The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-07-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
i miss the wendys all you can eat superbar also because the manager would get crap for food waste so hed only charge for the first 3 or so people who got it but didn't mind sharing if your friends bought a burger ...
That's exactly what I came in here to mention. I used to order the "Superbar" at least once a week; as I recall it had tacos and pasta in addition to the standard salad items.

I'm not surprised it was discontinued. The waste involved must have been mind-boggling.
Advertisements  
Old 02-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I don't know which fast food chain had these, but when I was an undergrad the campus dining hall had such fries made from potato mush. They were called "Frispos", and they were awful.

According to a quick internet search, Carl's Jr. used to serve FRispos, so that;'s probably the chain you had in mind (I grew up on the East Coast. We didn't have Carl's Jr.s, which is why I know them from Campus Dining Service)

http://www.junkfoodblog.com/2008/01/...-jr-fries.html

https://www.yelp.com/topic/san-franc...ies-or-frispos
Frispos were awesome.

For about two minutes. After that, well, let's just say that "crisp" was not a word anyone used in relation to them.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm the only one who misses McDonald's chicken biscuit?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I'm the only one who misses McDonald's chicken biscuit?
I was going to say, no, there was someone at the beginning of the thread -- but that was you. I enjoyed it enough, but I prefer their regular sandwich version of the country chicken, or whatever they called it (which essentially was just their version of Chick Fil A's sandwich.) We have Chick Fil A here now, so that scratches my itch (their politics aside.)
Old 02-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The Arby-Q would be the one thing that would get me to enter an Arby's again. I loved that sandwich. I'd even force down their lousy curly fries to have a couple of Arby-Qs again.
I like their jamocha shakes and their potato cakes.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

KFC's original gravy, before they changed it to library paste in the early 70's. I agree with The Colonel who, after tasting the new corporate recipe gravy, said "How do you serve this God-damned slop? With a straw?"
Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Forty years ago, Carl's Junior used to have really good chili dogs.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
Arby's triple-cheese melt subs from the mid to late 90's. They had a Parmesan sauce that was amazing!
Oh hell yes, this. A thousand times this.

Let me add another thing that haunts my dreams. An item that others tell me I imagined. The McDonald's Steak, Egg and Cheese Bagel. I would die happy if I could have just one more.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:56 PM

Two items: (a) McD's original Shamrock Shake of yesteryear. Today's does not seem as minty. And (b): McD's Banana Shake. Does anyone remember these? Both would have to be prepared per the original recipe.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
Oh hell yes, this. A thousand times this.

Let me add another thing that haunts my dreams. An item that others tell me I imagined. The McDonald's Steak, Egg and Cheese Bagel. I would die happy if I could have just one more.
Not imaginary...and not discontinued apparently.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:41 PM

Taco Bell Cinnamon Crispas (deep-fried flour tortilla triangles dusted with cinnamon sugar)
Red Lobster's Hush Puppies
Red Lobster's Langostinos and Shrimp
Old 02-08-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The Arby-Q would be the one thing that would get me to enter an Arby's again. I loved that sandwich. I'd even force down their lousy curly fries to have a couple of Arby-Qs again.
I go for the potato cakes.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I loved the Jack In The Box Colossus Burger. Half pound of beef, three different kinds of cheese, and eight strips of bacon-made the so-called "Baconator" look like 7-11 microwave burger in comparison.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
McDonald's chicken biscuit. That chicken and that biscuit are hands down the best things that McDonald's had ever sold.
literally just came in from McDonald's and they had the McChicken biscuit back on the menu. Also a Chicken McGriddle.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Really? I hope it's back hereabouts. This thread is magic then
Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Good Taco Bell tacos? Really, what I'd most like is to bring back an entire chain. When I was younger, I really liked Roy Roger's roast beef sandwiches. The sandwiches were really good (real roast beef, done rare and cut on one of those slicing machine thingies), the sauce was good, the fries were good and they served coke which was always my preference. If I could bring back anything, it would be that.

What I REALLY want, though, is to bring back the days when fast food tasted good. To me, all of the fast food today is a pale shadow. I realize it's because the fast food of old was really, really bad for you. But then, when I was a kid going to a fast food place was a treat, not something you ate every day. You MAYBE at at a McDonald's or KFC or whatever a couple times a year. At most, maybe once every other month (that's when my family got 'rich').
Old 02-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
the chilito/chili-cheese burrito from Toxic Hell. crap, but a guilty pleasure.
Damn Right. Chili Cheese Burrito from Taco Bell was the bomb! (in more ways than one!)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Enchirito!

I hear rumors its on "the secret menu", but haven't ever tried to order one.
I order those every time I go to Taco Bell. They always serve them.

Slee

Last edited by sleestak; 02-08-2017 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: too much work....
Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
Damn Right. Chili Cheese Burrito from Taco Bell was the bomb! (in more ways than one!)
Thems were a lot good.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I love enchiritos and tostadas at Taco Bell. They never seem to both be available at the same time.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
What I REALLY want, though, is to bring back the days when fast food tasted good. To me, all of the fast food today is a pale shadow. I realize it's because the fast food of old was really, really bad for you.
Maybe it depends on how old you are, but I'm 41, and fast food tastes pretty much exactly as it did when I was a kid. It's also possible that what changed is your tastes. Sure, there were some changes like beef tallow for the fries but, otherwise, McD's still has that signature McD's tastes, as does BK. Wendy's, though, perhaps that worsened, or my memories of it are fonder than they should be.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Some Taco Bells still have the chili cheese burrito - I believe it's up to the franchise operator whether they want to carry it or not.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:56 PM

Sonic used to have a steak sandwich on a large burger bun. Then they started putting in on Texas Toast and finally they got rid of it altogether. Occasionally, they'd have it as a "special of the month," but they quit doing even that! So I'd bring back that original, on a *bun,* steak sandwich.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

For awhile McDonald's had Johnsonville Brats on their menu. It's a Wisconsin brand, so maybe this was a upper Midwest thing. They were pretty darn good and a nice variation to their regular items. Now when I want a good brat I head to the local gas station!
Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I miss when McDonalds used to offer actual honey for their McNuggets.
I remember this. I think Jimmy Carter was president.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
Yes, I liked that one.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
I remember this. I think Jimmy Carter was president.
McNuggets were introduced in 1983, so you're one president off. My recollection is that the pure honey was available at least through the late 80s, early 90s. It may be a franchise-by-franchise thing. This reddit post from last year suggests that at least some stores still have it.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Maybe it depends on how old you are, but I'm 41, and fast food tastes pretty much exactly as it did when I was a kid. It's also possible that what changed is your tastes. Sure, there were some changes like beef tallow for the fries but, otherwise, McD's still has that signature McD's tastes, as does BK. Wendy's, though, perhaps that worsened, or my memories of it are fonder than they should be.
Wendy's has those shitty bread and butter pickles.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Wendy's has those shitty bread and butter pickles.
Yeah, I'm all about dill pickles, but that's not something I really noticed, at least not consciously. I enjoyed the Dave's Big Classic back in the day, but nothing they have today I'm really fond of. When I eat there, I end up getting the spicy chicken sandwich, which is reasonable.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Already mentioned once - but the McDonald's fried apple pies. Especially if they were just out of the fryer, and you had to nibble at them because the apple filling was surface of the sun hot.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wendy's, though, perhaps that worsened, or my memories of it are fonder than they should be.
My beloved Wendy's chili is as great as ever.

"Raw onions, no cheese, no crackers, extra hot sauce, please."
Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
My beloved Wendy's chili is as great as ever.

"Raw onions, no cheese, no crackers, extra hot sauce, please."
Hmm...I totally forgot they have chili. Next time I find myself there, I might have to go for that, and I do like fast food chili from time to time.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:21 PM

As far as things mentioned in this thread, Wendy's brought back the taco salad and promoted it heavily. Might just be in Ohio, idk. My daughter gets honey every time we go to McDonalds.

As far as Arby's and their regular fries go, to me they more than make up for it by being basically the only common fast food place with non-fries side options. Don't like curly fries? They have potato cakes (a staple of my childhood breakfasts, more on that later), mozzarella sticks, jalapeno bites, onion rings. It's much worse to me when a fast food place only has "regular" fries and they completely suck, like school cafeteria fries, Oreida frozen fries you can heat up at home, and those tasteless stringy fries.

So, despite my love of Arbys' side options, most of the foods I would like to bring back are from Arbys:

1. Arbys breakfast - they might have it somewhere, but I don't know. My hometown Arbys had it and one of the memories of my childhood was getting a ham,egg, and cheese croissant and potato cakes. My mom told me they tore down the Arbys and built a new one. The new one doesn't have breakfast. I doubt she'll go there anymore.

2. Other Arbys sides - onion petals, loaded potato bites, loaded baked potato. When I was a college student I would often get the loaded potato for lunch, it was a meal in itself and cost $1.87

3. Arby's thicker milkshakes/"real" ice cream bar type setup. When I was a teenager one of the Arby's in town had a separate shake/ice cream section you could walk up to and they had real thick milkshakes. I used to get this thing called a Chocolate Peanut Butter Concrete. It was a shake, almost as thick as just getting a bowl of ice cream. And their watery shakes were cheap at least. They had a Shake of the Month for 39 cents, and the price rose gradually - 49,59,69,79 cents until the stopped.

4. Regular specialty burgers at most of the fast food chains (usually excluding Mcdonalds, whose extent of creativity is making a Big Mac bigger or smaller). It seemed like almost every month or so Burger King, Wendys, Arbys, Steak n Shake, etc would have a new limited time sandwich and they would often all hit the same theme (peppercorn bacon, ghost peppers, ranch so and so, whatever). Lately every time I go by one they have the same retreads. Steak n Shake has been promoting a bland cheddar burger for months, Wendys is featuring an Asiago chicken sandwich that's been on the regular menu for years. Arbys is pushing unremarkable fish sandwiches. A lot of them are promoting weird cheap meals that include burgers and chicken nuggets. I like pulling up to these places and seeing "Try our limited time Habenero Ranch Peppercorn Bacon Gruyere Crispy Chicken with Artisan Bun," Because in general there's almost nothing on the main fastfood lunch/dinner entree menus that I get excited about. If I endup going there, might as well pick a random number.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 02-09-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Wendy's chicken nuggets aren't bad, but I miss the actual chicken strips they had about 10 years ago. I guess they got rid of them with a lot of the other Wendy's chicken items folks have mentioned in this thread.

I also wish they'd go back to their old style (pre sea-salt/natural cut) fries.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 02-09-2017 at 01:30 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 PM

I consider Horn & Hardart old school fast food. First, I'd bring back the automat, then bring back their mac & cheese, baked beans and coffee.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby or Not Tibby View Post
I consider Horn & Hardart old school fast food. First, I'd bring back the automat, then bring back their mac & cheese, baked beans and coffee.
They have something very like a automat in the Netherlands and Spain. and of course the Japanese have their own weird version.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Huh. You know, I've been to Superdawg, of course, but I've never noticed the onion chips on the menu. How 'bout that?
Love those things.

And now I'm craving a whoopskidawg.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby or Not Tibby View Post
Obligatory link to the famous Concerto for Horn & Hardart, S. 27, by P. D. Q. Bach.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

The Bar-Be-Cutie's Beef Tips & Gravy on a bed of White Rice, smothered in their own Hot Sauce.
Spicy.
Makes yer lips tingle.

Last edited by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor; 02-09-2017 at 06:27 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 PM

Not exactly fast food, but I seriously miss Pizza Hut's priazzo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFDl9jiLJpo
Old 02-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Whoa! Turns out the franchisees can put it on the menu if they want. I wonder if I actually care enough to hassle my local McD?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yep we have them here in the crossroads.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
KFC's original gravy, before they changed it to library paste in the early 70's. I agree with The Colonel who, after tasting the new corporate recipe gravy, said "How do you serve this God-damned slop? With a straw?"
According to William Poundston'e book Big Secrets, the Colonel said of the original gravy that "it was so good you could throw away the chicken and just eat the gravy". Good to see he has corroboration. I was under the impression that the original gravy recipe didn't survive franchisation, but your post indicates that it apparently did. Sorry I never got a chance to taste it.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
According to William Poundston'e book Big Secrets, the Colonel said of the original gravy that "it was so good you could throw away the chicken and just eat the gravy". Good to see he has corroboration. I was under the impression that the original gravy recipe didn't survive franchisation, but your post indicates that it apparently did. Sorry I never got a chance to taste it.
It was delicious!! And it's true, a visit to KFC was worth it just for the gravy on potatoes and biscuits.

Now I'll indulge in KFC a couple times a year for their original recipe coating, but otherwise, meh.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
It was delicious!! And it's true, a visit to KFC was worth it just for the gravy on potatoes and biscuits.

Now I'll indulge in KFC a couple times a year for their original recipe coating, but otherwise, meh.
And the biscuits were larger and flakier, too. Damn fine biscuits and gravy back then.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Already mentioned once - but the McDonald's fried apple pies. Especially if they were just out of the fryer, and you had to nibble at them because the apple filling was surface of the sun hot.
I don't know how hot the baked ones are, but perhaps the temperature was an issue. Especially after the coffee lawsuit.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to bring back a whole damned franchise: Bill Knapp's. Popular in the Midwest, I loved their biscuits and honey, their au gratin potatoes, their soups and desserts, and just their overall emphasis on making really good comfort food. They died out in 2002 after tossing all their original recipes in an attempt to capture a younger demographic.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:08 PM

Goodness, not one vote for the McRib?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I'd like to bring back a whole damned franchise: Bill Knapp's. Popular in the Midwest, I loved their biscuits and honey, their au gratin potatoes, their soups and desserts, and just their overall emphasis on making really good comfort food. They died out in 2002 after tossing all their original recipes in an attempt to capture a younger demographic.
One might argue that their demise wasn't due to trying to accommodate a younger demographic, but that their traditional demographic was already unprofitable as it way dying out. That is, if you're already successful, why tinker with success? The desire to attract others was certainly an expression of their declining market share.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoC View Post
Goodness, not one vote for the McRib?
Well, it is the McRib. It is only good because it comes around once a year or so.