Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2017, 07:20 AM
aldiboronti aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troynovant
Posts: 7,901
Are there any neutral news sources out there?

It seems that whichever place I go to get news it has a conservative or liberal bias. Even though I lean to the right I'd really like to get my news in as balanced a version as is humanly possible.

I do realize that it's almost impossible for news to be absolutely neutral. Even selection of what stories to report involves some bias. But what is the closest thing to the ideal on the net? I really do not want to live in a bubble, of whatever complexion.
  #2  
Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Alessan Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 22,441
You'll never find a publication that most people consider neutral. The best you can do is find one that liberals accuse of being conservative and conservatives accuse of being liberal, and hope both sides are right.
  #3  
Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Crotalus Crotalus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 5,726
The closest thing I have found to a neutral site for US news is the BBC. I'm sure it's not truly neutral, but it generally lacks the partisan spin that pollutes most US-based sites. I'm curious to know what you think of it.
  #4  
Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 27,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
The closest thing I have found to a neutral site for US news is the BBC.
The BBC news website is vastly more neutral than what they say on TV.
  #5  
Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Shoeless Shoeless is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 5,507
Some folks would disagree, but I'd say NPR news is actually fairly balanced. Some of their entertainment programming is definitely slanted left though.
  #6  
Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 AM
elbows elbows is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 12,927
I find ChannelNewsAsia refreshing whenever I'm fed up with the NAmerican/European centric view.
  #7  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 27,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Some folks would disagree, but I'd say NPR news is actually fairly balanced. Some of their entertainment programming is definitely slanted left though.
This is what I came in to say. I think the news web site they have is a very good source for news and isn't biased hugely.
  #8  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 27,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
It seems that whichever place I go to get news it has a conservative or liberal bias. Even though I lean to the right I'd really like to get my news in as balanced a version as is humanly possible.
By the way, I really did find CNN's web site to be really neutral. However, and I guess part of this is my opinion, Trump has been berating them heavily and it would be easy to interpret their coverage now as "anti-Trump". However, I don't think they were anti-Obama, anti-Bush, or anti-Clinton, etc. Trump really has been hammering them as fake news.

They look way more liberal now, but I think that they are generally the middle ground in cable news.
  #9  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Algernon Algernon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 2,720
I am a subscriber to The Week magazine. In their articles they consistently provide perspectives from all sides, quoting both liberal and conservative writers/reporters.

Here is a link to their online version. I assume it contains the same style of content.
http://theweek.com/
  #10  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:16 AM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 12,576
My first news page I open up in the morning is Reuters. One thing I like about that agency is that they don't pounce on every little "story" as it comes up and immediately post something about it. That helps separate some of the chaff from the actual meat (to mix metaphors).

If you are not a regular reader of news, The Week is a very good magazine to get. Does a bang-up job summarizing what was being said, and looks at some very non-traditional sources to do that. However, their online website tends to have some very biased commentary, which is not always distinguished from "news" (a problem found on many a "news" site these days).
  #11  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:17 AM
GreenWyvern GreenWyvern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 523
There are no neutral news sources, though some are a lot better than others.

I read several sources across the spectrum. Usually a particular source is good on some topics, and not so good on others. But if you read a selection of different sources, you'll get a good picture and be able to make up your own mind.
  #12  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Grey Grey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 6,385
Are you looking for news as a description of what has happened or "news" as commentary on what may or may not have happened?
  #13  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Mr. Nylock Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 2,680
C-span
  #14  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM
BrotherCadfael BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 9,851
If you live in a northern tier state, check out the Canadian news. Yes, they have their own biases, but it is very interesting getting an outside perspective.
  #15  
Old 02-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 27,280
I would also recommend Fareed Zakaria if you like intelligent, erudite, non-partisan analysis. He has views, but has voted for both Republican and Democratic Presidents and is very far from being a hack-partisan guy. He also is just really smart and articulate.

Here is an article entitled, "Sorry, Mr. Trump, I agree with you." that is not too shabby.


And if that looks in any way conservative, here is his final article where he lays out why he was voting for Hillary Clinton without really being a supporter of hers. His views in this article were really similar to mine and hardly "hack partisan" like so many others.

Note: I can't find his article on the election. It was called, "Your views on Clinton are irrelevant. Trump is not normal" or something like that. Anyone?
  #16  
Old 02-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Projammer Projammer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 5,783
I generally find myself in agreement with this chart as to where news organizations fall on the reliability/liberal/conservative scales.
  #17  
Old 02-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Orwell Orwell is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
I generally find myself in agreement with this chart as to where news organizations fall on the reliability/liberal/conservative scales.
I realize a lot of this is opinion, but anything that shows the NY Times, WaPost, CNN, ABC and NBC as unbiased is way off the mark. They are all liberally biased, often blatantly so.

I will look at NPR's news site. Given their government funding and radio programming, I am a bit skeptical, but I'll give it a shot.

For the OP, here is a website I found while trying to find neutral news sources:

http://www.allsides.com/
  #18  
Old 02-08-2017, 02:20 PM
puddleglum puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
I generally find myself in agreement with this chart as to where news organizations fall on the reliability/liberal/conservative scales.
Any chart that lists NPR as non-partisan and meeting high standards is totally unreliable.
I have never found a source without bias. I think the trick is to read enough sources to figure out the biases and then take that into account when reading their take on the news.
  #19  
Old 02-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 27,331
All news organisations have their biases. And different parts of the same organisation can have different biases. So read more than one and make sure you read ones of differing viewpoints.
  #20  
Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 27,331
Hmm... something I touched on earlier WRT the BBC, but I've also seen it elsewhere is that to me, TV news seems much more biased than papers and text articles. Does that chime with you?
  #21  
Old 02-08-2017, 06:53 PM
pinkfreud pinkfreud is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
I am a subscriber to The Week magazine. In their articles they consistently provide perspectives from all sides, quoting both liberal and conservative writers/reporters.

Here is a link to their online version. I assume it contains the same style of content.
http://theweek.com/
Another vote for The Week magazine. This is my favorite news source ever.
  #22  
Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 PM
puddleglum puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Hmm... something I touched on earlier WRT the BBC, but I've also seen it elsewhere is that to me, TV news seems much more biased than papers and text articles. Does that chime with you?
TV is a much more emotional medium. Therefore it is easier to be biased on TV than in writing which appeals to reason. I don't think tv news is worth watching for other than entertainment or to get the weather.
  #23  
Old 02-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 27,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
TV is a much more emotional medium. Therefore it is easier to be biased on TV than in writing which appeals to reason.
Good point.
  #24  
Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 38,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Any chart that lists NPR as non-partisan and meeting high standards is totally unreliable.
I have never found a source without bias. I think the trick is to read enough sources to figure out the biases and then take that into account when reading their take on the news.
Do you have a basis for that comment or can you provide examples of partisan reporting by NPR?
  #25  
Old 02-09-2017, 01:59 PM
running coach running coach is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 32,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Do you have a basis for that comment or can you provide examples of partisan reporting by NPR?
Of course he can find any number of instances of NPR supporting a left wing viewpoint.
What won't be mentioned are the number of times NPR supported a right wing viewpoint.
  #26  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Roderick Femm Roderick Femm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Of course he can find any number of instances of NPR supporting a left wing viewpoint.
What won't be mentioned are the number of times NPR supported a right wing viewpoint.
Further on the NPR News website and their position on that chart: they are in the right position vertically, that is, they are a good source of news about events, but less good as a source of in-depth reporting (with exceptions, they do have some extraordinarily perceptive long pieces from time to time). I tend to agree that they should be positioned a little further to the left on the chart, however.

I used to read The Economist, taking after my father, because although nominally conservatively oriented, they provide a ton of background information about the stories in the news as well as important but less-covered stories. My problem was that the articles were so long that I couldn't finish one week's issue before the next one came, and I finally gave up. Perhaps it's time to look at them again. They are a paid site, however.
  #27  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 24,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Do you have a basis for that comment or can you provide examples of partisan reporting by NPR?
Of course he can find any number of instances of NPR supporting a left wing viewpoint.
What won't be mentioned are the number of times NPR supported a right wing viewpoint.
I've read an analysis of the guests on the Sunday morning political chat shows, pointing out that the vast majority of the guests are establishment political, media and corporate people. The idea is that these shows (and other media) have a bias against outsider viewpoints. There are other biases aside from whether they're left-leaning or right-leaning.
  #28  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:53 PM
The Real Real Ribeye The Real Real Ribeye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
This might be helpful.http://m.imgur.com/gallery/iPLkz
  #29  
Old 02-09-2017, 07:16 PM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 12,576
The Economist is hardly a conservative organ. It intentionally editorially fosters the idea of economic liberalism. It is, however, an excellent source of information, especially about political and economic doings around the world. It is a staple in my Saturday mailbox, and has been for years now.
  #30  
Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 73,180
Define "economic liberalism", because I suspect that you mean what's usually called "economic libertarianism", which is conservative (just as "social libertarianism" is liberal).
  #31  
Old 02-10-2017, 01:11 AM
rowrrbazzle rowrrbazzle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,508
Neutral sources? None (at least that everyone will think so). There never were. Expecting someone with a graph to be reliable is a joke. Who decides she's reliable?

BBC, CBC? Government funded news? Forget it.

How many sources to the left of FOX ever stated that Trump might even have a chance? None. That tells you where their bias is and how reliable their reporting is. (Actually, I believe one person on CNN said Trump might have a chance, but he was laughed at and attacked.)

Here are some quotes for you to ponder.

"... it was the first time that I had seen a person whose profession was telling lies—unless one counts journalists."
--George Orwell, "Homage to Catalonia" (1938)

"Everything you read in the newspapers is absolutely true—except for the rare story of which you happen to have firsthand knowledge."
--Knoll's Law of Media Accuracy (Erwin Knoll, editor, "The Progressive")

"It is a melancholy truth, that a suppression of the press could not more completely deprive the nation of its benefits, than is done by its abandoned prostitution to falsehood. Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Norvell (June 11, 1807)

"Speaking as a lawprof who used to take calls from reporters, I eventually figured out that the reporter always had the idea of what I was going to say and would keep talking one way or another at me to try to get me to say it. When I realized that all my effort explaining things in a service-oriented way was wasted and the only quote that was used was the thing I could see, in retrospect, the reporter was taking up my time trying to get me to say, I stopped taking calls — to save time and to protect myself from distortion and exploitation." -- UWM law professor Ann Althouse, 2/4/17 12:11 PM http://althouse.blogspot.com/2017/02...29915920410489

"Early in life I have noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper, but in Spain, for the first time, I saw newspaper reports which did not bear any relation to the facts, not even the relationship which is implied in an ordinary lie. I saw great battles reported where there had been no fighting, and complete silence where hundreds of men had been killed. I saw troops who had fought bravely denounced as cowards and traitors, and others who had never seen a shot fired hailed as the heroes of imaginary victories; and I saw newspapers in London retailing these lies and eager intellectuals building emotional superstructures over events that had never happened. I saw, in fact, history being written not in terms of what happened but of what ought to have happened according to various ‘party lines’."
--George Orwell, "Looking Back on the Spanish War" (1943)
  #32  
Old 02-10-2017, 01:27 AM
TYphoonSignal8 TYphoonSignal8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
The Economist is hardly a conservative organ. It intentionally editorially fosters the idea of economic liberalism. It is, however, an excellent source of information, especially about political and economic doings around the world. It is a staple in my Saturday mailbox, and has been for years now.
I love The Economist, but it is hardly non-partisan - indeed, it is express in its pre-Thatcherite Tory (socially liberal, economically conservative) positions.
  #33  
Old 02-10-2017, 12:27 PM
jtur88 jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 13,305
This is like asking if there are any neutral sit-coms on network TV. It's the entertainment industry, folks. The winners are the ones that package a product that the advertisers will buy inn order to increase the share value of the entertainment corporation..

Last edited by jtur88; 02-10-2017 at 12:29 PM.
  #34  
Old 02-10-2017, 01:37 PM
puddleglum puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Do you have a basis for that comment or can you provide examples of partisan reporting by NPR?
I was unwilling listener and found bias in at least 50% of the stories I heard.
  #35  
Old 02-10-2017, 01:59 PM
HMS Irruncible HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
It seems that whichever place I go to get news it has a conservative or liberal bias. Even though I lean to the right I'd really like to get my news in as balanced a version as is humanly possible.
Any source is going to have bias and opinions. The key is to ensure the source is open about it, not trying to soft-peddle their opinion as fact.

I am a huge fan of The Economist. It's considered mildly center-right, which is more conservative than I am, but I don't mind because (IMO) their treatment is comprehensive, fair, and unimpeachable. Downside: It's a British newspaper. Though their US-centric news is fantastic, there may not be enough of it for you. Also you have to get used to international political terms - i.e. "neoliberal" is what an American might call conservative libertarian.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 02-10-2017 at 02:02 PM.
  #36  
Old 02-10-2017, 09:27 PM
astorian astorian is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: austin tx usa
Posts: 34,452
I repeat what I've often said before: NO, there are no neutral news sources. But we don't NEED neutral sources- we need ACCURATE news sources.

And luckily, most mainstream sources of news ARE accurate, even when biased.

Do I believe the BBC is neutral? No- I consider them biased leftward. But I trust their facts, even when I'm suspicious of their motives.

Getting the facts right matters far more than neutrality.

Last edited by astorian; 02-10-2017 at 09:27 PM.
  #37  
Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 PM
River Hippie River Hippie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N.E. Indiana, USA
Posts: 4,858
I like NPR and PBS. They are terrified of losing their government funding and bend over backwards to be fair and balanced.
  #38  
Old 02-11-2017, 01:59 AM
China Guy China Guy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 10,894
www.bloomberg.com

It's business news and cover anything that will impact business. The news side is pretty much straight wire service news. So, you get the Trump executive order on immigration IMHO fairly free of bias. Very unlike say the US version of the Wall Street Journal, which presents it's news through a decidedly conservative, pro wall street lens. (Oddly enough, I quite like the Wall Street JOurnal Asian edition, which doesn't have that lens on).

Editorials of course are editorials and can slant. But for straight news its really good.
  #39  
Old 02-11-2017, 05:01 AM
septimus septimus is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 14,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I am a huge fan of The Economist. It's considered mildly center-right, which is more conservative than I am, but I don't mind because (IMO) their treatment is comprehensive, fair, and unimpeachable. Downside: It's a British newspaper.
I am a huge fan of The Atlantic Monthly — it's always been a great magazine, but has become more political in recent years. It has published a large number of in-depth articles on important American issues. It's left-of-center, but its quality in-depth reporting and analysis often implies support for some conservative positions.

Interestingly, in the graphic linked above The Atlantic Monthly is shown in the mirror position to The Economist.

I agree that NPR, Reuters and, to a lesser extent, NY Times and WS Journal are reasonably good sources. The idea that NPR is left-biased seems ... Alternate. I am also very curious what the objection is. (Frankly, when comparing American sources like NPR and CNN the left-right axis seems less relevant than the smart-dumb axis.)

Last edited by septimus; 02-11-2017 at 05:03 AM.
  #40  
Old 02-11-2017, 01:56 PM
jtur88 jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 13,305
Bias in the news is not in what they say, but in what they don't say. In the editorial choice of which stories they will report and which they will not. Which potentially contributing factors they will mention and which they do not.

You can bias a story by saying what race some one is. But you can also bias a story by NOT saying what race some one is. Editorial neutrality requires the effort to judge whether it is germane to the story.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-11-2017 at 02:01 PM.
  #41  
Old 02-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Acsenray Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 32,875
A truly "neutral" news source would be useless. Facts aren't neutral. They are what they are.

For American news sources, NPR is pretty much as factual, accurate, and reliable as is possible. The New York Times and The Washington Post are also factual, accurate, and reliable.

The problem here is not that there aren't factual, accurate, and reliable news sources, but that since the mid-1960s, the right has made its strategy to declare a war on the mainstream media and on facts itself.

At this point, it's not mainstream news you need to be skeptical of. It's the claims of bias that you need to suspect.
  #42  
Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM
puddleglum puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I like NPR and PBS. They are terrified of losing their government funding and bend over backwards to be fair and balanced.
NPR is terrified of losing its liberal listeners. So they bend over backwards to avoid covering the news in any way that could upset their sensibilities. That is why George Soros gave them almost two million dollars and why their board is made up of liberals.
  #43  
Old 02-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 53,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
NPR is terrified of losing its liberal listeners. So they bend over backwards to avoid covering the news in any way that could upset their sensibilities. That is why George Soros gave them almost two million dollars and why their board is made up of liberals.
Nice words-got any examples to show us?
  #44  
Old 02-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Gary T Gary T is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
I am a subscriber to The Week magazine. In their articles they consistently provide perspectives from all sides, quoting both liberal and conservative writers/reporters.

Here is a link to their online version. I assume it contains the same style of content.http://theweek.com/
It doesn't really. It takes a different approach (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
If you are not a regular reader of news, The Week is a very good magazine to get. Does a bang-up job summarizing what was being said, and looks at some very non-traditional sources to do that. However, their online website tends to have some very biased commentary, which is not always distinguished from "news" (a problem found on many a "news" site these days).
I agree. The magazine reports stories in some depth, usually with brief summaries of several related editorials from external sources, and also has a selection of external editorials on various topics,. The website has a number of "quick read" (i.e., quite short) stories in short-lived rotation, and a slower rotation under the bylines of a group of regular contributors of several longer mostly opinion pieces. As you say, they aren't generally labeled as such but it they always struck me as somewhat obviously editorial/speculative.
  #45  
Old 02-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Quimby Quimby is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,230
The chart linked to above seems reasonably fair to me.

Also the New York Times is not liberal. Their opinion page maybe leans left but their news doesn't. They helped Bush lie us into a war and they gleefully trashed Hillary for a year this past year. If they have a liberal agenda they suck at it.
  #46  
Old 02-13-2017, 04:04 PM
DinoR DinoR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,536
I stumbled on a newer site Media Bias /Fact Check that's come out of the "how do we deal with fake news? drama. They look at both bias and, for each source, rate them for "Factual Reporting." In many cases they have notes specific to the source including links to issues they've had with the big name fact checking sites.

They have a list of Least Biased. As you move out from that center in their other categories their methodology can still let a source be High for factual reporting but show bias in other ways (emotionally loaded words, omitting factual information that conflicts with their bias, etc.) Their left/right center bias lists with highly factual sources probably isn't a bad strategy either if you consume some from both to balance out the emotional loading.
  #47  
Old 02-13-2017, 04:28 PM
mikecurtis mikecurtis is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 935
i know i'm gonna get shouted at; but for straight talk in the world news i like al jazeera

mc
  #48  
Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Quimby Quimby is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
i know i'm gonna get shouted at; but for straight talk in the world news i like al jazeera

mc
They do good reporting.
  #49  
Old 02-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 71,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
By the way, I really did find CNN's web site to be really neutral. However, and I guess part of this is my opinion, Trump has been berating them heavily and it would be easy to interpret their coverage now as "anti-Trump". However, I don't think they were anti-Obama, anti-Bush, or anti-Clinton, etc. Trump really has been hammering them as fake news.

They look way more liberal now, but I think that they are generally the middle ground in cable news.
Agreed. CNN.com is where I begin every day with a glance at the headlines. It's not always well-edited, but I haven't discerned any biases in its coverage.

NPR leans a little left but has excellent reporting and I've never caught them in a lie.
  #50  
Old 02-14-2017, 12:40 PM
puddleglum puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Nice words-got any examples to show us?
I didn't want to do this because it is reliving bad memories but I went to the NPR home page and found two biased article in the first five articles listed.
Here is a biased article about Adele and Beyonce.
Here is a biased article about Trump and Twitter.

That is not nearly all.
Here is another one.
They are not even trying to hide it. It reminds me of a Seinfeld joke about professional wrestling referees. "They must get these guys from the same place the Harlem Globetrotters get their refs. There must be this whole school where they teach you to just kind of run around and not notice anything. They sit you down, show you a film of the rub-out scene from St. Valentine's Day Massacre, and if you don't see anything illegal going on, you're hired."
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017