The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-2017, 10:44 PM
RivkahChaya RivkahChaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
If TCM had a marathon of dated movies

In another thread Ordinary People came up, and someone said it's, well, ordinary. I said, it's more just dated. Then I mentioned Guess Who's Coming to Dinner as a horribly dated movie.

If TCM were doing a festival of horribly dated movies, what films would you nominate?

Oh, and please don't nominate Birth of a Nation, because that film was controversial for being racist as soon as it was released. Also, don't nominate good films that are just technically dated. Yes, all special effects before CGI are a little dated, and all FX from the 1930s are pretty well-dated, but some films with dated FX are still great films, like The Invisible Man or the Fredric March Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Plenty of Oscar winners are dated, though. Johnny Belinda is horribly dated sheerly through the ignorance of Deaf people it displays. No one did any research, because no one thought there was any to do. When TCM runs it, they run a disclaimer with Marlee Matlin and Linda Bove saying how awful it is.

Also, films that were inaccurate and bad from the get-go are not dated. Reefer Madness is just a bad film. I'm looking mostly for films that are dated for social customs, or for really laughably inaccurate scientific information-- Destination Moon is about 85% accurate in its depiction of what a NASA flight to the moon would be like. The made some major flubs, like getting the surface of the moon wrong, but it's so close, it can be forgiven a few things, being made 11 years before a manned flight to the moon. On the other hand, some movies where the entire plot depended on people acting the way they did because of Freudian psychology are pretty laughably dated.

That's all. Jump aboard.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:04 PM
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Chicago Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Wait; why is Ordinary People dated? Because Conrad uses a land line to call the girl he was at the hospital with?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
"Our Town"?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:59 PM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Two of my favorites would be Dr. Strangelove and My Man Godfrey, but the days of the Cold War and the Depression are long since passed.

Speaking of Kubrick, how about 2001: A Space Odyssey? I don't mean just the the year 2001 has come and gone, but there was a certain attitude, and a certain look, that the 1960s thought the future would have (although the pods do look like something you might pick up at the Apple store).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:26 AM
Derleth Derleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Wait; why is Ordinary People dated? Because Conrad uses a land line to call the girl he was at the hospital with?
Because it's an Issue Film about the Issue of how Ordinary People see mental health practitioners, and it doesn't mean they're crazy.

Attitudes have moved on a bit since then.

Philadelphia is dated in multiple ways, from its treatment (or portrayal of the relative lack thereof) of AIDS to its portrayal of no lawyer being willing to take the case of a gay man who was fired for getting AIDS.

In short, a modern film would have to work a lot harder to convince the audience that a senior partner at a huge law firm is on the verge of dying from AIDS, and is about to lose his job because of it.

Ninotchka: Garbo Talks! Garbo Laughs! Garbo Acts In A Light Comedy About The Stalinist USSR!... Yeah, no. The Great Dictator, a film Chaplain has said he'd never have made had he known the truth about Hitler, has aged a whole lot better. (Of course, with lines like "The last mass trials were a great success. There are going to be fewer but better Russians."... can something retroactively become a really, really dark comedy?)

The first couple Home Alone films would require a few new contrivances to explain how nobody's cell phones work and they don't notice. Of course, those films were barely based in reality as it is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:47 AM
Brown Eyed Girl Brown Eyed Girl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles because online booking, AirBnB and Uber.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest because we don't institutionalize the mentally ill anymore. Well, we do, but with prison instead.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2017, 01:05 AM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 35,765
Dark Victory. Today, it would be unforgivable for a doctor to withhold a "negative prognosis" from his patient... and for her best friend to go along with it.

These Three or The Children's Hour. We no longer live in a world in which same-sex attraction is cause for malicious gossip and blackmail, ruining the lives of everyone involved.

Breakfast at Tiffany's: Mickey Rooney.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Mean Mr. Mustard Mean Mr. Mustard is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I am the one who called 'Ordinary People' ordinary. By that I meant it did not deserve the Best Picture award. I agree that it is also dated.

For your marathon I'll nominate 'Sixteen Candles', where every mention of the Asian character Long Duk Dong brings with it the sound of a gong.


mmm
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2017, 06:33 AM
Edward The Head Edward The Head is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere in time
Posts: 6,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles because online booking, AirBnB and Uber.
I'm not sure how well those would have helped. They got diverted to a different state and Dell knew that because of the storm all of the hotels would have been pretty much booked already, not sure how many AirBnB people would have . Hell, Doobies Taxiola WAS the Uber of the time.

I think that it's more dated mostly because of the lack of credit card use and a cell phone/texting. I'm sure Neil would have had his email car rental agreement though, which would have lead to a much more boring exchange for a new fucking car.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2017, 07:53 AM
aldiboronti aldiboronti is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I am the one who called 'Ordinary People' ordinary. By that I meant it did not deserve the Best Picture award. I agree that it is also dated.

For your marathon I'll nominate 'Sixteen Candles', where every mention of the Asian character Long Duk Dong brings with it the sound of a gong.


mmm
I don't think that's dated. I can see movies being made today with just that gag. It's still fine to be politically incorrect in comedies as long as you're making a gag of it, see Tropic Thunder and innumerable other such movies.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 AM
JohnT JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,807
Eh, you could date a lot of films because the plot didn't make use of a device yet invented...

60s movies featuring the "go-go" culture are laughably, even shockingly, dated, and a good example is FF Coppola's You're A Big Boy Now. Released in 1966, this film features a segment about a young lady who goes to the psychiatrist to discuss a sexual assault... and he gets so horny about her story that he tries to assault her as well. And the entire sequence is played for laughs!

Last edited by JohnT; 02-01-2017 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04 AM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 39,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Dark Victory. Today, it would be unforgivable for a doctor to withhold a "negative prognosis" from his patient... and for her best friend to go along with it.
The Bells of St. Mary's does the same thing, especially since the way they treat her is borderline abuse - Not allowing her to do what she loves.

Quote:

These Three or The Children's Hour. We no longer live in a world in which same-sex attraction is cause for malicious gossip and blackmail, ruining the lives of everyone involved.
Our local college did the play. The first act worked as a period piece, but for some reason they set the second act the present day. Not only did your point hold, but nowadays no one would interrogate two people in the same room, to prevent exactly what happened in the play.
__________________
"East is East and West is West and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:25 AM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Phone Booth comes to mind- when was the last time anyone actually saw a phone booth in the wild? Even 15 years ago, they were an endangered species, but if they're not extinct now, they're awfully close.

Really any movie that relies on pre cell phone telephony as a major part of the plot is going to be pretty dated these days.

Also, movies where the culture has changed significantly; "Revenge of the Nerds" stands out in particular- at the time it came out, the scene where Louis shags the hot cheerleader while wearing Ted McGinley's character's costume, was played for laughs, instead of being creepy and rapey like it would be considered today. Ditto for Lamar's exaggerated gayness, and a lot of the other stereotypes.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:47 AM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Blade Runner. What sort of cop uses a pay videophone in 2019?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Steve MB Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 11,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Phone Booth comes to mind- when was the last time anyone actually saw a phone booth in the wild? Even 15 years ago, they were an endangered species, but if they're not extinct now, they're awfully close.
Even as far back as 1978, the first Christopher Reeve Superman film did a joke about phone booths being replaced by open mounts.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
The original Black Christmas: Olivia Hussey plays the final girl heroine; she's pregnant, but she has no intention of keeping it. In fact, she doesn't mince words at all -- she flatly states she intends to have an abortion. She never changes her mind. Her boyfriend who wants her to keep it is depicted as such a creep, he becomes a suspect for being the killer.

No horror movie today would dare to depict a pro-choice heroine being so open about wanting to have an abortion. And even if it did, she'd change her mind before the final reel.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Titanic, I mean seriously, who travels internationally on ocean liners anymore.

Rainman, Kmart doesn't even exist anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 AM
enalzi enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Phone Booth comes to mind- when was the last time anyone actually saw a phone booth in the wild? Even 15 years ago, they were an endangered species, but if they're not extinct now, they're awfully close.
It's been a long time since I've seen it, but doesn't the opening narration pretty much say that's it's one of the last phone booths in New York and is going to be removed soon?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,581
They just showed one recently, "Mission to Moscow (1943)." Walter Huston plays Ambassador Joseph Davies, who comes back after a trip to the USSR, informing the US about just how badly misunderstood Stalin and cronies are, that they are actually good people who want the best for the USSR.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Uosdwis R. Dewoh Uosdwis R. Dewoh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Philadelphia is dated in multiple ways, from its treatment (or portrayal of the relative lack thereof) of AIDS to its portrayal of no lawyer being willing to take the case of a gay man who was fired for getting AIDS.

In short, a modern film would have to work a lot harder to convince the audience that a senior partner at a huge law firm is on the verge of dying from AIDS, and is about to lose his job because of it.
I think it's unfair to call Philadelphia dated. It's a movie that pretty much portraits the attitudes towards homosexuality and AIDS at the time.I think most modern viewers would see it as a history piece of a worse period in gay rights and not scoff at the outdated attitudes.

To truly call a movie "dated" there needs to be an element, technology or attitude, that puts the entire premise into question. In the Sean Connery starred Rising Sun the movie's narrative treats Japanese supremacy over western business as a done deal. It depicts Japanese business acumen as almost supernatural. It makes the whole film ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:16 AM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 32,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Rainman, Kmart doesn't even exist anymore.
Aw c'mon, it may practically be in suspended animation, but it exists.

More seriously, I'd say whether a movie is dated or not depends on whether the dated aspects is a matter of whether it's a one-time "OK, this is how things worked back then" and once you've accepted that, it's easy to enjoy the movie, or whether the dated aspects keep on driving you nuts throughout.

For instance, I don't find Dr. Strangelove or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest dated, but I'm sure Philadelphia would drive me up the wall.

And yes, 2001: A Space Odyssey is terribly dated. Hell, it was already dated when I saw it again in 1983 - it really was a movie that could have only been made in the 1960s.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Smokey and the Bandit, because it is no longer illegal to sell Coors beer east of the Mississippi.

(Saw this one again last Saturday, so it is fresh on my mind.)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 AM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 39,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uosdwis R. Dewoh View Post
I think it's unfair to call Philadelphia dated. It's a movie that pretty much portraits the attitudes towards homosexuality and AIDS at the time.I think most modern viewers would see it as a history piece of a worse period in gay rights and not scoff at the outdated attitudes.
Agreed. You can't fault a film set in the past for consciously showing the attitudes of that time period in a bad light.

OTOH, if a film portrays a time period without question, then it can become dated as attitudes and assumptions change. Gone With The Wind uses some very dated portrayals of slavery.

There's a certain amount of datedness in Cabin in the Sky, though there is debate about the appropriateness of the proposal.
__________________
"East is East and West is West and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 AM
buddha_david buddha_david is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
American Beauty is completely dated throughout, especially Chris Cooper's subplot as the homophobic Marine.

It's unfair to mention Pulp Fiction, but seriously, where can you buy a milkshake as cheap as five dollars these days? And nobody cares about tongue studs anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Iggins Iggins is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Singles for the 90's grunge aesthetic.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 35,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Breakfast at Tiffany's: Mickey Rooney.
That's not even the worst of it. There's also Holly making her living as a professional "date" and Paul's status as a kept man, plus Holly's marriage to Doc at 14.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-01-2017, 11:12 AM
aldiboronti aldiboronti is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Phone Booth comes to mind- when was the last time anyone actually saw a phone booth in the wild? Even 15 years ago, they were an endangered species, but if they're not extinct now, they're awfully close.
Don't think they'll ever be extinct until someone invents a cellphone that doesn't need charging.

As for some of the suggestions here, historical movies like Titanic don't date for the simple reason that they're set in the past, ie when the Cameron movie was made people had already stopped traveling by ocean liner. Titanic could be remade today and it still wouldn't seem dated.

Having said that one way historical movies can date is if the leading players are given the attitudes and sensibilities of the director's own time, and that's admittedly quite common as the modern audience needs to sympathize with the heroes/heroines. Then, of course, if those sensibilities should change the movie will instantly appear dated.

I think movies set in the future date the quickest for obvious reasons, eg 2001 cited above.

Smart Money, 1931, is an example of a dated movie. Nothing wrong with the plot about con artists being conned in return. It's the attitude of the characters, especially the main one played by Edward G Robinson. He likes gambling and every time he places a bet he rubs the head of his black assistant (it was common in those days to rub the hair of a negro for luck). It's hard not to let it distract you from the movie unless you're very used to watching films from that period.)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25 AM
xizor xizor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 4,736
Rambo 3 had Rambo fighting alongside the Mujahideen in Afghanistan, which was so wrong after 9/11 that they had to change the film's dedication.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Casey1505 Casey1505 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
WarGames.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Spit Spit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Big. I watched this again at Christmas, and it is so 80's that it's painful. Still a great movie, but holy shoulderpads, Batman.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:20 PM
peedin peedin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Agreed. You can't fault a film set in the past for consciously showing the attitudes of that time period in a bad light.

Gone With The Wind uses some very dated portrayals of slavery.
Can you explain this to me? How can there be a "dated portrayal of slavery?" I'm not being a bitch, I just don't understand the comment.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 PM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 39,861
The portrayal that the slaves were all happily working in the fields. It was a fairly common image in the 1930s and earlier.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 02-01-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Two Many Cats Two Many Cats is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Because it's an Issue Film about the Issue of how Ordinary People see mental health practitioners, and it doesn't mean they're crazy.

Attitudes have moved on a bit since then.
I think Ordinary People holds up very well. The sense of shame it depicts surrounding seeing a mental health therapist was mostly background stuff, and even today, people tend to see depressed/suicidal people as weak and needing to suck it up.

The movie comes off better if you concentrate on the three people in the family, trying to come to grips with tragedy of loss, and the disintegration of the family itself. It's not a happy ending, uplifting and all that. I wouldn't call Ordinary People dated at all.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Two Many Cats Two Many Cats is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The portrayal that the slaves were all happily working in the fields. It was a fairly common image in the 1930s and earlier.
That's only one scene in the whole four hour movie, for cryin' out loud.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Lasciel Lasciel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Holiday Inn has a whole blackface segment celebrating Abraham Lincoln's birthday, complete with the actual black "mammy" housekeeper singing segments with her own two actually black children/grandchildren. Holy shit that was uncomfortable to watch. Bing Crosby and Marjorie Reynolds and a whole band full of blackfaced white people all in tatterdemalions and fright wigs. Jeeesus.

That's dated.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Lightray Lightray is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
I don't think that's dated. I can see movies being made today with just that gag. It's still fine to be politically incorrect in comedies as long as you're making a gag of it, see Tropic Thunder and innumerable other such movies.
Sixteen Candles also had the hunky jock give his passed-out drunk girlfriend to Anthony Michael Hall, in return for Molly Ringwald's panties.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
That's not even the worst of it. There's also Holly making her living as a professional "date" and Paul's status as a kept man, plus Holly's marriage to Doc at 14.
That's not "dated". That's just a movie about unlikable people. Kept men and professional "dates" still exist.

Holly's a hooker that doesn't go all the way. She only fails to note that fact at the beginning. She's a con woman. But the movie treats her as the "good guy".
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 35,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
That's not "dated". That's just a movie about unlikable people. Kept men and professional "dates" still exist.
Not in the same way. The expectations about sex and sex roles today are very different. If such relationships go on today, they're much more up front and explicit.

Quote:
Holly's a hooker that doesn't go all the way.She only fails to note that fact at the beginning. She's a con woman.
I doubt that today you'd get many well off guys "dating" a hooker that didn't go all the way. Holly would never get away with her shtick.

Quote:
But the movie treats her as the "good guy".
I agree with you there. Despite it's reputation as a classic, the movie always creeped me out. The two main characters were just dishonest exploiters.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Trancephalic Trancephalic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
For me it's any movie with a "heap big" American Indian. Of course that doesn't stop Disney from airing Peter Pan unedited on television.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-01-2017, 06:01 PM
RivkahChaya RivkahChaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Just because there's some plot point that needs explaining because times have changed doesn't make a movie outdated to the point of being unenjoyable-- for example, in The Awful Truth, you could nullify a pending divorce, at least in New York, in the 1930s, and in enough other places in the US for general audiences to "get" what was going on, by "re-consummating" the marriage so to speak. Yes, if a couple who had filed for divorce, but who had not had the divorce finalized had sex again, the divorce was nullified. This is why Irene Dunne and Cary Grant go to such lengths not to be caught alone together, to the point of her once lying and saying that she is his sister. They are a couple with an impending divorce who are already seeing other people.

Now, Irene Dunne does make the situation pretty clear through some dialogue, such as saying that things will be easier when the divorce is finalized.

[Mild Spoiler] Knowing the law is really important at the end, when a clock is counting down to midnight, but nevermind.

Anyway, this is still an hilarious and very personable film to which people in 2017 can easily relate, obsolete law or not. Feelings about interpersonal relationships, and recognition of physical humor or good one-liners has not shifted paradigmatically, so the movie holds up.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is stale, though, because paradigms around mixed-race relationships have shifted light years since the mid-sixties. Not only that, the target audience practically no longer exists. What happens is that white liberals who have always given money and lip-service to equality of race relations, and raised their daughter to be a "color-blind" liberal, and now she has brought home a black man and announced that she wants to marry him, and suddenly they feel all sorts of negative feelings they didn't even know they harbored.

There might be people who have actually been through that, and now their grandchildren are in high school who might find it interesting, and there might be people who are biracial adults who never knew their liberal grandparents struggled with anything, who might have an emotional reaction to it, but all the liberals who were being invited to search their souls in 1967 are mostly no longer with us, or at least don't need a movie to prod them to their real feelings about mixed race relationships.

So that's the difference, IMO, between truly dated movies, and movies that are just old.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Ethilrist Ethilrist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
That's only one scene in the whole four hour movie, for cryin' out loud.
And if somebody released a movie with that scene in it today, he'd be burned at the stake.

I nominate Blazing Saddles, because people are not comfortable with that much use of the n-word in movies today (hence the need for the word "n-word"...).
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM
JohnGalt JohnGalt is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Med city USA
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
And if somebody released a movie with that scene in it today, he'd be burned at the stake.

I nominate Blazing Saddles, because people are not comfortable with that much use of the n-word in movies today (hence the need for the word "n-word"...).
Which n-word? That man is a ni?

I nominate The Carey Treatment, which revolves around which doctor performed an illegal abortion, back when all abortions were illegal (in many states).
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is stale, though, because paradigms around mixed-race relationships have shifted light years since the mid-sixties. Not only that, the target audience practically no longer exists. What happens is that white liberals who have always given money and lip-service to equality of race relations, and raised their daughter to be a "color-blind" liberal, and now she has brought home a black man and announced that she wants to marry him, and suddenly they feel all sorts of negative feelings they didn't even know they harbored.

There might be people who have actually been through that, and now their grandchildren are in high school who might find it interesting, and there might be people who are biracial adults who never knew their liberal grandparents struggled with anything, who might have an emotional reaction to it, but all the liberals who were being invited to search their souls in 1967 are mostly no longer with us, or at least don't need a movie to prod them to their real feelings about mixed race relationships.

So that's the difference, IMO, between truly dated movies, and movies that are just old.
I finally saw this movie within the past couple of years, and my take on it was (spoilered for anyone who hasn't seen it; I didn't know about this aspect of it beforehand)

SPOILER:
if my son or daughter came home from vacation and announced that s/he was going to marry someone s/he had known for 10 days, I'd be mighty upset too.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
I nominate Blazing Saddles, because people are not comfortable with that much use of the n-word in movies today (hence the need for the word "n-word"...).
Have you seen "42"? The movie would probably have been rated G were it not for this.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Richard John Marcej Richard John Marcej is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
Big. I watched this again at Christmas, and it is so 80's that it's painful. Still a great movie, but holy shoulderpads, Batman.
I wouldn't say that the clothes/fashion makes it dated though.

If you made a film that takes place in the 1920's wouldn't you have the characters wearing the fashions of the 1920's?

Couldn't Big simply be a movie that takes place in the 1980's? (I was working in the toy industry when the film came out and while it wasn't exactly a documentary, there were many similarities to the real thing).
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-01-2017, 09:29 PM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Don't think they'll ever be extinct until someone invents a cellphone that doesn't need charging.
I can't tell you where a payphone is anymore, much less an actual phone booth. They're up there with coelacanths as far as things that are still alive, but rarely seen.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 19,922
Most of these examples don't actually make the movie dated. If the movie is set in the 1980s, and the people dress in 80s styles and speak in 80s slang and exhibit 80s social attitudes, that doesn't make it dated. Same if it's set in the 30s, and the people dress in 30s styles and so on.

You wouldn't call a movie set in WWII dated because the US army doesn't have ICMBs and Abrams tanks and M-16 rifles and F-15 fighters, right? You'd expect characters who are supposed to be fighting WWII to use the weapons actually used in WWII. And if those characters have the sorts of social attitudes that real people did in the 1940s, that doesn't make the movie dated either.

What makes a movie dated is when the characters don't actually act realistically for the time the movie is set in. So a movie made in the 1950s and set in the old west, but the characters act like 1950s suburbanites is dated. If the movie was made in the 1950s and set in the old west and the characters believably act like people from the old west, then it isn't dated, even though the characters don't act like people from 2017. And a movie made in the 50s that depicts people wearing 50s hairstyles and acting like people from the 1950s is not dated either.

But that movie can be dated when it portrays those contemporary people in ways that people didn't actually act. Married couples never slept in separate twin beds in the 50s, that was just something they did for TV. So a show made in the 1950s that is set in the 1950s and shows a married couple sleeping in separate twin beds is dated, because that never actually existed.

Or take another example, "Cool as Ice". Yeah, it was made in 1991, and portrays people living in 1991. And it has the very 90s Vanilla Ice. And he's supposed to be cool, with his 90s fashion, and 90s white rap music, and 90s in your face attitude. Except he's not cool. And the movie is extremely dated, because of that. But you could make a movie about a guy in the 90s who is in to 90s fashion and 90s white rap and 90s attitude, and it wouldn't be dated, if you portrayed this 90s loser douche realistically.

To give an example, American Graffiti. It's about 50s kids being very 50s with their 50s music and 50s fashion and 50s attitudes. But it's not dated, even though it's all about the 50s, and kids today aren't anything like those kids.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-02-2017, 12:33 AM
buddha_david buddha_david is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
To give an example, American Graffiti. It's about 50s kids being very 50s with their 50s music and 50s fashion and 50s attitudes. But it's not dated, even though it's all about the 50s, and kids today aren't anything like those kids.
Nitpick: American Graffiti was set in 1962.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-02-2017, 02:32 AM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 35,765
How about Grease? Is Rizzo the only girl who's not a virgin, or who has a negative reputation for not being one?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-02-2017, 02:53 AM
Alessan Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
I wouldn't say that the clothes/fashion makes it dated though.
No, that would be the statutory rape.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.