The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Why do the producers of Supergirl seem determined to turn it into Smallville?
It did change networks, and CW does have a distinct style.

I'm still sad they took one of my top 10 Legionnaires and screwed him up. Not too fond of this portrayal of the Martian Manhunter either. Surprisingly, I don't mind this version of Guardian, though having him be Jimmy Olsen (I know - conservation of characters and actor expense) is an issue.
Advertisements  
Old 02-14-2017, 09:03 PM

Not sure I'm a fan of the Lena Luthor is good...or is she BUM BUM BUM! ending.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Why do the producers of Supergirl seem determined to turn it into Smallville? There's already enough interpersonal drama without the crappy Lionel/Lex Lillian/Lena daddy mommy-issues drivel. Smallville kinda sucked and turning Supergirl into it is not a good idea.
Could well be you're not the target audience, my friend. My girls - 16 and 12 - as well as their friends...eat it up and want some more. It's the most girl-powered thing I maybe have ever seen.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Not sure I'm a fan of the Lena Luthor is good...or is she BUM BUM BUM! ending.
I like the Lena character. Prolly will turn evil eventually.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

From the end of last week's episode, it appears that
SPOILER:
We're about to have a Mxyzptlk episode. Or as those of us who grew up with the Super Friends call him, "Mister Mixle-plick".
Old 02-21-2017, 03:18 AM

Poor Jimmy Olsen. Friendzoned so hard that he didn't even appear in the Valentine's Day episode. Good on Winn for getting some hot alien action.

I guess Mon-el and Kara is actually going to be a thing. And the stupid secret Mon-el's been keeping is going to come between them in the future. I'm on to you CW.

I'm vaguely disappointed by this episode. Mxyzptlk* was rather menacing here, due to his infatuation with Kara. I expect him to be more a creature of pure chaos, doing random stuff just of the hell of it, rather than having a specific goal in mind.

*Chrome's built-in spellchecker amazingly has this in its dictionary.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:53 AM

I really don't think Mon-el's secret is going to be all that shocking - turns out he really is the Prince of Daxam, not the Prince's friend, or something like that...this will probably become relevant when his arranged-marriage wife comes looking for him or some similarly 'humourous' event...
Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 AM

I liked Mr. Mxyzptlk, though I would have preferred him to be a little bald guy in the orange suit and purple bowler. Writing the name backwards was a little bit of a cheat, in my opinion. Superman always found a way to trick him into saying Kltpzyxm! I have to admit he has a good fashion sense, Kara really rocked that wedding dress.

I think the Alex lesbian romance is getting to be too much of a distraction. The Winn-alien affair was a little too far out there. Why should the aliens' sexual apparatus be compatible with humans?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I liked Mr. Mxyzptlk, though I would have preferred him to be a little bald guy in the orange suit and purple bowler. Writing the name backwards was a little bit of a cheat, in my opinion. Superman always found a way to trick him into saying Kltpzyxm!
Off the top of my head, John Byrne did the First-Meeting-Of-Mxy-And-Superman story with the twist of making it seem like the imp's name is maybe unpronounceable by us simpletons, and so he'll provide one by rapidly and casually tapping away at the keys of a typewriter as if at random, and -- hey, okay, MXYZPTLK, sure, let's go with that for the backwards-name challenge, because, what the heck, why not.

Superman does his best to keep the mischief from killing anyone; and then shows up, typewriter at hand, to speechify about how the supposed gamesman isn't treating this seriously, since that's not really what a name is, is it? It's just a bunch of marks you made at random! You'd get a completely different result if you did that again!

To eye-rollingly address this slur on his fair-play bona fides by proving the big guy wrong, Mxyzptlk makes a big show of tapping away just as casually and rapidly as before. Except he's using magic to cheat. Except that's okay, because Superman mucked with the innards so the "M" key now prints a "K", and so on.

The guy disappears in a puff of logic.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I liked Mr. Mxyzptlk, though I would have preferred him to be a little bald guy in the orange suit and purple bowler.
I was a bit disappointed that they didn't depict him like that, myself. But no, they had to go with the stereotypical hunky / quirky fellow! I still enjoyed the episode, though.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:44 AM

Mr. M. does have a history of romantic inclination. I do remember him pursuing Lucy Lane and would not be surprised if he went after Supergirl at one point or another.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:00 AM

I'll admit I wasn't paying as much attention as I could have, but why did Supergirl show up in the Fortress with a glass of orange juice in hand? And drink some of the orange juice before she would answer Mxy? And then put the glass down and never mention it again? I must have missed something, right?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:42 AM

The orange suit and the purple bowler are for Superman, for Kara, he went the the "hunky guy" appearance for, well, obvious reasons. We've had some information that neither is his real appearance. Still, at least the hat would have been nice.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:42 PM

And Aliens on this show have officially become the same thing demons were on Buffy: originally a secret and a big deal but now just people in make up who apparently go out to dinner and it's no biggie.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
I'll admit I wasn't paying as much attention as I could have, but why did Supergirl show up in the Fortress with a glass of orange juice in hand? And drink some of the orange juice before she would answer Mxy? And then put the glass down and never mention it again? I must have missed something, right?
IIRC, early on he playfully specified that he didn't have direct power over whether he wins her heart -- or whether she dies -- or whether she drinks orange juice. So that first part explains why he pulls all those hijinks instead of hitting her with a love spell, and the second explains why he frenziedly punches in that mundane solution at the end, and I guess the orange juice was just a callback to the third.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:14 PM

I think there's some interesting ethical considerations here. What if Kara said "sure, I"ll consider marrying you if you: (1) cure cancer, (2) cure world hunger, (3) change the laws of reality so that no WMD will ever work in the solar system", and a few other such wishes (carefully phrased to avoid monkey paws). Frankly, it's kind of selfish of her not to do so.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM

I didn't care for this version of Mxyzptlk so much. He's supposed to be an imp, not a good looking fella with perfect 5:00 shadow. The fact that he's small and goofy yet dangerous is kind of the point.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
IIRC, early on he playfully specified that he didn't have direct power over whether he wins her heart -- or whether she dies -- or whether she drinks orange juice. So that first part explains why he pulls all those hijinks instead of hitting her with a love spell, and the second explains why he frenziedly punches in that mundane solution at the end, and I guess the orange juice was just a callback to the third.
Yes, the orange juice was just a pointed reminder of the rules Mxy enumerated at the start of the episode. He can't control Kara on matters of love, death, and orange juice.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Yes, the orange juice was just a pointed reminder of the rules Mxy enumerated at the start of the episode. He can't control Kara on matters of love, death, and orange juice.
Now I remember that. At first I thought it was some odd homage to the Godfather where oranges foreshadow death.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Could well be you're not the target audience, my friend. My girls - 16 and 12 - as well as their friends...eat it up and want some more. It's the most girl-powered thing I maybe have ever seen.
Did your girls watch Agent Carter while it was on? If they like this, they may like those as well.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Yes! I'd forgotten that. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Do we know if the Lara's species doesn't implant thier young into thier mate or something? You know there is going to be some drama there (and not just human dating an alien)

Brian