kara/James split, but I am absolutely not here for any kind of Kara/Winn relationship. I want no parts of that, whatsoever.
How about an Alex/Winn relationship?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM

A couple other little Easter Eggs--there's a brief mention of "a Korugarian" alien running amok. It's dealt with off-screen. Sinestro is from Korugar. Given all the Coast City references, is this another hint than the CW folks really want to add GL to their cast?

My understanding is that (possible spoilers for Arrow)
SPOILER:
Diggle becomes The Guardian. The Guardian is usually linked to Cadmus.
Could there be a Crisis in the offing, shoving Supergirl's world into Flash/Arrow's world?

Do we know the name of the woman making Metallos?

I'm sorry to see Flockheart go. She really added to the show, IMO. On the other hand, get rid of James Olsen, middle-aged guy.

Why Snapper Carr? I mean, yes, I get the name, but why name him that? The character was too old, and had nothing personality-wise in common with Snapper Carr. Why not name him "Roy Raymond" or "Billy Batson" (if he'd started in the '40s, maybe) or Morgan Edge (which would tie nicely into the Cadmus thing) or any of the other billion reporters that DC has. (I like the actor, I get that the character is supposed to be a foil for Kara like Cat was, I just don't get the name. Snapper Carr != Journalist to me)

Any guesses regarding the third Kryptonian? I'm guessing he's Mon-El.

Last--so...what'd Superman do with all that Kryptonite? We saw him flying off and there was a bad cut and then *poof*: gone. Also, J'onn won the argument. Without it, Astra would have won and Corben would have beaten Alex to a pulp. So it's useful for someone other than Superman to have a bit of it around.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddypants View Post
Tyler Hoechlin did a great job as Clark and Superman. I imagine his appearance last night and next week are a backdoor pilot.
I'm not sure.

I mean, yeah, he hit it out of the park, but what clicked was him portraying the big guy as smiling and confident and even playful -- though not to where it got in the way of getting the job done, but just to keep showing that he's a step ahead of everyone else in the conversation -- and when he's not busy saving lives with a wink, or taking criminals out of the fight by blindsiding them easy as resorting to lethal force, he's an upbeat guy who genuinely believes he can be of best use by reporting facts to the general public, who'll react accordingly; and he's not wrong.

In a there-and-gone supporting role, that's great: you can see why Kara suddenly decided to get into journalism; and you can see her wanting to get where he is, as the experienced hero that (a) folks are a little in awe of, but who (b) truly wants to shake their hands because they're doing valuable work; and so on.

But as the protagonist? Where does he go from here?

Remember how Obi-Wan Kenobi stuck around just long enough to get the audience hoping Luke Skywalker could someday become a Jedi Knight? It would've been a whole different movie if the youth with lots to learn had found the wise expert who proceeded to calmly and self-assuredly solve problems.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I loved the reference to Snapper Carr, but it really didn't make a lot of sense. Morgan Edge would have been better (Billy Batson would have required the Big Red Cheese showing up eventually, which they probably should avoid for now).
Old 10-18-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
My understanding is that (possible spoilers for Arrow)
SPOILER:
Diggle becomes The Guardian. The Guardian is usually linked to Cadmus.
I've got bad news for you:
SPOILER:
According to reports I've seen, Jimmy Olsen is supposed to become the Guardian
Yeah, file that as WTF.

I imagine Superman either flew all the kryptonite into the sun or stored it in the Fortress of Solitude. Now does Alex lose the use of her supersuit? My understanding is that it was powered by kryptonite.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 AM

I thought they said somewhere along the line that he was storing the Kryptonite at the Fortress of Solitude.

In any case, I thought that was a weak moment to build tension between Superman and J'onn J'onzz. Remember all those other Kryptonian villains that are out there? Wouldn't letting the agency have a little Green K be a nice way for them to counter a threat like that?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:28 PM

Put off by the "Snapper Carr" thing. Intrigued by the possibility that the "3rd Kryptonian" is Mon-el.

BTW, are "Kryptonian" and "Kryptonese" two different languages?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Surely it can't take either Kara or Clark more than a minute to fly from city to city. Can't they just visit each other all the time? Seems like weirdly artificial tension...

And every time they randomly address a minor little crime like a convenience store robbery, it makes me wonder about all the crimes of that sort that they do NOT fix because they're busy having secret identity lives, etc... or because those crimes took place in, say, Cleveland. How big a natural disaster has to be occurring some place in the world other than Metropolis for Superman to be called in? And how is he called in?

Ah well, not worth worrying about, still a generally fun show. Although it's frustrating to be constantly having to suspend new and different bits of disbelief.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
How big a natural disaster has to be occurring some place in the world other than Metropolis for Superman to be called in? And how is he called in?

Ah well, not worth worrying about,
IIRC, this is the canonical reason why he got a job at the Daily Planet: so he'll hear about breaking news before it's breaking news, in time to superspeed over.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:43 PM

I remember Snapper from the old JLA comics and remember his shtick was that he was always snapping his fingers. But from his treatment of Kara last night I'd say the name fits him like a snapping turtle.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
How about an Alex/Winn relationship?
"Reply hazy. Ask again later."
Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 PM

This episode wasn't quite as successful for me as the premiere. I found Winn's constant snark annoying rather than funny. Still over all enjoying the season though.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
But [Superman] as the protagonist? Where does he go from here?
I agree that the Superman as presented on this show isn't quite as interesting as a main character. He's already had his origin story and, besides, we the viewers have already seen it ad nauseam. He's already struggled with reconciling being both Superman and Clark Kent. He's gotten together with the love of his life, Lois Lane, who not only knows about his secret identity but also knows about his cousin. He's even defeated his greatest enemy, Lex Luthor.

Superman is great as a supporting character, to show what Kara aspires to become. As a main character, the Superman series would show little more than a villain of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
This episode wasn't quite as successful for me as the premiere. I found Winn's constant snark annoying rather than funny. Still over all enjoying the season though.
I was annoyed by Winn's constant Superman worship. Dude personally knows and works with both Supergirl and Martian Manhunter. Why is he such a fanboy of the Man of Steel?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Another possible guess for the third Kryptonian. A little obscure, but Dev-Em?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
I was annoyed by Winn's constant Superman worship. Dude personally knows and works with both Supergirl and Martian Manhunter. Why is he such a fanboy of the Man of Steel?
For what it's worth, even other superheroes are excited when they meet Superman for the first time. He's the most famous, and the "gold standard". And after all, even the most famous actors and rock stars have their own "idols" and can get super-excited to meet them.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

If she says "Hello Megan!", I'm swearing off The CW. The Young Justice portrayal of Ms. Martian was painful.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:36 AM

Man, I have a mixed feeling about this episode....

On one hand:

President Wonder Woman. Yay!
Mon-El*
Miss Martian
A more interesting Jimmy Olsen
A Snapper Carr who has journalistic ethics

But on the hand,
A thuddingly painfully ham-fisted pro-immigration message (which I sort-of agree with) but geez. Could it have been more over the top?**

Jimmy who needs half an episode to let his balls drop. Snapper should have been suspended/fired in that first meeting. Right there. Instantly. A mid-level editor at (say) Time Magazine doesn't go to the CEO of Time-Warner (which is what Jimmy is right now) and talk to him that way.

A lack of easter eggs--this is a minor one, but instead of whateverthehell drink Mon-El wanted, it would have been cooler if he'd asked for Kono Juice or Silverale. Ditto with all the generic aliens. Just use DC names. A minor quibble but one that bugged me.

As an aside, so who WAS the Human Torchette? I thought (given that Mon-El, plus the upcoming
SPOILER:
Dominators plot that will lead to the Arrowverse crossover
plus the rumors of Booster Gold in Legends) she would have been Inferno or Beauty Blaze or whateverthehell her name was. But apparently she's just a fire-alien?

*Not Lar-Gand? I wonder if they'll make Mon a distant cousin of Kara/Kal?
**Unless the point was that Pres. Wonder Woman is really a Martian and this is a huge set-up for an invasion. And that was a great reveal at the very end.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:19 AM

I don't understand writers/producers. Do they really think being so heavy handed with their political views help the show? There is not one person out there not watching the show who is now going to tune in because of the pro-immigration statement made by the show, but there is at least 1 who will no longer watch.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 AM

It did really bother me that the only person who was against "alien immigration" was a freakin' alien. If the writers wanted to do a story about immigration and integration, they missed a huge opportunity- they could have had a series of episodes featuring a group of humans who violently opposed it.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
It did really bother me that the only person who was against "alien immigration" was a freakin' alien. If the writers wanted to do a story about immigration and integration, they missed a huge opportunity- they could have had a series of episodes featuring a group of humans who violently opposed it.
I got the feeling that this was going to be the overarching plot for the season the way that ecology was last season.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
It did really bother me that the only person who was against "alien immigration" was a freakin' alien.
And Lena Luthor. Also, Lena should have psychic powers and look like the character in the first panel here (I think all of us--pro Illegal Space-Alien Immigration and anti Space-Alien Immigration folks can come together and agree that Supergirl needs to have an "alien space-brain" added to the cast.)

Quote:
If the writers wanted to do a story about immigration and integration, they missed a huge opportunity- they could have had a series of episodes featuring a group of humans who violently opposed it.
I also think they were dumb to time this episode so close to the election. I think everyone's fairly sick of politics at this point.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:58 AM

"You ought to see my other jet." Ha ha.

But then we couldn't, could we?

Last edited by E-DUB; 10-25-2016 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Add second sentence
Old 10-25-2016, 08:08 PM

Good casting on Superman, awful costume (not nearly as bad as the current movies, though how could it be?)

Terrible awful casting on Snapper Carr and Maggie Sawyer. Are they just drawing names from a hat?

Decent casting on Mon-El, but he shouldn't be called that, Lar Gand only got that name due to amnesiac interactions with Superboy, which he clearly hasn't done here.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:48 AM

A major character was missing in the last episode. Did anyone notice? No, not Cat Grant. Her absence already has huge effects on the show. Snapper Carr is poor replacement; he has all of her acerbicness and none of her charm. No, the major character I'm talking about is
SPOILER:
James Olsen.
I didn't miss them at all, which just speaks to how superfluous the character is.

That being said, I didn't particularly like the episode. The alien fight club was a cool concept, but was poorly executed. Miss Martian's motivations for participating weren't terribly well presented, and yet again there's another character keeping secrets. The high point was Winn and Mon-el's night out. We need to see more of the that.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:23 AM

I laugh at the beginning of each ep during the opening credits when she says "I'm Thupergirl!" like a gay man with a lisp.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:41 PM

I wish there was a bit more thought put into plausibility and logic of the world. OK, fine, suddenly there are so many aliens hanging around National City that there's an entire underground subculture of them. And plenty of human beings know all about them. And some of them are tough enough to beat up Supergirl, and yet instead of getting jobs as, I dunno, emergency firefighters, or super-soldiers, they have nothing better to do than fight in underground fight clubs. Sure. Whatever.

And there's a well connected woman who gets away with running the fight club because she has friends in high places. Sure.

But how highly placed are her friends that she can KIDNAP THE HEAD OF A US GOVERNMENT INTELLIGENCE AGENCY AND MAKE HIM FIGHT TO THE DEATH and her friends can still get her off the hook? Supergirl is besties with the fucking president, doesn't that outrank whatever contacts evil fightclub lady has?

Stupid, stupid writing.

It's a shame that Melissa Benoist is so adorable, because she keeps drawing me back into what is otherwise a fundamentally stupid, stupid show.