The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-05-2017, 07:39 AM

Help me find some new authors please.

I typically borrow e-books on my Kindle from my local library system (using Overdrive.) I am currently out of available titles from my list of "go to" authors. I'm looking for suggestions of new people to try. I tend to like a series with the same character(s) but one-offs are fine too. Here is a list of some of the authors I enjoy. I have looked at the "If you like so-and-so, you might like..." websites with limits success and I figure Dopers are a better resource.. Thanks!

Baldacci, David
Berry, Steve
Britton, Andrew
Burke, James Lee
Child, Lee
Coben, Harlan
Connelly, Michael
Crais, Robert
Deaver, Jeffrey
Evanovich, Janet
Flynn, Vince
Griffin, W.E.B.
Hall, James W.
Hamill, Pete
Land, Jon
Lehane, Dennis
Leonard, Elmore
Lutz, John
Martini, Steve
McMurtry, Larry
Parker, Robert
Pelicanos, George
Preston/Child
Rollins, James
Sandford, John
Silva, Daniel
Stone, David
Thor, Brad
Advertisements  
Old 02-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps you should share what genres you're interested in?

Readers may not be familiar with this list of names, and be unwilling to Google each to see what genre they represent. Or if they're all one genre, or several different genres!

Just a suggestion!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Those are all Crime fiction / Thriller writers, elbows.

SY, have you read Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins series, starting with Devil in a Blue Dress? Or Chester Himes' books from the '50's and '60's starting with Cotten Comes to Harlem? Good stuff.

Read any Dashiell Hammet or Raymond Chandler? Read the folks who defined the genre?

How about historical crime fiction? The Alienist by Caleb Carr is a serial killer thriller set in 1896 Manhattan. Or The Name of the Rose, set in a medieval monastery.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
Flynn, Vince
I'm curious what your thoughts are on the Kyle Mills, who took over for Flynn (if you've read Order to Kill).
Old 02-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Those are all Crime fiction / Thriller writers, elbows.

SY, have you read Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins series, starting with Devil in a Blue Dress? Or Chester Himes' books from the '50's and '60's starting with Cotten Comes to Harlem? Good stuff.

Read any Dashiell Hammet or Raymond Chandler? Read the folks who defined the genre?

How about historical crime fiction? The Alienist by Caleb Carr is a serial killer thriller set in 1896 Manhattan. Or The Name of the Rose, set in a medieval monastery.
Thanks, WordMan. I have read some of Mosley's stuff awhile ago. I can catch up on those. Never read Himes. I've read everything by Chandler, and oddly, nothing by Hammett, although at the moment I'm more interested in more modern stuff (I just started reading some James Ellroy and could not get into the period.) I did love The Alienist, and the sequel when they came out.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus Pocus View Post
I'm curious what your thoughts are on the Kyle Mills, who took over for Flynn (if you've read Order to Kill).
I have not read that one yet. Would you recommend it? I have read some of the post-Parker Spenser/Stone novels and while they were readable I definitely noticed the difference.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Perhaps you should share what genres you're interested in?

Readers may not be familiar with this list of names, and be unwilling to Google each to see what genre they represent. Or if they're all one genre, or several different genres!

Just a suggestion!
That's a good point, thanks. As Wordman noted, these are mostly in the crime fiction genre although there is some spy stuff and even some western in there. I definitely like books with some historical context to them. The Steve Berry/Jon Land style of mixing action and history/mythology.

Last edited by Southern Yankee; 02-05-2017 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Capitalization...
Old 02-05-2017, 10:17 AM

You might like the Berlin Noir trilogy from Philip Kerr: March Violets, The Pale Criminal, and A German Requiem.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
I have not read that one yet. Would you recommend it? I have read some of the post-Parker Spenser/Stone novels and while they were readable I definitely noticed the difference.
It was a slight step down from Flynn's writings, but still readable. There wasn't very much interaction between Rapp & other CIA people. I really enjoyed the Stan Hurley character, and now that he's gone there's a hole there. Rapp's interactions w/ Kennedy also seemed a bit rushed as well. Mills also seemed to use hardly any humor, whereas Flynn seemed to sprinkle it here & there (Nash was a good source of humor, but I don't recall any humorous interactions with him).

I think Mills did a pretty good job w/ recreating Rapp, but he needs some improvement in writing the other characters.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:24 AM

I suggest Clinton McKinzie, starting with The Edge of Justice. I feel good about this suggestion.

You might try CJ Box, starting with Open Season. I'm a little more tentative here.

ETA: Based on liking the context and mythology, have you tried Tony Hillerman?

Last edited by jsgoddess; 02-05-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-05-2017, 10:26 AM

I just saw your post re: genres that you like. I would highly recommend Joseph Wambaugh, especially his Hollywood Station series.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:07 AM

Give Steve Hamilton a try. Start with "Cold day in Paradise".
Old 02-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

When I started reading down your list, the first author I thought of was Robert B. Parker. Then I saw you had him listed, so next I thought of John D. MacDonald, since Parker's Spenser somehow reminds me of Travis McGee in ways. He's not a new author, though...

Maybe also Carl Hiaasen? I haven't read a lot of his, but what I have read I've found entertaining, and he seems like he wouldn't be out of place on your list.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:10 PM

Lawrence Block's books about Matt Scudder might fit into your buckets, here; though these novels are perhaps a bit more "literary" (for want of a better term) than some of the authors you've mentioned, and maybe a little more character-driven as well. The books are often quite dark. Scudder is a sort-of private investigator, an ex-policeman in Manhattan; I think the books are extremely good and might well be something you'd appreciate.

ETA: Though the books are roughly chronological and things change in Scudder's life from one novel to the next, don't start at the very beginning if you find the books intriguing; it took Block 5-6 books to find his stride.

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 02-05-2017 at 11:13 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 11:23 PM

based on your likes i would try:
modern = gillian flynn
classic = e. a. poe

mc
Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 AM

If you like books with historical context Southern Yankee, Pat Barker is well worth a go. The Regeneration trilogy (Regeneration, The Eye in the Door, The Ghost Road) are based in part on the work of poets in the trenches and the notes of an army doctor during WWI. Brilliant, brilliant writing that takes you into an horrendous world that would be unimaginable but for the fact that people lived it.
Philip K. Dick for your history and mythology mix - The Man in the High Castle where the Axis powers actually win WWII. Seems it's been made into a series (I haven't seen it - maybe 'yet', maybe not) but the book's great.
For crime, has anyone mentioned James Ellroy? The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Oh man, you are missing out on Sweden my friend...

Nesbo, Jo (Particularly "The Snowman...which is being made into a movie)

Kepler, Lars (I am addicted to his books when they come out)

and my favorite author EVER: Starling, Boris (Messiah is my favorite book of all time)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 AM

You might enjoy Nelson DeMille.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Author: Richard Stark (aka Donald E. Westlake), the Parker series. 24 novels (1962 - 2008)
Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

I'm really surprised to see you don't have Stuart Woods on there. His Stone Barrington novels are super fun.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
You might like the Berlin Noir trilogy from Philip Kerr: March Violets, The Pale Criminal, and A German Requiem.
I haven't read those titles, but I've read a half-dozen or so Kerr books, and he's very good.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I highly recommend Kate Atkinson's four-book Jackson Brodie series, starting with Case Histories.

John D. MacDonald, if you like 50s style murder mysteries.

Elmore Leonard
Old 02-09-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
I'm really surprised to see you don't have Stuart Woods on there. His Stone Barrington novels are super fun.
I was going to suggest Woods. Great suggestion!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 AM
SDSAB

Dan Chaon's Await Your Reply is a deliciously creepy novel about Internet crime, identity theft and family secrets.

Robert Harris's Fatherland is a gripping police procedural set in a 1964 Berlin in which the Nazis still rule.

Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl is about a marriage gone badly awry, and the investigation of the disappearance of a young wife from a depressed Missouri town.

All excellent. Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:00 PM

Thanks everyone! Some good suggestions here and plenty to keep me occupied for awhile!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Crime fiction is my favorite genre, so here are a few more good ones:

Stuart Macbride (Logan McCrae series)

Val McDermid (Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series)

Ian Rankin (Inspector Rebus series)

John Connolly (Charlie Parker series)

John Lescroart (Ditmas Hardy series)

George Pelecanos (Anything)

Don Winslow (Cartel Series, I haven't read his other stuff)

Richard Price (Anything)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Not a series, but an excellent read none the less...

Harry McLean's In Broad Daylight

"Seize the meal money!"
Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 PM

Read Australian writers. Some of the best are Peter Carey, Tim Winton, Shirley Hazzard. PR 9619.3 on the library shelves.

Also, Michael Ondaatje should be on everypne's short-list of must read.

Cormac McCarthy should be number One,

Last edited by jtur88; 02-10-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 PM

Elizabeth George. Seriously. Crime, but hefty. Great reads.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:47 PM

Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes

Get ready to get punched right in the feels.
Excellent book, one of my favorites.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:34 PM

I will also recommend CJ box, as well as Dana Stebenow. But one left out so far is Sue Grafton. Her Kinsey Milhone A to Z crime solvers are lightweight but I've enjoyed them. The series begins in the early 1980s and progresses a few months each book. Right now Ms. Grafton is formulating the Y or Z edition. They can be read independently, but if you start from earlier alpha books you get the sequence automatically. Highly recommended for an easy light read.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:21 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
Elizabeth George. Seriously. Crime, but hefty. Great reads.
My mom and my wife both like them very much.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:29 AM

Adam Hall's Quiller novels are among my favorite thrillers.

Adam Hall is one of several pseudonyms used by Elleston Trevor. (I've read one or two non-Hall Trevor thrillers — they seemed OK too.) Several of Trevor's novels (Quiller and other) have been made into movies, e.g. Flight of the Phoenix.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:02 PM

Thanks! I have some great suggestions. I have started with Stuart Woods Stone Barrington books because my library has most of them available as eBooks. Immediately happy that they are set in NYC, my old home town. I have made a long list from your suggestions!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:05 PM

Have you tried http://www.openingthebook.com/whichbook/Whichbook?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM

My Wife and I enjoyed -

Paula Hawkins - The Girl On The Train

Angela Masons (She has a few)

J.A Konrath (The Jack Daniels series [the books are all named after cocktails]. Jack is a female detective in Chicago)
Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 PM

In the "literary-ish" category:

Hoeg, Peter (he's the author of Smilla's Sense of Snow)
Temple, Peter (acclaimed Austraian crime writer)
Nesbo, Jo (see post #17...what Sir T-Cups said)

In the "a bit lighter, all in good fun category," which I recommend only because I see you have Janet Evanovich on your list:

Moriarty, Liane (she veers to the chick-lit side of suspense novels, but she is a great comic writer)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:51 PM

Sorry for the double post but after sleeping on your question, I came up with a few more. First, it's an accidental omission that Stieg Larsson (he of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) isn't on your list, right? If by some miracle you haven't read his books already, he fits well into your list.

I'd also recommend Sharyn McCrumb, especially the Elizabeth McPherson series. If you Google her, she's described as an "Appalachian" writer, which isn't wrong but which is incomplete. There is a strong strain of mystery/suspense through most of her novels (though she also wrote a couple of comic SF novels, Bimbos of the Death Sun and Zombies of the Gene Pool).

Last edited by CairoCarol; 02-14-2017 at 07:51 PM..
Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 PM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

Tim Dorsey. Sorta anti-crime action. The hero is a totally psychotic serial killer who is without a doubt the most charming, affable Florida fanatic in the universe. I'd hang with Serge in a heartbeat. The series is at 17? books now and a new one is imminent. Start with Florida Roadkill and just let the weirdness embrace you.

“What do they mean 'serial killers'! said Serge. (person 1), okay. But (person 2) was self-defence and the (person 3)-I mean, that was the World Series! You can call me a murderer, fair is fair, but as soon as you put 'serial' in front of it, everyone automatically thinks you're crazy.”
― Tim Dorsey, Florida Roadkill
Old 02-15-2017, 03:05 PM

How about John Le Carre? He's one of my favorites. Its spy stuff but not James Bondy in any way. Some repeating characters.