The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-18-2016, 04:52 PM

So the cross over is coming, and all 4 shows are gonna be involved. Since I am only watching legends at the moment, do I have to binge on the flarrowverse and supergirl as well, or is it mainly a stand alone episode.
Advertisements  
Old 11-19-2016, 02:13 AM

Declan, I've started a new thread where I've answered your question and where we can talk about the crossover:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=811347
Old 11-19-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Declan, I've started a new thread where I've answered your question and where we can talk about the crossover:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=811347

Thanks Terminus, just got home from work so I will check it out later
Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 AM

S02E08: The Chicago Way

I am glad the Waverider flies outside of time, so there's no sappy Christmas imagery in this episode. I had quite enough of that in the other two shows, thank you very much.

The writers need to stop it with the Snart teases. First the Captain Cold hologram in The Flash and now the Snart in Mick's head. Just bring him back, already.

The three current members of the Legion of Doom are trying to outdo each other in chewing up the scenery. Just when you thought it couldn't get any cheesier, it turns out RF wants to find the Spear of Destiny.

Fuckups for this episode:

1. Ray letting corrupt cops take Elliot Ness.

2. Stein letting aforementioned corrupt cops with Ness walk right past him.

3. Stein ordering a "club soda".

4. The raid on the speakeasy could count, but since the Legion of Doom planned for it to go down that way, I'll give this one a pass.

5. Not putting Stein in sickbay right after they recovered him. Sara knew they had tortured him. They should at least have given the old man a checkup. Gideon would have picked up that it wasn't Stein right quick.

Speaking of Gideon, she got in some good snarky lines. When Nate joked about fixing Mick's brain damage, Gideon said, "Who's to say I haven't?"

Finally, WTF is Rip doing directing movies in the 1960s??? With an American accent, no less.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Just when you thought it couldn't get any cheesier, it turns out RF wants to find the Spear of Destiny.
Good luck with that! It is safe in the Library.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The three current members of the Legion of Doom are trying to outdo each other in chewing up the scenery. Just when you thought it couldn't get any cheesier, it turns out RF wants to find the Spear of Destiny.
I :rolleye:'d when they brought Malcom Merlin in. He's not clever, he's not funny, he's just boring. It was like in the '90s when they decided they needed a super-competent villian and kept trying to give upgrades to Deathstroke and The Mist (to the point where Deathstroke or The Mist could take out an entire team of JLA members). Just kill Malcolm off already.

Quote:
Speaking of Gideon, she got in some good snarky lines. When Nate joked about fixing Mick's brain damage, Gideon said, "Who's to say I haven't?"
I was wondering if she was serious. I mentioned elsewhere that I was rewatching Flash S01 and there's very little connection between the Big Grumpy Teddy-Bear version of Heatwave on Legends and the psycho pyromaniac on Flash. I like the Big Grumpy Teddybear version---the pyro wouldn't make a good teammate. But what if Gideon really is "fixing" his psychoses and pyromania? And the Snart hallucinations are his subconscious trying to warn him?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM

Also: how'd Gideon get on the Waverider?
A) Future Barry will build Gideon--it's a one-of-a-kind apparently.
B) Thawn will steal Gideon in the future and bring it back to 1990 or whenever Nora was killed.
C) Thawn takes over Well's life and sometime while building STAR Labs will install Gideon behind a secret panel
D) Circa 2014, Barry and Co. discover the secret panel and talk to Gideon one time. Gideon tells present Barry that Gideon is 100% loyal to Barry because Future!Barry will build Gideon.
E) Wells/Thawn gets outed and empties out the secret panel area, including Gideon who's never seen/referenced again on Flash.
F) A season and a half pass
G) Rip shows up on Arrow and has Gideon installed on the Waverider.

What happened between F and G?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros View Post
Good luck with that! It is safe in the Library.
You sure it's not in the Warehouse?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Also: how'd Gideon get on the Waverider?
A) Future Barry will build Gideon--it's a one-of-a-kind apparently.
B) Thawn will steal Gideon in the future and bring it back to 1990 or whenever Nora was killed.
C) Thawn takes over Well's life and sometime while building STAR Labs will install Gideon behind a secret panel
D) Circa 2014, Barry and Co. discover the secret panel and talk to Gideon one time. Gideon tells present Barry that Gideon is 100% loyal to Barry because Future!Barry will build Gideon.
E) Wells/Thawn gets outed and empties out the secret panel area, including Gideon who's never seen/referenced again on Flash.

Don't forget, each Time Master had their own personal AI installed on each time ship, each with a different name and voice. The connection between Barry/Eobard's Gideon and Rip's Gideon, if indeed there is one, has yet to be made.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:37 PM

Schedule change

Please note, when the show comes back after the winter hiatus, it will be on TUESDAY Jan 24 at 9 PM, right after The Flash.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:39 PM

Have they canceled iZombie, or is that changing timeslots, too?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
Have they canceled iZombie, or is that changing timeslots, too?
Apparently, iZombie is coming back in April(!?) in its regular slot, after Legends concludes its season. Maybe. I really have no idea how the scheduling works out.
http://deadline.com/2016/11/the-cw-m...ow-1201855680/

Last edited by Terminus Est; 12-09-2016 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Added link
Old 12-09-2016, 09:16 PM

Do people think there's some kind of possible connection between "head Snart" and the person showing up in the last minute of this week's "Arrow"?
Old 12-09-2016, 09:35 PM

Maybe they're doing a ghost of Christmas past theme.

Regarding Gideon, I suppose since future Flash put the secret message on board, he could have installed Gideon too. When is the question. I bet she's got some secret programming that hasn't been activated yet.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Do people think there's some kind of possible connection between "head Snart" and the person showing up in the last minute of this week's "Arrow"?
I can't even imagine how these two might be connected, unless it's somehow Barry's fault.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:06 PM

Well, nobody besides Mick sees "head Snart", and we don't know yet if anybody besides Ollie sees, well, you know who.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:26 AM

In this video, Blake Neely talks about how he went about composing music for the crossover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E80o4Z7zUbA
Old 12-11-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Not to put to fine a point on it - but it is a timeship. Any amount of time subjective time could have passed. The secret message from future Barry shows that he and Rip know each other in Barry's future, so Barry may have given Gideon to him. Heck, this Gideon may be from 'before' the Gideon in the hidden room.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:23 AM

Just reminding everyone that LoT is coming back this week, on TUESDAY at 9PM, right after The Flash.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:22 AM

It's back.

Okay episode, except for Rip's accent. That was cringeworthy. The secret origin of George Lucas was mildly amusing. Lots of self referential quips. Palmer and Steele remembering that Lucas inspired them but not having powers made no sense.

Looks like head Snart might be gone.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:46 AM

I didn't mind Rip's (terrible) accent, because Rip Hunter shouldn't have an upper-class British accent.

They really just need to bite the bullet and come up with a hard-and-fast (if arbitrary) new limitation for Firestorm--they can only merge once a day/week/whatever because...um...science or whatever. So many problems could be solved by Firestorm and the hoops they're going through to keep Jax and the Prof from merging are getting stoopid (brain-surgery? Really?*) Firestorm could easily crispy-fry two-thirds of the Legion of Doom (I don't know how skilled this version of Zoom is (which version of Zoom is he anyway? From Douche-Harrison's world or what?)

*When did Heat Wave become (literally) retarded? He was always a big dumb thug, but literally everyone of normal intelligence understands "Doctor of Nuclear Physics does not equal Medical Doctor".

Last edited by Fenris; 01-25-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Old 01-25-2017, 11:14 AM

I rather enjoyed the self-referential commentary on the lack of menace on the part of the Big Bad of Season One. Captain Hunter, I mean, film student Phil shouldn't blame his actor; Vandal Savage really was underwhelming. Especially, as Rip pointed out, when compared to the Legion of Doom, who project menace just standing around.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post

Looks like head Snart might be gone.
I'm hoping that the "scattered in the time stream" means he will come back sometime.

Quote:
*When did Heat Wave become (literally) retarded? He was always a big dumb thug, but literally everyone of normal intelligence understands "Doctor of Nuclear Physics does not equal Medical Doctor".
What happened to everything the Time Masters taught him? I think a much more interesting storyline would be "What does a big dumb thug do when he's been given immense knowledge?"

Also, I was really hoping that the episode would have ended with Gideon playing The Phantom Menace.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
It's back.

The secret origin of George Lucas was mildly amusing. Lots of self referential quips.
At one point the actor playing Lucas was doing a bit of the Crispen Glover as George McFly cracking voice, which I thought was amusing.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 PM

I'm sure being pushed into the garbage pit left an impression on Lucas for a long, long time.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:45 AM

During Season 1 Len Snart told Sarah that the first day he'd been on the Waverider he'd cased it to see if there was anything worth stealing. "There wasn't." He would've hit the ceiling if he'd known he'd missed the Spear of Destiny. Even if he hadn't known what it was, if he'd found anything in that good of a hiding place, he would've taken it on principle.

And wouldn't it have been fun to see the look on Rip Hunter's face when he found the Spear missing. I can just picture him grumbling, "Snart."
Old 01-31-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I did a double-take when Gideon listed George Lucas' birthdate. He and my mom were born on the same day ... 75 miles apart (Modesto and Sacramento, respectively).
Old 02-01-2017, 11:19 AM

S02E10: The Legion of Doom

The various members of the Legion of Doom having a scenery-chewing competition was so much fun. Reverse Flash's plan for the Spear of Destiny actually made a lot of sense, as well as what the other two want to do with it. The reason RF kept running off also made sense, and was entirely consistent with what we've already seen of time travel via the Speedforce. It strikes me that, despite the writers seemingly throwing random crap up at the screen to see what sticks, this show might actually be the most carefully plotted out of all the CW shows.

Martin Stein should really have told Lily to hook up with the folks at S.T.A.R. Labs. Despite some recent additions, they still need the brainpower over there.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Usually when we see people with powers learning to cooperate after squabbling at first, it's the heroes. Fun to see it done with the villains.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 PM

No mention of the Damien Dark's opening narration being a riff on the Arrow opening: (My name is Oliver Queen.....)
Old 02-03-2017, 12:18 AM

Over on Reddit, it was pointed out that this episode had some more meta-commentary. A broken, drunken Malcolm Merlyn was watching the death of Damien Darhk - in other words, the finale of the abominable Season 4 of Arrow - when Reverse Flash and very much still alive Damien Darhk suddenly appear and say, "Come join this new show. It's way better!"
Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
No mention of the Damien Dark's opening narration being a riff on the Arrow opening: (My name is Oliver Queen.....)
It's also a riff on the opening of The Flash.

Speaking of the Flash, Dahrk and Merlyn said they'd had experience fighting speedsters before. Did I miss something on Arrow? Barry yanked Oliver away from the former once, and he rescued Merlyn (among others) from a cell, but did that count, or was there someone else?

I'm assuming we're going to see the Black Flash on The Flash at some point. Interesting that we saw it here first.

Last edited by Dendarii Dame; 02-03-2017 at 07:57 AM..
Old 02-08-2017, 10:27 AM

S02E11: Turncoat

Mick finally did an opening narration. It's about as irreverent as you'd expect:
Quote:
Seriously, you idiots haven't figured this out by now? It all started when we blew up the time pigs, the Time Masters. Now history's all screwed up, and it's up to us to unscrew it up. But half the time we screw things up even worse. So don't call us heroes, we're something else. We're...legends.

Who writes this crap anyways?

Plus Mick gets a statue in the capitol.

I thought it fitting that, with the show jumping around time so much, we'd get the Christmas episode a month and a half after Christmas.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM

I loved Ray actually getting to be the Atom, i.e.shrinking down to miniature size. I know the budget doesn't allow for that kind of SFX on a consistent basis, but it's been too long since the last time.

Also, George Washington:

"I learned a new word from my private - KABOOM!"

Last edited by cochrane; 02-08-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 PM

It's getting pretty ridiculous how the show is going out of its way to sideline Firestorm. Why even have him as a character if you're never going to utilize him?
Old 02-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Firestorm is probably too expensive. My wild-ass guess is that they are holding off until a Firestorm-centric show.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:32 PM

If you want an in-universe explanation for constantly sidelining Firestorm: After relying on Firestorm pretty heavily earlier in the season (e.g., Louis XIV's France, Ronald Reagan's White House), they've finally figured out that his powers are entirely too flashy and possibly cause more problems than they solve. Hence, they keep his use to a minimum.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauplius View Post
It's getting pretty ridiculous how the show is going out of its way to sideline Firestorm. Why even have him as a character if you're never going to utilize him?
I was so happy to finally hear Sara tell them to stick together and Firestorm up if things go wrong. I should've known it was for naught.

They never explained how they un-EMP'd did they?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Mick finally did an opening narration. It's about as irreverent as you'd expect:

Plus Mick gets a statue in the capitol.
My favorite line: "Watch it, Haircut. I'm a forefather now."
Old 02-13-2017, 07:29 PM

It took a large organization of Time Masters to protect the time line from random bad events and malign time pirates (etc.); now that the Time Masters have been destroyed (for good reason), the Legends need to start thinking long term - they can keep putting out fires here and there (and now and then), but sooner or later, they had better start recruiting some more people to help them out.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:47 AM

S02E12: Camelot/3000

Sarah Lance is Commander Shepard: "I should go."

I found this episode to be less fun than the previous episodes this season. The premise certainly sounded entertaining enough, but it didn't quite come together for me. Maybe Ray's sheer earnestness was too grating. Maybe it was the lack of Reverse Flash. Maybe because Stargirl turned out to be a horrible actress. Heck, King Arthur himself was a horrible actor.

On the other hand, evil Rip Hunter is much more interesting than the mediocre Time Master of Season 1. And it looks like someone (probably Jax) forgot to disable his root access to Gideon.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
On the other hand, evil Rip Hunter is much more interesting than the mediocre Time Master of Season 1. And it looks like someone (probably Jax) forgot to disable his root access to Gideon.
As soon as they captured him, I saw that coming. How f'n stupid. Of course he has backdoor access. Even Rory should be able to figure that out. So unless it turns out they planned for that, such stupidity is going to have me rooting for the Legion of Doom and a whole new team of Legends. Except for Rory.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 AM

S02E13: Land of the Lost

Apparently I was wrong and they did revoke Rip's root access to Gideon but he had installed a proper backdoor. I wonder if they could have asked Gideon herself whether she had any backdoors, though Rip probably would have had blocks against that.

I was pleasantly surprised that we finally got to see the face behind that sexy British voice. Maybe they can install an Andromeda-style hologram so we get to see Gideon's avatar again. Though how was actual Gideon aware of what was going on in Rip's head?

All in all, a great romp through Rip's head.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Apparently I was wrong and they did revoke Rip's root access to Gideon but he had installed a proper backdoor. I wonder if they could have asked Gideon herself whether she had any backdoors, though Rip probably would have had blocks against that.
Which is why, if he has to be held on the ship, that there should be a room with absolutely no access to Gideon. No speakers, hell, no power at all. At the very least, gag Rip. Nope, gotta make things hard by being excessively stupid. Again.

But I keep watching...better give me some more LSH cameos/easter eggs soon to make up for rotting away my brain.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Camelot/3000 stupidity

When Ray electrified his sword, one of the other Camelot soldiers said:
Quote:
It's like a saber, made of light!
No, you goddamn idiot, it's nothing at ALL like a saber!
SABERS HAVE CURVED BLADES!!

Sheesh, you'd think someone living in the Dark Ages would know this!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder if they could have asked Gideon herself whether she had any backdoors, though Rip probably would have had blocks against that.
Rip is against doing butt stuff?
Old 03-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post

That bothered me too, especially since it could have been a funny lampshade if someone said, "It's like a sword made of light!" Or if they'd called it a "lightsword".
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
That bothered me too, especially since it could have been a funny lampshade if someone said, "It's like a sword made of light!" Or if they'd called it a "lightsword".
Oh come on, lighten up. It was funny. The audience knows Ray's love for Star Wars. George Lucas didn't name Luke's weapon a lightsword. "It's like a saber...made of light" may not have been technically accurate, but it works with the canon to make it funny. Everybody has heard of a lightsaber.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 PM

OK, had science in this one. The LM had independent fuel systems in the ascent and decent stages. The descent stage had four fuel tanks and the ascent stage, two. If Ray ran out of fuel landing the LM , there were still two full tanks in the ascent stage with all the fuel he needed to launch. In fact this just about happened with Apollo 11. The Eagle nearly exhausted its descent fuel, but was able to blast off and rendezvous with the C/SM almost uneventfully.

Also, what became of "Jack Swigert"? Thawne abandoned Lovell and Haise in the command module. Did it land with only the two of them, or did Thawne return to it after escaping from the Waverider to take his place as "Swigert" again?

Last edited by cochrane; 03-14-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 AM

S02E14: Moonshot

I think the seats in the LM should have clued you in that they weren't exactly going for historical accuracy in this one. They also glossed over what the cover story for Apollo 13 was, since the oxygen tank was supposed to have exploded before they rounded the Moon.

This episode highlighted how far the Legends have come since Rip went away. While Rip was still bumbling around trying to figure out where Henry had gone, Sara & Co had already whipped up a plan to recover him. I though there'd be some friction between Rip and Sara about who was really in command, but it seems that even he had to admit that she's a far better captain than he ever was. Speaking of Sara, while she looks good in any time period, there's something about 70's fashion that really suits her.

"Daylight come and me wanna go home"