The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-25-2017, 07:18 AM

Oscars: 2016 Best Picture nominees - ongoing tracking thread of which of the films you have seen

I did this last year and thought it went well.

This thread is intended to centrally track which of this year's Best Picture nominees Dopers have seen.

The list below is presented so that each contributor may cut and paste for each subsequent post in order to keep his or her own running, updated list.

Your review of each movie - I will use a 4-Star scale - is optional. Discussion is encouraged.

The nominees are:

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight
Advertisements  
Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 AM

Seen:

La La Land ***
Manchester by the Sea ****

Not seen:

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
Lion
Moonlight

Brief reviews:

La La Land: Enjoyed it, had fun, but a tiny bit of it rubbed me the wrong way. Seemed a bit too contrived, too Look How Old Time Hollywood We Are. Felt like it was trying too hard to be loved at many points. Good performances, music was less than amazing but pretty damn good. Deducted one point for feeling so manipulated.

Manchester by the Sea: Yeah, I've only seen two nominated films so far, but this one is the one to beat. Ben Affleck? Oh, you mean Casey's brother? Yep, he is that good. Powerful film, couple of unexpected surprises in the plot that are gut-wrenching. Beautifully filmed.

mmm
Old 01-25-2017, 07:47 AM

Seen:

Arrival - three stars
I had really high expectations and it didn't quite live up to them. Amy Adams was terrific and it's a shame she was shut out of Best Actress.

Hacksaw Ridge - three stars
A unique WWII story I hadn't heard before. But even with Mel Gibson's directorial nod, it has zero chance of winning.

Manchester by the Sea - four stars
Powerful and devastating, with unexpected moments of humor.

Hoping to see La La Land and Hidden Figures very soon.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:26 AM

Seen:
Moonlight -- FOUR STARS
Fences -- THREE AND A HALF STARS
Hidden Figures -- THREE STARS

Not seen:
Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Lion
La La Land
Manchester by the Sea

I've been in love with Janelle Monae since she was a Kansas City girl, creating her own funk-pop-electronica alternate universe. Turns out she can also act! (She has a small part in Moonlight, and a larger one in Hidden Figures).
Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Seen them all:

Arrival ****
Fences **
Hacksaw Ridge ***
Hell or High Water ***1/2
Hidden Figures ***1/2
La La Land ***1/2
Lion ***
Moonlight ****

Number one with a bullet is Arrival, just to separate the four star movies.

Last edited by drm; 01-25-2017 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Missed rating a movie.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:03 PM

I want to see darn near all of them and so far haven't seen one After months and months of not caring about going to the movies and now there's a ton of great ones and my dread of the unpleasant theater experience is so great I can't seem to make myself go. I wish they were available on demand - at theater prices, of course. Well, what I really wish is that theaters weren't smelly, filthy rooms where rude assholes congregate, seemingly for no other reason than to have a climate controlled place to look at their phones.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I don't know where you live, but for the most part theaters aren't "smelly, filthy rooms where rude assholes congregate". In particular, older audiences are less likely to be on their phones.

As for the OP, the only ones I haven't seen are Fences, Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures. I'll try to see one or more of them this weekend. I liked the ones I have seen.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM

I've seen all the Picture nominees. Here's how I would rank them:

Moonlight
Manchester by the Sea
Hidden Figures
Hell or High Water
Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Lion
La La Land
Old 01-25-2017, 01:29 PM

I've seen Arrival and Hidden Figures. I'm hoping to see La La Land soon.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I don't know where you live, but for the most part theaters aren't "smelly, filthy rooms where rude assholes congregate". In particular, older audiences are less likely to be on their phones.

As for the OP, the only ones I haven't seen are Fences, Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures. I'll try to see one or more of them this weekend. I liked the ones I have seen.
Unfortunately they are here.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:24 PM

I haven't seen any of the nominated pictures, but I've watched all of the official trailers. Based on that, the ones I'd most like to see (in order) are:

Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land
Hidden Figures
Arrival
Hell or High Water

I'll wait until release on Netflix or Amazon Prime for the rest. But based on the reviews, the only reason I'd watch the rest is because they're Oscar nominated. I loved Slumdog Millionaire, but Lion looks like a grown-up version of it. Moonlight and Fences look super depressing and, given current events, I get enough of that for free. I'm surprised that Manchester by the Sea is so well-regarded because even though I think Casey Affleck is an incredibly talented actor (much more so than Ben), the trailer didn't make the movie look all that compelling or the storyline all that unique.

I wonder if anyone else went in with lower expectations of these four and came away completely blown away by the actual films.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

FYI, I believe Hell or High Water is available for rental, as are Florence Foster Jenkins and Captain Fantastic (the latter two received nominations for acting).
Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

I've seen them all, some multiple times. My personal ratings (out of 5):

Arrival ****1/2
Fences ***1/2
Hacksaw Ridge ****1/2
Hell or High Water ****
Hidden Figures ***** (not because it's the "best" but because I love it so much)
La La Land ***1/2
Lion ***1/2
Manchester by the Sea ****1/2
Moonlight ****1/2

I've seen Arrival 3 times, Hidden Figures twice and La La Land twice. I will see Hidden Figures and Moonlight again. Hidden Figures is my favorite of the nominees but if I had to choose which one I think is "best" I would say Arrival. But they're all really very good, even, yes, Lion.

My very favorite movie of 2016 (Sing Street) didn't get any nominations at all, which makes me sad. It should have gotten at least a song nomination.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Unfortunately they are here.
I've seen over a hundred films in the theater this year, and had only one bad experience - and I didn't make a stink about it as it was obvious from the comments and voice that this is an intellectually disabled person, and all I could do is shame her caregiver.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I've seen over a hundred films in the theater this year...
You go to the movies, on average, every 3 days?

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous.

mmm
Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

mmm
Usually multiple movies on a weekend, and the popular ones on a Tuesday when there is not a crowd.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:

mmm
I actively dislike seeing movies at home, so most of my film-watching is theatrical. In 2016, I saw 229 features and 256 short films in the cinema. For 2017, I'm already up to 31 features and 28 shorts.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
I actively dislike seeing movies at home, so most of my film-watching is theatrical. In 2016, I saw 229 features and 256 short films in the cinema. For 2017, I'm already up to 31 features and 28 shorts.
I'd do the same, if I could. The most I can see at a theater in a calendar year is 50-60.
I just can't afford to go more than that.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
I'd do the same, if I could. The most I can see at a theater in a calendar year is 50-60.
Well, in all fairness, I work in the industry so I get festival passes and free screening tickets regularly (plus indulge in bargain matinees, discount nights, and double features). Plus, i live in a market where there are archival screenings constantly (I'd estimate 1/3 of the films I see are from the 20th century), so the choices are more sizable. Being single helps, too.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This thread is intended to centrally track which of this year's Best Picture nominees Dopers have seen.

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight
None.

I did have interest in seeing and might see Hacksaw Ridge and La La Land.

Oscars becoming less and less relevant.

Last edited by DrDeth; 01-27-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Old 01-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by DrDeth; 01-27-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Old 01-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
There are ways.

For one, different theaters charge different prices depending on location. For instance, in the Chicago area, an evening show is $11.89 at AMC Streets of Woodfield, $13.43 at AMC River East 21...and $5.99 at AMC Galewood 14. Same projectors and screens, same sound systems, same seats.

Another is MoviePass. NOT a good deal if you don't see a lot of films, but a great deal if you do. My wife joined at their "unlimited" level which gets her into one film every 24 hours for $49.99 a month. She tries to see a film every single night, and usually manages. You need to have a smart phone, and download their app. You "check in" at the venue, select the ticket from the app and they put the cost of the ticket on a debit card they supply. You purchase the ticket from the box office or kiosk then photograph it with the phone to confirm that it was used for that purpose.

She has bought more than $200 worth of tickets with this.

Last edited by gaffa; 01-27-2017 at 01:32 PM..
Old 01-27-2017, 01:32 PM

I've only seen Lion so far, give a a B/B+. Liked it, but in hindsight, it struck me as a little by-the-numbers in the more crowd-pleasing parts but nothing really memorable or noteworthy in the more unique aspects of the movie. But a worthy tearjerker, overall.

It has zero chance of winning.

We have a projector/big screen at home, but, to my disappointment, it's still not the same as going to the movies (although it's freaking awesome for televised sports). Best analogy is that it's like the difference between going to church and staying home and reading the Bible. YMMV.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

So far:

Arrival -- first-class SF film. Loved the ending. 9/10
La La Land -- I absolutely love this film. Great in every aspect. 10/10
Hidden Figures -- Also excellent. 8/10
Moana -- OK, but far too mechanical and routine (though the end redeems it a bit) 7/10
Zootopia -- also OK. 7/10
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them -- nicely done overall, but disposable 7/10
Piper (animated short) -- technically nice, but rather slight 6/10
Rogue One A Star Wars Story -- overlong and showed absolutely nothing new. Long, boring fight scenes and poor characters. 5/10

Last edited by RealityChuck; 01-27-2017 at 01:51 PM..
Old 01-27-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
So far:

Arrival -- first-class SF film. Loved the ending. 9/10
La La Land -- I absolutely love this film. Great in every aspect. 10/10
Hidden Figures -- Also excellent. 8/10
Moana -- OK, but far too mechanical and routine (though the end redeems it a bit) 7/10
Zootopia -- also OK. 7/10
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them -- nicely done overall, but disposable 7/10
Piper (animated short) -- technically nice, but rather slight 6/10
Rogue One A Star Wars Story -- overlong and showed absolutely nothing new. Long, boring fight scenes and poor characters. 5/10
Thanks for playing, but only 3 of these are Best Picture nominees.

mmm
Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
You've got me beat. I saw 220 movies (features, no shorts) in the theater in 2016, and so far this year I've seen 23, with a few more scheduled before Feb. 1. Like you I prefer seeing movies in the theater and will have to force myself to watch some of the screeners I received to vote on the Independent Spirit awards.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
None...
Thanks for your contribution.

mmm
Old 01-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Oscars becoming less and less relevant.
Relevant to who and what and how? And who cares? They're not going away anytime soon. Your snark does nothing to help the process, so why even bother? You're not much into movies. That's cool, no problem, but why go into a thread about the Oscars to let us all know about how not-interested you are? I don't watch TV but I don't go into Emmy threads and say that I've seen "None" of the nominated shows, then spout off about how not-relevant TV awards are.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:34 PM

Saw Lion yesterday and was blindsided by how much it moved me. The first half, featuring the young Saroo, was a bit more of a ride than the second, but I found myself caught up in the quest despite its predictability. And Sunny Pawar may be the cutest little boy on earth. Four stars out of four.

Seen:

La La Land ***
Lion ****

Not seen:

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
Moonlight
Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Charter Jays Fan

We just started this weekend with "Arrival" and "Moonlight."

"Arrival" was okay, but really not terrific. There were a few times it was so disjointedly edited that I thought something was wrong.

"Moonlight" was wonderful. Absolutely a five star perfect movie. What I found baffling was Mahershala Ali gets an Oscar nomination and he wasn't in the top three acting performances in this movie. Either Trevante Rhodes or Ashton Sanders would have been better choices.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
"Arrival" was okay, but really not terrific. There were a few times it was so disjointedly edited that I thought something was wrong.
I'll have to see Arrival again. Not every film yields up everything it has in the first viewing, and I feel I've only caught the surface of this film. Like Crouching Tigers, Hidden Dragons - it wasn't until the third viewing that the full emotional payload of that film hit me, and it went from good to great. The "disjointed" editing was to foreshadow/echo later and earlier plot developments.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:59 AM

Just got back from Moonlight. A powerful movie that touches on universal struggles and emotions.
The perfectly executed final diner scene cemented my four-star rating.

Seen:

La La Land ***
Lion ****
Moonlight ****

Not seen:

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures

mmm
Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I'll have to see Arrival again. Not every film yields up everything it has in the first viewing, and I feel I've only caught the surface of this film. Like Crouching Tigers, Hidden Dragons - it wasn't until the third viewing that the full emotional payload of that film hit me, and it went from good to great. The "disjointed" editing was to foreshadow/echo later and earlier plot developments.
No, I got the plot; I just felt it was herky jerky. Cuts that were too abrupt, transitions that were jarring, a minute spent there when it should have been spent there. Movies can move back and forth in a nonlinear way and do it well, but I am literally saying it was badly edited.

Interestingly, I came away from Villeneuve's last effort, "Sicario," with exactly the same feelings as I did this one; "This is a movie I should have liked. I'm convinced there's a great story there. But I just didn't enjoy that. Why was such cool subject matter so dull?" "Sicario" was also very well received so there's something he's doing that I just don't like, I guess.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
You've got me beat. I saw 220 movies (features, no shorts) in the theater in 2016, and so far this year I've seen 23, with a few more scheduled before Feb. 1. Like you I prefer seeing movies in the theater and will have to force myself to watch some of the screeners I received to vote on the Independent Spirit awards.
In all fairness, I'd be willing to bet you did see at least 2 shorts in the theater: the Oscar-nominated Piper and the shortlisted Inner Workings, which preceded Finding Dory and Moana respectively in most cinemas.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:28 PM

In the order I would rank them:

Arrival
Fences
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures

It's just coincidental that it's alphabetical so far.

Plan to see:

La La Land
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

Will be skipping:

Hacksaw Ridge. I can't handle too much violence and gore.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
...Will be skipping:

Hacksaw Ridge. I can't handle too much violence and gore.
That's what you said last year about Mad Max and The Revenant

Just curious if you ever did see those two?

mmm
Old 01-30-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
That's what you said last year about Mad Max and The Revenant

Just curious if you ever did see those two?

mmm
Nope. I recognize my own limitations.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:23 PM

I saw La La Land and Hidden Figures over the weekend.

I feel like La La Land should win the technical awards, but the acting in Hidden Figures was incredible. I'd be fine with either winning Best Picture. But I haven't seen Moonlight yet.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Jays Fan

If La La Land does win Best Picture, which looks pretty likely, I'm predicting that within 15 years or so people will look back and say "Geez, really?"

I say that because that's how people generally regard musical Best Picture winners. There are some exceptions; "West Side Story" has held up, and "The Sound Of Music" is beloved (I personally think it's a preposterous choice, but I'll bow to the mob on that one.) But if you asked people to make a list of the greatest movies ever, I don't think Gigi, Chicago, or Oliver! are going to make a lot of people's lists. Hell, I'm not convinced the BEST musicals are going to compete with the likes of The Godfather.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
If La La Land does win Best Picture, which looks pretty likely, I'm predicting that within 15 years or so people will look back and say "Geez, really?"

I say that because that's how people generally regard musical Best Picture winners. There are some exceptions; "West Side Story" has held up, and "The Sound Of Music" is beloved (I personally think it's a preposterous choice, but I'll bow to the mob on that one.) But if you asked people to make a list of the greatest movies ever, I don't think Gigi, Chicago, or Oliver! are going to make a lot of people's lists. Hell, I'm not convinced the BEST musicals are going to compete with the likes of The Godfather.
There have been plenty of non-musical Best Picture winners where people are saying "Geez, really" (if they are saying anything at all).

But I agree with everything you wrote.

mmm
Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
There have been plenty of non-musical Best Picture winners where people are saying "Geez, really" (if they are saying anything at all).
I agree. It was just a few months ago I said I couldn't believe a movie as bad as "Return of the King" could win Best Picture. I just think it's generally likelier to be true of a musical. I can't think of any musical that's won Best Picture that I think was a good choice.

Looking at it just logically, it is inevitable that a slate of Best Picture winners will not represent the best pictures, for the simple fact that they name exactly one Best Picture every year. (It is actually possible more than one could be named if there's a tie, but that's never happened and it's unlikely - I know there have been a few ties, but given the number of votes in a major category it really is a remarkable fluke if it happens.) There's two clear problems with this;

1. The statistical likelihood that the best movies of all time will be arranged in such a fashion that one, and just one, is released every one calendar year is basically one in a bazillion. It is hardly a stretch to think that there may be two or three movies in one year that are better than any movie in another.

2. The greatness of a movie is to a large extent defined by its lasting impact on culture and cinema. I think it's fair to say that you cannot necessarily known for sure what the best, most important movie of the year was by the following January. In retrospect, it's now obvious that films like "Fargo," "Pulp Fiction" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" were more important, impactful films than the movies that won Best Picture in those years, but that's with the benefit of two decades of hindsight.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-01-2017 at 08:14 AM..
Old 02-01-2017, 12:47 PM

Hell or High Water - I'm doling out 4-star reviews like Butterfingers on Halloween, but this one deserves every star. This has the look and the feel of a Coen brothers film. Jeff Bridges creates an unforgettable character out of thin air and earned his Supporting Actor nod. Another understated and perfect ending.

Seen:

La La Land ***
Lion ****
Moonlight ****
Hell or High Water ****

Not seen:

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hidden Figures

mmm
Old 02-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Just came back from seeing Moonlight.

Seen:

Arrival: ***
Hell or High Water ***
Hidden Figures ***
La La Land ** 1/2
Moonlight ****

Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Lion

I also saw The Founder the other day. I know it's not a nominated film (not sure if it's a 2016 release or a 2017 release) but if it was released in 2016 I think Keaton could have earned a Best Actor nom.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:41 PM

Hidden Figures (2 stars)

And here we have my first clunker. An interesting story that could have been done so much better. Between the sub-par acting (Taraji Henson), the cliche-ridden dialog, and the one-dimensional characters (Parsons and Dunst's, primarily, along with an assortment of less-prominent characters), this was a huge disappointment. Worth a watch on streaming or DVD, but certainly not Best Picture nomination worthy.

Seen:

La La Land ***
Lion ****
Moonlight ****
Hell or High Water ****
Hidden Figures **

Not seen:

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge

mmm
Old 02-05-2017, 09:05 AM

In the order I would rank them:

Moonlight
Arrival
Fences
Hell or High Water
La La Land
Hidden Figures

Plan to see:

Lion
Manchester by the Sea

Will be skipping:

Hacksaw Ridge
Old 02-07-2017, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone know if the Animated and Live Action shorts will be screened in theaters this year? They have in the past but I haven't heard a word about them this year. Maybe they'll show up somewhere this weekend.

I know the the Documentary shorts will be playing at the Music Box here in Chicago this and next weekend. Three will be shown on Saturday morning and two on Sunday morning, both weekends. It sucks that they're being split up but better that way than not at all. I don't think I've ever seen the Doc shorts prior to the Oscars before.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Never mind, I found this:

http://shorts.tv/theoscarshorts/
Old 02-07-2017, 09:20 AM

I like movies. My wife and I enjoy going to the movies. Somehow, though, I don't think we've seen a movie in the past 12 months, at a theater. I'm going to make a point of seeing some of these, peope seem to think it's a good crop this year.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:45 PM

I saw Hidden Figures last night. I give it **1/2 stars. Was a bit too "Hollywood" for me, but great acting performances.

The only other Oscar nominated Best Picture films I have seen this year were Arrival and Manchester by the Sea. I'd give Arrival ***1/2 and MBTS ****. I thought Arrival was just a fantastic thoughtful sci-fi film with a great twist. I thought Manchester by the Sea was an utterly powerful examination of grief and how far it can affect people.

I hope to see Moonlight and LaLa Land in the upcoming weeks so I can actually make a proper list.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Arrival - 3.5 stars. I thought is was a smarter-than-average sci-fi movie, but dumber-than-average Oscar nominee.
Fences - 3.5 stars. Washington and Davis were fantastic; among the best performances I saw this year. But on the whole I felt the screenplay worked better as a play than as a film. The dialogue was dynamic but the staging was too static.

Hacksaw Ridge
- not yet seen
Hell or High Water - not yet seen

Hidden Figures - 5 stars. Yes, a little too Hollywood-formula, but it was done well and movingly. All three lead actresses were excellent and it's one of Kevin Costner's best performances in ages. Plus it is a story that needs to be told. Don't just go see it; take your kids, especially your daughters.

La La Land - 4.5 stars. As a film major in college, I loved all the callbacks to classic American musicals. The singing, dancing and choreography ranged from good to stellar. I left the movie smiling and humming, despite the somewhat melancholy ending. I also have a major ongoing crush on Emma Stone. IMO this is a shoe-in to win the award, because it's a delightful movie about Los Angeles, Hollywood, and Art. The voters will eat it up. My complaints are minor, in that the movie is a little too frivolous and self-centered.

Lion - haven't seen yet

Manchester by the Sea - 5 stars. A shattering, completely devastating performance by Casey Affleck. Also stellar turns by Michelle Williams and Lucas Hedges. This film captures working class New England beautifully, and is heart-achingly brilliant. I think it is too dark to win, but it's my favorite and would get my vote in a nudge over Hidden Figures.

Moonlight - Haven't seen yet.

Now I'll go back and read everyone else's opinions..

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 02-09-2017 at 09:13 PM..