The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I've only seen Vernon Wells in two movies, but he was utterly over-the-top outstanding in both of them: The mohawk bad guy from The Road Warrior, and the main bad guy "Bennet" from Commando.
Advertisements  
Old 02-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Jimmy Cagney was great at this.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan in The Walking Dead
Old 02-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I know a lot of people here don't like Nicholas Cage and Kevin Costner, but I think there style of acting works well for the movies they star in. Strangely although I usually like Al;an Rickman as a villain, his acting as the sherriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood was so over the top I hated it.

Last edited by furryman; 02-09-2017 at 03:35 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I know a lot of people here don't like Nicholas Cage and Kevin Costner, but I think there style of acting works well for the movies they star in.
I've pretty much lost interest in Johnny Depp's schtick at this point, but I have to admit he was amazing the first time Captain Jack Sparrow swaggered through a scene in best making-it-up-as-he-goes-along fashion, often amused and routinely delivering his lines as if somewhere between "drunken storyteller" and "cocky swindler" -- or, for that matter, "dripping with sarcasm", or "hey, wait; is he actually crazy?"
Old 02-10-2017, 01:18 AM

Peter O'Toole as Henry II in Becket and The Lion in Winter. But in O'Toole's defense, Henry was like that.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrrbazzle View Post
Peter O'Toole as Henry II in Becket and The Lion in Winter. But in O'Toole's defense, Henry was like that.
O'Toole got nominated for an Oscar by playing a scenery-chewing actor -- excuse me; he's not an actor; he's a movie star! -- in MY FAVORITE YEAR.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 AM

You have to admit that Toshiro Mifune chewed a lot of scenery in The Seven Samurai. It was necessary that he did so, as he was trying to bluff and braggadocio his way into the rank of samurai. But he was often over the top even by western standards and got a bit wearing at times.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:41 PM

Brad Dourif has been mentioned, but not in connection with Dune--which is a motherlode of scenery-chewing. Of course that's basically what you get with almost anything by David Lynch.

Ben Kingsley is fully capable of masticating the décor, as he did to good effect in Harold Pinter's Betrayal. Jeremy Irons basically stood back in deference, in that one.

Lost4life mentioned Calculon: Maurice LaMarche is LaMaster of voice work and chews (scenery) magnificently.

And in the Classics division, Herbert Lom's work in the Pink Panther movies deserves mention. He spent a lot of those performances doing the Slow Burn, but he did those slow burns very theatrically.

(My first thought on reading the thread title: Nicol Williamson's Merlin in Excalibur, mentioned upthread.)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post

Ben Kingsley is fully capable of masticating the décor, as he did to good effect in Harold Pinter's Betrayal. ....
Serial offender - Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksiaman View Post
Serial offender - Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast.
Definitely! I'd forgotten that one.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:44 PM

He's no, say, careworn Jon Voight in Coming Home, or a volatile/introspective Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces, but I thought Sid Haig in Star Crash quite memorably ate up every scene like it was a deep-dish pizza dying to get slurped/vacuumed with Wellesian thoroughness.

And, to assure the OP - SH *six trillion per cent* enhanced the film with his formidable presence.

Last edited by Eddie The Horrible; 02-10-2017 at 05:46 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction.
Walken is also in a little B-movie called The Prophecy, in which he plays the angel Gabriel, against Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer. Walken's performance is really over-the-top, but great fun.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
He's no, say, careworn Jon Voight in Coming Home, or a volatile/introspective Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces, but I thought Sid Haig in Star Crash quite memorably ate up every scene like it was a deep-dish pizza dying to get slurped/vacuumed with Wellesian thoroughness.
Jon Voight's an interesting case. Overacting-but-great: Anaconda. Overacting-but-terrible: Ray Donovan.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:29 PM

Not a great movie, but I'll never forget Raul Julia in Street Fighter, playing M. Bison.
After reading this (Cracked Article Link, scroll down to #1), I can't even begin to describe his performance 1/100th as well a Luke Mckinney did, so here's a (very few) quotes from the article.

Quote:
He was known for playing physically slight, foppishly demented lunatics, and was absolutely the worst physical casting choice for psychic crimelord, brick shithouse M. Bison. And he was the only person who knew that.
Quote:
He realized that his very presence meant the whole movie was a pantomime, and thought it was so staggeringly obvious he didn't bother telling his fellow cast.
Quote:
The sets were so cheap because they had to be replaced after he had eaten them in their entirety with every take.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
The other one that come immediately to mind is Brian Blessed
I think you'll find his name is actually BRIAN BLESSED. All caps not optional.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Charlton Heston.
My first thought also, but he's still one of my favourites of all time.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs". Most people are surprised to learn that he was only on screen for 16 minutes total, but he's been a serious ham in other films, as well.
Man he annoys me. He plays the same character in every movie(except for Remains of the Day). He looks out the window or across some vista - and delivers a parable monologue. Fuck your wisdom Anthony.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:12 PM

The OP won his own thread with Brian Blessed in Flash Gordon!

"BRING ME THE REMOTE CONTROL!"

Shit, now I gotta go watch that again tonight.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Walken is also in a little B-movie called The Prophecy, in which he plays the angel Gabriel, against Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer. Walken's performance is really over-the-top, but great fun.
I remember thinking that Viggo acted like he made up his lines in that film...and was gratifyed to later find out that was sorta true.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Jon Voight's an interesting case. Overacting-but-great: Anaconda. Overacting-but-terrible: Ray Donovan.
You can't bring up Jon Voight chewing the scenery without mentioning his role in Runaway Train
Old 02-10-2017, 11:25 PM

No mention of Denzel Washington?
Training Day- "KING KONG AIN"T GOT SHIT ON ME!!"

Malcom X - "WE DIDN"T LAND ON PLYMOUTH ROCK! PLYMOUTH ROCK LANDED ON US!!"
Old 02-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Sir Antony Hopkins in pretty much every scene of his in Westworld.

Also, James Spader as Ultron in "Age of"
Between Spader, Hemsworth, Renner, Bettany, Olsen, Cheadle and Serkis I thought I was watching an all you can eat buffet made from scenery.

Health Ledger as The Joker

Gary Oldman in Leon / The Professional
Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post

Gary Oldman in Leon / The Professional
"Matty. Bring me everyone."
"Everyone?"
"EEEVERRYONNNE!!!!"
Old 02-11-2017, 02:25 AM

Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari in Babylon 5.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:47 AM

No pussyfooting around with Robert Duvall's character in The Great Santini.

Damn that incredible Rene Soutendyk in Spetters and especially The Fourth Man didn't even need to try to chew up any scenery - all she had to do was just simply....be, in each and every frame. That wicked, sparkly-eyed smile would gobble up any scene.

Maybe not the most histrionic performance, but Yul Brynner kinda had a way of sucking all the oxygen out of the room in the original Westworld.

Terence Stamp in The Limey.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:16 AM

Jon Lovitz in A League of Their Own.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Anjelica Huston in The Witches.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Derek Jacobi won a best guest actor Emmy for his over-the-top Hamlet performance on Frasier.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:07 AM

No mention of Charles Laughton? Mutiny on the Bounty? Electrifying.

How about Andy Griffith in A Face in the Crowd?

Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon also come to mind.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
The OP won his own thread with Brian Blessed in Flash Gordon!

"BRING ME THE REMOTE CONTROL!"

Shit, now I gotta go watch that again tonight.
Can I digress with a bried story of why I love that movie so much?

I can even remember the day I saw it in the theater, December 6, 1980. That morning I'd awakened late, too late for an important appointment in another town. It might have made the difference in getting a really good job. I was miserable and grouchy all day long. That evening I went to the movie just to distract myself. When I left I felt great! Sounds crazy, but it was almost impossible not to be in a good mood after that film. I even went again the next day! Blessed was my favorite character too, but I loved just about all of them. Everyone was a scenery chewer. One of my favorite scenes was the one in Ming's bedroom when the slave was serving that green liquor to Dale. Dale asked "Will it make me forget?" and the slave replied "No, but you won't mind remembering."
Old 02-11-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
No mention of Charles Laughton? Mutiny on the Bounty? Electrifying.
Witness For The Prosecution is basically "Well, yeah, but what if Winston Churchill had dedicated his talents to showily pulling off theatrical tricks in the courtroom?"
Old 02-11-2017, 05:13 PM

Brick Top in Snatch

"Do you know what 'nemesis' means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me."
Old 02-11-2017, 05:36 PM

Another one: Ray Liotta. Started off pretty good. Then just became "that guy" you see in every performance.

It works fairly well in Goodfellas. Doesn't work so well for a lot of other things.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:45 AM

Quite correctly there have been several mentions already of Brian Blessed.

I feel it useful to point out that Blessed chews far MORE scenery while being 'himself' - So in, for example, Flash Gordon what you see on screen is actually a toned down, diluted, restrained Brian Blessed. For a better appreciation of the 'full fat' version find any TV interview with him or even read his biography.

TCMF-2L
Old 02-18-2017, 06:50 AM

Still on Brian Blessed.

Coincidentally I just read an anecdote from Brian Blessed regarding the late John Hurt which amused me. I'll add it here.

Blessed recalled John Hurt made his TV debut on the BBC crime drama Z Cars which had Blessed as a policeman. Back then, in the 1960s, the show was broadcast live.

The episode had Hurt as a suspect and the script required eight minutes of tough interrogation. Unfortunately Hurt was so overwhelmed by the occasion (and the bombastic Blessed) he immediately confessed and the BBC had to go to the news five minutes early.

TCMF-2L
Old 02-18-2017, 07:38 AM

James Purefoy as Mark Antony in HBO's ROME was spectacular in every single scene he was in due to the fact that he played Antony with such verve and pomp with ego for days. He was perfect and by God, you couldn't take your eyes off him.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Rod Steiger In The Heat of the Night. That book was made into a movie for Sidney Poiter, one of the hottest actors at the time, and Steiger just totally upstaged him. "I got a motive for the murder and a body that is dead."

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 02-18-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Old 02-18-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Rod Steiger In The Heat of the Night. That book was made into a movie for Sidney Poiter, one of the hottest actors at the time, and Steiger just totally upstaged him. "I got a motive for the murder and a body that is dead."
At that, how big a movie star was Harrison Ford when -- after each STAR WARS movie was the biggest box-office draw of its year, sure as each INDIANA JONES movie was the biggest box-office draw in each of their years -- THE FUGITIVE spent six weeks at #1 on its way to getting nominated for Best Picture?

But it's Tommy Lee Jones who stole every scene and won the Academy Award.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:05 PM

Pacino also goes over the top in some scenes in Heat.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMF-2L View Post
Still on Brian Blessed.

Coincidentally I just read an anecdote from Brian Blessed regarding the late John Hurt which amused me. I'll add it here.

Blessed recalled John Hurt made his TV debut on the BBC crime drama Z Cars which had Blessed as a policeman. Back then, in the 1960s, the show was broadcast live.

The episode had Hurt as a suspect and the script required eight minutes of tough interrogation. Unfortunately Hurt was so overwhelmed by the occasion (and the bombastic Blessed) he immediately confessed and the BBC had to go to the news five minutes early.

TCMF-2L
I like it.

I saw an old episode of The Avengers recently with Brian Blessed, which would have been from about that same era, but I didn't recognize him. It was one of those "I've seen that guy before but I can't remember where" things. You'd think it would be impossible to not recognize BRIAN BLESSED!!, but he wasn't his familiar, bombastic self yet.

I may have also been slightly distracted by a young Charlotte Rampling. (Diana Rigg is not in that episode until near the end.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
But it's Tommy Lee Jones who stole every scene and won the Academy Award.
Speaking of scenery chewing, Will Smith did a fair amount of it in Men in Black, but I thought Tommy Lee Jones owned that movie. The scene where he's interrogating the dog, and plays it absolutely straight, is hysterical.

Last edited by Robot Arm; 02-18-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

What is it about Donnie Wahlberg that he can outstage Tom Selleck on Blue Bloods?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Speaking of scenery chewing, Will Smith did a fair amount of it in Men in Black, but I thought Tommy Lee Jones owned that movie. The scene where he's interrogating the dog, and plays it absolutely straight, is hysterical.
I always figured that Men in Black worked because Smith wasn't the coolest character. In most films, he'd be the too-cool-for-school guy mocking the uptight establishment types, but it's made repeatedly obvious that his clowning around is both counter-productive and betrays how completely clueless he is, while it's Jones (and to an extent Brolin) who knows the score.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Speaking of totally upstaging the star of the movie, Graham Greene does this a lot.
He did it to Val Kilmer in Thunderheart.
He did it to Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves.
He did it to Mel Gibson in Maverick.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Martin Mull not only chews the scenery, he swallows it and poops it out.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
"Matty. Bring me everyone."
"Everyone?"
"EEEVERRYONNNE!!!!"
Dammit, I came into this thread to mention this very scene.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl
Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest.
Faye Dunaway in most of her movies. Eyes Of Laura Mars may have been the chewiest.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I love this movie. Why? Because it's Perfect.
The other movie that's Perfect because every actor was a good actor playing over-the-top scenery-chewing brilliant: The Princess Bride.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

"You're TEARING ME APART!"
Old 02-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Let's not forget Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross; he upstaged Al Pacino, Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey, Jack Lemmon and Ed Harris ffs.
That's five Academy Awards between those men, btw. Only Harris hasn't won one, and he's better than many who have.

In terms of single scene dominance, you show me someone else who just completely stole the movie from five actors of that caliber and still had the movie in his pocket after the scene even though he's not in the movie again.

I think a really interesting question would be who ate the most scenery in an Oscar-winning performance. Denzel in "Training Day, where I think he gained about thirty pounds during the shoot eating parts of the set, is the most egregious example I can think of. Al Pacino devoured a lot of set during "Scent of a Woman," too.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-22-2017 at 02:46 PM..