The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-26-2017, 09:21 PM

The CW's Riverdale (open spoilers)

So did everyone think of Riverdale's premiere? I'm not sure how I feel about the darker & edgier thing, but I'll give it a shot. The Ms Grundy subplot has a shocker. On the other hand Kevin/Moose is an interesting pairing and Cole Sprouse has said Jughead's asexuality is going to be explored.

Last edited by alphaboi867; 01-26-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 01-26-2017, 10:10 PM

There are posters for this all over Chicago "L" platforms, but it looks like Archie 90210.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
There are posters for this all over Chicago "L" platforms, but it looks like Archie 90210.
Complete with Luke Perry!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:43 AM

I don't generally mind the tone shift or the character updates, but hunky, brooding Archie just does not work for me.

Does the awkwardly handsome Dawson prototype not work in teen dramas anymore?

Last edited by planetcory; 01-27-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Gave it a try, probably won't be watching again. Like almost everything else on the CW (no matter what the setting or premise) it's a bland, rather generic relationship drama about a group of improbably attractive, affluent, highly emotional twenty-somethings (even if they are playing teen-somethings.)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Gave it a try, probably won't be watching again. Like almost everything else on the CW (no matter what the setting or premise) it's a bland, rather generic relationship drama about a group of improbably attractive, affluent, highly emotional twenty-somethings (even if they are playing teen-somethings.)
If it helps, the guy playing Archie apparently is a for-real no-foolin' teen.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Like almost everything else on the CW (no matter what the setting or premise) it's a bland, rather generic relationship drama about a group of improbably attractive, affluent, highly emotional twenty-somethings (even if they are playing teen-somethings.)
Yeah, the ads did nothing for me. Looked like a typical CW teen drama where the characters have the same names and approximate hair colors as the characters in the Archie comics.

Of course, I haven't read an Archie comic in decades so maybe I'm being unfair and what's in the ads is an accurate portrayal of a 2017 Archie comic digest.

The humor of things like "Punisher visits Archie" was the juxtaposition of that against the soapy clean Riverdale world including the classic artwork. I didn't watch so I'm not sure if they tried to capture any of that or if this was just some dude named Archie making out with some chick named Betty/Veronica against a wall in a dimly lit room.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:31 AM

Heck, the very first episode got an out-of-nowhere Betty/Veronica kiss out of the way.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:27 AM

Archie made out with Grundy. Grundy,
Who the hell is the "gay best friend" anyway? No need for an original character. Make Jughead gay instead. And WTF with Moose?
Archie's Mum has left him and Dad? Probably they thought there already were too many redheads and wrote her out.
And Veronica's Daddy is now a Madoff expy? Which is sad, cause Mr Lodge was one of the more level-headed characters.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Archie made out with Grundy. Grundy,
Who the hell is the "gay best friend" anyway? No need for an original character. Make Jughead gay instead.
Kevin Keller is an existing -- and gay -- character in the comics.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Well apparently he is. Looked him up. Though I have not read the comics for going on 10 years.

Still, I thought he was poorly done. It was like, "here is Kevin, who is gay". and thats it. I don't know how he is portrayed in the comics. Hopefully like Chuck? Chucks race is acknowledged but in 95% of his stories, its not an issue. You can grow to like him on his own merits and quirks.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Of course, I haven't read an Archie comic in decades so maybe I'm being unfair and what's in the ads is an accurate portrayal of a 2017 Archie comic digest.
They are doing some really excellent things with Archie these days in the comics. Between the rebooted main Archie series that updates the gang to modern days (and improves the artwork) to the wonderfully creepy Afterlife with Archie to the even more wonderfully creepy (and extremely gory) Sabrina, I applaud the Archie team's efforts to keep the series relevant for modern audiences. They are taking more chances than a lot of the more traditionally "edgy" comics, and I love it.

Haven't watched Riverdale yet. I recorded the first episode, so I'll have to do that soon.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Still, I thought he was poorly done. It was like, "here is Kevin, who is gay". and thats it.
This is my first introduction to Kevin as well. For me, Riverdale earned plenty of time to develop him later just by hanging a lampshade on the unveiling of such a seemingly stock character:

Kevin: Is cheerleading still a thing?
Cheryl: Is being the gay best friend still a thing?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Or, as Cat Grant put it in Supergirl, "the attractive, yet non-threatening racially diverse cast of a CW show."
Old 01-29-2017, 01:40 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I don't know why but I was totally not turned off by Riverdale. And I am the girl who didn't watch any teen dramas (Dawson, My So Called Life, Party of Five, 90210) when I was an actual TEEN.

I was never really in to Archie either but then again the only comics I ever read were Betty & Veronica in the late 80s/early 90s. My dad bought them for me when he went to buy beer haha I don't remember a thing about the stories, just that sometimes Archie liked Betty and sometimes Veronica. But i read them a lot!

I also do not remember Kevin and was disappointed to find out he wasn't Jughead.

Anyway, I have a feeling I might actually watch this. Weird.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
...to the wonderfully creepy Afterlife with Archie...
Yeah, when they can be bothered to publish an issue. There have been what, ten issues in the over three years since it started? I gave up on it after waiting a YEAR between issues 8 and 9. Apparently this crapfest tv show is the reason for the delays.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:45 PM

I thought it was kind of impressive (if that's the right word) how they managed to cram most of the first season and a half of Glee into a single episode, including a cover of a 1980s pop hit performed by the characters, lezploitation cheerleaders, a closet case jock, a backstory involving a music teacher's inappropriate sexual behavior with a student, and a leading man torn between football and his musical aspirations. Oh yeah, and there's also kinda incestuous seeming fraternal twins, although that wasn't a thing on Glee until the final season.

As it turns out, showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is both Chief Creative Officer for Archie Comics and a former staffwriter for Glee.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I thought it was kind of impressive (if that's the right word) how they managed to cram most of the first season and a half of Glee into a single episode, including a cover of a 1980s pop hit performed by the characters, lezploitation cheerleaders, a closet case jock, a backstory involving a music teacher's inappropriate sexual behavior with a student, and a leading man torn between football and his musical aspirations. Oh yeah, and there's also kinda incestuous seeming fraternal twins, although that wasn't a thing on Glee until the final season.
I never saw Glee, but now I'm wondering whether they likewise managed to throw in a whole put-a-girl-in-a-mental-hospital plot for a guy who then got murdered.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:06 PM

I figured I'd just watch the pilot (I do that for many new shows, because I'm curious and so I'll have something to talk about if they come up in conversation), but by the end of the pilot I was sufficiently intrigued (Veronica's nice? Why aren't Archie and Jughead friends any more? The bullet hole in the forehead puts the kibosh on the sister's story, but the final voiceover implied that someone else is going to be arrested.) that I'll probably watch at least another episode or two.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I never saw Glee, but now I'm wondering whether they likewise managed to throw in a whole put-a-girl-in-a-mental-hospital plot for a guy who then got murdered.
No, while Glee was never particularly restrained or realistic, they never did a murder plot. At least not that I can remember, but so much nonsensical rubbish happened in the later seasons that it's possible I've forgotten something.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Finally got to this last night. It had its flaws, but I have to say I was thoroughly entertained - as much by the "Shakespeare in Love" conceit as the actual presentation. I was worried that the GrimDark points would overshadow the fun, and they didn't; they just kept it from being as fluffo-cutesy as Supergirl, which we've found to be unwatchable despite liking the CW superhero lineup.

KJ Apa just fraggin' nails the character, in looks and attitude. We didn't see enough of Jughead to judge but it looks as if that's an equally good bit of casting. The rest... eh, good enough.

And the sheer audacity/silliness/'tude of the conceit had me giggling all the way through. I will give the season a watch unless it spirals into the depths somehow.

My thought halfway through: Miss Grundy's a bad girl... she was just never drawn that way.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:19 PM

Does anyone not think Cheryl & Jason were committing incest? Obviously things aren't going to be nearly as simple as Cheryl killing her brother (which pointedly said "I'm guilty" not "I killed him"). Cheryl's clearly the biggest bitch of the teen generation, but on the adult side I think Ms Grundy is going to give Mrs Cooper a run for her money.

Speaking of money, Veronica can causally buy spa gift certificates while her mother is reduced to waiting tables at Pop's? And Riverdale's apparently large enough to have a fancy hotel where they own a suite (the hotel itself can't be in Mrs Lodges name, or she wouldn't be working as a waitress). Veronica being poor feels like an even bigger deviation than Betty threatening to kill someone.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Does anyone not think Cheryl & Jason were committing incest? Obviously things aren't going to be nearly as simple as Cheryl killing her brother (which pointedly said "I'm guilty" not "I killed him").
SPOILER:
Well, Cheryl DID kill her brother in Afterlife With Archie, and the motive WAS incest related.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 PM

Well if this wasn't based on Archie Comics I wouldn't have started watching in the first place. I don't have any idea who killed Jason, but I'm starting to think he didn't have nearly as much to do with Polly's mental breakdown as Alice Cooper think's he did.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 PM

Catching up...

First two:

Random thoughts...

Jughead should be an easy favorite but he hasn't gotten to do too much yet. Is he the narrator? He reminds me of my high school journalism days. He is asexual in the comics but the studio overruled that so I guess he will be matching up eventually. The hat is well done. Kevin Keller is my second obvious favorite.

I hated comics Veronica as a kid but like her here. I don't remember the Blossom twins or Betty's sister from the comics.

I like the end of episode teasers. This feels like it wants to be a supernatural show or maybe something in the Twin Peaks / Bates Motel wheelhouse.

Archie's dilemma seems manufactured though, unless the whole case ends up hinging on the time of the gunshot, an anonymous tip should suffice or if he really needs to he can just say he was hiking alone.

Between him and the Blossoms there seems to be some kind of ginger pride thing going.

I like his Dad. He seems to be headed towards something with Veronicas mom. Who seems like she accidently traded places with Betty's mom. What's up with Archie's mom though.

I'm getting an eating disorder or self harm vibe from Betty.

Overall Archie seems like the Ted Mosby of Riverdale, technically the lead but really just the revolving point of the other better characters.

Episode three...

My journalistic predictions came true. And Juggy got more to do. I could see him and Betty together.

Nice to see Barb from Stranger Things. It was fun seeing her slink into and peek out of doorways.

The gunshot thing was a big herring and would have been a let down if not for the previews for next week. For some reason I want Dilton to be Asian like a young John Cho. I'm not sure I buy him as a survivalist. I hear he is being recast. Hope they find a better storyline for him.

Lots of light and dark sides of girl power between Josie and then the revenge squad. B&V had a bit of a Chicago vibe. I hope they don't go full on MPD with Betty. Not looking forward to Ominous Wig the sequel. The hot tub scene felt like the flashback scene in an installment of I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Wonder how the firing of the goon squad will have tragic results. I hope they don't kill Barb again. I mean Ethel.

Betty and the lipstick vs her Mom gave me Titanic flashbacks. But I continue to be amused by the power of lipstick color names to be more important than their actual shades.

Archie remains a cipher. As nice as it is to have Josie time, he doesn't really seem to need much help with his music. And certainly not by writing lyrics for other people.

I mostly enjoyed the newspaper parts. Next week looks better.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
Between him and the Blossoms there seems to be some kind of ginger pride thing going.

I like his Dad. He seems to be headed towards something with Veronicas mom. Who seems like she accidently traded places with Betty's mom. What's up with Archie's mom though.
Probably they thought they had enough gingers already.

She and Mr Lodge are the most prominent 'rents in the comics, so this cannot be a coincident. Mrs Lodge (who incidentally **is** named Hermione) is the least, alongwith Reggie's parents; who are basically never seen.

I don't like that Kevin has taken over Reggie's spot in the main five; the shows Reggie has his jerkish attitude; but lacks the genuine friendship he has with the others.

Last edited by AK84; 02-10-2017 at 04:07 AM..
Old 02-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Jughead should be an easy favorite but he hasn't gotten to do too much yet. Is he the narrator?
Yes, he is. The narration is the text of the book he's writing about Jason's murder.

Quote:
I don't remember the Blossom twins or Betty's sister from the comics.
The Blossoms were introduced in the 80s, Cheryl taking Veronica's place as the rich bitch, as they'd stopped playing the latter that way. Cheryl is, actually, worse than Ronnie ever was - Riverdale actually softens her a lot...Comics Cheryl would never get the sympathetic moments she's gotten here.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:11 AM

Also, it looks like there's some sort of heritable mental illness in the Cooper family.

Poly's institutionalized, Alice reads as paranoid, and Betty seems to be in the midst of developing a psychotic condition.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 PM

Buzzfeed has a which character are you quiz. I got Jughead; which feels about right.

At least we know how the real Ms Grundy is now. I wonder what the Lodges are going to do with that land. Also did anyone not think Keven would hook up with the Southside Snake the moment they exchanged glances?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 AM

So many questions.

Obvious mysteries, like what's the deal with the shady real estate deal? And who tore down the wall of weird, I mean, the who-killed-Jason board? And in her spinning wheel of nice/evil/victim/slightly-evil, where did Grundy finally land, and is that the end of her story? That particular arc felt a little weak.

Then the more practical mysteries, like, where do all of Jughead's friends think he is living, or for that matter, the school district? And instead of telling Archie's Dad, "oooh nostalgia historic landmark daddyo", why not try "Imma be homeless bro"?

I do like him as a cinemaphile. If they added like 3% Kevin Keller to him then *bam* it's me in high school. Although I like him a lot, and he needs a certain amount of snark, I feel like he's missing just a touch of the comics version's core optimism. Having looked at the actor's Twitter, I think he might just be playing himself...

And, did all the parents go to school together, which means, they all basically got pregnant simultaneously?

Did they make V and her Mom hispanic because of her actress? I believe that's a departure from source.

Skeet Ulrich! Nuf said.

Well, and, is he going to end up being Veronica's real Dad? Which would make her Jughead's sister, hmm.

I loved Sheriff Keller's version of concerned parenting. "Can't you go with a nice boy from school? No back woods cruising." I saw the Joaquin-Kevin hookup coming but still enjoyed it. The snake tattoo was a little bit Death Eater. Gryffindor/Slytherin is the new Montague/Capulet.

I enjoyed deus-ex-Betty but damn girl do something about that diary (is Livejournal no longer a thing?). And you should hide your firearms at least as well as Archie hides his porn stash (are porn stashes no longer a thing?).

Next week looks kind of like a Halloween episode.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 AM

More thoughts... Hey Betty has a different diary with a key at the end. Didn't catch that at first. So maybe she orchestrated that whole thing.

Also, Jughead's seems to have a photo of his little sister Jellybean, where's she at?

And all of the titles so far have been named acuter films, but next week is the novel Heart of Darkness. What will the future hold in that regard?

Finally, most of the characters seemed like they were pretty busy with an alibi at the time, but who was absent whom we can suspect for the break in?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:03 AM

Hmm...am I the only one who noticed that 'Ms Grundy''s last shot seems to be an ironic reference to the poster for the 1962 Lolita? Only it's the adult female predator looking over the heart glasses, not the younger female victim.

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 02-17-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 PM

Only watched the first dreadful ep. Only way I'm watching more is if the Punisher comes to town and since it's all dark and edgy and stuff, actually wipes them out.

You know what would have been more interesting than this generic dreck? If they'd based the show on the Spire comics version of Archie. There's nothing on TV like that.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 PM

Tonight's episode really reminded me how much I miss Game of Thrones. Also it's nice to know that Mrs Blossom is capable of not being an evil bitch; at least to people who look almost exactly like her dead son.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:18 PM

I'm really enjoying having a show again that inspires me to air slap the TV screen. That's something everyone needs in their life.

Random musings...

Like the opening nod to Afterlife with Archie with Zombie Jason. Will the Punished be next?

Between Cheryl spending too much time in his bed and the longing glances in flashback, they keep teasing us with potential twincest.

LOL at "sad Breakfast Club" and "PG".

I'm eventually going to break down and zoom in on some screenshots of the murder board to hunt for Easter eggs.

Mmmm lots of tutor subtext.

Too much manufactured drama around football vs music. Let sigh.

Valerie. Nuf said.

This dinner party from hell only needs meatloaf to be complete.

Creepy Nana Rose! Love! I imagine her knitting inappropriate doilies.

What's in the box!? What's in the box!?

Shit it's not Gwenyth Paltrow's head. Got excited there.

I'm sick and tired of these motherfucking snakes in this motherfucking box!

I was glad for the closed captioning which revealed the otherwise inaudible Daddy spat dialogue.

So much attire drama. Jughead in a suit (isn't he homeless?). Cheryl in white water white. And Archie, is a letter jacket really appropriate at a funeral, even for a team mate?

But the best of all, Romeo and Juliet / Hatfield vs McCoys redux with a Maple Syrup Feud! Delicious!

Next week: all signs point towards Mr Cooper so it must be someone else.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:34 AM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Can anyone translate the motto on the Blossoms' gate? I think it was "Radices Currere Abysse." Sounds ominous...
Old 02-24-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Can anyone translate the motto on the Blossoms' gate? I think it was "Radices Currere Abysse." Sounds ominous...
Type "the roots run deep" into Google Translate, choose Latin as the target language, and it will return "radices currere abyssi". Probably not good naturally-spoken Latin, but sufficient for television.

Last edited by bordelond; 02-24-2017 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci
Did they make V and her Mom hispanic because of her actress? I believe that's a departure from source.

Both actresses are Hispanic but Ronnie is a white girl with jet black hair in the comics.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Hmm...am I the only one who noticed that 'Ms Grundy''s last shot seems to be an ironic reference to the poster for the 1962 Lolita? Only it's the adult female predator looking over the heart glasses, not the younger female victim.
The first episode was repeated last night and I watched parts of it again. Ha, I hadn't previously noticed how "Ms Grundy" was totally eying up Archie as she rolled up on him in her Beetle, with the same Lolita-inspired leer. Nicely done bookends for her story arc.

Also on second viewing, I was disappointed to see a glimpse of Jughead early in the episode. I hadn't processed that on first viewing but it was right there for people more on the ball than me. The reason I was disappointed is because I thought it wasn't disclosed that Jughead was a) indeed in the series and b) the narrator until the diner scene very late in the show, which I thought was just a masterful reveal.

I'm surprised how hooked I am on this show.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borborygmi View Post
...I'm surprised how hooked I am on this show.
Me too. So Polly's pregnant and not crazy (or at least not nearly as crazy has her mom made her out to be). The Riverdale Magdalen Asylum sure has some lousy security. Alice Cooper's sure moving from b-word to c-word territory. Jason faking his own death & leaving town is starting to make sense, and even had a plan to fund their new life. Also there goes the last lingering thread of Jughead's asexuality. And how does a 15 year old being a legal officer of a corporation even work? If she's underage wouldn't Hermione have control over Veronica's shares and not needed to have bothered trying to get her signature?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I have staff for shows like this.

Thing 2: "I watched a few minutes and it ruined Archie comics for me."

I will forward that to my superior, Wife, who considers "Betty and Veronica" comics sickness brain(less) food.

The COC must be followed.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:11 AM

Riverdale s1s6 "Faster Pussycats kill kill"

Best title ever.

Nice ploy at breakfast with Jughead. Good thing Alice could be counted on to insist on escorting him to the bathroom and Dad could be counted on to... be elsewhere. They finally took my advice to follow the paper trail. Does Betty never check the mail, or does the institution send evoices?

I am though, legit liking the Bughead team regardless of Jugs comic-self asexuality. Not sure how invested I am in that controversy. At this juncture tho it's moot.

Wow Archie really croaked. I thought it was a dream sequence. Then all the teen wolves showed up and I was sure. But nope no dream.

"Scooby gang" FTW.

Sisters of Quiet Mercy couldn't sound any creepier.

Diva time. Of course the pussy cats need to get into a cat fight lol.

And once again Veronica is drawn like a magnet to every occasion of her Mom acting naughty.

Archie was insensitive but it still comes off somehow as manufactured drama. Hey, Veronica and Valerie switch places.

LOL at "Ginger Judas".

Why does Betty make some sort of micro adjustment to her pony tail to prep herself for the psych ward? Is that the female non-brute version of the neck crack?

LOL at "Garden of Deliverance".

Creepy nuns are creepy.

"You found *us*"? Is Polly MPD too? Oh "us", like pregnant lol. You called it, folks. Stash Polly away until the baby can be quietly adopted. Pretend she is on a mental health vacation. Hope the Blossoms don't find out.

She seems normal at first but then its hard to tell if she is normal grieving upset, or slightly unhinged.

Creepy guards are creepy.

Josie's Dad seemed intimidating by description and meeting him doesn't help. Bad Myles! Calling her out on the "integrity of music" and Fred as "gentrified". Daaaamnn...

I guess Veronica counts as a woman of color.

Finally, Betty calls out her Dad as a suspect. Psych out as Alice sobs...nope... mock laughs. Hah. Well played. We know the Dad did the break in, but why if he and his wife are innocent?

LOL at "electric Dylan at a film concert".

Hey Bughead gets to kissing. But what is a "yellow wallpaper moment"? Where is my pop culture glossary? Is gaslighting next?

The Cats make up. But Ronnie isn't out of the band! Interesting. Love "I Feel Love".

Of course the car is behind a Blossom billboard. Slight BTTF vibe. Wow, lots of drugs. Maybe that got him killed. But wait, how is his letter jacket in the car when Archie gave it to Jason's mom at the funeral? Or was that his uniform. I'm confused. In any case why weren't the jacket and car reported missing? And who is watching and how did they know to follow Bughead?

Wow, Myles is a major twatwaffle. Walking out halfway through his daughter's song. Cold. If I were the mayor I would divorce him on the spot.

Another ship starting kiss with.. Valerchie? Archery? Ooh I like when they make real words lol. I do like this ship tho. Now we just have to hook up Ronnie and Kevin. Just not with each other. Or Reggie. Recommendations?

Wow Veronica found out about multiple bad things her Mom did this episode. And with "you won" sound like she's gearing up for war...Will she take it out on Archie?

Devastated Josie At least her Mom is comforting her.

Car fire! Rescue attempt! Missing Polly! A lot to work with narratively.

Next week: Jughead and Dad, likely lawyer fakeout. Stay tuned...
Old 03-03-2017, 06:52 AM

Did the writers just put all names in a hat and draw to see who they would pair together like the lamest key party ever?

Kevin: Moose
Betty: Jughead
Archie: Josie
Archie: Fake!Grundy
Mr Andrews: Mrs Lodge

I full expect Lil Jinx to show up next week paired with Dilton.

Last edited by AK84; 03-03-2017 at 06:52 AM..
Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:

Hey Bughead gets to kissing. But what is a "yellow wallpaper moment"? Where is my pop culture glossary? Is gaslighting next?
"The Yellow Wallpaper" is a short story about a man who gaslights his wife by forcing her to go on "the rest cure" in a room with yellow wallpaper. She didn't start out crazy, but she ended up that way.

I was really impressed that they'd drop a reference like that without explaining it.

Quote:
Car fire! Rescue attempt! Missing Polly! A lot to work with narratively.
When Jughead's narration said something about "what is Polly doing now?," my comment to the spouse, based on the lingering shot of the bloody window shards, was "Bleeding out somewhere, apparently."

Loved that they used the cheesy Pussycat outfits and logo from the comics, BTW!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Did the writers just put all names in a hat and draw to see who they would pair together like the lamest key party ever?

Kevin: Moose
Betty: Jughead
Archie: Josie
Archie: Fake!Grundy
Mr Andrews: Mrs Lodge

I full expect Lil Jinx to show up next week paired with Dilton.

It's actually Archie: Valerie...and that's canon in the comics. He did/does have a relationship with her.

I agree with the others, though.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:19 AM

This episode established once and for all that Josie and the Pussycats play their own songs exclusively, with the only exception of everywhere all the time.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:25 AM

did they show the actual singer wasn't Josie it was the black chick? even tho in the cartoon Josie was the lead?
Old 03-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
did they show the actual singer wasn't Josie it was the black chick? even tho in the cartoon Josie was the lead?
What do you mean? All three members of the Pussycats in the show are black (plus Veronica). In the comics, Josie was white.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borborygmi View Post
This episode established once and for all that Josie and the Pussycats play their own songs exclusively, with the only exception of everywhere all the time.
Points, Borborygmi.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
What do you mean? All three members of the Pussycats in the show are black (plus Veronica). In the comics, Josie was white.
I made the same mistake above, which you corrected. In the comics, the Val was the only black Pusseycat and also the only black person in the extended Pusseycat gang. In the show the Pusseycats are all Black, and that's part of their image; moreover Val is confusingly played by a very fair skinned actress with auburn hair and blue eyes, so I can see where people can mix them up.