The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: LMD - Season 4 thread (Open Spoilers for aired episodes)

OK, so they're very well aware of the idea that this is a common theme, robots turning against their creator. Mack gets some great lines. How many movie references can they make?

I'm not sure how I like the senator and SHIELD relationship. They're trying to use some nuance and humanize (ha!) the senator, but it's kind of pointless. Her relationship with the Watchdogs is pretty damning.

Floppies?!

Love the shotgun axe! "Roll credits"

Harsh, she killed her own brother. "The Superior"?

Small wonder, nice robot child reference.

So Radcliffe is a bad guy, and I doubt he's the Superior. Is he pulling the strings to promote a Coulson/May romance?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:38 AM
WordMan WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,652
Watching it with a bit of inertia - only kinda scratching my Marvel itch.

Regarding the brother - yeah, really harsh. Given the last scene, he hit the ocean floor and re-cocooned. Obviously he's coming back - so is recocooning a Thing for Inhumans, or part of his apparent power set?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Watching it with a bit of inertia - only kinda scratching my Marvel itch.

Regarding the brother - yeah, really harsh. Given the last scene, he hit the ocean floor and re-cocooned. Obviously he's coming back - so is recocooning a Thing for Inhumans, or part of his apparent power set?
I don't recall any previously dead inhuman going reco, so.... this seems to be new with this character.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 AM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,647
Between Mack & Yoyo's complaints about evil robot movies, and Daisy observing that Simmons has been kidnapped at least 3 times since they've met, it's obvious the writers had a lot of fun with this script. Nice twist at the end - I thought real May was going to wake up and turn out to be the one in charge.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 AM
enalzi enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I don't recall any previously dead inhuman going reco, so.... this seems to be new with this character.
He also was in his first cocoon for months as opposed to minutes/hours for everyone else.

I get the feeling he's going to keep getting more powers.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I get the feeling he's going to keep getting more powers.
Or each time he's killed and regenerated he comes back with a different power. It's like a slot machine, who knows what you come up with.

I'm glad AIDA's not the big bad, she's just a tool of Radcliffe. He programmed her acting like she has emotions; she's still just an emotionless android. Not exactly clear when Radcliffe had time to rework her programming or make the plan to capture May. Did he suggest May go fetch AIDA or did that come from Coulson?

A "killed by robot" rider on your insurance policy? Brilliant!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 AM
silenus silenus is online now
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 47,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Or each time he's killed and regenerated he comes back with a different power. It's like a slot machine, who knows what you come up with.
I like that. Sort of like Inhuman red Kryptonite. Do you deal with him as he is or kill him and take your chances with the next incarnation?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
A "killed by robot" rider on your insurance policy? Brilliant!
Yeah, but he must have lied to the insurance company about his employer - you'd think "killed by robot" would be a specific exclusion for SHIELD agents, along with "subverted by Hydra" and "stabbed by alien".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
What if you die in a building collapse during a superhero battle? Rubble indemnity?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Half Man Half Wit Half Man Half Wit is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I'm glad AIDA's not the big bad, she's just a tool of Radcliffe. He programmed her acting like she has emotions; she's still just an emotionless android.
That was some masterful audience trolling by the writers. Set everything up as the lamest cliche ever, the creation turning against its creator, enjoy the ensuing internet groans (which I liberally participated in), then lampshade the hell out of it in the episode, only to pull out the rug under our feet---it's the creator, not the creation, that's turned evil. I haven't enjoyed an episode of the series this much in quite some time.

Oh, and any idea on who the superior is going to turn out to be?

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 01-13-2017 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 PM
galen ubal galen ubal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
That was some masterful audience trolling by the writers. Set everything up as the lamest cliche ever, the creation turning against its creator, enjoy the ensuing internet groans (which I liberally participated in), then lampshade the hell out of it in the episode, only to pull out the rug under our feet---it's the creator, not the creation, that's turned evil. I haven't enjoyed an episode of the series this much in quite some time.

Oh, and any idea on who the superior is going to turn out to be?
Radcliffe, perhaps? That, or someone we thought dead, though none spring to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Folacin Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Just watched this weekend - why did Radcliffe want the physical Darkhold? Aida had already read it IIRC.

My only fanwank is that it presents information to solve/create the reader's current predicament and/or ability to perform whatever step of the book's nefarious plan the reader can handle? So the book itself still holds lots more information.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-16-2017, 12:35 PM
enalzi enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
My only fanwank is that it presents information to solve/create the reader's current predicament and/or ability to perform whatever step of the book's nefarious plan the reader can handle? So the book itself still holds lots more information.
That's what I'm assuming since the words don't show up until someone touches it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Agents of SHIELD: LMD - S4E10 "The Patriot"

The biggie - Mace isn't an Inhuman; he's enhanced by injections of a variant of the formula used by Daisy's dad to give him strength without going all homicidal. But he needs steady injections to keep it up, otherwise he's a just a schlub. This explains the secret that Simmons figured out he was keeping, and he never set out to be a hero. Talbot made him into one because he was ordered to make the Director of SHIELD an enhanced individual. So he lied (under orders) and comes off as a well meaning puppet who loved being adored but he seems to have his heart in the right place and his motivation was to do good things. I also feel like the actor is doing a great job playing Mace as a bit of a Boy Scout in over his head.

Talbot - this is one of the few characters who really feels like he was plucked from the pages of a comic book and put on screen. He acts like a bull in a china shop, no concept of social order or diplomacy but he's not a dummy. He understands enough of what's going on around him to make some intelligent choices. He's probably going to be a source of more enhanced agents.

Radcliffe - his motivation was softened a bit since last week. He's horrified by Aida killing Agent Expendable but not enough to turn himself in for it. It's hard to read how Aida 2.0 is taking all this; she seemed genuinely pissed and offended by some of the things Radcliffe said but they emphasized in the last episode that she still doesn't feel emotions. He clearly doesn't want to harm May any more, but he has no problems keeping her drugged up and captive. Swell guy.

Things I liked
  • Coulson back in charge of SHIELD, with Mace as the figurehead
  • Fitz still mucking about with Aida 1.0's head. I'm sure that's all going to turn out well - but I suspect it will end up helping May/Maybot
  • Mack still is a genuine bad ass
  • Talbot's ringtone for calls from the White House
  • The self-discovery arc that's about to happen for Maybot
  • Daisy didn't completely annoy me this episode

All in all a good episode. The whole plot to get Mace out in the Quinjet was pretty bogus; it was paper thin. Running around in a National Park looking for a guy who fell out of a plane is beyond dumb. They never explained how the Watchdogs sabotaged the jet, although I wonder if that will be covered in the next episode based on scenes from next week. But ignoring that they answered some questions, asked new ones, and advanced the plot.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Folacin Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Agent May, with the possible exception of my mother, you are the single most intimidating woman I have ever met.
I wanna an episode with Mother Talbot . . .
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-18-2017, 05:29 PM
enalzi enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I'm confused as to which Aida actually read the Darkhold. Head-Aida or Murder-Aida?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Richard John Marcej Richard John Marcej is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
The biggie - Mace isn't an Inhuman; he's enhanced by injections of a variant of the formula used by Daisy's dad to give him strength without going all homicidal.
I liked this revelation. When they introduced Mace I thought he'd become the stereotypical director who's all by the books and winds up impeding Coulson and his group through his stubbornness and ego. Instead, showing him as this vulnerable figurehead type makes him much more interesting, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Talbot - this is one of the few characters who really feels like he was plucked from the pages of a comic book and put on screen.
To me he feels like a combination of the original Glenn Talbot and General Thunderbolt Ross from the Tales to Astonish issues of The Incredible Hulk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Things I liked[LIST][*]Coulson back in charge of SHIELD, with Mace as the figurehead
I liked this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
[*]Fitz still mucking about with Aida 1.0's head. I'm sure that's all going to turn out well - but I suspect it will end up helping May/Maybot
I'm getting a weird Fitz-in-love-with-Aida feeling. Kind of like a TV version of "Her"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
[*]Mack still is a genuine bad ass
Coulson and May have always been my favorite characters from the show but Mack is quickly gaining on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
[*]Daisy didn't completely annoy me this episode
I agree. If they wrote her out of the show tomorrow I'd be very happy
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-18-2017, 06:14 PM
levdrakon levdrakon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Talbot is entertaining, and still playing around with super serums. Has he learned nothing from Banner?

Interesting reveal about Mace. I guess they aren't going to make him some more serum?

I wonder if Mace not being an Inhuman, and downplaying Daisy the center of everything has to do with the New Inhumans tv show they're making?

Fitz is an idiot. He's really going to keep playing with the AIDA head that has read the Darkhold?

Back when we saw AIDA 1.0 working on some sort of holographic brain, was that the May bot? Otherwise I can't figure out how they got all of May's memories. Surely Radcliff isn't that good? He's also created drugs that can create simulations for the captive May? Is he that good, or is it the Darkhold?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Fitz is an idiot. He's really going to keep playing with the AIDA head that has read the Darkhold??
I'm not convinced that Aida got evil after reading the Darkhold. If we are to believe Radcliffe (and if we believe that he knows what he's talking about) everything Aida did was directed by his instructions. She may have been acting perfectly rationally (if over enthusiastically) in carrying out those instructions.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Folacin Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Interesting reveal about Mace. I guess they aren't going to make him some more serum?
Our heroes know that Mace isn't Inhuman, but I assume that knowledge will remain Code Turquoise level (or whatever means "need to know and if you don't know you don't need to know"). In public, he is still the director, so he'll need to throw a car occasionally to keep his cred intact.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 AM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I'm confused as to which Aida actually read the Darkhold. Head-Aida or Murder-Aida?
Head-Aida. At the end of the previous episode, when Radcliffe was talking to Aida 2.0, she said something like "My predecessor had the Darkhold in her hands."
Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Back when we saw AIDA 1.0 working on some sort of holographic brain, was that the May bot? Otherwise I can't figure out how they got all of May's memories. Surely Radcliff isn't that good? He's also created drugs that can create simulations for the captive May? Is he that good, or is it the Darkhold?
I assume they got her memories from when she had been touched by one of the ghosts in the first half of the season, and Radcliffe and Fitz they were building a model of her mind to figure out how to cure her. Remember, when they decided to "reboot" her?

I've got to say, I like this half of the season a lot better than the Ghost Rider stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Sir T-Cups Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Just caught up on it last night. The first episode was one of the funnier ones in a good few seasons. I enjoyed how Mac and YoYo kept referencing movies since that was what I was doing during the mid-season break.

I also can't help but feel that having Radcliffe revealed as the big bad, as opposed to AIDA, is just a swerve until they reveal that AIDA actually IS sentient and wants to live and blah blah android trope. The only way I can see that not being godawful would be if she eventually joins SHIELD and you can use her as an R2D2 instant hacker/fish-out-of-water person. Kinda like Data from Star Trek. She can instantly look at security cameras to identify where a hostage is, but during the heist she asks a funny question about human nature. Actually, she'd be more like EDI from Mass Effect.

I'm OK with the MACE reveal too, although I don't understand why everyone's so pissed. So he's literally Captain America, only his medicine wasn't one-time (or German). Who cares? Iron Man has a suit, Mace has drugs.

Lastly please, please, please, PLEASE GOD NO COULSON MAY ROMANCE!! It has zero point, makes zero sense, and is going to be worse than the Daisy/Sparky romance. We love Fitz and Simmons, we love Mac and YoYo...just leave it at that!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Lastly please, please, please, PLEASE GOD NO COULSON MAY ROMANCE!! It has zero point, makes zero sense, and is going to be worse than the Daisy/Sparky romance. We love Fitz and Simmons, we love Mac and YoYo...just leave it at that!!
Preach it, Brother T-Cups!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-19-2017, 03:46 PM
levdrakon levdrakon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Head-Aida. At the end of the previous episode, when Radcliffe was talking to Aida 2.0, she said something like "My predecessor had the Darkhold in her hands."

I assume they got her memories from when she had been touched by one of the ghosts in the first half of the season, and Radcliffe and Fitz they were building a model of her mind to figure out how to cure her. Remember, when they decided to "reboot" her?

I've got to say, I like this half of the season a lot better than the Ghost Rider stuff.
Okay I guess. So what was the holographic brain for?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-20-2017, 12:05 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Okay I guess. So what was the holographic brain for?
The LMD for May.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 33,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Or each time he's killed and regenerated he comes back with a different power. It's like a slot machine, who knows what you come up with.
!
Croyd/the Sleeper from Wild Cards book series does exactly this.

Why is Coulson all of a sudden such a clueless dumbass?

Last edited by DrDeth; 01-20-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:12 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 33,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
That was some masterful audience trolling by the writers. Set everything up as the lamest cliche ever, the creation turning against its creator, enjoy the ensuing internet groans (which I liberally participated in), then lampshade the hell out of it in the episode, only to pull out the rug under our feet---it's the creator, not the creation, that's turned evil. I haven't enjoyed an episode of the series this much in quite some time.
No, Aida did turn evil. And I wasnt surprised at all that Radcliffe would keep making them.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:14 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 33,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
The biggie - Mace isn't an Inhuman; he's enhanced by injections of a variant of the formula used by Daisy's dad to give him strength without going all homicidal. But he needs steady injections to keep it up, otherwise he's a just a schlub. This explains the secret that Simmons figured out he was keeping, and he never set out to be a hero. Talbot made him into one because he was ordered to make the Director of SHIELD an enhanced individual. So he lied (under orders) and comes off as a well meaning puppet who loved being adored but he seems to have his heart in the right place and his motivation was to do good things. I also feel like the actor is doing a great job playing Mace as a bit of a Boy Scout in over his head.

But since Coulson and crew have lied their ass off to Mace many, many times, the fact that they seemed angry at him for keeping a secret seemed more than a tad hypocritical.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Sir T-Cups Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
So what happened to Senator what's-her-face's brother?

I got a little overzealous on the DVR remote, and remember seeing his body in the water, but did it do anything special after that? By the sounds of ya'll talking it did, but I must have missed it.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:15 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 33,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post


I agree. If they wrote her out of the show tomorrow I'd be very happy
From your lips to the showrunners ears!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 PM
enalzi enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
So what happened to Senator what's-her-face's brother?

I got a little overzealous on the DVR remote, and remember seeing his body in the water, but did it do anything special after that? By the sounds of ya'll talking it did, but I must have missed it.
He floated down to the bottom of the lake and then re-cocooned.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
He floated down to the bottom of the lake and then re-cocooned.
For alternate definitions of "floated".
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
For alternate definitions of "floated".
It was actually a bit comical, the weight was pulling his body down but then the weight hit the ocean floor (making the rope go slack) and the body kept descending at the same speed. Although I guess you could say the weight was to keep the body on the bottom since I understand bodies tend to bloat and float.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-20-2017, 05:04 PM
smiling bandit smiling bandit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
No, Aida did turn evil. And I wasnt surprised at all that Radcliffe would keep making them.
It's interesting that they aren't downplaying how horrible the Darkhold is. Anyone who reads it seems to become obsessive, paranoid, and warped over time. It's even more surprising because Radcliffe initially rejected it entirely and tried to avoid it.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
No, Aida did turn evil.
I'd say that this is still unclear.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
So.... what was the plan, exactly? To kill Jeffrey Mace? To get the briefcase?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Oakminster Oakminster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
So.... what was the plan, exactly? To kill Jeffrey Mace? To get the briefcase?
I'm guessing they wanted the briefcase. Assuming they knew what it contained, they could make more super soldiers if they could analyze the formula
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
I'm guessing they wanted the briefcase. Assuming they knew what it contained, they could make more super soldiers if they could analyze the formula
It doesn't really work, though. The bad guys had the briefcase the minute the recovered the PR guy's body and chopped off his hand. Why didn't they get the heck outta there? The episode just strikes me as an excessively convoluted way to "out" Mace, and that vaguely annoys me since I kinda like Mace and in this episode he went from convincingly-competent director to semi-helpless bumbler. Does the serum increase his confidence/competence so that when he's on it, he comes off as more commanding?

Frankly, I was kind of hoping he'd get a rematch with Ghost Rider at some point and kick his ass.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Agents of SHIELD: LMD - S4E11 "Wake Up"

See, this is what I don't like about LMDs; they turn storylines into Swiss cheese. If Maybot and Coulson start a relationship is it real since Maybot is essentially a rebooted May with all her thoughts and memories? How did Radcliffe learn how to program human emotions to make Maybot not want to tell the team what she's learned or not to harm Radcliffe? Arghh, these convoluted storylines turn people off of comic books, it will do so here as well.

Having said that, not an awful episode but not one of their best. I love Yo-Yo and Mack together, but the silly drama of baby Hope and the ex was pretty heavy handed. The team getting caught by Senator Nadir was just plain silly, and I don't think we know yet who tipped her off, do we? Fitz said it couldn't have been Aida 1.0's activated head since she didn't have access to that information. Is there still a mole? The fake out with May fighting and escaping from Aida 2.0 dream was well done. The resolution of May's resistance by having her finally rescue the Inhuman girl in Bahrain is too trite and cutesy for me. I didn't buy that it would be the driving force behind May's attitude. The Radcliffe LMD was a nice little twist, but it's exactly what I hate about LMDs. You'd think a simple metal detector (don't all bases have them) would solve the problem. I thought the scene with Daisy and Mace went well; I like his character more and more. But not having answers for the senator's questions isn't very believable. How could they not prepare for that line of questions?

I liked the mid-episode fake out of having us second guess who was additional LMD even if I didn't like the resolution. Every scene had the audience looking for clues. I assume that Radcliffe was the only other LMD and now he's gone.

Senator Nadir and her whole storyline isn't working for me. I hope that improves or at least progresses when we learn who "The Superior" is. We had "The Clairvoyant" back in season 1, do we really need this now?

Not many fun lines in this episode although Coulson said something funny about broccoli at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Dante G Dante G is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Not too bad of an episode. I will say that the preview for next week has me excited. Glad to see the Lanyard Lynch Mob coming back. Missed him(them).
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 AM
levdrakon levdrakon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
See, this is what I don't like about LMDs; they turn storylines into Swiss cheese. If Maybot and Coulson start a relationship is it real since Maybot is essentially a rebooted May with all her thoughts and memories? How did Radcliffe learn how to program human emotions to make Maybot not want to tell the team what she's learned or not to harm Radcliffe? Arghh, these convoluted storylines turn people off of comic books, it will do so here as well.
That's what I'm still not clear on. I get that AIDA 1.0 read the Darkhold, and so she could make a dimensional portal and design Maybot's brain, but even without the Darkhold Radcliffe is doing some unbelievably advanced things with brains.

I was thinking Nadir was tipped off by Radcliff via Maybot knowing about the mission.

The May dream sequence was a bit of a let down for me, since it was so obviously a dream and used up time better spent on the real story.

Also, yeah May and Coulson can admit their feelings for each other and then the real May comes back and it's over. I see that coming.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-25-2017, 11:10 AM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,647
I assumed Radcliffe & Nadeer found out about the bugging mission from LMD-May. They can see & hear everything she sees & hears, even though she doesn't know she's broadcasting it, right?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I assumed Radcliffe & Nadeer found out about the bugging mission from LMD-May. They can see & hear everything she sees & hears, even though she doesn't know she's broadcasting it, right?
That makes sense, and fits with everything we know. That's why Radcliffe went to Nadeer (thanks for the spelling) for protection. It doesn't seem like he knew her beforehand but he had valuable information (her office was going to be bugged during the hearing) to trade for protection and an introduction.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 19,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Not many fun lines in this episode although Coulson said something funny about broccoli at some point.
Sorry, cauliflower not broccoli.

Talbot's comment about things turning into a "steaming pile of fart pebbles" was pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Talbot's comment about things turning into a "steaming pile of fart pebbles" was pretty good.
Meh, that line struck me as something a third-grader would say if he was trying to be edgy.

Anyway, there has to be an easier and less risky way to detect LMDs than a 9mm slug to the head. Maybe see if fridge magnets stick to them.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 AM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Meh, that line struck me as something a third-grader would say if he was trying to be edgy.

Anyway, there has to be an easier and less risky way to detect LMDs than a 9mm slug to the head. Maybe see if fridge magnets stick to them.
No kidding. You'd think Fitz's very next task would be to invent a non-invasive way to detect LMDs (hopefully not requiring a nuclear weapon), and then test everyone entering or leaving SHIELD HQ.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 AM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,647
Great episode. I'd definitely watch a 100% Agent Koenigs spinoff.

"The laundry was disgusting. Enough DNA to make a clone army."
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Sir T-Cups Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Just caught up on the last 2 episodes.

I'm liking this season so far. Nothing ridiculously compelling like some of the Ward stuff, or the reveal of the Kree blood in Coulson's body, but it's interesting enough to keep tuning in every week (well, couple weeks for me...).
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Richard John Marcej Richard John Marcej is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Just caught up on the last 2 episodes.

I'm liking this season so far. Nothing ridiculously compelling like some of the Ward stuff, or the reveal of the Kree blood in Coulson's body, but it's interesting enough to keep tuning in every week (well, couple weeks for me...).
Yeah, I gave up on this show after season one but when I read they were introducing the Ghost Rider this season I decided to give it a shot. I'm enjoying it too.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-03-2017, 08:00 AM
pmwgreen pmwgreen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
So what did they do with Radcliffe's android? After that little exchange about souls and the revelation that he/it has a brain that is just like a human's but composed of light, why not a soul? Or consciousness? And then they just burn him? How can they be sure?

(It's really a bit of a failure as an LMD project. The idea is to make an expendable duplicate. If the creature has a soul ...)
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.