The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Star Trek Back Story/Guys who need their own ep.

PREVIOUSLY ON THE PHASER THREAD....

"Was the Mirror Mirror disintegration panel a true disintegrator, or just some interdimensional transporter. Did it send whoever "to the cornfield", as it were?"

That reminds me, I wanted to make a thread about...well...see the title.

Where did the Tantalus Field come from and how did Mirror Kirk end up with it? I like to think it's like Stephen King's "The Jaunt". Kirk comes across a trader who owns this technology that originally had two pieces to it. A long range teleporter and it's receiving station.

Mirror Kirk: "What would happen if there were no receiving device?"

Trader: "Why...I don't know."

Mirror Kirk: "Let's find out."

Or the guy at the beginning of Operation Annihilate. The one who stole the ship and drove it into the sun. What's his story??? He heroically manages to resist the agony of his tormentors, steals the only operational ship they've constructed thus far and flies it into the sun, setting back the space pancakes work. Noble sunnavabitch.
Advertisements  
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM

Christopher Pike: In a Universe where ships go faster than light, computers that talk to you, transporters, blah blah blah, this fucker gets a 600lb rascal scooter with a single flashing light and can only answer, "Yes" or "No".

Who did he piss off to warrant such treatment?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:43 PM

A recent Treklit trilogy dealt with the first question in the OP. Yes, the Tantalus field was an interdimensional transporter device.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:43 AM

Gary Seven "Assignment Earth". TOS. Who exactly sent him...someone unknown in Kirk's time.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:00 AM

The Gorn captain, hands down! Followed by the first Romulan commander (Mark Lenard).

Kor.

Kang.

Koloth and Korax.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 AM

I want to see the incredible story of survival (and revenge!) of the two redshirts left on Triacus. (There's no indication that Kirk ever remembered that he needed to go back for them, though to be fair, it could just not be mentioned.) How they survived with no supplies until rescued by...oh, let's say Moe.

I want to know where Finnegan is now. I want to see if the reality matches up with Kirk's memories, and if he's a Starship captain or stuck scraping space barnacles off garbage scows.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I want to see the incredible story of survival (and revenge!) of the two redshirts left on Triacus. (There's no indication that Kirk ever remembered that he needed to go back for them, though to be fair, it could just not be mentioned.) How they survived with no supplies until rescued by...oh, let's say Moe.

I want to know where Finnegan is now. I want to see if the reality matches up with Kirk's memories, and if he's a Starship captain or stuck scraping space barnacles off garbage scows.
I'd like that. Subvert expectations and have him turn out to simply be better and more successful than Kirk ever was.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Gary Seven "Assignment Earth". TOS. Who exactly sent him...someone unknown in Kirk's time.
I read one of the Khan/Gary Seven novels. There certainly was a lot to explore in Roberta Lincoln and Mister Seven, and for the most part, it was good. (I disliked the ending of the first, and still haven't got over it enough to read the second.)

But they never answered your question. I wonder who it could be, especially as there still doesn't seem to be anyone even in Picard's time that fits the bill.

Maybe it was actually the Temporal Integrity Commission.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

The bartender in "The Trouble With Tribbles." How do you end up umpteen light-years from Earth and work as a bartender on some space station? And a rather remote one at that?

How about the back and future stories of the three frozen folks the Enterprise D thawed out? What happened to them after Picard dumped their asses off?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
A recent Treklit trilogy dealt with the first question in the OP. Yes, the Tantalus field was an interdimensional transporter device.
Not that recent. 1999. (Unless you're thinking about a different non-canonical explanation for where the Tantalus Field device came from. In the book I noted, Tiberius tortured Balok of the First Federation to give up that particular device. Nasty piece of work, that guy.)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The bartender in "The Trouble With Tribbles." How do you end up umpteen light-years from Earth and work as a bartender on some space station? And a rather remote one at that?
Well, the bartender in Deep Space Nine ended up umpteen light-years from Ferengar and working as a bartender on some space station. In his case, the "why" is "business opportunity". That sounds likely in the first case as well.

(The 21s Century Earth alternative is "the bartender works for the services contracting firm Star Fleet contracts with to operate deep-space starports and got assigned there, a la Halliburton.)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
I thought that this would be an interesting idea for a show set now. It wouldn't be the same Gary Seven (Maybe it's Gary Nine or something) but there is a modern day hero sent on a mission to pave the way towards a more utopian humanity. He has assignments sent to him and maybe someone from the future visits once or twice (but not too much). Travelers is a show with a similar idea but the hook is quite a bit different.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I thought that this would be an interesting idea for a show set now. It wouldn't be the same Gary Seven (Maybe it's Gary Nine or something) but there is a modern day hero sent on a mission to pave the way towards a more utopian humanity. He has assignments sent to him and maybe someone from the future visits once or twice (but not too much). Travelers is a show with a similar idea but the hook is quite a bit different.
Both Assignment Earth and The Questor Tapes would have made good shows. Both have that Roddenberry Utopia thing going on.

Maybe all these years of "gritty" television have damaged me, but I see a TV show where a guy thinks he's working for the New Utopia, but was in actuality recruited by the enemy. He goes along, happily doing "whatever it takes" (ie, killing) for The Greater Good, but he's really a tool of the bad guys. Maybe do that show for a whole season before you introduce the Gary Seven-analog, who sets the hero straight.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:57 AM

This TOS story left a huge hanging thread that I was surprised was never picked up by any subsequent Trek show.

The possibilities of what might have come out of that cultural infection at the end were endless.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Christopher L Bennett has done a great job in a few novels of fleshing out the "Department of Temporal Investigations".

I'd love to see that concept turned into a series. Kind of a nitty-gritty CSI- or L&O-type police procedural, with two very down-to-earth, serious investigators ... but with the fantastic element of time travel and visitors from the past/future/other dimensions thrown in.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
This TOS story left a huge hanging thread that I was surprised was never picked up by any subsequent Trek show.

The possibilities of what might have come out of that cultural infection at the end were endless.
STX: The Wrath of Oxmyx. Where a fleet of starships from The Iotian Federation are causing trouble. They're like political Pakleds - they have big ideas, but don't understand how to make them work. Hilarity ensues when Picard's Enterprise comes up against a bunch of yayhoos flying replicas of the original NCC-1701 and wearing 23rd century uniforms.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
STX: The Wrath of Oxmyx. Where a fleet of starships from The Iotian Federation are causing trouble. They're like political Pakleds - they have big ideas, but don't understand how to make them work. Hilarity ensues when Picard's Enterprise comes up against a bunch of yayhoos flying replicas of the original NCC-1701 and wearing 23rd century uniforms.
I think the story here (for me) was that the Iotians were as smart, or maybe smarter than humans, and to see in a STTNG show what they might have achieved in that time interval between TOS and SSTNG.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
I think the story here (for me) was that the Iotians were as smart, or maybe smarter than humans, and to see in a STTNG show what they might have achieved in that time interval between TOS and SSTNG.
I like that idea.

I based mine on the fact that Iotian society in APotA wouldn't work, but perhaps they knew even then that imitating Chicago wasn't working. "Nothing ever gets done." So a positively-oriented Iotian people, properly motivated, might be a powerful society.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Why are Tholians so renowned for their punctuality? How did it become so remarkable, other alien species heard about it?
Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Episode? I think an entire series could explore the culture of freebooters like Mudd and Okona.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

How about Norm... er, Morn? Fat ugly alien just sits at the bar all day, never says a word, doesn't appear to have a job, must be independently wealthy somehow.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:14 PM

These are the voyages of the Star Ship Gomtuu and his sidekick Tam Elbrun...
Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Both Assignment Earth and The Questor Tapes would have made good shows. Both have that Roddenberry Utopia thing going on.
Assignment: Earth was, in fact, meant to serve as a pilot for a spin-off series with Gary Seven (and Roberta Lincoln) -- or, possibly, a replacement series in case Star Trek was cancelled after Season 2 -- but the concept ultimately wasn't picked up by NBC.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-07-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
These are the voyages of the Star Ship Gomtuu and his sidekick Tam Elbrun...
Yea, where'd they go anyway?

And whatever happened to Decker/V'ger? Did they all just leave the universe?
Old 02-07-2017, 02:22 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Yea, where'd they go anyway?
Kansas City.
Quote:
There was some problem about a visa from the Ferengi.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe all these years of "gritty" television have damaged me, but I see a TV show where a guy thinks he's working for the New Utopia, but was in actuality recruited by the enemy. He goes along, happily doing "whatever it takes" (ie, killing) for The Greater Good, but he's really a tool of the bad guys. Maybe do that show for a whole season before you introduce the Gary Seven-analog, who sets the hero straight.

Check out the show Continuum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(TV_series)

Terrorists and a lone cop time travel back to current day, the cop vows to stop the terrorists at all costs to save the future....

SPOILER:
...and never quite realizes that the future she's trying to save is a corporate police state, she was one of the oppressors, and the terrorists kind of have a point.

Last edited by Horatius; 02-07-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Actually, gnoitall, this is the first book in the series I was describing.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....10AQvTTriL.jpg

And it wasn't so much the Tantalus Field that they were talking about but an alien device with similar effects.

And, Horatius, I gotta agree about Continuum. The cop is a moral person in service to an amoral system, while the "terrorists" employ morally objectionable methods in service to the proverbial "greater good".
Old 02-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I can imagine the opposite of this.

The Caball of Supervillains (tm) is evaluating a new group of underlings and henchmen and has one who really stands out.

You know how we have Anti-Heroes?

Make this guy the Anti-Villain!

As the story progresses, this guy quietly steers the Cabal to legitimacy.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:26 PM
BANNED

I always wanted to see where 'Tin Man' went.

Yes, the needy crazy human had to go... but humans only live so long. It would have been cool if a damaged ship came across it and its crew were 'adopted'.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
How about Norm... er, Morn? Fat ugly alien just sits at the bar all day, never says a word, doesn't appear to have a job, must be independently wealthy somehow.
He got his episode to explain that last bit - although he barely appeared in it. Who Mourns for Morn?, where he faked his death to throw off his accomplices from when he was a thief.

And he pretty much had to not appear, in order to retain the running gag about him being a chatterbox without ever showing him saying a word.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
He got his episode to explain that last bit - although he barely appeared in it. Who Mourns for Morn?, where he faked his death to throw off his accomplices from when he was a thief.

And he pretty much had to not appear, in order to retain the running gag about him being a chatterbox without ever showing him saying a word.
Cool, thanks. I'm only up to early S5 on Netflix, so I haven't seen that one yet. Looks like I have almost a full season to go before I get to that one.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I'd like to know what the hell happened to Borg species 1.

Looking back, I imagine it was a humanoid race not to unlike our own. Someone figured out how to bypass those pesky devices we love keeping our faces glued to, to engage in social media, and drilled it straight into their brains.

Which led to a hive mind. Then once they consumed all the knowledge on their own planet, they venture out to consume more.

Did they have any idea what they were doing to themselves?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

Did they have any idea what they were doing to themselves?
I blame Steve Jobs.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Vash. She needs her own series. Preferably one where she teams up with Mycroft from BBC's Sherlock and solves crimes.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I blame Steve Jobs.
Donít pick the on the Borg King!
Old 02-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Vash. She needs her own series. Preferably one where she teams up with Mycroft from BBC's Sherlock and solves crimes.
Ooh! I'm picturing a seedy space bar: one part Quark's, one part Mos Eisley cantina, one part Callahan's. Freebooters hang out there looking for work as does Vash between cases.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:11 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Wouldn't mind hearing about how an exact duplicate of Earth ended up creating Miri's onlies.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:20 PM

I'd love to see the DS9 novels "A Stitch in Time" (about Garak) and "The Never-Ending Sacrifice" (about Rugal, the child from "Cardassians") made into live-action form. The latter was particularly epic.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I just finished rewatching STTMP (oh the pain! the pain!) and I have a different opinion now.

Despite the dialog, I think Vger died, along with Decker. Vger didn't know (as per dialog) what its purpose was, but it did think transmitting the data would do...something. Maybe the next level of existance.

But what if it just died? Maybe THAT isn the next level - oblivion. That really IS all there is to life. There isn't anything more. The universe is a cold, lonely place, and the end of the road is the freedom from living in it anymore.

Decker didn't know what he was getting. He thought he was evolving, but that's not what happened. He'll just never know it.

Maybe what really makes the Q surly is that they can't die.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 02-10-2017 at 12:41 AM..
Old 02-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

I'll add another vote for Okona. That character could stand to be rehabbed a little, given that he didn't exactly get a lot of opportunities to live up to the word "outrageous" the first time around. And he probably deserves to have a showcase without that wretched B-plot featuring Data and Joe Piscopo dragging everything down. Who thought THAT was a good idea?
Old 02-11-2017, 02:57 AM

Ensign Wildman.

A xenobiologist, apparently, but curiously one both so vital to the Voyager science department that she can't be reassigned to medical, even when the sole assistant to the Doctor for years at a time consisted of a helmsman who once took a semester of biochemistry; but at the same time was so unimportant that she rarely interacted with the senior staff, even on a ship with no chief science officer.

(I kid, of course, I kid...any real attempt to clumsily rationalize/retcon creative decisions like that would probably just tick me off.)
Old 02-11-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
He's a Federation citizen. He's as rich as Croesus just by virtue of being a living sophont. He just chooses to spend his time at Quark's bar, spending his credits watching the world go by in a very interesting locale.

See, most Trek shows and books and so on focus on the throw-backs, the type-A (for atavistic) personalities who can't act like most Federation citizens and let the galaxy take care of itself. For every Kirk, for every Janeway, for every Sisko, there's billions upon billions of people (sensu latu) who are more than content to spend their time fun-employed, playing at being bakers or creole chefs or sculptors. Morn is simply one of our few glimpses at the typical Federation citizen.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing more about the First Federation. There's this big, ancient polity, with unimaginably massive ships which can go toe-to-toe with the Enterprise and which can be run entirely by one person and a spooky doll. That group probably has some interesting history. Plus, the idea of a starship captain who relies entirely on clever trickery to win without firing a shot would oh god I've just melded Star Trek with Doctor Who haven't I? Still, a series focused on a character like that would be an interesting show, unearthly child and all.