Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 PM

I agree on as soon as the Disney channel went free it and became nickelodeon 2 I was gone ......

but the Atari 5200 crack .......... wow

and I haven't enough watched of gf3 to make an opinion ....
Advertisements  
Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
There are only two good songs on Pet Sounds: "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop John B." I don't get why everyone thinks its The Greatest Album Evar!1!!1!!
Eh? God Only Knows is the best Beach Boys song ever. I agree that most of Pet Sounds is forgettable, though.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post

but the Atari 5200 crack .......... wow
Everyone knows the Sega Genesis was the best gaming system.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Andy Griffith reruns will never get old, but I Love Lucy is unwatchable now.

Andy Griffith was better as Matlock than as Sheriff Taylor, and Dick Van Dyke was better on Diagnosis Murder than the Dick Van Dyke show.
I have lived in North Carolina my entire life. I have never seen a complete episode of Andy Griffith.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I enjoy lots of different kinds of beer. Craft brews, micro brews, imports, you name it. And Budweiser is fine too. At a cookout on a blazing hot afternoon, a Bud really hits the spot.
Amen.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:19 PM

I started college in 1991 and went through the whole alternative music thing. But the only Radiohead song I've ever had use for was "Creep" (which I understand they grew to hate for how commercial it got).
Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I have lived in North Carolina my entire life. I have never seen a complete episode of Andy Griffith.
I don't even know how that is possible for something that has been in constant syndication for over 50 years. I am not from North Carolina and I think I have seen every episode multiple times at this point. It is a really good show with great depth that still holds up. There are many excellent episodes but I am partial to the (surprisingly few) that feature Ernest T. Bass.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
. . . My favorite oldie group is Mouth and MacNeal. Such fun to watch their videos, I don't care if they're lip synching in most of them. Maggie (Sjouke van't Spijker) has an amazing voice and in her youth was gorgeous.
. . .
Now I not only have an earworm, but a no bra worm as well.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 PM

I don't knowmuch about whiskeys, but I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams because it was on sale, and found it delightful. I just opened my second bottle.

No, not of the day.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
I detest Seinfeld.
For many of the things I enjoy, I can see how others would hate them. This is a great example.

As much as I love Mad Men , I can understand how others might hate it.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Now I not only have an earworm, but a no bra worm as well.
Confession: I owned KTELS "Dynamite" and "Goofy Greats"
Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Owned? I not only owned Goofy Greats in cassette form but I still listen to some of the songs regularly through MP3's. Snoopy versus the Red Baron, Mule Skinner Blues and Ahab the Arab are some of my favorites.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I never get tired of hearing "Won't Get Fooled Again." I think it is one of the best rock songs ever.
O.K., about that...

I think we all KNOW that that is The Best Rock Song Ever, and it was, in my younger days, absolutely obligatory, especially at parties, to crank it up to about 25 and Townshend like mad, flailing at the air guitar and breaking things. We know this. It is inarguable.

However, I'm afraid that leads me to my (gulp) confession...

..oh, God, I'm going to say it...

...The second best rock song ever...is...

"Rebel Yell," Billy Idol. Same procedure.

Last edited by Totenfeier; 02-17-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenfeier View Post
"Rebel Yell," Billy Idol. Same procedure.
I am going to argue with you about that only because Billy Idol rocks so hard it hurts. "White Wedding" may be at least tied.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I am going to argue with you about that only because Billy Idol rocks so hard it hurts. "White Wedding" may be at least tied.
Oh hell yes!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:26 PM

I like ABBA, a lot. Plus a ton of disco in general. I enjoy seeing how it melded with early electronica, Latin-American dance, prog rock, early rap...through italo-disco, new wave and Chicago House, through 90s trance, etc. I don't really comprehend the art of making that kind of music (and I've tried a bit with basic synths and drum machines--I'm just not digital enough I guess ) but I have a huge admiration for those who can perfect it...both as its own art form or for mixing pop songs (even though I think most of the new stuff stinks in general).
Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuauhtemoc View Post
I love, respect and admire the music of Led Zeppelin. But I don't like Kashmir.
I've found it can be a very polarizing song
Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
My CD collection (remember those?) runs the gamut from Debbie Gibson, George Michael, and Jimmy Buffett to Cradle of Filth, Deicide, and Gwar).

And Gwar has covers of "Carry On, Wayward Son," "She-Bop," "West End Girls," and "Get Outta My Dreams (and Into My Car)" on YouTube that are all really, really well done. They're all on the AV Club channel.
Heh, you sound like me! I totally appreciate that ultra-talented glam-black-whatever metal when the guitarist is doing Renaissance-style arpeggios at quadruple speed, although I heartily dislike most of the music itself and certainly the image. But I have a weird fondness for Gwar and Poison and a few others I'll never admit to in person. And George Michael was awesome. And I thought INXS was much more nuanced and talented than U2; too bad they passed on so soon...
Old 02-17-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
I don't knowmuch about whiskeys, but I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams because it was on sale, and found it delightful. I just opened my second bottle.

No, not of the day.
I can't partake anymore (God, I opened way too many bottles, over way too long a time, way too often), but lemme say - once you go Black, you never go back.

P.S.: The Bottled-in-Bond White Label is great too, but the Black is more well-aged and rounded overall, IMHO. And don't let anybody tell you that the 1783 is noticeably better; I just found it more expensive, but YMMV.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 PM

For context, I'm 49-years-and-11-months-old.

-I saw The Wizard of Oz for the first time just four years ago. I hated it. Same with It's a Wonderful Life.
-I didn't have dinner in a sitdown restaurant until my twelfth birthday. I didn't go to a McDonald's until I was seven. Probably related:
-I love most middle-brow chain restaurants (Friday's, Red Lobster, Crapplebees, Olive Garden).
-I prefer bands like The Doobie Brothers to The Beatles, Lou Reed, or Bob Dylan.
-Almost 100% of the time I'd rather stay home and watch TV/stream a movie rather than attending a lecture, seeing a film in the theatre, etc.. I hate 96.5% of the content of my colleagues' poetry readings, especially if they begin at 8p.m.

I'm a Philistine.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad or American Horror Story.
You are not alone.

My true confession... I am reluctant to admit this....well...I read Barbara Cartland novels. Oh, the shame. I've often thought I could write one that nobody could tell was not one of hers, since I read a LOT of them. I guess with this admission I can NEVER look down on the literary tastes of someone else.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Miles Davis’s Bitch’s Brew makes me twitch. Not in a good way. Discordant jazz of all kinds causes me to hastily edge toward the nearest exit.

I accept I am not musically sophisticated.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=BobLibDem;20004967]

The Atari 5200 is the best gaming console ever.

Methyl replies...

I was playing Pengo and Berzerk on my two port last night. Great console tarnished by bad controllers, but if you bought third party controllers, the system and games really shine.

Oh, that's right, this is a confessions thread.

Boyhood, it took twelve years to make. So what. It was boring. BORING. After two hours, I picked up the cover sleeve and realized I had 45 more minutes to go. Screw that. I couldn't take it any longer.

Last edited by Methyl Ethyl Death; 02-17-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: still trying to figure out the quote function
Old 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemenopy View Post
Heh, you sound like me! I totally appreciate that ultra-talented glam-black-whatever metal when the guitarist is doing Renaissance-style arpeggios at quadruple speed, although I heartily dislike most of the music itself and certainly the image. But I have a weird fondness for Gwar and Poison and a few others I'll never admit to in person. And George Michael was awesome. And I thought INXS was much more nuanced and talented than U2; too bad they passed on so soon...
This may be a geographic thing; I'm an Indiana boy, myself.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 PM

I quit watching sitcoms back in the 80s. They were so predictible I couldn't stand it. I have friends who try to get me interested, but I watch five minutes, give them the plot and then they get mad at me.

I still gorge on Fritos sometimes. And jello salads.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:14 PM

I sang "Summer Loving" with my first girlfriend at my wedding in front of my wife's family.

....I'm...not married right now.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Owned? I not only owned Goofy Greats in cassette form but I still listen to some of the songs regularly through MP3's. Snoopy versus the Red Baron, Mule Skinner Blues and Ahab the Arab are some of my favorites.
Please Mr. Custer, I dont wanna go....what's the Indian word for friend? Kemosabe! That's it! KEMOSABE!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
-I prefer bands like The Doobie Brothers to The Beatles, Lou Reed, or Bob Dylan.
I love The Doobie Brothers and I'd listen to them above any of those other bands any day of the week. I must sing along whenever I hear "Black Water."
Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 AM

I loathe 'Friends' and I tried to watch it. I TRIED. I gave it a week, and my attention wandered off as I wondered why it was so unfunny and what the BFD was. Couldn't do it. I loathe each and every one of them, and every time I see Jennifer Anniston's stupid smug face even unto this day I want to punch it.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:24 AM
BANNED

I admit it. I was actually curious to know if that was REALLY Uma Thurman in the MOTO-Z commercial.

I was even going to run a poll:
  • Yes, that's Uma Thurman in the new Moto-Z commercial.
  • No, that cannot possibly be Uma Thurman in the new Moto-Z commercial.
  • Master Pai, I Cannot Tell if that is Uma Thurman in the new Moto-Z commercial! They use the Hitori-Hanzo Film Editor and my Crane-Style Remote Pause Is Just No-Match...!"

The answer, however, has been provided for free... by Yakuza-Tube.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I loathe 'Friends' and I tried to watch it. I TRIED. I gave it a week, and my attention wandered off as I wondered why it was so unfunny and what the BFD was. Couldn't do it. I loathe each and every one of them, and every time I see Jennifer Anniston's stupid smug face even unto this day I want to punch it.
I agree that Friends wasn't a very good show. The biggest problem, as you noted was Jennifer Anniston (as Rachel) and David Schwimmer (as Ross). I have no idea how either of them became big-name celebrities. Both of them are actively annoying and terrible people both on-screen and off. The rest of the cast is fine but you can't drop two turds in punch-bowl and still claim that everything is going Schwimmingly (obligatory dad joke).
Old 02-18-2017, 12:23 PM

My favorite thing about the band Nirvana is that they turned the clothes I'd worn all my life into a nationwide fashion trend.

(I grew up in Western Washington; Cobain grew up in Aberdeen, WA, a logging town, and my grandfather was a logger.)
Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
My favorite thing about the band Nirvana is that they turned the clothes I'd worn all my life into a nationwide fashion trend.

(I grew up in Western Washington; Cobain grew up in Aberdeen, WA, a logging town, and my grandfather was a logger.)
I had a time about 1980 when I was twelve and wore thick flannel shirts and worn out jeans. I still don't know what was my role model back then, I didn't know about Neil Young at the time, but I looked the part. When grunge broke ten years later, about the same time I got into Neil Young, everything suddenly made sense .
Old 02-18-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Miles Davis’s Bitch’s Brew makes me twitch. Not in a good way. Discordant jazz of all kinds causes me to hastily edge toward the nearest exit.

I accept I am not musically sophisticated.
Don't feel bad. I enjoy all sorts of "complex" music, in all sorts of genres, and I love good jazz, but ...

Miles' stuff always just sounded like a bunch of random noodling.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post

I'll argue that the Replacements were doing grunge before Nirvana, but yeah, comfy flannel is a good thing.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Please Mr. Custer, I dont wanna go....what's the Indian word for friend? Kemosabe! That's it! KEMOSABE!
Nope, that isn't it.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I'll argue that the Replacements were doing grunge before Nirvana, but yeah, comfy flannel is a good thing.
Of course they did, like hundreds of other bands in the eighties. Heck, you couldn't get more "grunge" than Neil Young and Crazy Horse did with Rust Never Sleeps, and that was 1978. The big achievement of Nirvana was to bring all that to the forefront, to the mainstream indeed, and with that a load of other "indy" or "alternative" music which was partly very different from that which Nirvana and cohorts did. Many of Nirvana's forebearers only got their deserved recognition after they had broken the market. I remember a headline of Germany's then leading music magazine "Musikexpress" which read "1992: The year that Punk broke". I didn't understand it then, I thought "well, 1977 was the fucking year that Punk broke!", but later I saw that they had been right.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 PM

Also, I've never seen an episode of Firefly.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:31 PM

A lot of The Beatles catalog is utter tripe. Particular some of their 'psychadelic' stuff from Sgt Pepper onwards. If any up-and-coming band had produced 'For The Benefit Of Mr Kite', 'Bungalow Bill' and basically any part of Yellow Submarine' and 'Magical Mystery Tour' they would have been laughed out of the record label office.

Good Beatle songs - very good.
Bad Beatle songs - very bad, man, bad. I mean, real rubbish.

Last edited by Wallaby; 02-19-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 AM

Here are mine:

- I don't like Grease. I don't know if it's because of the songs, the casting (I don't care if most of the actors were the original Broadway cast, they were too freaking old to play high school students), or the way they had Sandy turn all slutty to get Danny's attention. Probably all of the above.

- I used to love those stand-up comedy shows they used to have on network TV in the 80s. Actually, I liked a lot of 80s TV shows that were (and still are) considered dreadful: pro wrestling, I Married Dora, Sledge Hammer!, and, yes, What a Country! I'm not sure what I was thinking as a teenager.

- I was also a major fan of Northern Exposure in the 90s. Even though it may have gone downhill for many viewers earlier on, for me it was when Joel left and that pretentious couple moved in.

- I've never watched Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. I don't like getting fond of characters only to watch them get killed off.

-I like certain songs and dislike others regardless of genre. For example, I'm not a fan of most country songs, but I adore "Jolene" (especially Dolly Parton's original) and "Highwayman" by the Highwaymen. I also like some rap and even one or two dubstep songs, even though most dubstep sounds to me like a garbage truck and a washing machine having violent sex.

- My current favorite anime is "Yuri on Ice" (finally slinks away in embarrassment)

Last edited by Lucky 13; 02-20-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
I've said it on here before, and it's still true: Goofy Greats made me the man I am today. My ideas of what music should be was shaped by it.

I'll watch Starship Troopers over and over again. My wife has learned to commandeer the remote when she notices it's going to be on TV. The same is true with any of The Fast and the Furious movies. I can't help myself, they're so silly.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:13 AM

"Punchdrunk Love' was a shit movie, and is only remarkable because Adam Sandler refrained from doing silly voices and making puerile jokes for 2 hours.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
"Punchdrunk Love' was a shit movie, and is only remarkable because Adam Sandler refrained from doing silly voices and making puerile jokes for 2 hours.
I actually like the movie.

Believe it or not, I can relate to the character on some level. I don't explode like he does, but there have been times where... the pent up emotions I feel take over and I've 'snapped'. His awkwardness around women is just like me.

The time it turns around for him, he punches the map on his office wall and starts crying. After weeping for a brief minute, he picks himself up, accept the reality of his situation, and totally goes outside of his comfort zone to chace the girl to Hawaii, and eventually stand up to the people who are after him.

Robert Ebert said; "Sandler can hit some notes that other actors can't." in reviewing this movie. I think he's right, believe it or not. I believe I read that the role was basically created for Sandler.

That's my defense for it.

Also I love the music, the cinematography great, It's short...
Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 PM

As a teen of the 80s:

- I've never watched The Goonies, and have no interest in doing so. It looks like crap.
- I didn't like any of the 'brat pack' movies: Pretty in Pink, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, etc.
- I absolutely hated Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I also didn't like the 90s 'slacker college grad' movies that were supposedly about my age group, like Singles or Reality Bites, but that's less "confession" and more "join the club".