The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-16-2017, 03:06 PM

I agree that it was the tone of the message that elicited the response from the crowd. The speech itself was bad. Poorly thought out, poorly written, droning and silly. The pope certainly has had better speeches in the show. Was disappointed.

Overall though, I was fascinated by the characters, enjoyed watching them interacting with each other a lot.

The show is definitely different from most other things I watch. What with the whole, no real plot to it. I felt like I was watching a soap opera set in the vatican, except with good acting and writing. Actually, I think soap operas tend to have more plot than this show

Will tune in for Season 2.
Advertisements  
Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Supposedly the show will get a second season so I'm not sure what we're supposed to make of the ending of this one.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 AM

I really liked it. Well acted and visually stunning. Compelling characters. I catch myself still thinking about it from time to time.

One of the things that bother me, other than the inexplicable kangaroo, is his abrupt 180 from the severe and ultra-conservative pope through episode 8 to a suddenly more open minded one in episode 9.

The speech was another strange thing. He never went to Guatemala to hear the stories about the young girl, he seemed skeptical about the miracles she was reporter to perform, yet that's who he chose to speak about in the end. Odd choice.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:18 PM
SDSAB

I've been trying to place Sebastian Roché, the actor who plays Cardinal Marivaux (the guy who told the Pope about the Blessed Juana and tried to convince him to go to Guatemala). None of his movie credits rang a bell. Then it hit me - awhile back, I saw him play George Washington in the short film they show at the visitor's center at Mount Vernon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Roch%C3%A9
https://www.amazon.com/George-Washin.../dp/B001W2GM20
https://twitter.com/sebroche/status/327907295210119168
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102301266.html
Old 02-19-2017, 11:16 AM

I found too much conflicting directions, which left me like "Huh?"
* The Pope says, often, that he doesn't believe in God; but he prays "God, I need to talk to you now" and gets responses. (Does he say the same line for Esther? Don't remember.)
* He's ultra-strict throwback, until he suddenly loosens up -- at least on homosexual priests
* He quotes Old Testament way more than New Testament. How can he quote "eye for an eye" to Voiello?
* His boyhood friend is punished for having sex with a married woman. This seems very much like an Old Testament judgement. Does the show FAVOR the harsher eye-for-eye approach?
* He's seen as a Christ figure (the way he spreads his arms when praying for miracles, etc) but at the same time, he's shown as a really nasty unpleasant guy (push the button to get rid of boring people, mean joke on the children, etc.)
* The nonsense about the actor couple playing his parents was just silly. Sister Mary was generally so understanding, how could she think he would fall for such an idiotic ploy?

The acting was fabulous, the characters all believable, the story was compelling but I found the lack of clarity/direction annoying.

Last edited by OHS201; 02-19-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoe View Post
Once the new credit sequence rolled out, culminating in a reenactment of Cattelan's awesome sculpture, I resolved to keep watching no matter how batshit or boring this ends up being.
I'm about to jump out of this thread for fear of being spoiled. But it probably won't take me long to power through the remaining episodes & return.

Give me excellent art direction, a bit of interesting music & some bravura performances. Plot? I'll see how it develops.

Architectural Digest has an article on locations for the series since filming is forbidden in the Vatican. Sets built at Cinecittà Studios include a full-size "Sistine Chapel." But we are also seeing many real buildings & gardens in Rome & elsewhere....
Old 02-19-2017, 01:25 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
...Architectural Digest has an article on locations for the series since filming is forbidden in the Vatican. Sets built at Cinecittà Studios include a full-size "Sistine Chapel." But we are also seeing many real buildings & gardens in Rome & elsewhere....
Very interesting - thanks! I remember Gangs of New York, including 1860s NYC street scenes, was filmed at Cinecittà too.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 PM
SDSAB

I stumbled across this Wiki article about one of the Vatican paintings that appears in the opening credits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delive...eys_(Perugino). Check out the "Legend" section.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM
SDSAB

https://www.amazon.com/Conclave-nove...onclave+harris

Just finished Robert Harris's novel Conclave. A very interesting, well-researched but occasionally farfetched look at the near-future election of a new Pope, with plenty of Vatican intrigue, secrets and political maneuvering (it also has a whopper of an ending). Any fan of The Young Pope will want to check it out.