The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Bombs..

Scene: Hapless non-tech finds bomb set to go off in 5 minutes. Phone call to tech-expert back at HQ.

I found a bomb! How do I disarm it?!
Describe what you see.
There's a timer. And a circuit board. And 6 batteries on the right side!
Do you see a blue wire?
Yes!
Don't touch the blue wire. The bomb will detonate. Find the green wire.
Okay. Got it.
Cut that one.
*Cuts wire* Two seconds left on still timer.

So all villainous bomb makers use the same build guide? Or get the same do it yourself bomb kit from ACME? Why weren't those in the Heathkit catalog?

I've heard this complaint before, but I've never seen a movie where it is a problem. It is usually used where a series of bombs haver been left by the same person.

It comes from Real Life. During WWII the Germans dropped a load of bombs on England. Some didn't explode on impact. The bombs were made in factories to a few specific designs. The UXB team had learned that with type 1, they should cut the red wire, and with type 2 they should cut the blue wire, and so on.
Advertisements  
Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
That was a plot point, building the tension for the upcoming ambiguous series ending. I certainly don't think it can never be used, just that it needs a purpose other than portraying the reality of finding parking in a city. jtur88 excellently describes things they get wrong every time. Street parking is not one of them.
Thing is, they can just skip the parking.

Show the characters leaving the office, saying "I drive".

Next shot, they walk to wherever they're going. It is understood they haven't just shoved the car into a pocket.

If you need to show the car because of brand placement deals, show it in a garage.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Thing is, they can just skip the parking.

Show the characters leaving the office, saying "I drive".

Next shot, they walk to wherever they're going. It is understood they haven't just shoved the car into a pocket.

If you need to show the car because of brand placement deals, show it in a garage.
Definitely. This happens quite often, where they get the call in the office and in the next scene they are on their way in the car; or where they are talking in the car then next knocking on a door. I'm not going to guess why sometimes the directors feel the car pulling up to the curb scene is necessary for the story and others it is not. That said, the car pulling up to the curb scene is a few seconds; realistic parking and walking would be significantly longer.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
<snip>
They also ignore how filthy everyone's cars get in the winter.
EVERYTHING gets filthy in winter. Every frigging thing. You can't touch anything outside in winter without getting filthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pork-Chop Express View Post
On a related note: people getting knocked out and waking up hours later. If you're knocked out for more than a minute or two, you've incurred a serious, permanent brain injury.
"Welcome to the Lana Lang Traumatic Brain Injury Wing of the hospital." (From "Smallville," where Lana gets knocked out at least once per episode.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamozzle View Post
I'm curious, how cold does it get where you folks live?<snip>
I was wondering that myself. I've lived in Western Canada all 50 of my years - I know cold.

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 02-10-2017 at 11:21 AM..
Old 02-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I'm curious, how cold does it get where you folks live?

Where I live, it gets colder than Genghis Khan's mother-in-law and only fools don't warm up their vehicles good and proper (not calling anyone here a fool), for the sake of the vehicle's happy parts.

So, you either sit in your vehicle and wait, dreaming of Antarctica, or you go back inside and watch YouTube videos for 10 or 15 minutes. If you're really clever you let the heat melt the ice on the windows for you.
I'm in northeastern South Dakota and it gets pretty darn cold here. That being said, not only is it wasting gas to leave a car running to 'warm up', it's bad for the car. You should warm it up by driving it around at something much less than highway speed.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
That being said, not only is it wasting gas to leave a car running to 'warm up', it's bad for the car.
It's not bad for modern cars, it's just unnecessary from a mechanical point of view. But for those of us who don't care to sit in a sub-freezing environment, warming it up to get heat is highly desirable and worth the small cost of gas used.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:42 PM

12 Step recovery (meetings, programs in general). They never get it right. NEVER.

Which, seeing as how many screenwriters have substance abuse issues, must be intentional.

Note: Elementary has come the closest I've seen

Last edited by Typo Negative; 02-10-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Scriptwriters and movie makers who live in Los Angeles making movies/tv shows that are supposed to be set in a cold place always drives me a little bit crazy - those of us who live in cold places can always tell when they're faking a "cold" place. You cant see the actors' breath, nothing warm outside is steaming, the snow doesn't sound right, the snow doesn't melt when it hits a warm human or when they come inside - the list just goes on and on. The movie "Fargo" got it the closest to right, but they still have a big flub when they had William Macy's character scrape his car before he started it - I and no one I know would ever do it in that order.
And those "winter" scenes, especially for TV shows, are often shot in August or September. Pity the poor actors and extras in winter coats, boots and scarves when it's 100 degrees out! Conversely, "summer" scenes are often shot in January and February - shooting beach and pool scenes in winter, even California winter, is not that much fun.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:10 PM

Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men pretty much got it right as they were mostly filmed in Minnesota.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 PM

In a dim sewer or tunnel or some such, a bunch of rats are scurrying around squeaking constantly.

I have had quite a bit of experience with rats, both wild and domesticated, and they just don't squeak that often.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post

I think what really irritates me the most is what TV Tropes calls SoCalization. Meaning, pretending things are the same everywhere else in the country as they are in SoCal. The worst offender in recent history was the TV show Detroit 1-8-7. Section 187 is the California penal code for murder and bears no resemblance to the numbering used in the Michigan Compiled Laws.
There was an episode of One Day at a Time where someone in an activist group Barbara wanted to join was credited with "spearheading" some "recall election." ODAAT is set in Indiana, and we don't have recall elections here, like they do in California.

Also, a couple of other Indiana things that bug me: one is really petty, but the Indianapolis police are not the IPD, they are the IMPD, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. Any show set in Indiana and involving the police NEVER bothers to research this.

The other is specific to the show The Good Wife. There were, IIRC, three death penalty cases on the show, all in Indiana, where the characters hopped over the Illinois border to handle them, because Illinois, where the show was set doesn't have the death penalty. Thing is, Indiana is not Texas. We didn't actually have an execution during the whole run of the show, let alone three. And if we did, I doubt that a defendant would hire a lawyer who works in a state without the death penalty; they'd hire a death penalty expert.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
I've been involved in public education my entire life, and I have never heard the leader of the school called "Principal Smith". The principal is always Mr. Smith or Mrs. Jones. The job title is never used in addressing the person or referencing the person in other conversation. On TV programs, however, the principal seems always to be "Principal So-and-So".
Look, Drum God, you're my brother, so you and I both remember that time back in elementary school when you peed on Principal Snyder's lunchbox. I don't have to tell you how upset mom was, because we both were there. And I definitely don't have to remind you that you had to spend six weeks with Counselor Martinez after school. Remember how that gave you your fear of enclosed spaces, what you and I both know is also called claustrophobia?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Not even sure this is wrong, but here goes: Seen this scenario a few times, most recently on Gotham. Woman finds out something that freaks her out, starts screaming. Man puts hand over her mouth to stop said screaming. Woman can't breathe, dies. Isn't far more likely to go like this. Man puts hand over mouth to stop screaming. Woman passes out from lack of oxygen, stops struggling. Man, no longer getting resistance, removes hand from mouth. Woman starts breathing again, doesn't die.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Not even sure this is wrong, but here goes: Seen this scenario a few times, most recently on Gotham. Woman finds out something that freaks her out, starts screaming. Man puts hand over her mouth to stop said screaming. Woman can't breathe, dies. Isn't far more likely to go like this. Man puts hand over mouth to stop screaming. Woman passes out from lack of oxygen, stops struggling. Man, no longer getting resistance, removes hand from mouth. Woman starts breathing again, doesn't die.
Much more likely; to kill someone that way, you have to block their breathing for a few minutes more, after they've passed out.

You see the same thing in scenes where the murderer puts a pillow over the face of the sleeping victim. They awaken, struggle, subside, and fall still. The villain then pulls the pillow away....much too soon.

(Also, many pillows are quite air-permeable!)

(Come to think of it, in the scene you're describing, does the guy block the victim's nose too?)
Old 02-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
There was an episode of One Day at a Time where someone in an activist group Barbara wanted to join was credited with "spearheading" some "recall election." ODAAT is set in Indiana, and we don't have recall elections here, like they do in California.

Also, a couple of other Indiana things that bug me: one is really petty, but the Indianapolis police are not the IPD, they are the IMPD, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. Any show set in Indiana and involving the police NEVER bothers to research this.

The other is specific to the show The Good Wife. There were, IIRC, three death penalty cases on the show, all in Indiana, where the characters hopped over the Illinois border to handle them, because Illinois, where the show was set doesn't have the death penalty. Thing is, Indiana is not Texas. We didn't actually have an execution during the whole run of the show, let alone three. And if we did, I doubt that a defendant would hire a lawyer who works in a state without the death penalty; they'd hire a death penalty expert.
I just remembered a more egregious example, also committed by the writers of the show "Detroit 1-8-7." In one scene they try to extract a confession by saying the suspect would be facing the death penalty at trial. Except Michigan abolished capital punishment in 1836. and specifically outlawed it in the state constitution in 1963. and as far as I know there's been no credible effort to change that.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:49 AM

I do know that the old show "The Fugitive" was originally supposed to have taken place in Michigan, then was changed to Indiana because of Michigan's lack of a death penalty.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:59 AM

One that may not be down to scriptwriters so much as directors: courtroom scenes in the UK adopting the clichés of US trial scenes, particularly a barrister shouting "Objection!" (which might happen but might well raise a judge's eyebrow) and more egregiously judges wielding gavels - which they don't over here. And gratingly Broadchurch 2 was full of additional legal procedural howlers - have to hope for better from Series 3.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
(Come to think of it, in the scene you're describing, does the guy block the victim's nose too?)
Maybe she had a head cold?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Things script writers get wrong every time.

Most workplace environments are unrecognizable.

First of all, I don't think I have ever in real life seen men wearing ties with short-sleeves shirts but from watching TV and movies you would thing all office jobs have that as a standard.

And someone who is trying to get ahead works on the weekend. There are a lot of jobs where you can't actually do much by deciding on your own to work more hours. On weekends you wouldn't have the support and your clients or other necessary contacts wouldn't be available either.

And there's the Big Promotion that a handful of characters are trying to compete for. That situation is not all that common.

And the Big Promotion depends on the success of the Big Presentation.

Well I know a lot of people on a lot of professions and while a lot of jobs occasionally require public speech I don't know anyone who has been preparing for a Big Presentation that everything hinges on. Big shots don't make decisions based on a singular event like that.

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-12-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Old 02-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Most workplace environments are unrecognizable.
So true.

Quote:
First of all, I don't think I have ever in real life seen men wearing ties with short-sleeves shirts but from watching TV and movies you would thing all office jobs have that as a standard.
I have, but not very often.
Quote:
And someone who is trying to get ahead works on the weekend. There are a lot of jobs where you can't actually do much by deciding on your own to work more hours. On weekends you wouldn't have the support and your clients or other necessary contacts wouldn't be available either.
Weekends (and late nights) were often good for actually getting the mundane work done. No meetings, no phone calls, no interruptions. Sure, one could get stymied when one couldn't get critical information, but some emails and it's the first thing on someone's Monday list. It all depends on the job.
Quote:
And there's the Big Promotion that a handful of characters are trying to compete for. That situation is not all that common.
Yes and no. Most who wanted to be promoted knew that there would be limited slots and that one would have to outperform his/her peers. But I don't recall ever knowing how many slots, not 100% the scoring criteria.
Quote:
And the Big Promotion depends on the success of the Big Presentation.
True, but landing a big client, especially close to promotion time, could be a game changer. Landing that same client right after promotions are given out, in some workplaces, might be useless for advancement purposes.
Quote:
Well I know a lot of people on a lot of professions and while a lot of jobs occasionally require public speech I don't know anyone who has been preparing for a Big Presentation that everything hinges on. Big shots don't make decisions based on a singular event like that.
Very true, but for critical sales pitches, often (not always) there is practice so that one's firm comes across as a well-oiled machine. But yeah, unless its a small- or medium-sized firm already circling the drain, there is (almost) never One Pitch to Rule Them All.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Actually in real life that person picking up the call on overnights is likely to be in India or the Philippines. The Operator from India is a well established Trope, but you rarely hear about the Philippines.
Which brings up a funny tech support bit from the Big Bang Theory.

I am sick and tired of semi-auto pistols running out of ammo and going 'click click click' with the slide locked back. Worse, when it's full auto and goes "clickclickclickclickclick.'
Old 02-12-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I don't know about NYC, but, as a Chicagoan, it happen more often than you would expect. People from similar social circles tend to shop/eat/etc at similar places.
I remember the first time I went to Chicago. I was standing on a street corner downtown with a buddy of mine, and the guy in front of us looked a little familiar to us. Turns out we all went to high school together in southern Indiana.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Scriptwriters and movie makers who live in Los Angeles making movies/tv shows that are supposed to be set in a cold place always drives me a little bit crazy - those of us who live in cold places can always tell when they're faking a "cold" place. You cant see the actors' breath, nothing warm outside is steaming, the snow doesn't sound right, the snow doesn't melt when it hits a warm human or when they come inside - the list just goes on and on. The movie "Fargo" got it the closest to right, but they still have a big flub when they had William Macy's character scrape his car before he started it - I and no one I know would ever do it in that order.
I do not live in Baja Canada, but we do have to scrape windshields a bit here. I have a completely different problem with that scene from Fargo, perhaps because it does not get quite that cold here. My problem is that Jerry drove that car to the meeting with Wade. The meeting lasted no more than an hour. And he goes outside again and has to scrape a millimeter of ice off his windshield. Does that actually happen? In an hour? Because, here, that would have been an overnight accumulation. An hour's worth of ice on an already warm windshield is a light frosting that comes off with a few light strokes. Do you guys have some kind of mega-monster-aggressive ice that attacks like that on a clear-ish day?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

I'm from Saskatchewan, not Minnesota, but that doesn't seem out of place to me.

You've driven for an hour, so the windshield is warm. Then you stop and go inside for an hour, while it's snowing. The snow hits the windshield, melts slightly, then starts to freeze. This particularly can happen if the snow is a bit wet to start with.

Then you come out, get the scraper, and scrape off that layer of snow-ice.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 AM

Fargo meeting/ice-scraper scene

The actual conversation we see lasts about three minutes. Pad that with a few minutes to come inside, take off and hang up his parka, then a few more minutes to put it on an leave. I think 20 minutes is pretty generous. It is not snowing when he leaves, nor is there any additional snow accumulation on the roof or trunk of black car or anything else outside (lights, planters): it does not look like it has been snowing. Where the hell did all that ice come from?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I live in the upper Midwest and never leave my keys inside a vehicle with the door closed. My spare set is inside the house / at home which would not be convenient. Thus I scrape the windows before climbing in. Actually the past two winters I use a sunshade that is outside the vehicle on my windshield negating the need to scrape it. I idle while buckling up and flipping radio stations and adjusting the heat. This is all the warmup a vehicle typically needs. That and drive city speeds for the first mile or so. Typically the air is not frigid coming out of the defrost by then. Any longer idling is a waste of fuel.

Last edited by PoppaSan; 02-13-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaSan View Post
Actually the past two winters I use a sunshade that is outside the vehicle on my windshield negating the need to scrape it.
Not following this; how does a sunshade keep frost from forming?

Quote:
I idle while buckling up and flipping radio stations and adjusting the heat. This is all the warmup a vehicle typically needs. That and drive city speeds for the first mile or so. Typically the air is not frigid coming out of the defrost by then. Any longer idling is a waste of fuel.
It's different where I live. During our cold snaps, that's not usually enough time to warm up the car.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
12 Step recovery (meetings, programs in general). They never get it right. NEVER.

Which, seeing as how many screenwriters have substance abuse issues, must be intentional.

Note: Elementary has come the closest I've seen
Since I have no experience...

How are they generally wrong, or, how is Elementary's still wrong?

Also, did you see the Closer episode where Flynn gets attacked after a meeting, and if so, how was that one?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Fargo meeting/ice-scraper scene

The actual conversation we see lasts about three minutes. Pad that with a few minutes to come inside, take off and hang up his parka, then a few more minutes to put it on an leave. I think 20 minutes is pretty generous. It is not snowing when he leaves, nor is there any additional snow accumulation on the roof or trunk of black car or anything else outside (lights, planters): it does not look like it has been snowing. Where the hell did all that ice come from?
It may have been raining/misting. And yes, it does rain/mist when it's that cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaSan View Post
Actually the past two winters I use a sunshade that is outside the vehicle on my windshield negating the need to scrape it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Not following this; how does a sunshade keep frost from forming?
I'm assuming he puts it on the outside of the windshield.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

What keeps it from flying off? Where I live, there's wind, and lots of it.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Maybe be ties it to the mirrors. I don't know, you'd have to ask him. I'm just assuming that's what he does because he said: 'I use a sunshade that is outside the vehicle on my windshield' (bolding mine).
Old 02-13-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I think in most big cities the only way it could happen is if it was a "don't even think about stopping here" zone, where our hero would have his car towed away before he even had a chance to get out of it.

It could also happen if the entire street was closed because a movie was being filmed there.
There's a controversy going on here in Sacramento where people with Police Department parking stickers sitting on their dashboards were intentionally using obscuring plastic on their license plates and parking where they weren't supposed to park.

Sandra Bullock's movie The Net always drives me up the wall when I think about it. The Bad Guys (tm) have inserted a virus into every computer system in the world to take them over, and in the process, erase all records that Bullock's character ever existed. No bank accounts, no rent records, no social security, nothing. Finally the bad guys are defeated and their virus just ... backs out. Everything it had ever damaged just seems to automatically get reverted without any special actions by anybody else.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Where I live, it gets colder than Genghis Khan's mother-in-law and only fools don't warm up their vehicles good and proper (not calling anyone here a fool), for the sake of the vehicle's happy parts.

So, you either sit in your vehicle and wait, dreaming of Antarctica, or you go back inside and watch YouTube videos for 10 or 15 minutes. If you're really clever you let the heat melt the ice on the windows for you.
Don't do it in the states where you can get a ticket - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...410364465.html
Old 02-13-2017, 04:22 PM

the special superfriends squad of fbi heroes ....... where a whole department of the fbifor the entire country is just 5 maybe 6 people all working on the exact same thing ,,,,, ie criminal minds bones ....o0h and almost every show using the fbi as city/state police

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-13-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Old 02-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
Conversely, "summer" scenes are often shot in January and February - shooting beach and pool scenes in winter, even California winter, is not that much fun.
One of the early scenes in Body Heat—the scene with the outdoor concert—was filmed during an unseasonably bitter cold snap in Florida. William Hurt and Kathleen Turner had to keep ice cubes in their mouths between takes so that their breath wouldn't be visible. Once you know this, you can't unsee it. I feel particularly bad for the extras in the concert audience, who were furiously fanning themselves while they were actually freezing.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

No show has ever gotten public education right. Not one. After the debut episode of Boston Public a few years ago, my wife asked if that stuff really happened in schools. My reply was "Sure. Every one of those events happened. In three dozen different schools in twelve different states over a period of four decades. Not in one high school in a single day."

You'd think that the writers, having most likely gone to public schools, would know this.

Last edited by silenus; 02-13-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
No show has ever gotten public education right. Not one. After the debut episode of Boston Public a few years ago, my wife asked if that stuff really happened in schools. My reply was "Sure. Every one of those events happened. In three dozen different schools in twelve different states over a period of four decades. Not in one high school in a single day."

You'd think that the writers, having most likely gone to public schools, would know this.
I suspect what actually happens in a normal high school in a typical day would not make for riveting TV, though.

That said, with really good writing, I think you make something the critics would love, but as a commercially successful product? A bit harder of a sell.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Don't do it in the states where you can get a ticket - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...410364465.html
It's not actually against the law in the state of Michigan. There's an ordinance against it in the city of Roseville, Michigan.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Also in Michigan and cops are the worst offenders with regard to this.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Maybe be ties it to the mirrors. I don't know, you'd have to ask him. I'm just assuming that's what he does because he said: 'I use a sunshade that is outside the vehicle on my windshield' (bolding mine).
We have a cover that goes on the outside of the windshield and has flaps to hold it in place (open door, insert flap at edge of door, close door). It's flexible plastic, not stiff cardboard like the usual inside-the-windshield sunscreen.

Last edited by Steve MB; 02-13-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Old 02-13-2017, 08:38 PM

I've seen people use blankets that way.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
<snip>
It's different where I live. During our cold snaps, that's not usually enough time to warm up the car.
It usually takes about 15 minutes for your car to start blowing warm air, in my experience. In other words, it starts blowing warm air just as you get where you're going.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:51 AM

About the parking spot in a crowded city issue - I think one possible solution would be for the scriptwriters to have the main character say "This is handicapped parking, but it's an emergency so we just have to use it temporarily for now" - which would sidestep the "how could you find an empty spot" and also not have to show the character spending 5 minutes searching for a spot, which no audience wants to endure.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Ironically, the part that writers always get wrong is portraying authors.

They're usually portrayed as being rich and successful; most authors don't make enough to live on, and even successful ones only make enough to live comfortably.*

Also too many plots involved authors stealing a novel from someone else, something that never happens in real life (I know of only one case in the past 35 years).**

Finally, when they show a book manuscript, it's about 150 pages. That's not enough for a novel, where the minimum is twice that. Scriptwriters are used to seeing scripts and thinking novel manuscripts look the same.

Of course, these aren't really a big deal, and they don't ruin the movie. If anything, they make it more entertaining.

*Castle made an attempt early on, even showing him working on his next book, and with a screensaver that said "You should be writing." But they gave that up after a handful of episodes.

**I'm not talking about taking nonfiction work and not properly attributing it -- I mean actually publishing someone else's novel under your name.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Mine is the usual - people knocking each other out with a punch to the head, and the puncher doesn't break his hand and the punchee simply goes asleep for a few minutes and wakes up without puking.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-14-2017, 03:29 PM

Steganography. Admittedly the real thing is as thrilling as drying paint and would take the entire episode to explain in layman's terms. It still isn't zooming in on part of an image and reading the secret message on the screen.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:46 PM

There are several safeguards against runaway trains. The plot of a train having the engineer get killed, or keel over, or the throttle handle broke off by some nefarious character is incorrect.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:50 PM

I don't know where script writers get this one, but the idea that you can be alone in a library with a librarian and you can just purse your lips a few times at her and she will just take off her glasses and take her hair out of that messy bun never happens! Get it together writers!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that only happens on Brazzers and James Bond movies...
Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icewater View Post
There are several safeguards against runaway trains. The plot of a train having the engineer get killed, or keel over, or the throttle handle broke off by some nefarious character is incorrect.
Not everywhere. We've had a few speed accidents and last station overruns in the NYC metro area in the past few years.