Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM

News Stories every week about SNL?

Why does the media write stories almost every week telling me about SNL? I think most people are well aware they make fun of Trump every week. Why is that show considered news right up there with Congress, Russia, etc?
Advertisements  
Old 02-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Because the media wishes they could bash Trump with the same enthusiasm, but knows they have to be more subtle about it. So they try to boost SNL, which has no such constraints.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:35 PM

that could be part of it. SNL always makes fun of the president so those skits are nothing new.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:39 PM

My guess is mainly because Trump has elevated its importance by so frequently tweeting about how bad the show is each time they've made fun of him and his supporting players.

That's made it more than just fairly effective political satire (and this week's was actually quite good) and into newsworthy.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:40 PM

And while Trump may be hard to satirize they still have a lot more to work with than they ever did with Obama. Clinton would've provided more material than Obama to. She also wouldn't constantly drawing attention to SNL with her tweets. Trump's basically giving the free advertising.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Because the media wishes they could bash Trump with the same enthusiasm, but knows they have to be more subtle about it. So they try to boost SNL, which has no such constraints.
I doubt it. I suspect it's because the news sites have found that stories about SNL get page views.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:07 PM

I guess he thought it was a pretty good show when he agreed to host it a little over a year ago in Nov. of 2015
Old 02-05-2017, 01:08 PM

This has been going on for some time. It's not just about Trump.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:15 PM

Is it NBC news? It's probably just free advertising.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:16 PM

No it's all over the media including the NY Times today
Old 02-05-2017, 01:29 PM

I think because there is a pretty good chance that the president of the United States might very well engage in a twitter war with SNL. It's news, not because SNL makes fun of the president, but because this president, as opposed to every other president since the show started, can not help himself from reacting. SNL making fun of the president is not news, but the president reacting like a mad man is news. The stories about SNL are setting the stage for Trump's unhinged reaction.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:20 PM
SD Curator of Critters

It's the Streisand effect. Trump himself has made it into news by his criticism of the show. SNL has made fun of every president since Ford, but none of them ever deigned to notice. It's really beneath the dignity of the office. And politicians are supposed to be good sports when comedians make fun of them. (I recall when SNL had Guiliani on when he was mayor, playing a taxi driver who kept cursing out Guiliani.)

Part of it too is that the actual news about the Trump administration seems like it's an SNL skit.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
It's the Streisand effect.
I endorse this observation.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:33 PM

A similar question I have is why the news media so heavily cover every single press release, product launch, etc. from the Apple corporation. Oh boy, the new iPhone has 2% more pixels than the now-obsolete model from last year. There's no need to give Apple so much free advertising.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Newspapers have been big users of Apple products since the first Mac came out. I assume the same is true for online news sites. WSJ tech guy thought Jobs was the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Don't know if TV and radio people are also big Apple fans but I suspect they are.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Seriously, you guys don't remember seeing this prior to Trump? It was common on the Sunday talk shows to show a clip from SNL, if they had a good one. I remember when the ACA web site roll-out was all over the news and SNL did a hilarious skit about it. It was on every talk show that Sunday.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I doubt it. I suspect it's because the news sites have found that stories about SNL get page views.
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I would bet this is the main reason. Anti-Trumpers are desperate for news that validates their loathing of the orange beast, and these "stories" are right up that alley. Therefore they get liked and shared and tweeted about. Trump's reactions do probably help give the stories legs, without which the media treatment of SNL satire would go back to the normal of before Trump. So it's a little bit chicken-and-egg - Trump's reactions make the stories click-bait, people click on them because they want to see Trump mocked, and that public reaction makes it more likely that Trump will comment on the next week's show. And so it goes.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I disagree that all the media are constantly talking about Saturday Night Live. I read The Washington Post every day. Nearly all the mentions of the show are found in the Style section, and even those mentions are mostly articles about particular actors who are regulars on the show. I don't read The New York Times regularly, but I find it hard to believe that it is constantly talking about the show either. I would say that any kind of media that finds it necessary to constantly talk about Saturday Night Live isn't a very serious source of news. Here are the archives giving all the mentions of the show in The New York Times and the search results giving mentions of the show in The Washington Post (since their recent archives aren't available online:

https://www.nytimes.com/topic/subjec...day-night-live

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22S...w=1280&bih=652
Old 02-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
...Trump may be hard to satirize...
I'm just gonna let this sit here...
Old 02-05-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Anti-Trumpers are desperate for news that validates their loathing of the orange beast
You're so close, but this is the weak link in the chain. People aren't desperate for that which is provided in abundance. The horrible stories are there already. What people are desperate for is the ability to laugh about it. SNL helps give catharsis with a sort of gallows humor.

Taking that into account, the rest of what you say works. But I would add one more thing: this sort of news story where you report on what the satirists have said are already popular, and have been growing for years now. Similarly with stories about big events on popular TV shows. They may have been in less serious news sources, but they were there.

And so the SNL articles already existed. Trump gave them lots of views with his antics, which the serious news sources covered. This created the self-feeding cycle.

Last edited by BigT; 02-05-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 AM

one of the lead stories on NY times website today is about SNL last night
Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

One of the reasons you see stories about SNL is that Trump responds to the episodes he views. Provides context to that day's tweets.

Another reason is to tweak Trump's nose. Knowing that (according to Trump) it emasculates Sean Spicer to have him played by a woman and that it is REAL EASY to get under Trump's skin, running stories constantly reminding Trump that Spicer is being portrayed by a woman is kind of a fuck you to all these incompetent, evil assholes.

Thirdly, because SNL affects the administration. The #PresidentBannon skit from last week (as well as the Time Mag cover) did upset the relationship between the two. So... why not report on this?

Noticed that SNL doubled-down on the "men being portrayed by women" thing this week, so we will see if Trump takes the bait

Last edited by JohnT; 02-12-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 AM

It's news because it so very obviously bothers Trump. If he ignored them like anyone with half a brain would nobody would give a shit.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:39 AM

They show SNL for the same reason they once played clips of Stewart and Colbert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I'm just gonna let this sit here...
I'd agree with him. Satire tends to be funny because it exaggerates salient details. It's hard to do that with Trump. People often just quote him verbatim, since you can't write better material than what he says naturally. The Onion has been having problems with this too. About the best I've seen is when they go psychologically dark.