The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 PM

The Young Pope on HBO.

Anybody watching this new HBO series?

It's heavy handed. Stylistically exaggerated. Superbly acted by Jude Law but a bit let down by the rest of the cast (so far).

I have no idea where it's all headed. But I like it, so far.
Advertisements  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 PM

It's definitely far more "arty" than the trailers would have one believe. It's far better than the trailers, and I'm indeed curious where it all leads.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I've seen Jude Law promote this twice now on Colbert's show (he is, after all, America's Catholic). Haven't seen the show but I am interested in hearing more reviews!
Old 01-18-2017, 01:10 PM
"Superstar"

I watched the first episode and am intrigued. It was staged interestingly and I found the characters compelling enough that I want to know more about them.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I watched the first two episodes (the first was on Sunday while the second was on Monday, but I expect future episodes on Sundays). It was arty, and I'm not sure what they're going for here. At one point, one of the cardinals asked someone to investigate the background of Lenny Belardo (the real name of Jude Law's character). I find it hard to believe that his background would be such a mystery. He had been the archbishop of New York prior to his election, and I can't imagine that his background wouldn't already be known and have already been extensively covered by the newspapers.

Plus in the second episode, we met Cardinal Andrew Dussolier, who was also raised by Sister Mary in the same orphanage at the same time as Lenny. So this woman just happened to raise two boys, one of whom rose to be a cardinal, while the other rose to archbishop and then pope? Seems unlikely, but if it happened, it would surely have been a big part of Lenny's public story.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:04 PM
SDSAB

It looks nice, the cast is great and Jude Law dominates every scene. It has an interesting, artsy air of menace, but otherwise doesn't quite seem to know what it wants to be. Is it a character study? A satire of Vatican intrigue? A mystery? Even anti-Catholic propaganda? All of those things, kinda, I guess, but not entirely. It's also just surreal enough to be slightly annoying. The Pope character seems arrogant, inscrutable, idiosyncratic and even baffling in his views of what his pontificate should be, and where he wants to take the Church.

Not sure I'll stick with it.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 PM

Have only seen some previews, but it seems to have some Trump vibes. Am I reading too much into it, or are they subtly trying to stick it to Donnie boy?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

I think you're reading something into it. For one thing, most of the episodes aired on satellite TV in Europe before Election Day.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltguy View Post
Have only seen some previews, but it seems to have some Trump vibes. Am I reading too much into it, or are they subtly trying to stick it to Donnie boy?
I suppose from the stand point of being an 'agent of change', the young pope can be seen as a Trump analogue. On the other hand, in contrast to Trump, he seems quite smart.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
The Pope character seems arrogant, inscrutable, idiosyncratic and even baffling in his views of what his pontificate should be, and where he wants to take the Church.
Sounds a little bit Mozart in the Jungle...
Old 01-24-2017, 12:43 AM

I was kind of hoping the "limited series" bit meant it was only six episodes. After barely making it through the first two, I checked IMDb and unfortunately it lists 10 episodes. Not sure I'm willing to watch eight more of these.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I was kind of hoping the "limited series" bit meant it was only six episodes. After barely making it through the first two, I checked IMDb and unfortunately it lists 10 episodes. Not sure I'm willing to watch eight more of these.
Thanks for posting... I barely made it through episode one and was checking this thread to see if it got any better. Will not bother...I found the first episode insultingly bad.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM

The last two episodes was just a sub-plot salad. I get it; There's intrigue and politics in the Vatican. Still, I'm enjoying Jude Law's masterful acting and the Young Pope's character development. There are some great monologues that he delivers very well. Especially when he's praying or confiding in the Monseigneur. I'm even finding the director's filming style interesting now.

But yeah, to say I understand where the story is going.... not so much.

I'll keep watching.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM
"Superstar"

I'm enjoying it thoroughly and enjoy the characters enough to see where the story leads.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:34 AM

What did you think of that scene with the Prime Minister from Greenland? The official reception when they are all seated and exchanging gifts....
Old 01-24-2017, 10:48 AM
"Superstar"

I haven't seen it yet! Only up to Episode 3
Old 01-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Once the new credit sequence rolled out, culminating in a reenactment of Cattelan's awesome sculpture, I resolved to keep watching no matter how batshit or boring this ends up being.

Last edited by snoe; 01-24-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Is everyone aware that they're airing new episodes on Sunday and Monday nights at 9pm? So on Sunday, the third episode aired, while on Monday, the fourth episode aired.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:10 AM
"Superstar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Is everyone aware that they're airing new episodes on Sunday and Monday nights at 9pm? So on Sunday, the third episode aired, while on Monday, the fourth episode aired.
Yeah- we were watching The OA last night. The SUnday/Monday schedule threw me at first.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:01 PM
SDSAB

I'm still watching, but I'm not absolutely loving it. The Pope is just too erratic for me to believe - he says and does things that simply don't seem to be in his best interests, and are almost calculated to irritate, rile, scare or alienate those around him. Of course no one is perfect and there have been many other deeply-flawed Popes over the centuries, but Pius XIII acts stupidly and self-defeatingly even as he's being held out to us as a shrewd, strategically-minded guy.

Best line:

The Pope: "You're drunk."
Cardinal Spencer: "Hah! Not enough."

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoe View Post
Once the new credit sequence rolled out, culminating in a reenactment of Cattelan's awesome sculpture, I resolved to keep watching no matter how batshit or boring this ends up being.
Hmm - very interesting! Hadn't known about the sculpture before. I like the new opening credits, with the Pope walking along - and eventually winking directly at us - as the people in the artwork on the wall behind him react either to him or to the meteor hurtling overhead. I was particularly struck by one, which looks like an Eastern Orthodox icon of Jesus meeting with the Disciples, in which all lose their halos as the Pope and the meteor pass by. Hmmmm.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:19 PM
"Superstar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
What did you think of that scene with the Prime Minister from Greenland? The official reception when they are all seated and exchanging gifts....

I've decided that I enjoy this show in exactly the same way I enjoy a Rothko or a Pollack. I might be able to derive a lot of literal, linear meaning but the impressions wash over me and make me experience it.

The Greenland Prime Minister scene was terrific. I think he enjoys confounding expectations.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:34 PM

I'm watching it but have mixed feelings. Jude Law is, as always, commanding in his role. There are a lot of subtleties in this series, and I am not well-equipped to grasp them.

At first, I was a little disturbed by the depiction of the followers of Catholicism, even as an atheist. I have no difficulty at all with the theme of corruption within the church, however. It will be interesting to see where the series takes us.

This is probably blindingly obvious to everyone, but I do chuckle at the theme song that accompanies the opening credits. If I've got it right, it's Dylan's All Along the Watchtower, sans lead guitar riffs or vocals. I understand one interpretation of this song to be a reference by Dylan to Isaiah 21:5-9, about how life without religion has no real meaning.

Like I said... subtle. Or full of shit. I haven't quite decided which, yet.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM

The fifth episode seemed to throw a bunch of spaghetti at the wall to see WHAT would stick . . .

Have ep six in the DVR for tonite, I'm not optimistic.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:00 PM
"Superstar"

Oh my god, the baby!
Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I nearly fell out of my chair when he dropped that newborn (fortunately, into the bassinet or onto the hospital bed). And he was really uncomfortable with picking up the baby. But surely he's served as a parish priest before becoming archbishop? So he must have baptized many infants.

And in one episode, he and his brother went for a late-night walk (in tracksuits, not priestly garb), went into a hotel, asked the desk clerk for cigarettes and then sat at the bar where they talked to a prostitute for a few minutes. This all occurred without him being recognized. So the show is still pretending that the man who was previously Archbishop of New York and was recently elected pope is somehow still not known by sight. I find that hard to believe.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 AM

I fell behind a few episodes and finally caught up last night.

I'm still fascinated by this show.

Dewey Finn - I think the reason he's not recognized by most people is because he's never shown his face in public, nor has he allowed any images of him to be offered to the public by the Vatican PR dept. I agree that it's a bit of a stretch that the media wouldn't have taken pictures of him as he freely roams the Vatican grounds or that even someone working at the Vatican wouldn't have taken a photo and shared it with the world. But hey, you're supposed to suspend disbelief. So much of the story line relies on not hanging on too strongly to how things would work in the real world. This is a character drama, and its character development has been excellent so far.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:59 AM

The threesome, was that with the hotel hooker?

Looking forward to Contessa's party.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I'll have to watch the scene again, but I don't think the threesome was with the hotel hooker. For one thing, I think the guy in the threesome was sitting in a pew during Andrew's farewell address in Honduras, so I assumed the sex scene was also in Honduras.

And even if Lenny never showed his face as pope, surely he couldn't have been so secretive as a parish priest and as archbishop in New York, the media capital of America.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Yeah, I think the sex scene was in Honduras, at Andrew's old bishopric.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, I think the sex scene was in Honduras, at Andrew's old bishopric.
It was -- in one shot one of the male participants was sitting in a side pew and crying while Andrew gives his farewell speech (and the female participant was also teary, sitting with her husband, wearer of a pretty dy-no-mite polyester leisure suit).
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM

I must have been tired because I missed all those connections.

Perhaps I should watch the episode again.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Okay... why kill the kangaroo?

Also, that truck stop scene was a shit piece of directing.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:21 AM

I was finding the show interesting, but Episodes 7 and 8 just bored me. Though I imagine his constant public prayer will counter the charges that Pius doesn't believe in God - though whether or not he thinks God is greater than him, that's another question entirely.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
It was -- in one shot one of the male participants was sitting in a side pew and crying while Andrew gives his farewell speech (and the female participant was also teary, sitting with her husband, wearer of a pretty dy-no-mite polyester leisure suit).
Um... I saw this last night, wasn't it the Pope and Andrew in the three some? That's what I took out of it anyway. Or were there multiple different times?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:52 AM
"Superstar"

No, it wasn't the Pope. The threesome was going on in Honduras while Pope was addressing the Cardinals, as I took it.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
No, it wasn't the Pope. The threesome was going on in Honduras while Pope was addressing the Cardinals, as I took it.
I took it as more of a flashback then what was going on right then. The first time it didn't look like the Pope, the last time it did look a lot like him, though it's hard to tell sometimes. Wasn't Andrew at the Vatican the majority of the time? I took it as him saying goodbye to his congregation when Lenny was elected and only going back after he couldn't take it any more.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
Um... I saw this last night, wasn't it the Pope and Andrew in the three some? That's what I took out of it anyway. Or were there multiple different times?
I made the same error at first. Had to watch it again (horrors!). The threesome was Andrew, a young Honduran parishioner and the narco's wife.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:09 AM
"Superstar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
I took it as more of a flashback then what was going on right then. The first time it didn't look like the Pope, the last time it did look a lot like him, though it's hard to tell sometimes. Wasn't Andrew at the Vatican the majority of the time? I took it as him saying goodbye to his congregation when Lenny was elected and only going back after he couldn't take it any more.
See I thought he went back to say goodbye after accepting the role as overseer for new priests. He went back to say good bye then, and had his last fling. I imagine he hadn't anticipated staying permanently in Rome when he came for the conclave.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 AM
"Superstar"

This recap seems good:
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/recap...rinity-w463332
Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM

I'm fascinated by Jude Law's performance and the character of the pope. He is inscrutable in a maddening, riveting way.

In for the full ride. I hear there's going to be more than one season too.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:25 PM
SDSAB

Yes, it's been renewed for a second season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Pope

What a strange, strange show. I keep thinking I'll stop, it's so baffling, contradictory and even sometimes surreally nonsensical, but damned if I don't keep watching.

Favorite recent bits:

* The Pope donning robes, gloves, tiara and rings to the tune of "I'm Sexy and I Know It"
* The stigmata guy's neon-lit vision of the Pope visiting him in his house
* The Pope, startled, dropping the baby on the hospital bed
* The Pope and the Italian Prime Minister's icily-polite minuet
* Cardinal Voiello taking the nun's cellphone and later setting her straight on the African tyrant

The Pope's coat of arms (visible sometimes on the rug in his office) is reminiscent of Pius XII's (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ius_12_coa.svg) and Paul VI's (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pe_Paul_VI.svg).

And what's with the painting (by Rembrandt?) of the hairy man nursing a baby?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:35 PM

...And WTF is it with the kangaroo?!
Old 02-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Watched the first two episodes and gave up on it.

It's a nice looking show but profoundly irritating in being so mysterioso from the start.

It never established why I should care about anything enough to stick around.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And what's with the painting (by Rembrandt?) of the hairy man nursing a baby?
I was wondering about that. Is that a real painting? (Many of the paintings shown in the opening credits are real, as is the Venus of Willendorf, although it's actually in an Austrian museum.)
Old 02-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

A Google search led me to an answer; the painting is called La mujer barbuda or Magdalena Ventura or The Bearded Woman, by Jusepe de Ribera. Article from The Guardian about it.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:01 AM
SDSAB

Great find - thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:56 PM
SDSAB

Well, I watched it all the way through to the end of the season. Parts of it I really liked; parts of it left me cold.

I guess the Pope is a saint under Catholic teachings, for all his flaws, with three miracles now apparently attributable to him: healing the mom of his childhood classmate, removing Esther's sterility, and smiting Sr. Antonia, the crooked nun in Africa.

Not sure what was up with the fat woman in bed in NYC. An odd tangent.

Nice callback for the woman (his California crush?) juggling for her two kids, just as the Pope had earlier juggled in the Vatican gardens.

The village of the Blessed Juana looked a lot like the Mexican village in Westworld.

I like the Cardinal Gutierrez character a lot - alcoholic, until-now-closeted, deeply conflicted, but strong enough to argue with the Pope and urge a more humane policy upon him.

Loved the scene with the various historic Popes appearing to Pius XIII in a dream, and him being unimpressed by their "banal" advice.

Here's more on Brodsky, the Nobel laureate mentioned by the Pope for having written, "Beauty at low temperatures is beauty": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Brodsky

Why was the Pope in a regular priest's street clothes to say goodbye to Sr. Mary? I noticed his white robes in Venice lacked all the gold embroidery on the front, too.

I've lost count of how many times the Pope has said he doesn't believe in God, or hasn't contradicted others who say he's an atheist. But then nothing is done with this explosive information; we just move on to the next scene. Very puzzling.

And he just seems like a jerk when he tells a mean "joke" to the schoolkids, making some of them cry; backs out of a promised visit to Guatemala for no particular reason; and won't turn around to bless the eager, hopeful people in the fast-food restaurant.

Cardinal Voiello plotted to oust the Pope, tells him he killed the aspiring priest who jumped off St. Peter's Basilica, and later tells him his parents repudiated him by leaving him. Yeesh. Why does the Pope even keep him around anymore?

Exiling Archbishop Kurtwell to Alaska would not assuage all those who thought he ought to be prosecuted for his pedophilia and abuse of power in NYC.

I guess we're meant to think that the Pope's elderly-hippy parents are in the crowd in Venice, and turn away in disappointment. Nice touch to have various characters earlier shown this season (the American writer, the druglord and his wife, the hooker in the Rome hotel, etc.) listening to his speech. But the speech shouldn't have made the crowd react the way they did, I thought. I also would've expected a huge media contingent, a platoon of photographers, banks of TV cameras, etc., for his first public appearance in which he could be clearly seen by the public.

A very strange show; still thinking it through.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:43 PM

I think the crowd reacted as it did because Pope Pius XIII decided to tell a happy hopeful message, as opposed to his angry messages earlier on in his Papacy. I thought it was a beautifully shot show, but very strange and didn't really go anywhere.

And yes, the Pope definitely would be a Saint... and we now know why Sister Mary was so adamant about that. Of course, I think as the show mentions, saints aren't perfect.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think the crowd reacted as it did because Pope Pius XIII decided to tell a happy hopeful message, as opposed to his angry messages earlier on in his Papacy....
Agreed, but what he said would not, in the real world, lead to rapturous applause at the moment that it did.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but what he said would not, in the real world, lead to rapturous applause at the moment that it did.
I disagree. I think it would especially after months of people hearing despair from their Pope, to hear he is promoting a hopeful message would be shockingly happy... I'd applaud.