The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
Dances with Wolves is one of my favorite movies ever.
Wyatt Earp is superior to Tombstone. And I also enjoy watching The Postman.
Advertisements  
Old 02-08-2017, 11:10 PM

I don't like either [I]Seinfeld[I] or Friends. I will leave the room if anyone puts them on. On the other hand, I love the phony baloney paranormal shows. Much better comedy than the aforementioned series in my opinion.

I can't abide Bob Dylan and think his music is overrated (and that voice! Yikes.). I also think the Beach Boys are a snore, even Pet Sounds. Yet I really enjoy Savage Garden and the various boy bands from back in the day and still listen to them regularly.

I enjoy the occasional Regency Romance.

There. I believe I have embarrassed myself enough for one evening.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
Wyatt Earp is superior to Tombstone. And I also enjoy watching The Postman.
Agreed on Wyatt Earp. Lots of people call "Tombstone" the greatest western ever. But it's just a live action cartoon show. I do dig Kilmer and Biehn of course.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 PM

Not really a confession, but a remark about Breaking Bad and Mad Men, mentioned upthread. I watched a few episodes of each. I recognize and appreciate the writing, acting, and production values. They are definitely very high quality programs. But I just can't deal with such grim, depressing fare anymore. I used to seek out dark, gloomy, unsettling art. I took my user name from a Faulkner character FFS (albeit one of the more heroic ones). Ever read Sanctuary? That's some disturbing shit. But now, I just think, "I have problems of my own." On the rare occasion I have time for TV or a movie or a novel, I don't want to wind up feeling worse than I do on a normal day in my life.

As far as a confession, I dunno. I eat cupcakes with a fork. Some people look at me like I'm a fop when they see me do that. I just hate getting icing in my mustache.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:10 AM

Radiohead peaked with The Bends, and have been going downhill ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Not really a confession, but a remark about Breaking Bad and Mad Men, mentioned upthread. I watched a few episodes of each. I recognize and appreciate the writing, acting, and production values. They are definitely very high quality programs. But I just can't deal with such grim, depressing fare anymore. I used to seek out dark, gloomy, unsettling art. I took my user name from a Faulkner character FFS (albeit one of the more heroic ones). Ever read Sanctuary? That's some disturbing shit. But now, I just think, "I have problems of my own." On the rare occasion I have time for TV or a movie or a novel, I don't want to wind up feeling worse than I do on a normal day in my life.
I had the same experience with Ray Donovan not long ago: I watched the first two episodes, and thought to myself, "This is a well-made show about miserable people who are about to become a lot more miserable. Nothing good is going to come out of this." I have't watched any further.

Mad Men, though, is actually very funny and upbeat at times. You should give it a second chance.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:56 AM

• Silly Love Songs and Wonderful Christmas Time are perfectly fine.
  • There is not a single song by The Rolling Stones, The Who or Dylan that I consider great. A couple of good ones, half a dozen ok ones, and the rest is meh at best.
  • I'm puzzled by adults who obsess over Harry Potter and Star Wars (and I was as much of fan of the latter as any kid born in the mid 70s could be).
  • The last TV series I'm sort of familiar with is Lost. I distractedly watched 10 episodes or so in 2005. I'm vaguely aware of that Game of Thrones thing.
  • I go to the cinema once a year at most. The reason I go is because there's a movie that my daughters want to see.
  • I've spent years looking for a movie that came out around 1987. The reason I'd like to know what it is is that I remember seeing a review in a German teen magazine and one of the pictures showed a very pretty woman with curly blonde hair sitting topless on a bed. At 13, I was very impressed with her... figure. The movie's probably terrible and, 30 years later, I'm much more blasé about boobs but I still want to know what movie it was .
  • I used to read Playboy, but not for the articles.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:48 AM

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing any comic book/superhero movie.

mmm
Old 02-09-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
And what's wrong with that, I'd like to know?
I need to know -- again!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:25 AM

I'm really not a movie person.

I don't like committing myself to a TV series where you're compelled not to miss any episodes. It's one reason why I prefer reality competition shows: Those shows can stand alone, so I don't feel bad if I miss an episode.

I've had Spotify on my phone for the last three months and I've only used it twice. Speaking of which, there must be a corollary between age and listening to certain types of music? I don't meann the "get off my lawn" thing but maybe it has to do with one's hearing?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Rather than confess in a way to throw shade at an icon, I'll try to describe real limitations in my ability to appreciate Cafe Society stuff:

- I am largely self-taught in the various areas of culture I focus on, so my knowledge is all over the place. Huge gaps, and many opinions formed based on limited listening as I poke my nose around music, books, movies, etc.

- I don't like art that makes me feel bad, or focuses on exploring fucked-up emotions. Lordy that sounds immature, but I remember finishing Scorsese's Goodfellas and thinking "man that was brilliant, but I never want to experience that again." I will never forgive David Fincher for Se7en. But I see the art in this type of stuff and know I have cut off vast branches of important art because it pings the wrong sensors too well.

- I hate "Rimbaud-based Artists" - Rimbaud was the child-prodigy French decadent poet, whose mission statement " 'I' is another" was his hand grenade thrown at convention. He explored this in his poetry and his life, having a scandalous homosexual affair with the poet Verlaine, showing up disheveled and messed up on booze and I think laudenaum or opium.

But even Rimbaud got tired of the willful silliness of being a bad boy. He rejected it wholly and became a gunrunner and brilliant businessman/merchant before dying in his 30's of bone (?) cancer.

I wish someone would've told that to the Jim Morrison's and Patti Smith's of the world, and also Robert Mapplethorpe. Break some rules and some of the art is amazing. But i find the posing so tiresome that it becomes impossible to focus on the art.

Meh - ended up throwing shade anyway. I confess.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
I need to know -- again!
Do you need to know again or are you going again?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
I detest Seinfeld.
Its pretty forgetable. There were maybe 8 good moments over years of episodes, yet I remember practically being brow-beaten by co-workers that I had to watch it because it was 'the new Shakespeare'.

Not quite.

Tom Hanks is a good actor, but a question mark for me. Everyone likes his 'meh' movies but there's no real love for his one great one (IMHO).
I've going to factor out "You've Got Mail", "Sleepless in Seattle", and "The Money Pit" because they were basically remakes of the Truly Great Movies (The Shop Around the Corner, An Affair to Remember, and Mr Blandings Dream House).

Joe vs The Volcano... he was goofy and cool... mostly a good movie.
Forrest Gump... not so much.
Apollo 13... interesting but Very dry; it was like watching Watergate Hearings endlessly in the summer of '73.
Saving Private Ryan... very good but not his best (all-star cast).

IMHO, he only had One truly great movie... and it was almost ignored and right now its pretty much forgotten:

Road to Perdition (2002)
(it won Best Cinematography, but that was it.)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
I detest Seinfeld.
Yup, me too. For the life of me I do not understand Larry David's/Jerry Seinfeld's comedic appeal. I hated every single character on that show - despicable people.

I also hated The Big Bang Theory for years but my wife loves it and would watch it regularly. I used to just leave the family room and go find something else to do when she had it on. Then one day I didn't leave and now... I think the show is hysterical.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I wish someone would've told that to the Jim Morrison's and Patti Smith's of the world, and also Robert Mapplethorpe. Break some rules and some of the art is amazing. But i find the posing so tiresome that it becomes impossible to focus on the art.
I completely agree with you on this.

As to "not throwing shade on icons", I think it's more or less unavoidable in threads like this. There's a fine line between legitimately expressing your opinions and unwillingly offending fans. Deliberately starting a flame war is a dick move but one shouldn't have to feel ashamed to express reservations about any artists, including iconic ones, either.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil View Post
I completely agree with you on this.

As to "not throwing shade on icons", I think it's more or less unavoidable in threads like this. There's a fine line between legitimately expressing your opinions and unwillingly offending fans. Deliberately starting a flame war is a dick move but one shouldn't have to feel ashamed to express reservations about any artists, including iconic ones, either.
Yeah, that's true. I just want to clarify my own blind spots on the way to asserting that Jim Morrison is a fool who's signal got lost in all of his bad boy noise.

But, for instance, I hate how my feelings about Goodfellas has kept The Sopranos at arm's length for me. I have seen a few episodes and get the feel of the show, but I didnt invest in it, which given its basic Golden Age of TV importance, feels silly.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's true. I just want to clarify my own blind spots on the way to asserting that Jim Morrison is a fool who's signal got lost in all of his bad boy noise.
That's actually wise, and I wasn't as prudent when I posted my own confession.

Quote:
But, for instance, I hate how my feelings about Goodfellas has kept The Sopranos at arm's length for me. I have seen a few episodes and get the feel of the show, but I didnt invest in it, which given its basic Golden Age of TV importance, feels silly.
Over the years, I've come to think that:

1 - We are all perfectly entitled to like whatever artist we want but we are also free to dislike whatever artist we want, as long as we stay polite.
2 - We all have blind spots and dislikes. It's inevitable. At one point, you just accept that you don't like this or that, no matter how many people tell how great it is. It's sad in a way, but pretending to like stuff you don't really enjoy because millions of people say it's great is much sadder. There's so much stuff to discover - you have to make choices and prioritize things that you consider as valuable, genuine, powerful, moving...
Old 02-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Yes, agreed all around. But some art is worth overcoming your blind spots to at least experience a bit. My Sopranos example fits. I also couldn't appreciate Neil Young's vocals until I was in my 40's and I wish I had pushed myself sooner.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:34 AM

I may have posted this elsewhere somewhere sometime before but I think Iggy Pop's Repo Man is the greatest rock song of all time. It has everything you need in a rock song: nice driving drums, awesome bass work, really good guitar, and lyrics that include drugs and love yet nothing really quite makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFYGW0epaw

Iggy Pop basically put it all together while they were in studio and was backed up by Clem Burke on drums, Nigel Harrison on bass, and Steve Jones on guitar.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:34 AM

I've seen Vertical Limit more than once

...and I'll probably watch it again, someday.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
Everyone I know loves Doctor Who. I have never made it through a single episode, and I have tried.
I watched the very first Dr. Who (from way back in the olden days) and the one from the 70's where The Doctor turned into the version played by the guy with the floppy hat and long striped scarf (too lazy to Google) but I just couldn't get into it. Never bothered to try again.

My favourite band is Duran Duran, but I can't be arsed with anything they did after they broke up and became Arcadia and Power Station. Thank God they reunited for a 25th anniversary tour in 2003 and I got to see all 5 original members together.

Sometimes I eat pizza with a fork & knife.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I like my popcorn with curry powder. I like my hotdogs with peanut butter and sriracha.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM

When my family is out of town and I'm bacheloring it, I will sometimes have meals like:

1st course - bowl of mint chip ice cream
2nd course - two handfuls of dry roasted peanuts
3rd course - McDonalds French fries
4th course - Burger King Whopper
5th course - bowl of corn Chex
6th course - quart of Budweiser
7th course - chocolate brownie
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I have tried to watch Breaking Bad. Seriously, I have. I made it through several episodes but I just don't care!
If you see through what an arrogant asshole WW is and don't fall for the gift-wrap, it's pretty unwatchable.

I love people who hate on Skyler and her endless bitching, whining and histrionics... but never once is she wrong.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:08 AM

I have no deeper interest in music than whatever's playing on the radio. If I don't like a song I change the channel or put in a CD but I don't care enough to seek out new music.

La La Land is pleasant but I don't really get the big deal over it.

I am rarely interested in seeing movies that are centered on (American) minorities. I know how terrible that sounds but it wouldn't be considered a confession if I was proud of it
Old 02-09-2017, 10:09 AM

I generally like sequels more than the originals: Shrek 2, Spider Man 2, etc.

Here's the worst. And come to think of it, I don't think I've ever said this out loud before.

Metallica is my favorite band, but I much much prefer their newer albums (specifically Load and Reload) over their older stuff.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
"Murmur" is my favorite R.E.M. album, and has been since I first heard it a couple weeks after its 1983 release.

The least popular R.E.M. song, per the band's aficionados, is probably "Airportman". I love that song, and always have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28VlDklpidw
Jeez, next you'll claim that Around the Sun is their finest album.

I always liked TLC..what about your friends...
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

My opinion of nationally advertized fast food is pretty poor.

But...

God help me if I'm not being badly tempted by Taco Bell's fried chicken-shell taco right now. I've been seeing these ads and cannot deny the pull toward the sticky floors of the Bell. I know it's shit and the press release reads like a Simpson's script but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:21 AM
SDSAB

I really only like one Rolling Stones song, "Gimme Shelter."

The first couple of seasons of Seinfeld were kinda crappy.

Lady Gaga isn't all that.

Limitless with Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro, on the other hand, obviously should've won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Score.

George R.R. Martin should finish up the damn Game of Thrones books already, and then write a sequel to Tuf Voyaging.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 AM

I've tried but couldn't get into movies and TV shows that so many of you like. Like:

The Princess Bride
Blazing Saddles
Willy Wonka

Dr. Who
Star Trek Voyager

(and all subsequent Star Trek iterations)

But they all get a big meh from me. In particular, I feel I ought to like Dr. Who. I like science fiction, I like British television, I like the writers, but I just don't care for this show.

Let's see, what would embarrass me to admit liking? I like Mollie B's Polka Party - it's so foreign and exotic to me, a Californian, to see polka culture in the midwest. I like to watch hunting shows, and am not put off by seeing animals killed. And I've been watching the reruns of The Lawrence Welk Show that they've been playing lately.

Last edited by teela brown; 02-09-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 AM

I like most disco music. I'm a product of the 70's, plus, as a bass player, some of those bass lines are killer- something that seems to have gone away a bit.

I also feel that hair metal is better than grunge. The hair metal guys seemed to care enough to actually practice and become good musicians. Perhaps a bit too willing to show that off, but still...

Speaking of which- I also love music put out for other musicians. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Stu Hamm and other chopmeisters.

Favorite band- Queen. Not that there's anything to be ashamed about there. Also Rush. Can't stand Dylan, the Doors, Neil Young.

I'm detecting a theme in my post. I come from a listening and performance background of classical music, got into fusion and jazz, then started listening to some rock. The stuff I like seldom has to do with lyrical content or vocals, but more from the level of interesting music behind it. I'm a big fan now of symphonic metal like Within Temptation and Nightwish.

Never saw Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, Mad Men, Sopranos. Not terribly interested.

I'll go out of my way to not watch sports. Waste of time, money and brain capacity. (Probably a reaction to being abused by jocks when I was young. Assholes.)

I like the movie Streets Of Fire. Mostly for the music. I also like the Star Wars prequels.

There's more. I have low tastes.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:38 AM

I love the Brian Herbert Dune books.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:55 AM

I love the blues, acoustic and electric, and almost every artist I respect claims him as a seminal influence, but I don't like Robert Johnson one bit. I have tried and tried and failed.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Well, I've never been shy about giving unpopular opinions here. Some include:

Alien and Gattaca only work if everyone involved is a moron.
The Seinfeld Chronicles was promising, but once it became a regular show, it was terribly unfunny (and Jason Alexander has ruined everything he's ever done).

Ishtar doesn't deserve the scorn it gets. It's not perfect, but much of it is pretty damn funny and a few scenes reach comic greatness.

I don't care much for Tom Petty or CCR, though I can see their popularity. Their songs just leave me cold.

Renaissance was a great group until Annie Haslam joined.

A Midsummer's Night Sex Comedy is one of Woody Allen's best. Most people were confused, thinking it was a comedy. It wasn't -- the title was completely ironic; it's about some very desperate people trying to find connections.

Keanu Reeves is underrated, and made some great movies (though The Matrix isn't one of them).
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 AM

I put ketchup or peanut butter on hot dogs, and I prefer milk chocolate to dark. And I eat pizza crust-first.

Every once in a while, about once in 5-10 years, I buy a bag of circus peanuts. As soon as I put one in my mouth I'm reminded of how vile they are, and I throw the rest out.

Several years ago, it was brought to my attention that I didn't own one song by the Rolling Stones. So I bought Forty Licks, their double "best of" album. There isn't one song that I ever want to hear again.

Of the various Star Trek series, my least favorite is the original (in spite of Leonard Nimoy).

I still occasionally re-read Ayn Rand.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
- I don't like art that makes me feel bad, or focuses on exploring fucked-up emotions. Lordy that sounds immature, but I remember finishing Scorsese's Goodfellas and thinking "man that was brilliant, but I never want to experience that again." I will never forgive David Fincher for Se7en.
Agreed, and that's the reason I avoid all horror films, and most suspense movies. And I worked for months with David Fincher, and I'll also never forgive him for Se7en, nor especially for his behavior.

When I was a kid, Neil Diamond and Gordon Lightfoot made bad music for old people. Now that I'm middle aged, their stuff seems to have improved considerably.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Agreed, and that's the reason I avoid all horror films, and most suspense movies. And I worked for months with David Fincher, and I'll also never forgive him for Se7en, nor especially for his behavior.
Story, please?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:12 PM

so a few...

I will usually eat at Olive Garden once every few weeks, and will enjoy it... same goes for some other generic chain places. i know it's not great food, fine dining, or even remotely authentic, but sometimes it just works.

I am personally obliged to listen to the Guns N Roses song Paradise City as loudly as possible whenever it comes on. Early G'N'R had Zeppelin like potential. I would have given my left testicle when I was 12 years old to be Slash.

Led Zeppelin is the the greatest heavy metal band of all time. you may disagree, but you're incorrect.

I will watch We Bare Bears if I see it on. I don't care who else, if anyone, is home. I am going to be 41 years old next month.

Dumb and Dumber is a damn funny movie. Citizen Kane was meh.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Story, please?
Either he's an ass IRL, or he was taking an enormous chip off each shoulder when he got home from work.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Ahem......

I didn't think Fargo was all that.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:57 PM

I consider myself an adventurous eater, and go out of my way to try local specialties wherever I happen to be, but I am never going to try hakarl, or surstromming, or that flying maggot cheese, or anything else that every single person that has eaten them reports as being beyond terrible.

I am smart enough to learn from the experiences of others, and there is no "foodie card" that needs to get those boxes checked.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
In a similar vein, my favorite artist is Bob Dylan, and I think that Blowin' In The Wind is one of his weakest songs. I once heard a radio interview with Van Morrison in which he was asked about Brown Eyed Girl, and he replied with something like :"What's up with that song? I probably wrote 300 better ones." And he was right, just like Dylan probably wrote 400 better songs than Blowin'.
Blowin' In The Wind isn't important because it's great art. It is known as the anthem of the civil rights movement.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:14 PM

I don't like Led Zeppelin, and I think the guitar work of Jimi Hendrix is just muddy noise.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:36 PM

It ain't pizza without anchovies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlonius View Post
I don't understand musicals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
Does anyone?
Matt and Trey of South Park fame do!

Now get on your knees and put that heart to work....
Old 02-09-2017, 02:50 PM

I should hate these bands, but Nickelback and Linkin Park are two of my guilty pleasures.

I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, and I don't want to.

Harry Potter bores me to death. I couldn't make it past the first book, and I fell asleep during the movie.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore Striker View Post
Led Zeppelin is the the greatest heavy metal band of all time. you may disagree, but you're incorrect.
I've come to two unpopular conclusions in the past couple months after purchasing LZIV on vinyl:

-- It's a better album if you leave of the first two cock-rock tracks. It transforms from a hard-rock/straight-ahead metal into an almost psychedelic metal album with a definite cohesiveness to it. Plus, in that context:

-- Four Sticks is actually good! For some reason it didn't gel with the rest of the album as a whole when Black Dog and r+r were on it. It's still the weakest track but I don't have the urge to skip over it.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:07 PM

I've never seen Starship Troopers.

In fact, I've never seen any of the Godfather movies. I've gotten about 15-20 minutes into the first one, get really bored, and go find something else to do/watch. Don't really care for any sort of mob-related movies anyway.

I hate musicals but I love biopics about musicians, even if I don't particularly care for the musician or his or her work.

I think Bob Dylan is a brilliant poet and songwriter but I cannot stand his music... unless someone else sings it. Same with Tom Petty, Neil Young, and Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins). Their voices just grate my last nerve.

Last edited by Dogzilla; 02-09-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 03:08 PM

Similar to several other posters, I've not enjoyed TV series like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones. I think that my issue is that I don't particularly enjoy darker dramas, where it's hard to find heroic characters (or when they tend to die off, like in Game of Thrones). I can see that they're well-done shows, and well-regarded critically, but they just don't appeal to me.

I tried to watch Game of Thrones (and tried to read the novels, too), as fantasy is right up my alley, but I just couldn't stick with it -- too grim, and any time a character showed up that I actually started to like, something horrible happened to them. Similarly, I really wanted to enjoy Mad Men, since I work in advertising, but after the first season, I realized that I found all of the characters to be simply awful people, and I really didn't care what happened to them.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-09-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
As a young teen, I was waaaaaay too into the song sometimes when we touch. I'm fortunate that my crooning of this tune to my girlfriend didn't drive her away.

Though she still forbids me to sing it in her presence, over 4 decades later. And she's right to do so.

I will sing "Brandy" in front of her, though.
Quote:
Oh Qadgop - oh no.

Brandy I can get behind, but that song? Yeah, that would be cause for revocation of your Man Card.
*Hands WordMan my Man Card*

That's, like, my most favoritest song in the whole world.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
I don't like Led Zeppelin, and I think the guitar work of Jimi Hendrix is just muddy noise.
This reminded me of my other contribution to make to this thread.

I don't enjoy listening to Hendrix (despite playing electric guitar myself). I can absolutely understand why he's generally regarded as the best rock guitarist ever, but I don't like his music.

Similarly, I just don't like Stevie Ray Vaughan (who's also heavily worshipped in the guitarist community). I think that I'm just not a fan of Texas blues.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can I toss Jean-Luc Godard in there as well? I can't find the critic's quote, but a rough paraphrase was "The French New Wave kicked down the stifling walls of the Cinema of Quality, but whereas Truffaut and Rohmer went out to create new experiences with their newfound freedom, Godard stayed behind flailing his legs in the rubble pile." I find much of his post-"Weekend" output is "Hey, look at what a rebel I am. I still haven't sold out, unlike those other guys".

I like Papa John's pizza.

A properly mixed and mastered CD sounds better than any vinyl. "Warmth" is just confirmation bias.