The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-02-2017, 11:06 AM

Another vote for the Chillito. Easiest thing to bring back, one would think.

I vote for real fries at Arby's. They just have curly fries, which are an abomination, and some other non-fry side. real fries, people!

Way back in the 80s, Del Taco had this great breakfast combo with eggs, bacon, hash browns, and biscuits and gravy. It was a great combo. Probably was a limited time thing, and I got there at the right time.

And the Subway V-cut (vut?) has been gone a long time.
Advertisements  
Old 02-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Arthur Treacher's is not quite dead yet---ran into one on a 95S rest stop in NJ.
I remember Arthur Treacher's (and before that, H. Salt Esq.) fish and chips when I was growing up in the St Louis area in the 70s. Oh man that was some good stuff! It's been a long time since I've seen a fish and chips place other than Long John Silver's, which I refuse to go to.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

I vote for real fries at Arby's. They just have curly fries, which are an abomination, and some other non-fry side. real fries, people!
This. I've boycotted Arby's ever since they switched to curly fries. Their regular fries were quite good - why switch to an Abomination Unto Nuggan like curly fries?

Old school Taco Bell employees still will make you an enchirito is you ask and they aren't slammed, but having it back on the menu would be nice.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Under_Duck View Post
No, the Bell Burger. I dream of those at night.
Was it ever called that? I vaguely remember seeing "Bellburger" on the menu a long time ago, but more recently I remember it as "Bell Beefer."

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
This. I've boycotted Arby's ever since they switched to curly fries. Their regular fries were quite good - why switch to an Abomination Unto Nuggan like curly fries?
Agreed, although the Arby's near my office closed; it's now owned by the owners of a nearby deli, and they serve deli-style roast beef (complete with too much fat).

Here's an old school one; the McDonald's Cherry Pie.

Also, the Togo's barbecue beef sandwich. While they're at it, they, along with Quizno's and Subway, can go back to their previous marinara sauce recipe for their meatball sub.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I don't know if my adult self would like them or not, but as a kid, my parents would occasionally take me to a McDonald's in the small mill town of Bucksport, Maine, which was the only McDonald's around that served pizza.

So, with my memory clouded by nostalgia, I'm going to say McPizza should return to us.
I really enjoyed the McPizza. It lasted longer in Canada than in the US and was a nice change from the regular burger. It wasn't the best pizza ever but it was the best pizza for the speed/price point.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 PM

I don't know what it was called, but it was around 2000/2001 Taco Bell had a burrito that was JUST meat....like a butt load of their ground beef and some chopped onions and I'm assuming some sauce but omg it was good.

Oh and the little boxes of cookies that McDonalds used to sell. So many memories around those lol
Old 02-02-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post

And it's not a menu item, but McDonald's fries cooked in beef tallow again would be heavenly.
Yes!

KFC- the real deal original gravy. The KFC ribs.

Last edited by DrDeth; 02-02-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
I don't know what it was called, but it was around 2000/2001 Taco Bell had a burrito that was JUST meat....like a butt load of their ground beef and some chopped onions and I'm assuming some sauce but omg it was good.
l
Yes, and cheese.

They also had a chili thing, which was cheap, just chili and cheese.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:58 PM

I want two things:

McDonald's Cherry Pies (the old kind that were deep fried and the filling was too damn hot).

Carl's Jr.'s* old steak sandwich, made with a flaked and formed steak patty shaped to go on a long bun (similar to the BK Original Chicken Sandwich). It was served with "Au Jus"[sic]**, two onion rings and possibly pickles, though it's possible I added those myself. I would add mayo and scarfed them down regularly in the early '80s.

I do also fondly recall Carl's Jr.'s brief flirtation in the mid-80s with short-order restaurant style meals. Most of them were just things they already had (using the steak patties as "steak", for example), but they also served rainbow trout, which had been run through the griller. Happy times; trout for $4.

* I am shocked no one has said anything from CJ's yet...

** They actually called the beef gravy "Au Jus". You would get a box that said it contained "Au Jus". I used to ask for the "with juice" and get funny looks...
Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
** They actually called the beef gravy "Au Jus".
Lots of places (and people), in my experience, do, or "au jus gravy" (or "au jus sauce" or "au jus mix.")
Old 02-02-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips_Obsession View Post
Those, as well as Rodeo cheeseburgers, are still available at our local Burger Kings...
I've noticed they're hit or miss.

Sometimes a BK will have them, but most oftentimes they do not.

Thankfully I have a "BK Lounge" near me that has a bunch of "premium toppings" you can add to your sammitch for free, bbq sauce and onion rings being two of them.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:53 PM

after the miserable experience we had with MCD's last night,,,,, id say warm edible food but I digress

I miss the colossus ..... after the meat scandal that actually wasn't their fault jacks tried a whole bunch of crazy stuff to get customers back

What the colossus was take a jumbo jack and stack it on a ultimate cheese burger throw on bacon and I could get them with mushrooms ...... apparently they were too popular to the point they lost money and had to discontinue them and switched to the ultimate cheeseburger.....
Old 02-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
** They actually called the beef gravy "Au Jus". You would get a box that said it contained "Au Jus". I used to ask for the "with juice" and get funny looks...
Au Jus is not just beef drippings or juices. Flour and seasonings are usually added.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Wendy's Salad Bar.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:04 PM

subways original bbq sandwhich .... I don't know what kind of meat it was but it was just called "barbecue" also they had carne asada that was perfect but the lazy bastards here woul;d always tel me it was out because it had a couple of extra steps to make it

ID have to have the manager make it for me ....... someone blew a promotion when they did that and I called the manager later and inquired and I think he slowly realized why it wasn't selling in a highly Hispanic part of town .........
Old 02-02-2017, 04:06 PM

i miss the wendys all you can eat superbar also because the manager would get crap for food waste so hed only charge for the first 3 or so people who got it but didn't mind sharing if your friends bought a burger ... I alsos miss the great biggie frostys ........ when they were having the huge drink war i had to ask but they would fill a great biggie cup (440z) to the top with frosty
thing cost 4.50 back then but man it took hours to finish that thing

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-02-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Old 02-02-2017, 04:29 PM

Most of mine have already been mentioned: Arch Deluxe, Chicken Littles, and BK Rodeo. In addition, a couple years ago McD trialed a chorizo breakfast burrito that I would like to see come back.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:41 PM

McDonald's Patty Melts. One of the few things I enjoyed living in Wisconsin.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 PM

Carl's Jr Old Time Star: cheese, onions, pickles, ketchup and mustard
KFC: Real 11 herbs and spices on their chicken and the real gravy
Old 02-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Au Jus is not just beef drippings or juices. Flour and seasonings are usually added.
I think you miss the point.

Au jus is French for "with juice." Thus, if you are eating beef "au jus", you're eating beef that is being served with beef juice (a light gravy, if you will).

So saying that there is a thing called "au jus" is saying that you don't understand French.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:00 PM

Oh yeah, another Taco Hell one. The steak soft taco (with lime sauce). It was pretty nice. Then they dropped the lime, and I dropped the taco.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:48 PM

I was going to say Burger King's Yumbo. But they did and it sucked.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
Oh and the little boxes of cookies that McDonalds used to sell. So many memories around those lol
Yeah, the McD's boxed chocolate chip cookies were tasty.

I also miss Burger King's "Burger Buddies" (mini cheeseburgers--I think you got 4 in a pack).
Old 02-03-2017, 09:17 AM

Shamrock shakes. In the waxed paper cups, no whipped cream, no cherry, no "McCafe" brand markup. I shouldn't have to opt out of toppings for a milkshake.

Last edited by Casey1505; 02-03-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM

I also miss the McDonald's pizza. About the same size as Pizza Hut's Personal Pan Pizza. It featured a thinner crust (but not really a thin crust pizza) dusted with cornmeal on the bottom. There were excellent.

The McDonald's Pizza was not the McPizza, which was a rolled dough with filling, basically a calzone.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65467...cdonalds-pizza

Dennis
Old 02-03-2017, 10:56 AM

Wendy's Monterey Ranch Chicken Sandwich.

Every thing from Zantigos. So superior to Taco Bell.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
...KFC: Real 11 herbs and spices on their chicken and the real gravy
God, wouldn't that be a dream come true. I hated their chicken when I was a little boy, because it burned my mouth. But man, did I start to appreciate it when I hit about 7 years old.

The good news is that you can buy 99-X, which is supposedly the recipe that the Colonel used after he sold his soul to KFC (He was not happy with them). I am not sure it is real, but it does make tasty chicken! Here is the Wiki recipe, and I have to say that after making it, it is pretty close to 99-X.

If you are lucky enough to live near a Lee's Chicken restaurant, they are owned by the Colonel's nephew, and their spicy chicken taste really close to orginal recipe. The potato wedges are awesome as well.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Arby's had a turkey sub with the best sauce. It was some type of Creamy Italian or a thin Caesar dressing. I don't need the sub but bring back the sauce. It was amazing. Sadly it was killed by those dry, nasty market fresh sandwiches they have. Nobody wants honey wheat bread for fast food.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
God, wouldn't that be a dream come true. I hated their chicken when I was a little boy, because it burned my mouth. But man, did I start to appreciate it when I hit about 7 years old.

If you are lucky enough to live near a Lee's Chicken restaurant, they are owned by the Colonel's nephew, and their spicy chicken taste really close to orginal recipe. The potato wedges are awesome as well.
But does the gravy measure up the the original?
Old 02-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Jack-in-the-Box: Shrimp in a Basket, and a Bonus Jack extra Secret Sauce.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapSett View Post
Hardee's had fried chicken back in the late 80's-early 90's, and it was GOOD!I wish they still had it.
That chicken was the same as Roy Rogers and yeah it was great. Better than KFC.

I miss McDonald's Angus burgers. They were yummy.

Wendy's had something called the Big Bacon Classic. That was my go to burger there until they got rid of it.

I loved Taco Bell burritos before they started using rice and beans as filler. Used to be all chicken.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Today's fast food is usually better than in the past -- fries from KFC used to be horrible, but I do miss the use of tallow when frying fries.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
But does the gravy measure up the the original?
At Lee's? I am not a big gravy guy, but it tastes pretty good. Friends of mine that are into gravy get it for their Thanksgiving, if that is any indication.

Lee's chicken is the best. There is only one in the state of Virginia. We used to live about 10 blocks away, and moved. It was the hardest part of moving. (I'm a southern boy, and love my fried chicken- They catered my wedding!)

I love going to pick up the rent check now though, because I get to pick some up once per month.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:49 PM

Extra-tasty Crispy from KFC, and their onion nuggets, but I can't eat KFC anymore anyway, so it would be wasted on me.

Burger King Burger Buddies, or Bundles? I can't remember, but they were a couple of sliders.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Arby's triple-cheese melt subs from the mid to late 90's. They had a Parmesan sauce that was amazing!

Or the cheddar bites from Sonic. Just little fried nuggets of cheese.

Taco Bueno also had a triple cheese burrito that was REALLY hit-or-miss. When it was bad, you couldn't finish the thing, but when it was good, it was divine!

See a pattern here?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I was going to say Burger King's Yumbo. But they did and it sucked.
Me, too. Wow was that a big disappointment.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
Extra-tasty Crispy from KFC, and their onion nuggets, but I can't eat KFC anymore anyway, so it would be wasted on me.
)
why not? For me, it makes me feel sick, it's the grease. They have cheaped out on cooking oil.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:11 AM

Didn't KFC (or was it Popeye's or Churches?) used to have something called "sweet heat boneless chicken"?
They were like nuggets of real chicken that were breaded, fried, and then dunked while still hot into a pot of simmering sweet heat sauce. Then they were dropped into the box still dripping with sauce.

They were Addictive!

Last edited by Count Blucher; 02-04-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Old 02-04-2017, 12:01 PM

Coda Cola that has coca and cola on its list of ingredients.

A&W root beer, in mugs at the car-hop window, had amazing smooth foam on top.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-04-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
after the miserable experience we had with MCD's last night,,,,, id say warm edible food but I digress
I asked my wife and she said "flavor".

Wendy's baked potato bar.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:10 AM

-Those little packets of "Cajun Sparkle" that Popeye's used to have available for their Dirty Rice and Red Beans 'n Rice. Really perked up the flavors.
-The apple-y/crumb-y/cheese-y dessert cup from Roy Rogers, quite tasty and disappeared far too soon.
-And of course, the Holy Grail of fast foods, the original Roy Rogers Double-R burger. The one available today, that is if you can even find a RR, are a pale shadow of the original's beefy/ smokey/hammy goodness.
-Sign me up for an Arthur Treacher's road trip anytime.

Now for the opposite of the OP's thread:
-I can't even remember which fast food chain it was, but one of 'em was guilty of a mortal sin against the French fry. They had an alternate "fry" that was actually extruded mashed potatoes that plopped right down into the fryer, from some rolling gantry crane-type setup. Horrible, grease-sodden, tasteless and couldn't keep their shape in order to be picked up. Glad those things died a quick and un-lamented death.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:49 AM

The very first time KFC introduced roasted chicken it was actually really good. They reintroduced it again later and it wasn't as good but that first time it was worth getting instead of fried sometimes.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips_Obsession View Post
I loved the Arby-Q - kinda like a manwich from arby's roast beef. Loved 'em...
Those were fantastic. Every once in a while Arby's would bring them back as a limited time promotion and I would make myself sick eating so many of them. Haven't seen them in years.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltguy View Post
-Those little packets of "Cajun Sparkle" that Popeye's used to have available for their Dirty Rice and Red Beans 'n Rice. Really perked up the flavors.
Some coworkers got Popeye's last week and they left some packets of Cajun Sparkle in the breakroom. I sprinkled an avocado with some, not too shabby. Anyway, it's still available as of a couple days ago.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, and cheese.

They also had a chili thing, which was cheap, just chili and cheese.
That was called, unsurprisingly, the Chili Cheese Burrito, and prior to that, the Chilito. 79 cents each in my college days, it was the staple of my diet.

Last edited by August West; 02-07-2017 at 09:28 AM..
Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes!

KFC- the real deal original gravy. The KFC ribs.
Hopefully, they weren't chicken ribs.

When did they have these? I have no memory of them.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltguy View Post
-
Now for the opposite of the OP's thread:
-I can't even remember which fast food chain it was, but one of 'em was guilty of a mortal sin against the French fry. They had an alternate "fry" that was actually extruded mashed potatoes that plopped right down into the fryer, from some rolling gantry crane-type setup. Horrible, grease-sodden, tasteless and couldn't keep their shape in order to be picked up. Glad those things died a quick and un-lamented death.
I don't know which fast food chain had these, but when I was an undergrad the campus dining hall had such fries made from potato mush. They were called "Frispos", and they were awful.

According to a quick internet search, Carl's Jr. used to serve FRispos, so that;'s probably the chain you had in mind (I grew up on the East Coast. We didn't have Carl's Jr.s, which is why I know them from Campus Dining Service)

http://www.junkfoodblog.com/2008/01/...-jr-fries.html

https://www.yelp.com/topic/san-franc...ies-or-frispos
Old 02-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
Those were fantastic. Every once in a while Arby's would bring them back as a limited time promotion and I would make myself sick eating so many of them. Haven't seen them in years.
The Arby-Q would be the one thing that would get me to enter an Arby's again. I loved that sandwich. I'd even force down their lousy curly fries to have a couple of Arby-Qs again.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Hopefully, they weren't chicken ribs.

When did they have these? I have no memory of them.
1970's

http://www.inthe70s.com/food/kentuck...ensribs0.shtml

https://www.facebook.com/KfcSpareRibs/

Last edited by DrDeth; 02-07-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The Arby-Q would be the one thing that would get me to enter an Arby's again. I loved that sandwich. I'd even force down their lousy curly fries to have a couple of Arby-Qs again.
Not even a Jamocha shake?

I was working there when the Arby-Q was introduced. Took a lot of baby-sitting to keep it from cooling off or drying out/burning during the day.