Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore Striker View Post
Led Zeppelin is the the greatest heavy metal band of all time. you may disagree, but you're incorrect.
I love, respect and admire the music of Led Zeppelin. But I don't like Kashmir.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 AM

I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad or American Horror Story.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

I prefer Fallon to Kimmel.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:46 AM

I prefer Miracle Whip over mayonnaise.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 07:29 AM

I've never seen a single episode of Law and Order-any variety.
I don't like listening to much of Prince's music because I don't find his voice appealing. I actually prefer Clay Aiken's version of When Doves Cry. (Then again, unlike the poster upthread, I listen to music mostly for the vocals which is why Me and You is my favorite Gaga song).
Old 02-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
I've never seen a single episode of Law and Order-any variety.
I don't like listening to much of Prince's music because I don't find his voice appealing. I actually prefer Clay Aiken's version of When Doves Cry. (Then again, unlike the poster upthread, I listen to music mostly for the vocals which is why Me and You is my favorite Gaga song).
Or, you know, You and I. I actually like that one better.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:50 AM

I never saw Avatar, The Matrix, or ANY of the recent superhero movies.

I just don't care.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Today I added Tom Jones' She's a Lady to my go-to playlist.

A list that already contains Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again, Naturally and Marty Robbins' El Paso.

mmm
Bonus riddle: In El Paso, what was the infraction for which the protagonist was pursued and killed?

I've never seen ET or Star Wars or any of that stuff. Or read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. I am, however, a fan of the Carpenters, especially "Superstar."

http://untilsoon.weebly.com/
Old 02-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I am, however, a fan of the Carpenters, especially "Superstar."
That should be self-evident. The Carpenters are one of the best bands of all time just because Karen Carpenter was the best vocalist.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuauhtemoc View Post
I love, respect and admire the music of Led Zeppelin. But I don't like Kashmir.
You just named my own personal favorite Zeppelin song.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:40 PM

I can't stand coffee. Or any hot drink. The occasional hot chocolate, maybe. Tea? No. My tea better be one degree above the freezing point.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I can't stand coffee.
I don't like it, or ketchup, either, and can detect them in microscopic amounts in food. I will eat things that contain them, but not on purpose.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:24 PM

I don't like ketchup unless it's mixed in with so much other stuff it's just one small note in the entire flavor.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 PM

I am a terrific home cook and make almost everything we eat from scratch, up to and including fresh pasta.

Having said that, there are times when an ingot of Velveeta cheese finds its way into something, specifically in chicken spaghetti. But I'm still making the homemade cream of chicken soup for it.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:16 PM

I've watched The Sopranos all the way through at least four times. The ending of the final episode was perfect.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I've watched The Sopranos all the way through at least four times. The ending of the final episode was perfect.
I totally agree and don't understand all the bitching.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:49 PM

I enjoy lots of different kinds of beer. Craft brews, micro brews, imports, you name it. And Budweiser is fine too. At a cookout on a blazing hot afternoon, a Bud really hits the spot.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I am a nerd and a movie fan, but I don't like Jaws, Blade Runner, The Matrix, 2001 A Space Odyssey, or Jurassic Park.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I never get tired of hearing "Won't Get Fooled Again." I think it is one of the best rock songs ever.
^This.

Wore out a needle & a couple albums of 'Who's Next' in High School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I like my hotdogs with peanut butter and sriracha.
Sometimes when there is a glass of red wine that has been poured a few days & is about to go sour....
I'll dump it into a pot with a pat of butter and three table spoons of peanut butter and bring the whole thing to a slow simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Then I'll pour and stir in red pepper flakes (like the kind to put on pizza?).

I'll slow heat it for 5 more minutes and then pour the mix into a glass jar to cool.

The result is a Super Hot satay sauce that is both sweet and spicy... and will work on anything from hotdogs to re-heated London Broil.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 PM

I enjoyed the final episode of Seinfeld.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bonus riddle: In El Paso, what was the infraction for which the protagonist was pursued and killed?

I've never seen ET or Star Wars or any of that stuff. Or read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. I am, however, a fan of the Carpenters, especially "Superstar."
I can appreciate Karen's voice. And also admire their talent for pop. But they were kind of cheesy. But Superstar is a great song.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I loved "Downton Abbey", but I did not watch the final episode and don't want to.
I finally caught up on all of DA on Amazon (I'd started watching midway through s4). I won't spoil the final episode for you other than to say that now I understand why people say it's evident Jullian Fellowes was losing interest in the series.

Confession: Before Downton I hadn't watched Masterpiece for nearly two decades. I still don't because I'm usually asleep when it airs. Ergo, I'll be watching Victoria on Amazon.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:00 AM

Madonna isn't sexy. (She isn't ugly, either.) She is the plain-looking girl who hung around sexy girls and wants to prove herself. Her looks, music, and schtick are all bland. A buddy once shoved her book of nude photos in my face and all I could think of was that she needed someone to wrap a warm quilt around her, give her a big steaming mug of hot-chocolate with marshmallows and whisper in her ear: "Your not all that . . . . just let it go......"
Old 02-12-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The one Pratchett book I tried, I didn't care for. I know a bunch of people who share my tastes who like him and I like other works in the same general sphere but the book just left me bored and I never tried another.
I'm the same (am surprised that it's taken 132 posts to get round to Pratchett). Have tried a couple of his works: conclusion (pretty much expected) reached, was that I loathed them. Heavy as lead, and the complete opposite of funny. I like a good deal of comic / fantasy stuff; but Pratchett, just no. Compounded by the strong impression received, that he took himself with great seriousness, as the most terrific humorist in history. (In fairness, general picture is got that "in his private and personal capacity", he was a very nice man.)
Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
He shot and killed a handsome young stranger. A foul, evil deed it was.

mmm
Old 02-12-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
He shot and killed a handsome young stranger. A foul, evil deed it was.

mmm
Wrong. That was a duel, fair and square. Not the misdeed for which he met his doom.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:39 PM

I don't like any kind of "hot" spicy food. That means I'm limited to mild peppers, mild chili and mild or sweet salsa. OTOH, I do like anchovies.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:44 PM

I couldn't make it through Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and never even entertained the notion of trying to read it again.

I also think The Hobbit is FAR superior to the other Lord of the Rings books.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Wrong. That was a duel, fair and square. Not the misdeed for which he met his doom.
You're not actually trying to suggest that they sent at least 17 armed men after a guy for horse-theft are you?

Sheriff: We got to get us up a posse and find that hombre
Deputy: Yeah, cain't have people shooting each other down for having a drink with a woman. 'Tain't right.
Sheriff: Naw, don't care none about a dead feller. Sumbitch done stole a horse.

Last edited by Zeke N. Destroi; 02-12-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Er, I think it is you that is wrong. The narrator shot the wild young cowboy for flirting with Felina. Once this evil deed was done, he knew he had to haul ass before he got plugged:

Quote:
Just for a moment I stood there In silence
Shocked by the foul evil deed I had done
Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there
I had but one chance and that was to run

mmm
Old 02-12-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke N. Destroi View Post
You're not actually trying to suggest that they sent at least 17 armed men after a guy for horse-theft are you?

Sheriff: We got to get us up a posse and find that hombre
Deputy: Yeah, cain't have people shooting each other down for having a drink with a woman. 'Tain't right.
Sheriff: Naw, don't care none about a dead feller. Sumbitch done stole a horse.
This reminds me of the old joke in Texas:

Why do they hang horse thieves, but killers go free?
Because no horse needs stealing, but some men need killing.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:16 PM

I loved American Idol. My husband and I both missed having a new season start last month.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Would she consider seeing "The Artist" or "Nebraska", both movies from the '10s that were shot in B&W (and "The Artist" is silent to boot)?

If (generic) you don't know, "The Artist" is set in the late 1920s and "Nebraska" in the present day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655442/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 (The Artist)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821549/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (Nebraska)

I should add that "Nebraska" was worth watching just for the cemetery scene. If you've seen it, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
She very well could. The black and white doesn't bother me, I loved Good Night and Good Luck, but I don't think I would even be interested in those movies. Both looked painfully boring.

This isn't so much a confessional because it's a popular belief, but I couldn't real Lord of the Rings for the life of me because it was sooooooo damn boring.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Compounded by the strong impression received, that he took himself with great seriousness, as the most terrific humorist in history. (In fairness, general picture is got that "in his private and personal capacity", he was a very nice man.)
To his credit, Pratchett took it in good humor when I was second in line at a book signing (my girlfriend at the time was #1, having dragged me there ridiculously early) and responded with "No offense, I'm just here to get a second book signed for her" when he asked me a typical "So what's your favorite book?" style question.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:29 PM

I have not listened to Lemonade.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I have not listened to Lemonade.
Neither have I.

My next confession is that I can't stand Beyoncé.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 PM

If I'm scanning the TV and stumble across Teletubbies, I'm mesmerized until the finish.

I gave it a good try but I can't stand Harry Potter.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:09 PM

While I have a full TV and internet Comcast package I have not had a TV connected in my house since about 2008. Almost all my infotainment is via the net.

I have downloaded many gigabytes of digitized comics over the past several years. The net has given me access to amazing books and stories I would have never known existed otherwise.

I think all the recent Star Trek movies were kind of "meh".

I kind of disliked the three part Hobbit movie on multiple levels but I watched it anyway.

I lost interest along the way in "Breaking Bad", "the Sopranos" and "Game of Thrones" and stopped following them. "Deadwood" and "The Shield" are the only series I watched all the way through.

God I hated M.A.S.H. On so many levels.

I think Keanu Reeves success is due more to his strange male beauty than his acting talent.

Lady Gaga's big bottom and "thickness" is very sexy. Madonna was "glamorous" but I never thought she was really sexy.

I have a very eclectic taste in music but i have almost no idea of top tunes or popular performers unless they are mentioned in news items. I am astounded when a current hit plays on the radio and a woman or man just starts singing along. It's like they did a magic trick.

Last edited by astro; 02-13-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 AM

I have never seen an episode of M*A*S*H. It was the only program we were forbidden to watch when I was a kid; my dad didn't want us to think there was anything funny or entertaining about war, and I've never checked out the program, or the movie, as an adult.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:54 PM

I LOVED the ending of NuBSG.

I actually used to read Maxim for the articles.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 PM

I was one of dr lauras favorite callers on joke day .........

Ok way before she discovered her conservative shtick she was a weekend host on kfi in la and after they dismissed mother love she was the emergency fill in for the 8-12 pm slot during the week

and on holidays shed have "joke day " and id call in with cleaned up jokes (usually reworded by the guy answering the phone after I told him the joke ) it was at the point that when I called in shed say " oh there you are ,... " she offered me free office visits to find out why I was the "most cynical sardonic" teenager shed ever come across off air a few times

a few times she wouldn't get the joke and they'd tell her the original version during the commercials and shed go " oh ok now I get it " bad you ....

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-14-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:45 PM

For some reason I have an image of Dr. Laura's shed. It is full of freeze dried provisions and water purification tablets.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
If I'm scanning the TV and stumble across Teletubbies, I'm mesmerized until the finish.
Try "In the Night Garden", its successor. Freaking addictive, weird-arse nonsense aimed at three year olds. Love it.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I loved "Downton Abbey", but I did not watch the final episode and don't want to.
If I don't watch it, it's not over.....and things work out to my liking. I'm not a big television viewer, and never had patience for serials, until Downton
Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonSignal8 View Post
Try "In the Night Garden", its successor. Freaking addictive, weird-arse nonsense aimed at three year olds. Love it.
Narrated by Derek Jacobi? I'm there, first chance I get; thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 PM

1. I hate "celebrity culture". I don't want to hear about the Jenners or Kardashians. I once paid a good dollar for a used book by Paris Hilton, which was as terrible as you might suppose.

2. ET is not only a terrible movie but the world's worst video game.

3. Although I drink too much diet cola, I quite dislike Diet Coke.

4. Some acclaimed directors do nothing for me -- Peter Greenaway, John Waters...

5. I don't enjoy Bill Maher.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:28 PM

My CD collection (remember those?) runs the gamut from Debbie Gibson, George Michael, and Jimmy Buffett to Cradle of Filth, Deicide, and Gwar).

And Gwar has covers of "Carry On, Wayward Son," "She-Bop," "West End Girls," and "Get Outta My Dreams (and Into My Car)" on YouTube that are all really, really well done. They're all on the AV Club channel.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM

There are times when I watch Lifetime Movie Network movies. They're quite formulaic and the writing and acting both stink, but it's something to have on while I'm reading.

My favorite oldie group is Mouth and MacNeal. Such fun to watch their videos, I don't care if they're lip synching in most of them. Maggie (Sjouke van't Spijker) has an amazing voice and in her youth was gorgeous.

Dylan is the best. There is no comparison, unless you're talking strictly writing and the comparison is to T.S. Eliot.

The Rolling Stones are the best band. What blows me away is how intelligent and articulate each of them is. Youtube videos of Ron Woods' radio shows just impress the hell out of me.

I watch Two Broke Girls just to look at Caroline's legs, much as I'll sometimes flip to a Brady Bunch rerun just to check out Marcia.

The most underrated sandwich is Burger King's Original Chicken. They've got that just right- the spiciness, the amount of mayo, the bun.

The most underrated show right now is Superstore. Love the characters.

Most underrated show of the past is Wings.

I will never watch anything from the Marvel universe, DC is much better.

If it wasn't for the greatness of Godfather I & II, we'd all think III was a decent but not great movie.

Andy Griffith reruns will never get old, but I Love Lucy is unwatchable now.

Andy Griffith was better as Matlock than as Sheriff Taylor, and Dick Van Dyke was better on Diagnosis Murder than the Dick Van Dyke show.

Dallas was the best nighttime drama of all time.

Twin Peaks was the greatest show of all time.

The Disney Channel sucks ass now, it was much better when it showed their classic cartoons.

Grilled chicken is better than grilled steak.

The best fast food burger is McDonald's Double Quarter Pounder.

The best fast food fish was the dearly departed H Salt Fish and Chips.

The Crown was brilliant. Stranger Things sucks.

Best Britcoms were Are You Being Served and Doc Martin.

Bill Maher is a pretentious dick.

Often, the only good sketch on SNL is the opener.

The Atari 5200 is the best gaming console ever.

Bally pinball machines are better than Williams.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 PM

My favorite book is Superfudge.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
My favorite book is Superfudge.
One of my favorite albums is Superjudge.