The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Apparently, onion nuggets used to a thing at McDonald's. I love onions, so I would also be up for bringing that back just to see what the heck these things were like.
They couldn't compete with white castles onion chips.
You like onions? You will love those then
Advertisements  
Old 02-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisshund View Post
They couldn't compete with white castles onion chips.
You like onions? You will love those then
I love White Castle and never noticed they even had onion chips. My order there is usually so reflexive (4 jalapeno cheeseburgers and maybe a diet coke) that I haven't bothered looking at the menu in ages. I'll check it out next time.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-11-2017 at 09:51 AM..
Old 02-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

McDonald's chicken sandwiches, the Ranch BLT in particular. Haven't been to one since those were discontinued.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Far from individual items, there are entire chains that I wish had a location nearby — Waffle House, White Castle, Steak & Shake, Skyline Chili, Marion's Piazza, .... I'll end this tangent
Old 02-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Far from individual items, there are entire chains that I wish had a location nearby Waffle House, White Castle, Steak & Shake, Skyline Chili, Marion's Piazza, .... I'll end this tangent
I'd be so fat if we had an In N Out anywhere near me. Anyhow, I was surprised the other day when I saw Skyline Chili in my local grocer's freezer. I haven't bought it (I've had the real thing in Cincinnati), but I didn't realize they had a frozen version of it. We have plenty of White Castles here, but the frozen product actually is not too far from the real thing.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd be so fat if we had an In N Out anywhere near me. Anyhow, I was surprised the other day when I saw Skyline Chili in my local grocer's freezer. I haven't bought it (I've had the real thing in Cincinnati), but I didn't realize they had a frozen version of it. We have plenty of White Castles here, but the frozen product actually is not too far from the real thing.
Actually, I think I've had Skyline both canned and frozen. Canned is better. I do occasionally get frozen White Castles, but there's nothing like the real experience.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I love White Castle and never noticed they even had onion chips. My order there is usually so reflexive (4 jalapeno cheeseburgers and maybe a diet coke) that I haven't bothered looking at the menu in ages. I'll check it out next time.
2 Dbl Cheese with extra pickles
Sack of onion chips
And a sack of chicken rings for later
Old 02-11-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:

being from Cincinnati, i have to say you may be disappointed in the frozen skyline
Not sure why but is just not quite the same, it's kind of bland.

I can give you a recipe for making it yourself though, it will be about 98% correct
Not 100% because they wont say the exact amounts of the spices they put in their mix.
But ive got it pretty darned close.

I'd be in heaven if magically there appeared a LaRossa's, Friches Bigboy, Skyline, and a White Castle on my street, i would never leave, if Cincinnati ever becomes tropical, i may move back.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisshund View Post
being from Cincinnati, i have to say you may be disappointed in the frozen skyline
Not sure why but is just not quite the same, it's kind of bland.

I can give you a recipe for making it yourself though, it will be about 98% correct
Not 100% because they wont say the exact amounts of the spices they put in their mix.
But ive got it pretty darned close.

I'd be in heaven if magically there appeared a LaRossa's, Friches Bigboy, Skyline, and a White Castle on my street, i would never leave, if Cincinnati ever becomes tropical, i may move back.
Sure, bring on the recipe! I remember I made one that came close right after I came back from my Cincinnati trip, but I can't remember what recipe I used, and I probably tweaked it a little as my memory of Skyline chili was very fresh at the time. Now, unfortunately, I don't really have a strong reference point. I do remember a few things: do not brown the meat; it's a lot soupier than what you think of as a chili, almost approaching a spaghetti sauce; and, of course, the spicing which had your usual cumin and cayenne, but also cinnamon and a hint of either allspice or cloves or both.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Actually, I think I've had Skyline both canned and frozen. Canned is better. I do occasionally get frozen White Castles, but there's nothing like the real experience.
Sure, it's not exactly the real deal White Castles, but, to me at any rate, it's surprisingly close for a frozen fast food hamburger. Of course, it helps that WC's are basically steamed burgers, so preparing them in the microwave with the plastic wrap on them works out pretty well. The main issue I have is sometimes the bottom of the bun goes from being steamy and fluffy to crunchy in the microwave. But they taste and smell like WC burgers, to me at any rate.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:21 PM

When I was in the USAF stationed near Topeka, Kansas in the early-1970's, McDonald's had the "Tripple Ripple" ice cream cone I kinda' liked.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure, it's not exactly the real deal White Castles, but, to me at any rate, it's surprisingly close for a frozen fast food hamburger. Of course, it helps that WC's are basically steamed burgers, so preparing them in the microwave with the plastic wrap on them works out pretty well. The main issue I have is sometimes the bottom of the bun goes from being steamy and fluffy to crunchy in the microwave. But they taste and smell like WC burgers, to me at any rate.
Damn, I think I'm going to have to go get a box tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:57 PM

People must have to grow up with White Castle in order to like their burgers. I spent some time in the Chicago area and was looking forward to trying WC. Mr. Helena is a Chicago native and went on and on about them. When I tried one I was so disappointed! They were extremely greasy, probably to cover up the absolute lack of any other flavor. They were revolting!

Steak 'n' Shake, though, I sure wish they'd come west. Culver's, too. And Portillo's and Giordano's and Pizza Uno. There's so much good food in that area, but WC isn't it!
Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
People must have to grow up with White Castle in order to like their burgers.
I've heard people say this, but in my experience, it isn't true. My Hungarian (ex)-girlfriend just loved the things the first time she had them when visiting the US, and I've introduced others to the burgers with varying results, mostly positive, but not always. I will admit that it does seem to be a love or hate thing. I mean, there's people who grew up with them who hate them and don't get them at all. I think they are wonderful things, especially if you like onions. And I love my burgers on the greasy side. I always downplay them a bit when introducing somebody to them and explain to them not to expect just a hamburger sized down, and that it's its own thing. Many pubs do "sliders" these days, but they're not true sliders to me. They gotta be thin hamburger patties steam-fried with onions, with a pillowy bun that is steamed, as well. The whole experience should be texturally soft, with perhaps the slightest resistance in the burger patty. Pub "sliders" are always just regular hamburgers downsized. That is _not_ a slider to me. Krystal qualifies. When I want a slider, I want that delicate textural experience, with all its greasy, oniony goodness.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-12-2017 at 12:10 AM..
Old 02-12-2017, 02:15 AM

I miss the (pre-Carl's buyout) Hardees Big Deluxe. With fat-cut fries which I would dip in half ketchup and half horseradish sauce. And a Coke, of course.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:33 AM

White Castle is a food that does not provoke ambivalence.

I have also used the Frozen White Castles as a substitute and they're pretty close, just missing that layer of grease that holds it all together. Which is actually kind of important.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
McDonald's chicken sandwiches, the Ranch BLT in particular. Haven't been to one since those were discontinued.
Just heard about chocolate shamrock shakes. I'll have to try one of those but I'm still not interested in any of their burgers.