The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-09-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
- I don't like art that makes me feel bad, or focuses on exploring fucked-up emotions. Lordy that sounds immature, but I remember finishing Scorsese's Goodfellas and thinking "man that was brilliant, but I never want to experience that again."
You are exactly describing how I felt about "Pulp Fiction". I have refused to see anything by Quentin Tarantino ever since.

Another one. Grant Hart was NOT the genius behind Husker Du. Bob Mould was.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 02-09-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 02-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
In fact, I've never seen any of the Godfather movies.
I haven't either but one of these days I will.

I watched Jaws, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Trainspotting for the first time recently. All three were on my "I've seen parts, but never the whole movie" list. I admit that I should feel much shame for this.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pábitel View Post
Blowin' In The Wind isn't important because it's great art. It is known as the anthem of the civil rights movement.
I know, I know (though arguably We Shall Overcome was the more important song for the civil rights movement), and I don't question the cultural importance of the song. Of course it was also a crucial song for Dylan's career, indeed his breakthrough, but it's trite and banal nonetheless. But maybe I've only heard it too many times sung and played (badly) by romantic German teenage girls around campfires in the seventies...
Old 02-09-2017, 04:53 PM

I like Mostly Harmless. It's So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish that is the weak link in the "trilogy".
Old 02-09-2017, 04:59 PM

I ate spaghetti with ketchup as a kid, and would do so again (although I won't go out of my way to prepare it).
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Another one. Grant Hart was NOT the genius behind Husker Du. Bob Mould was.
Do most people believe that ? Just check their post Hüsker Dü output, and there can be no doubt about that (though Grant Hart's no slouch either, his Hüsker Dü songs were on par with Mould's).

But maybe it's like the Lou Reed/John Cale thing. I've read some time ago that all the cool kids prefer John Cale to Lou Reed. Sorry, but no, John Cale's ok, but I really never could get into his solo work, while Lou's simply one of the towering figures of rock, and the fact that he had some mainstream hits doesn't change that fact.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
I've never seen Starship Troopers.
Fortunate man. Keep up the good work. And read the book (suspect you already have).
Old 02-09-2017, 05:07 PM

I love the song "Daydream Believer". I also love "Sugar Sugar". There. I said it.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:17 PM

I quite enjoyed Snowpiercer. I've even seen it twice!

ETA: oh, and I think Meryl Streep is highly overrated.

Last edited by White SIFL; 02-09-2017 at 05:18 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUZ MAC View Post
I love the song "Daydream Believer". I also love "Sugar Sugar". There. I said it.
Do not be ashamed. Top 40 rocks!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Back when I was a freshman in high school I wore this t-shirt to school. I thought I was a bad ass.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 02-09-2017 at 06:47 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 06:57 PM

I've finally gotten bored with superhero comic books and don't read 'em any more.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I've come to two unpopular conclusions in the past couple months after purchasing LZIV on vinyl:

-- It's a better album if you leave of the first two cock-rock tracks. It transforms from a hard-rock/straight-ahead metal into an almost psychedelic metal album with a definite cohesiveness to it. Plus, in that context:

-- Four Sticks is actually good! For some reason it didn't gel with the rest of the album as a whole when Black Dog and r+r were on it. It's still the weakest track but I don't have the urge to skip over it.

Four Sticks
is probably my favorite Zep tune. I think it's great.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I like my hotdogs with peanut butter and sriracha.
God help me. I have to try this.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 PM

I eat peanuts with the shells on.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
How?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUZ MAC View Post
I think the Monkees are great. "Last Train to Clarksville" is wistful and evocative (I don't buy the idea that it's an antiwar song, but it's a good about leaving a loved one for whatever reason and trying to have a few last coffee flavored kisses before you never see them again). And "Pleasant Valley Sunday" is a well crafted screed against vacuous materialism. And "I'm a Believer" is just fun. Yeah, yeah, they were a TV creation, not real musicians, whatever. I don't care. However the records came into being isn't my concern. They could have sprouted from holes in the ground for all I care. They're good songs!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 PM

I don't care what it's about or how relevant it may be to current events - "The Handmaid's Tale" was, and is, a terrible book.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
How?
Just pop the whole thing in my mouth.Shells and all. That's why they're salted, right?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I know remarkably little about the vast majority of TV shows, pop music and movies made past 2000 or even a little before that. That isn't some bullshit hipster thing either because I am not one.

I like TV, music and many movies but I just never get around to watching the newer stuff because I would have to sit down and focus and that is usually too much work so the depth of my ignorance on those is astounding.

For instance, I was thinking just the other day that I should watch those "new" movies, The Matrix and Fight Club that I hear so much about. I even own them but have never gotten around to watching them even though I could at any time (it isn't going to be tonight though). Almost everything is like that with few exceptions. I am 43, not 80.
This is a good one, and gave me a confession for the thread:

I'm in my mid-40s and I have zero interest in movies from before 2000 unless I already saw them and loved them. (Fight Club, Reservoir Dogs, etc...) And I'm starting to lose interest in the 2000-2009 movies as well. Something about watching movies that aren't from the current decade just turns me off. (Rolling current, so in 5 years I'll prefer the 2020 and later movies.)

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 02-09-2017 at 09:57 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 10:22 PM

In my opinion, the Spice Girls practically saved top 40 radio. In the early 1990s, there was almost nothing but lousy R&B ballads in the top 40. Think Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men over and over. Finally, when "Wannabe" broke through in 1996 or '97, it felt like pop music was fun again.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post

I'm in my mid-40s and I have zero interest in movies from before 2000 unless I already saw them and loved them. (Fight Club, Reservoir Dogs, etc...) And I'm starting to lose interest in the 2000-2009 movies as well. Something about watching movies that aren't from the current decade just turns me off. (Rolling current, so in 5 years I'll prefer the 2020 and later movies.)
Im the opposite. I live about 8 years in the past. This Lady GaGa person is pretty good amd that Kristin Wiig sure is talented!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
*Hands WordMan my Man Card*

That's, like, my most favoritest song in the whole world.

He can have my Man Card too (though it's far from my favorite song).

Quote:
I pity you, more than any other poster in this thread.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:47 PM

I'm fed up with (and will never buy) substandard, remixed crappy unfinished "New Releases" from The Jimi Hendrix Estate.

Leave that dead horse alone and go get a fucking job. You've supped on the teat long enough.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
He can have my Man Card too (though it's far from my favorite song).
I still get misty over Bill Withers' Lean on Me, so who am I to judge?

Quote:
Hey now. I agree that movies of all ages are essential but this is a confessions thread.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
It could be worse. I could be into the pathetic garbage you're into.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 AM

I didn't enjoy Animal House at all - it wasn't funny and didn't make me laugh; I remain mystified by its popularity and cult status.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I never get tired of hearing "Won't Get Fooled Again." I think it is one of the best rock songs ever.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:18 AM

There are only two good songs on Pet Sounds: "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop John B." I don't get why everyone thinks its The Greatest Album Evar!1!!1!!

I also think Keanu Reeves is a good actor when given half a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I never get tired of hearing "Won't Get Fooled Again." I think it is one of the best rock songs ever.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Last edited by Catamount; 02-10-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
How?
Quote:
Just pop the whole thing in my mouth.Shells and all. That's why they're salted, right?
I knew a girl who would do this, so I tried it one time. It's not really that bad and now I do it because people freak out about it and it's a neat parlor trick. I recommend it.

Quote:

You're like Ms. Cups. I doubt she's ever seen a black and white movie, and even movies from the 80s she has little interest in because they're "old".
Old 02-10-2017, 10:21 AM

I like Brutalist architecture. It's big buildings that look big, as opposed to big buildings that try to look like glass and nothing, which appears to be the only alternative. Of course, I'm also of the opinion that style and design are two separate things, and that representatives any style can be well-designed, so I don't automatically associate any particular style with roof leaks or earthquake damage or similar.

I don't think director's cuts or similar are necessarily the final word on a film. Even when the film was changed by the studio or similar, the fact remains that one of the things which differentiates filmmaking from novel writing or similar is the degree to which it's a collaborative enterprise. Art and economics go hand-in-hand: Without the filmmakers, the studios would not exist; without the studios, the filmmakers would be unable to tell certain stories in the ways they do. The fact novelists are so free is that novelists are only responsible for themselves most of the time, whereas a filmmaker has the careers and livelihoods of thousands of people (makeup artists, CG animators, scriptwriters, editors, boys best and otherwise, grips of all kinds, and so on) hanging on the success of their work product, so it had better be something which isn't likely to go down in flames. If you want creative freedom, go make films in your bedroom again and do without the massive apparatus which depends on the success of your films to continue to employ people.

(Besides, the whole "Art For Art's Sake" concept is a way to keep the working class out of the realms of True Art: If you can't afford to give your job a miss and go off on the woods somewhere to Create unimpeded by Mammon, well, you're just a drone who'll never be Artistic a day in your life. The classism fairly reeks when you look at it the right way.)

Even worse, I'm not inherently and dogmatically opposed to 3D, CGI, special effects, color, sound, novel adaptations, reboots, remakes, or sequels. I'm pretty sure that makes me a rank philistine, and a low-ranking one at that.

"Authenticity" is a construct, and I mean that as an insult: No dish, no article of clothing, no style of music ever survived contact with the outside world unchanged. Hell, cultures don't even survive time unchanged. Further, claiming that authenticity is only and exclusively a property of "unmixed" cultures is a rather neat way to devalue diasporic and border cultures, and a hair away from, you know, outright racism. So, yes, I realize that chop suey comes from San Francisco. Claiming that that makes it "not real Chinese" is rather a slap in the face to the Chinese who also come from San Francisco.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
I didn't think Fargo was all that.
The movie or the series? I liked the movie but didn't find anything hooking me into the series. Maybe I would have been more receptive if it had a different title.

I've never seen Firefly and, at this point, doubt it could live up to the hype.

I've never seen Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad either but now it's more about the oppressive weight of a hundred hours of viewing ahead of me if I started. Amusingly, I still avoid BB spoilers as though I'll get to it some day. I suppose if one day my arms and legs are eaten by a shark, I'll be glad to have prepared.

The one Pratchett book I tried, I didn't care for. I know a bunch of people who share my tastes who like him and I like other works in the same general sphere but the book just left me bored and I never tried another.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I like Mostly Harmless. It's So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish that is the weak link in the "trilogy".
I think the Dirk Gentley novels were funnier and more clever than the Guide books (although I still like and respect the Guide series).

Eating peanuts in the shell is easy. It's the outward trip with the jagged shell fragments that causes the problems.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The one Pratchett book I tried, I didn't care for.
Out of curiosity, which one?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Out of curiosity, which one?
I don't remember the title as it was decades ago. It was set in pseudo-Australia if that's any help.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
When my family is out of town and I'm bacheloring it, I will sometimes have meals like:

1st course - bowl of mint chip ice cream
2nd course - two handfuls of dry roasted peanuts
3rd course - McDonalds French fries
4th course - Burger King Whopper
5th course - bowl of corn Chex
6th course - quart of Budweiser
7th course - chocolate brownie
Can't smoke when the kids are home, eh?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I won't say that Lean On Me is my favorite BW song, but man is he a great singer, I love everything he did.

Last edited by August West; 02-10-2017 at 11:42 AM..
Old 02-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't remember the title as it was decades ago. It was set in pseudo-Australia if that's any help.
Sounds like The Last Continent. Not his best IMHO, and not a particularly good place to start with Pratchett, but typical enough to give you a fair representation of what his writing's like.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Bill Withers has no place in this thread!
Old 02-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Mod Note

Quote:
Quote:
It could be worse. I could be into the pathetic garbage you're into.
This is not the place for a fight, take it to the pit, both of you, if you wish to continue.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:29 PM

I've never seen any Star Wars movie, or any episode of Star Trek. I hate sci fi/fantasy/horror/action/adventure/anything based on a comic book. Despite having a B.A. in Cinema Studies, I think Citizen Kane sucks. I put ketchup on my hot dogs and why yes, I am from Chicago. I don't like the Chicago Cubs and didn't care that they won the World Series. I loathe Jimi Hendrix. The Monkees Greatest Hits is loaded on my iPod and Daydream Believer is their best song. I don't like live music.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Me too!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
You're like Ms. Cups. I doubt she's ever seen a black and white movie, and even movies from the 80s she has little interest in because they're "old".
Would she consider seeing "The Artist" or "Nebraska", both movies from the '10s that were shot in B&W (and "The Artist" is silent to boot)?

If (generic) you don't know, "The Artist" is set in the late 1920s and "Nebraska" in the present day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655442/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 (The Artist)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821549/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (Nebraska)

I should add that "Nebraska" was worth watching just for the cemetery scene. If you've seen it, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 02-10-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Can anybody seriously dispute that?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Sometimes I'll have the Frame Channel on, especially if I'm focussed on the computer.

I think The Shaggs are somehow better than the Kinks, the Band, Allman Bros and "Ryland" Cooder all combined.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Back when I was a freshman in high school I wore this t-shirt to school. I thought I was a bad ass.
Did they make you turn it inside out?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:42 PM

Today I added Tom Jones' She's a Lady to my go-to playlist.

A list that already contains Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again, Naturally and Marty Robbins' El Paso.

mmm
Old 02-10-2017, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

My confession is that I like about 92% of the "OMG, this old hit was horrible" selections in threads like these.

Except for AC/DC.

While I don't consider Titanic to be the best movie of all time, it richly deserved the Best Picture award that year, regardless of any arguments for LA Confidential (a fine film in itself).

Do not care a whit for fantasy, even reading LOTR and liking it didn't make me want to read more. But Harry Potter, and Rowling's use of bad, lazy wordplay, I find especially riddikulus.

Last edited by JohnT; 02-11-2017 at 12:04 AM..
Old 02-11-2017, 12:26 AM

I loved "Downton Abbey", but I did not watch the final episode and don't want to.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:42 AM

Jim Reeves - Drinking Tequila

...and TEA-sin' the girls.......

OOOOOOOOOOOO-HAH!!!!!