The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-28-2017, 12:24 PM

It was Tip, the character who was born a girl but was kept in the form of a boy by Mombi, using an illegal potion. They used camera tricks when the actress was shown in the bathtub to make her appear a flat-chested boy.

If they stay true to the books, Tip will be revealed to be Ozma, Princess of Oz. Now we need to see whether she will help the Wizard now that Lady Ev has turned him down, and that

SPOILER:
it seems that
a. Dorothy, the Scarecrow (Lucas), and the Tin Man (Jack), and maybe the Lion (Eamonn?), are collectively the Beast Forever (they have a heart, a brain, and feelings) and therefore can be killed;
and
b. It looks like Dorothy might be the Wizard's daughter.
Advertisements  
Old 01-28-2017, 01:15 PM

Thank you, Sigmagirl.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:31 PM

I have a suspicion that people just aren't feeling this show.

My own appreciation has definitely flagged more that a little. I'm still enjoying this bold take on an old classic, but I'm not quite as starry-eyed about it as I was at first.

For one, the pilot was definitely a cut above the rest of the show. That happens sometimes (although, IME most of the best shows find the pilot falls short of the sophistication of the later episodes of a show that finds its groove).

The other thing is - well, personal.

I met an amazing up-and-coming writer a few years ago. She was already a recognized poet, and was moving into Speculative Fiction when I met her. Her stories were... lacking in many ways, but her imagery and description were mind-blowing. She would describe a scene as if painting with a feather - never quite connecting, but merely brushing against meaning in the most tantalizing ways.

The pilot reminded me of her writing style, and I was terribly excited to see such glancing references in this show. But as the series plodded on, I realized this aspect was more of an affectation in the pilot, and that the show itself was not so divinely clever as I was hoping it would be.

Eh. It's still fun enough.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

I want to know why princess Queen Langwidere wears a mask all the time.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:15 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I want to know why princess Queen Langwidere wears a mask all the time.
I want to know why it's not on HBO, so we could get some freaky Eyes Wide Shut-style parties with people wearing masks all the time.

I think it's obvious I'm not liking this show very much. Something about it seems like it's trying way too hard.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:53 PM

My 12 year old daughter loves this show. I think it's her all-time favorite. That's not saying much because she doesn't watch a lot of television, but still. Maybe it helps that she's never read any of the books associated with the show. She has nothing to compare it to.

She was squicked out by the "slurpy kisses" in the latest episode though.

I enjoy it mostly because she does and it's our snuggle time.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 AM

It's not as bad as the first reviews I read made it out to be. I like it well enough. Don't love it quite.

Get on with it already! Kinda wish I waited 'til I could binge the season.

Didn't really care for Mask Queen "lubing" Tin Boy's parts that way. Their whole relationship is disturbing. Actually, everyone's relationships are a bit disturbing on this show, but theirs is a bit more icky.

Dorothy is a little dull and irritating, and I liked Lucas giving her the "they came first" line right back at her. The dog should ditch her. She's a terrible pet owner.

What would happen if Dorothy did manage to bring a witch back to Kansas? Would the magic still work?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I'm trying to figure out what he's planning to do with the gun. Oz doesn't look like the kind of place that can make a modern semi-automatic pistol, complete with modern cartridge and smokeless powder. I'd actually find it easier to believe if it was an older model revolver, but still very unlikely. Unless his plan is to go back to a black powder and ball design, which is going to be even harder to teach people how to use well.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 PM

It seems that the Wizard is very aware that Oz doesn't have the facility to make the guns and ammo. That's why he's trying to negotiate with the neighboring Kingdom of Ev to do the manufacturing.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
It seems that the Wizard is very aware that Oz doesn't have the facility to make the guns and ammo. That's why he's trying to negotiate with the neighboring Kingdom of Ev to do the manufacturing.
Is there any reason to think they can pull off a modern semi-auto and cartridge, or is he hoping for something a little more low-tech?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Glinda's little school for witches needs Diana from Grimm to liven things up.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Is there any reason to think they can pull off a modern semi-auto and cartridge, or is he hoping for something a little more low-tech?
Looks like they made rifles, but a society that can make the Tin Woodsman ought to be able to make a gun. Not sure why 'til now it never occurred to them. The woman who actually fixed Jack seemed to know what the queen wanted made and refused to make it, so maybe they do know but it's a forbidden tech?