Old 11-16-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
And I do like how they're handling Alex's coming out.
I'm liking it too. OTOH ...

Is it just because I'm "old" and outside of the target demographic for most of these shows that I'm a bit annoyed that nearly every new show feels the need to shoehorn in an interracial couple and an LGBT character? I personally have no objection to either, but I also recognize that not every single small circle of friends or coworkers includes an interracial couple, a gay friend, or, especially, both.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post

Is it just because I'm "old" and outside of the target demographic for most of these shows that I'm a bit annoyed that nearly every new show feels the need to shoehorn in an interracial couple and an LGBT character? I personally have no objection to either, but I also recognize that not every single small circle of friends or coworkers includes an interracial couple, a gay friend, or, especially, both.
I don't see why this is an issue. Normalising diversity should be a positive, whether or not it reflects your own real-world experiences. We're talking about a show here about a multicultural immigrant from another planet--diversity is built into the premise.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:25 PM

Just like Cat Grant said, you're watching the attractive, yet non-threatening racially diverse cast of a CW show. What else do you expect?

I really, really miss Cat's quips.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:20 PM

Going back a bit in the thread, but re: Fenris's objection to Mon-El being portrayed as a "him-bo". Please remember that the Mon-El we're most used to was LSH Mon-El, who had spent a thousand years in the Phantom Zone. That's got to knock a few rough edges off a fellow.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Something really bothers me about this latest episode.

Supergirl discovers that Mon-El is working as an extortionist for hire, and her reaction is:

"You can't use your superpowers to make money, that's just wrong!!"

Does it seriously not occur to these writers that there ways of making money with super powers that don't involve harming others?!

Come on. Mon-El has super strength, and can fly. Most likely, he can carry very heavy objects while flying, just like Kryptonians can. I can think of several jobs that such a super-powered person could do, which would benefit everyone involved and which people would be glad to compensate him for:
  • Fork lift
  • Crane
  • Cruise ship engine
  • Mining bore
  • Elevator lifter
  • Making "balloon animals" out of steel bars
Oh, sure, he'll put 2 or 3 forklift operators out of work by doing the job more efficiently than they can -- at first. But then the increased output will ultimately make the company he's working for more prosperous, and MORE jobs will eventually be created to fill the vacuum.

What's wrong with being compensated for the use of your super gifts?
Old 11-17-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Come on. Mon-El has super strength, and can fly. Most likely, he can carry very heavy objects while flying, just like Kryptonians can. I can think of several jobs that such a super-powered person could do,[...snip...]
What's wrong with being compensated for the use of your super gifts?
It isn't likely to end well for Mon-El?
Old 11-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
If he'd just demanded to be paid -- a very modest sum -- for cranking the generator all those years, he would've been able to retire long before they reached Peak Superman.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post

Well, this circle of friends does.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 PM

Jimmy Olson, Guardian? OH HELL NAW. They even had the REAL Guardian on last season, to boot.

But hey, they both are named Jim, so same difference to the numbnuts running the show, right.

They didn't even try to get the suit right... looks more like Night Thrasher without the red highlights..
Old 11-21-2016, 11:11 PM

It feels like aliens in Supergirl are becoming like Demons did in Buffy (and especially Angel): when the series begins they are rare and powerful and later become another minority in the city. Just humans in funny make up.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 PM

So what's Project Medusa?

I figured part of what's keeping Mon-el from taking the hero route was some sort of guilt over not saving his planet or something.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Jimmy Olson, Guardian? OH HELL NAW. They even had the REAL Guardian on last season, to boot.

But hey, they both are named Jim, so same difference to the numbnuts running the show, right.

They didn't even try to get the suit right... looks more like Night Thrasher without the red highlights..
Maybe they're a different Guardian. You know, like how you can know two different people named Steve.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:59 AM

The bars of the cell holding Kara and Mon-el were made of Nth metal from Thanagar. Think we'll see hawkfolk on this Earth as well?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:03 AM

I liked it. Some reveals in this episode. We find out Jeremiah is working against Cadmus from within. The real Hank Henshaw has survived and has indeed become the Cyborg. Could this be setting up a battle between Cyborg and J'onn? And J'onn is turning into the thing he hates, a White Martian, courtesy of M'Gann.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:42 AM

I hate the Guardian costume. To the point where it's distracting me from the show. It looks like a talented 14 year old kid decided to make a Robocop outfit for a CosPlay event, and then ran out of money before he could paint the metal parts gold/yellow.

I agree about too damn many aliens. And they're all too tough. The whole freakin' point of Superman/Girl is that they're the strongest. Remember, back in the early '80s, Jim Starlin(?) created Mongul who's sole gimmick (back then) was that he was stronger than Superman. Validus was stronger. Mon-El was stronger than Superboy but probably not stronger than Superman. And maybe, maybe Vartox was stronger. That was it on recurring characters. Supergirl gets the crap kicked out of her every episode. She needs a few psionic bad-guys, a few smart/tricky costume types (remember last season when Toyman showed up, before it was "All aliens, all the time"?), etc. Let her use her brain and stop with the constant punch-fests.

The show seems to have lost something crucial without Cat.

Also, I hate Guardian's costume. Did I mention that?

Last edited by Fenris; 11-22-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Also, I hate Guardian's costume. Did I mention that?
No, I don't think you did.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Yes, there are too many aliens. Seems like Supergirl is just one of many many many aliens in National City. Jimmy Olson, superhero, is lame. Send him back to Metropolis. The gay Alex just doesn't seem right, too forced or something. Mon-El needs a costume, apparently Winn is the only qualified tailor in National City. The telegraphed romance brewing between him and Kara is a plot mistake. Let's keep the romance out of it, it's an action series not a relationship drama. Melissa Benoist can at times look absolutely stunning, yet at other times somewhat plain. Still, a great casting choice. Just shorten her skirt a little.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
The bars of the cell holding Kara and Mon-el were made of Nth metal from Thanagar. Think we'll see hawkfolk on this Earth as well?
I doubt it, somehow, but it was a nice Easter egg.

Speaking of which, no love for the Batman reference? "My cousin worked with a vigilante once. Tons of gadgets, lots of demons."

If James Olson is the Guardian, does that mean Winn is standing in for the Newsboy Legion? If so, it's a shame that he's not working in the news media anymore.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:08 PM

I had two major problems with the episode:

1. "Oh cadmus, you might hurt my friend, so I will play into all of your schemes! This is clearly the right choice" No you twit, the right choice was to go super speed as soon as they unlocked your cell, wax everyone in the room, free Mon-el, and then fly through the ceiling with him to get home.

2. But you could have avoided the above by just escaping earlier. Thanagarian bars? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they remembered to put them in the floor, which I don't think they did from the long shots. Just grab the bars, and fly through the ceiling, cage and all. Figure out how to unlock the door at leisure with the DEO. And that's assuming the lock couldn't just be melted away via heat vision.

Even that isn't accounting for "where's Kara? Oh, for plot reasons we'll just not check on our main character when they're gone for an uncharecteristic amount of time.

I really wish the writers would remember the power-set of their heroes when setting a trap

EDIT: this doesn't even mention that the smart thing for cadmus to do post solar-flare would be to decapitate Kara and then put a bullet between mon-el's eyes. They hate aliens, you know they want to kill them later. They could get blood from a corpse.

Last edited by yellowjacketcoder; 11-23-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:15 PM

Does Mon-el potentially have the same powers as Kara and he just hasn't learned to use them yet or are Daxamites fundamentally different?
Old 11-23-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Does Mon-el potentially have the same powers as Kara and he just hasn't learned to use them yet or are Daxamites fundamentally different?
A couple of episode ago they mentioned that he doesn't have the same power-set. He's super-strong and super-durable, but I don't think he can fly or blast things with heat vision.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
A couple of episode ago they mentioned that he doesn't have the same power-set. He's super-strong and super-durable, but I don't think he can fly or blast things with heat vision.
Yeah, I was just curious if it was similar to Smallville, when Supergirl showed up she could fly but Clark was a late bloomer for some reason.

Mon-el does seem to have an ability that Kara doesn't. When he first arrived on Earth and they took him to the DEO, he started absorbing energy from the building to heal himself. Kara seems to get her powers exclusively from our yellow sun.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
And he has what is probably the worst vulnerability possible, considering just about every bad guy on Earth uses guns that shoot lead bullets.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
And he has what is probably the worst vulnerability possible, considering just about every bad guy on Earth uses guns that shoot lead bullets.

MonEl is supposedly just short of the Kryptonians, but that's after Brainiac 5 invents a serum to take care of his lead weakness. Later, in at least one DC universe, he forgets to take it and dies.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Copper or steel jacketed, tho, almost always.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Copper or steel jacketed, tho, almost always.
But realistically (hah!), wouldn't that copper or steel jacket immediately shatter on his bulletproof skin, thereby creating a small shotgun blast of lead shrapnel? Hell, seems like that'd be worse. Maybe not much penetration, but a surgeon would have a heck of a time getting all those pieces out of him.

Last edited by Lightnin'; 11-24-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Yes, there are too many aliens.
No, there aren't.

The DEO has existed for at least 10 years.

The idea that there are multiple spacefaring species out there, but the only ones who came here deliberately are two orphans from a dead species is absurd, and so is the idea that the DEO would exist if there weren't already plenty of them active.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:40 PM

Aliens, mutants, Inhumans. Same stories. Same themes.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:00 PM

"Call me Cyborg Superman"

"Why?"

"Because I'm a Cyborg now!"

"Yeah yeah, get that part, but dude you look nothing like him"

"Racist, you've triggered me so much I think I'll go nuke Coast City"

"Robot, please. You don't even have the proper costume, even the cruddy version this universe's Superman has"

"They were out of blue fabric."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Maybe they're a different Guardian. You know, like how you can know two different people named Steve.
But none of them would be Jimmy freakin Olson in a sane universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Ideally yes, just with weakness to lead instead of kryptonite, but in this nutty universe, *shrug*
Old 11-25-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
"Call me Cyborg Superman"

"Why?"

"Because I'm a Cyborg now!"

"Yeah yeah, get that part, but dude you look nothing like him"
In the comics, his cyborg parts come from Kal El's rocket ship, hence the "Superman" thing.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But none of them would be Jimmy freakin Olson in a sane universe.
Were you maybe expecting Elastic Lad?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:18 AM

He could also become a giant Turtle-man. Or even a Werewolf, which would actually follow canon better because he would only be cured by a kiss from Supergirl.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Forgot to mention in last week's episode, J'onn was doing martial arts (looked like Tai Chi) and told Kara he'd been taught it years ago by "a Shaolin monk".

I told my husband, "He called me Grasshopper, which made sense because I'm green."
Old 01-23-2017, 07:19 AM

Reviving this thread to remind everyone that Supergirl (and all the DC-CW shows) returns tonight. Kevin Smith directs the episode entitled "Supergirl Lives". Here's a no-spoiler behind-the-scenes video shot by Kevin Smith himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HCDLAkk4zU
Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 PM

Goddamn, I hate the "Snapper Carr" they've got, and I dislike the actor playing him.

There's unlikeable-but-fun (Kat Grant, Penguin on Gotham prior to this season) and there's simply-an-annoying-douchebag. Smarmy himbo Mon-El, leans towards the "annoying" side, but manages to stay on the "fun" side. "Snapper" goes through the annoying-douchebag category and comes out the other side. And unless the actor's directions are "Play him as an unmitigated douche with no redeeming qualities or hidden depths", the actor kinda sucks too. (Also, either grow a fucking beard or shave, goddamn it. You look like Homer Simpson/Fred Flintstone)

I still say Alex is getting used to being gay way too easily. This may be a generational thing--I'm probably 20 years older than than Alex is supposed to be (about...what? 30?) and I'd expect more angst. I'm very glad there isn't angst, and I loved Mommy Danver's easy acceptance of it (an episode or two back), but...I dunno. I'd still expect more drama (and I don't want it).

I hate that there are hundreds (or thousands) of DC planets available and they make one up. Simply call it Dhor (Kanjar Ro's world) for example.

Also, still don't like Guardian and/or 40+ year old Jimmy Olsen.

Was the expository-dialogue alien (Joe Something) an actor who was on Babylon 5? He sounded really familiar but I didn't notice him in IMDB

A big kudos to Kevin Smith. He wrote a good but seamless episode of Supergirl. I like that he continued the storyline, but wrote a better-than-average episode. I liked this episode a lot, despite my complaints above.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 PM

Winn: "I am not a redshirt! I am not a redshirt!"
Old 01-24-2017, 03:14 AM

Now we're thinking with Portals

Over on The Flash, the two episodes that Kevin Smith directed had his directorial stamp all over them. Here on Supergirl, this episode played pretty much like any other episode. Just a few geeky references (perfectly in-character for Winn) and the casting of his daughter as the missing girl seemed to be the only unique things the director brought in. It's just too bad Cat Grant isn't really part of the show any more; I think her snark would have been extra snappy with Kevin at the helm.

I didn't expect the Dominators (well, a Dominator) to show up in this episode. And they're not even the Big Bad. Speaking of which, they're taking their own sweet time developing those hooded figures chasing after Mon-el, and that's fine by me.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:26 AM

And what's up with them letting Mon El go? Was it just because he was Daxum and they knew it or is Mon El evil?
Old 01-24-2017, 12:08 PM

So Kara and Jimmy are each pitching their story about how the jewel thieves got busted by Supergirl and Guardian, and I'm thinking that they are both burying the lede - jewel thieves are wandering around the city with missile launchers now?
Old 01-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Goddamn, I hate the "Snapper Carr" they've got, and I dislike the actor playing him.

There's unlikeable-but-fun (Kat Grant, Penguin on Gotham prior to this season) and there's simply-an-annoying-douchebag. Smarmy himbo Mon-El, leans towards the "annoying" side, but manages to stay on the "fun" side. "Snapper" goes through the annoying-douchebag category and comes out the other side. And unless the actor's directions are "Play him as an unmitigated douche with no redeeming qualities or hidden depths", the actor kinda sucks too. (Also, either grow a fucking beard or shave, goddamn it. You look like Homer Simpson/Fred Flintstone)
At least with the last scene they're giving him a little "I'm going to be mean so you work harder to prove me wrong" vibe. I like the actor OK but I definitely think they've made him way too grumpy and it's leaning into the unbelievable side.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Over on The Flash, the two episodes that Kevin Smith directed had his directorial stamp all over them. Here on Supergirl, this episode played pretty much like any other episode. Just a few geeky references (perfectly in-character for Winn) and the casting of his daughter as the missing girl seemed to be the only unique things the director brought in. It's just too bad Cat Grant isn't really part of the show any more; I think her snark would have been extra snappy with Kevin at the helm.
I've never watched The Flash, so I didn't see Kevin Smith's episodes, but does he even have a directorial stamp? I've always thought that Smith's touch was most evident in writing, and he didn't write this episode. Maybe The Flash allows more on-set dialog changes than Supergirl for some reason.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I've never watched The Flash, so I didn't see Kevin Smith's episodes, but does he even have a directorial stamp? I've always thought that Smith's touch was most evident in writing, and he didn't write this episode. Maybe The Flash allows more on-set dialog changes than Supergirl for some reason.
Over on The Flash thread, some folks were unaware that Kevin Smith was directing until afterwards, but nonetheless still noted a change in tone. Some dialog was extra snarky and the delivery was extra snappy. In the first episode he directed, some scenes were especially emotional (due to overarching plot reasons) and Smith managed to make them heartfelt without getting maudlin or overly sentimental. There was also the Jason Mewes cameo. Smith's second Flash episode had Greg Grunberg guest star.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Thinking about it further, the bit with Jimmy and Kara pitching their respective stories to Snapper had a definite Kevin Smith imprint. Jimmy even managed to show some character for a change.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:59 PM

I hated this episode, and didn't realize Smith directed it. I should have, as I spotted his daughter Harley because I tried watching Yoga Hosers on Netflix recently.

Supergirl/Kara repeatedly stating she would fix everything without the slightest idea how or doing anything remotely rational, Jimmy (acting head of a media empire and former photographer) writing a story to compete with a cub reporter. (Heck, don't they all write for a magazine rather than a newspaper, anyway? By the time they publish, such an article will be old news. Which begs the question why mom is there about her missing daughter...) Winn didn't nearly die because he lost a fight, he nearly died because he was so busy celebrating a lucky punch like an idiot he didn't notice the fight wasn't over. So what's he do next time? Endzone dance after a couple of lucky hits instead of confirming is opponent was down for the count. And c'mon, Alex was practically bi-polar in this ep.

I don't expect gritty realism from the CW shows (Arrow is gritty, but not realistic) but the characters usually act somewhat rational.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Heck, don't they all write for a magazine rather than a newspaper, anyway? By the time they publish, such an article will be old news.
Cat Grant isn't called "Queen of All Media" for nothing. The flagship of CatCo Worldwide Media is certainly the magazine, but they're also in radio (Leslie Willis/Livewire was a shock jock) and television (as shown in the Season 1 finale). Snapper Carr is editor-in-chief of the daily newspaper.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 AM

It seems Kara the reporter has spunk. Why Snapper doesn't hate spunk is beyond me. Mon-El is a strange hedonist from another planet with powers and abilities not so different from half the other aliens. Sixpack Olson and Toyman Jr. need to get a room. Seriously. I miss Cat Grant. And I am a firm believer in the glasses being an inexplicably effective disguise. Fun, silly show for as long as it lasts.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 AM

I loved the friendly alien who returned to Earth with the gang. He reminded me so much of Mongo from Blazing Saddles.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:11 PM

This is the fault of the script, not Kevin Smith (who did a fine, if fairly anonymous, job), but boy do I wish that people didn't do stupid stupid stupid stupid things quite so often on this show. (Mainly the good guys, but also the bad guys.)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
...And c'mon, Alex was practically bi-polar in this ep.
..l.
Agreed, her character was irrational plot filler. I also really disliked her relationship with Cop-girl, it seems slightly creepy and future-abusive that Cop-girl is giving Kara a "just once" ultimatum for showing a small bit of emotion and doubt. That isn't love, that's control.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 PM

^^^I meant Alex, not Kara above