The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I loved the friendly alien who returned to Earth with the gang. He reminded me so much of Mongo from Blazing Saddles.
He's just a pawn in the game of life.
Advertisements  
Old 01-25-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
He's just a pawn in the game of life.
I'm worried he's going to be a regular as comic relief (thinking Screech) - which is nearly as bad as introducing a baby.

And agreed that cop lady was way to quick to immediately give up on Alex, assuming she is also 'in love'. Particularly since she had the Kara/SG thing figured out, so knew why Alex was upset. And asking your BAE to leave the office so you can get some work done (particularly when in general your job is saving the world) doesn't seem like an instant breakup offense.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
Agreed, her character was irrational plot filler. I also really disliked her relationship with Cop-girl, it seems slightly creepy and future-abusive that Cop-girl is giving Kara a "just once" ultimatum for showing a small bit of emotion and doubt. That isn't love, that's control.
No, it's saying I'm into you, but I can't handle the (or at least this particular) roller-coaster, and if this is who you are, I'm getting off at the next stop. She's being up-front about what her deal-breakers are. That's being honest about whom she (Maggie) is.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
No, it's saying I'm into you, but I can't handle the (or at least this particular) roller-coaster, and if this is who you are, I'm getting off at the next stop. She's being up-front about what her deal-breakers are. That's being honest about whom she (Maggie) is.
Sure, but there's a difference between saying "hey, this behavior really bothers me" and "if this happens literally one more time ever no matter what we are done period".

The second is appropriate for, say, physical abuse... but pretty arbitrary for understandable if unpleasant emotional behavior.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:19 AM

S02E10: We Can Be Heroes

1. Good comedy with Mon-el's training.
  2. The return of Livewire, who makes for a great nemesis for Supergirl.
  3. Spunky Kara actually being a reporter.
  4. Good drama with Kara finding out that Jimmy is Guardian.
  5. Good understated interplay between Alex and Maggie.
  6. Great twist with Livewire being used by a different bad guy to make copies of her.
On the last point, however, said bad guy turned out to be just another disposable villain-of-the-week, all too easily dispatched once all the super friends got together, and whom we'll never see again.

They also had to go and sideline J'onn having to watch over M'gann with a completely unrelated B-plot. I know they are using those scenes to set up for a future episode
SPOILER:
The next episode is entitled "The Martian Chronicles"
but their placement here was out of place and distracting. If they had moved the M'gann scenes out of this episode, they could have used the extra time to develop the Livewire copier (what was his name, anyway?).
Old 01-31-2017, 07:49 AM

I'm convinced that Mon-El and Supergirl will be doing the interplanetary nasty before the end of the season. Disappointed in Mon-El's uniform, if that's what it's going to be. I like the 1960's version better.

So how does Mon-El fight crime? Being vulnerable to lead has major disadvantages.

Live Wire is cool. Hope to see some more of her.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 AM

I hated this episode. Kara isn't (or shouldn't be) stupid. She's 20 years younger than Jimmy Olsen and completely unrelated to him. He's a grown-up man and it's condescending (with a vaguely racist subtext) for her to be telling him what he can and cannot do with his life.

I still hate Himbo Mon-El (and...why is he called "Mon-El"? His name is Lar Gand and was only named Mon-El because of a convenient '60s bonk-on-the-head=amnesia plot contrived to make Superboy think Lar was his older brother. So why's he called it here?

I agree with Terminus's comment about the J'onn/M'gan thing--it was crammed in and the build up took longer than the actual event.

I dunno--to me, this episode was utter crap.

PS: What's wrong with Alex? Vegan ice cream is probably made of tofu and not inherently disgusting. They should have said "Vegan Turkey" or some such.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:58 AM

Oh, vegan ice cream! I didn't hear the key word clearly, and so couldn't figure out what was so disgusting about it. I agree with Alex. There are some proper Asian-style silken tofu desserts that don't depend on disguising it as something else.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
So how does Mon-El fight crime? Being vulnerable to lead has major disadvantages.
Imagine a show where he just solves every problem at telescopic range.

(Getaway car? The tires get lasered. The bank robber in that car? His gun gets lasered, too; the cops can take it from here. Look, up in the sky: I see nothing!)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 AM

Yeah, Mon-El needs something to wear besides a button down shirt, slacks, and a pair of shades.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:33 PM

Kara getting so bent out of shape about non-powered people being heroes makes no sense given that's what her sister does.

Which could have been great... she gets all stressed out about trying to keep James safe. And he says "what about your sister?". And then she has a total breakdown and talks about how nervous she gets every time Alex goes out on a mission but she knows it would alienate Alex forever for Kara to try to keep her safe, so she's been keeping it inside forever, and now it's coming out in a need to protect James. Something like that could be fantastic and meaningful. Instead we get nonsense. Too much nonsense to list. But, really, you have a deadly uncatchable supernatural assassin in your jail and the only extra security she gets is a bucket of water? And how did those thugs restrain her after kidnapping her? Yada yada yada.

On another note entirely, I believe that fake livewire was played by Jessie Graff, greatest female American Ninja Warrior competitor ever, and longtime stunt double. Go Jessie!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:06 PM

By the way--was the mad scientist ever named? If not, he could easily be Professor Ivo who invented Amazo had a secondary shtick of duplicating heroes powers in himself and others.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Has Mon-El's vulnerability to lead been established on the show yet? I don't remember hearing it mentioned yet this season.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Has Mon-El's vulnerability to lead been established on the show yet? I don't remember hearing it mentioned yet this season.
Lilian Luthor threatened to shoot him when he and Kara were imprisoned by CADMUS.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 PM

Did you think there were possible hints of Supergirl losing control of her powers?

She accidentally hurt the guard and crushed that 'toy' (no actually it is expensive).

I understand that within the context of the episode it was supposed to be her being angry but maybe it was more than that. Supergirl, like Superman, are very careful to keep their strength under control. Superman losing control of his powers has shown up from time to time in the comics.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Lilian Luthor threatened to shoot him when he and Kara were imprisoned by CADMUS.
But weren't they in some kind of special prison cell that robbed them of their powers? Wouldn't matter what the bullet was made out of, if they weren't bulletproof any more.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 AM

Fenris wrote: "I hated this episode. Kara isn't (or shouldn't be) stupid. She's 20 years younger than Jimmy Olsen and completely unrelated to him. He's a grown-up man and it's condescending (with a vaguely racist subtext) for her to be telling him what he can and cannot do with his life."

Kryptonians can be that way.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
But weren't they in some kind of special prison cell that robbed them of their powers? Wouldn't matter what the bullet was made out of, if they weren't bulletproof any more.
As I recall, Lillian mentioned Mon-El's unique vulnerability as she was threatening to shoot him.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Fenris wrote: "I hated this episode. Kara isn't (or shouldn't be) stupid. She's 20 years younger than Jimmy Olsen and completely unrelated to him. He's a grown-up man and it's condescending (with a vaguely racist subtext) for her to be telling him what he can and cannot do with his life."

Kryptonians can be that way.
Unlike Clark, Kara actually had a Kryptonian upbringing, which means that she can (for example) have a prejudice against Daxamites and be pretty darn condescending to non-super-powered folks in general.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
I still hate Himbo Mon-El (and...why is he called "Mon-El"? His name is Lar Gand and was only named Mon-El because of a convenient '60s bonk-on-the-head=amnesia plot contrived to make Superboy think Lar was his older brother. So why's he called it here?
Maybe it's not Mon-El, but M'Onel, like it was in the comics that one time?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
Maybe it's not Mon-El, but M'Onel, like it was in the comics that one time?
Oh god....I'd forgotten/blocked that memory ("M'Onel is Martian for Hope" or some such).
Old 02-02-2017, 03:10 PM

In the comics -- at least, during the Silver/Bronze Ages -- Daxamites, unlike Kryptonians exposed to kryptonite, did not recover when the lead that weakened them was taken away. That's why Superboy had to project Mon-El into the Phantom Zone to save his life. Once he was exposed to lead, he was doomed, until Brainiac 5 invented a cure ten centuries later.

I assume that's not true of Daxamites in the CWverse.

Last edited by Cartoonacy; 02-02-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Old 02-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
By the way--was the mad scientist ever named? If not, he could easily be Professor Ivo who invented Amazo had a secondary shtick of duplicating heroes powers in himself and others.
IMDB just credits him as "Mad Scientist." I like your idea.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:11 AM

S02E11: The Martian Chronicles

Hey, look, it's Agent Vasquez! She was my favorite ascended extra of the first season. She went missing when the show moved to Vancouver. It's great to see her again.

I'm a bit disappointed that Jimmy's broken coffee table wasn't mentioned. (In case you missed it, Vibe and Gypsy smashed it while they were fighting interdimensionally on The Flash.) But since Jimmy Olsen never appeared in this episode, I guess we can be thankful for small favors.

This episode had so much potential with the paranoia of not knowing who was the White Martian amongst them. But then they had to saddle it with so much relationship drama. Kara and Mon-El. Kara and Alex. Alex and Maggie. J'onn and M'gann. Sheesh.

Mon-El makes three out of three that Kara has friendzoned. Is this some sort of pattern?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:41 AM

This ep was about 10,000 times better than the last one. Everyone was mostly mature (except Supergirl who still has issues, but that's becoming pretty much part of her character), the paranoia stuff

I would like to know the status of Fire vs Martians in a little more detail (both here and in the DCU). Originally pre-Crisis you could take the MM out with a match because he loses all his powers and becomes weak*. This is stupid but easy. Post Crisis they've changed it like 50 times: it's all psychological and only to J'Onn because he had to burn his family in a pyre. All Martians have the same psychological disorder. It's a mix of allergic/psychological. Something-something H"Ronmeer the God did something=fire bad. Final revision before the New 52 reboot (that I'm aware of) was back to the start when in Morrison's JLA humanity defeated a horde of white Martians by everyone holding up lit candles (awsome scene). I don't know what it's post-Flashpoint status was.

Since they introduced it, I hope they spend 2 or 3 sentences explaining the mechanics a tiny bit.

Who's the third guy that Kara friendzoned: Jimmy (who's 25 years old too old for her) and Mon-El (who's an annoying himbo). Did she friendzone Wynn? (If so, mistake. He's the only male she knows who's the right age who's not a douche)

*Mars didn't have fire, they had some sort of blue lightning-plasma stuff.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 AM

I enjoyed this last episode, but I really wish it had been more action-oriented and less angsty / relationshipy . SHEESH!! Too much of that gets old, really fast...
Old 02-07-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Who's the third guy that Kara friendzoned: Jimmy (who's 25 years old too old for her) and Mon-El (who's an annoying himbo). Did she friendzone Wynn? (If so, mistake. He's the only male she knows who's the right age who's not a douche)
Yes, Kara friendzoned Winn as she had the hots for Jimmy at the time. This was even before they discovered that he was the Toyman's son. He did alright for himself, though; he got to do the nasty with Silver Banshee. I agree that Winn makes a good match for Kara. Also, he makes for a better Jimmy than don't-call-me-Jimmy.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
It was Wynn, who confessed that he was in love with Kara even before learning that she had super powers.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Decent episode but there are just too many questions left out in the open. Questions like:

1. Why did Supergirl duck when the White Martian sprayed the fire across everyone?

2. Why Bare Naked Ladies?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Decent episode but there are just too many questions left out in the open. Questions like:

1. Why did Supergirl duck when the White Martian sprayed the fire across everyone?
I wonder how much social conditioning has affected Kara: she probably has a lot of human mannerisms and "do what everyone else in the room is doing" is instinctual in people.

Then again, Superman regularly takes a full clip from a handgun and then ducks when the gun is thrown at him. The usual reason for that is that George Reeves is not actually being shot, but is actually having a prop thrown at him, and he doesn't want to get smacked with it. Melissa Benoist probably doesn't want second degree burns any more than the rest of the cast.

Quote:
2. Why Bare Naked Ladies?
Why not, they are awesome!

Also, they get to make the "One Week" quip right before Alex rushes off to call Maggie and apologize for missing the concert.

My question is: Why, when there are mere minutes left to find a guy before half the city gets vaporized, do the protagonists take long drawn out moments to have drama about their feelings instead of continuing the search. Geez guys, sort out your problems during therapy, not during the "keep millions from dying" part of your life.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 AM

Question: did they yet followup on the revelation the President of the United States is an alien in disguise?
Old 02-07-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
I wonder how much social conditioning has affected Kara: she probably has a lot of human mannerisms and "do what everyone else in the room is doing" is instinctual in people.

Then again, Superman regularly takes a full clip from a handgun and then ducks when the gun is thrown at him. The usual reason for that is that George Reeves is not actually being shot, but is actually having a prop thrown at him, and he doesn't want to get smacked with it. Melissa Benoist probably doesn't want second degree burns any more than the rest of the cast.

Why not, they are awesome!

Also, they get to make the "One Week" quip right before Alex rushes off to call Maggie and apologize for missing the concert.

My question is: Why, when there are mere minutes left to find a guy before half the city gets vaporized, do the protagonists take long drawn out moments to have drama about their feelings instead of continuing the search. Geez guys, sort out your problems during therapy, not during the "keep millions from dying" part of your life.
In Supergirl's case, it was the fake Alex who initiated the discussion, probably in an effort to catch her off guard. Remember, the white Martians had a mental link with the persons they were impersonating.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
In Supergirl's case, it was the fake Alex who initiated the discussion, probably in an effort to catch her off guard. Remember, the white Martians had a mental link with the persons they were impersonating.
Fair point, although in fairness Kara should be able to tell her sister to table it for a bit.

M'gann and J'onn don't have the excuse of an impersonator though.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:46 PM

And why was J'onn J'onnz stalking around with an automatic rifle? Dude has Martian powers.

Last edited by Intergalactic Gladiator; 02-07-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Old 02-08-2017, 07:00 AM

At the end of the recent episode, Kara watches a bit of an old movies and I thought the dialogue sounded familiar ("people who are 'top drawer'") - it was "Mame."
Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
And why was J'onn J'onnz stalking around with an automatic rifle? Dude has Martian powers.
Would you rather have Martian powers with a gun or Martian powers without a gun?
Old 02-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Corbin's shirt must be lead lined, else Supergirl would have felt the kryptonite at that range. Let's see if they try to explain it, or ignore it because they feel it's more dramatic.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 PM

I am really sick of the interpersonal drama.

That said, poor Kara's been getting cockblocked since literally the first scene of the first episode of the first season. I feel bad for her.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:51 AM

Did Supergirl just blurt out the name "Clark" in front of Maggie? These people are really, really bad at keeping secrets.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:31 AM

As I expected, Lena was actually Lionel's daughter by another woman. I find it hard to believe she didn't roll her eyes when Lillian told her that. "Yeah, like I hadn't figured that out." There had to have been rumors about her adoption.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lena turns out to be related to some other DC character.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Did Supergirl just blurt out the name "Clark" in front of Maggie? These people are really, really bad at keeping secrets.
They work in the DEO, whose security is apparently such that anybody can walk in on a whim if they feel like chatting with the main characters. Blurting out secret identities is the least of their problems.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I actually paused the show when that happened to do a double take on it.

It also really bugs me that nobody realizes that both Kara and Supergirl have the exact same chickenpox scar. For some reason I can suspend my disbelief on nobody recognizing her, but that scar totally ruins it for me.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I actually paused the show when that happened to do a double take on it.

It also really bugs me that nobody realizes that both Kara and Supergirl have the exact same chickenpox scar. For some reason I can suspend my disbelief on nobody recognizing her, but that scar totally ruins it for me.
Where is that scar? I've never seen it. Obviously it's not on her legs.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
For that matter, how does a Kryptonian get a chicken pox scar in the first place?

Obviously the producers found the actress they wanted and she has a chicken pox scar. Melissa Benoist is sufficiently good in the title role that I'm willing to cut them slack on the issue.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Where is that scar? I've never seen it. Obviously it's not on her legs.
It's a small circular scar near the center of her forehead.

It doesn't bother me. If you buy that people--even people up close to her--don't recognize her just because she tucks her hair up and wears glasses, then you can buy that the scar doesn't clue them in either.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

It's not from chicken pox. Kara had flartag pox as a child on Krypton.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
It's a small circular scar near the center of her forehead.

It doesn't bother me. If you buy that people--even people up close to her--don't recognize her just because she tucks her hair up and wears glasses, then you can buy that the scar doesn't clue them in either.
Darned if I see it, I've looked at about a dozen photos of her online (a dirty job but someone has to do it) and I don't see it. Wouldn't makeup conceal it?

Oh, found it.

Last edited by BobLibDem; 02-14-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Why do the producers of Supergirl seem determined to turn it into Smallville? There's already enough interpersonal drama without the crappy Lionel/Lex Lillian/Lena daddy mommy-issues drivel. Smallville kinda sucked and turning Supergirl into it is not a good idea.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Why do the producers of Supergirl seem determined to turn it into Smallville? There's already enough interpersonal drama without the crappy Lionel/Lex Lillian/Lena daddy mommy-issues drivel. Smallville kinda sucked and turning Supergirl into it is not a good idea.
Yeah, that is getting on my nerves, as well. A little bit of drama, I understand. But it is just a bit much, lately. I want more action, less personal stuff!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
It's not from chicken pox. Kara had flartag pox as a child on Krypton.
Exactly. Kara said (in a flashback) that Krypton didn't have birds.