The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

I heard "Fox on the Run" today by Sweet

Adam Carolla referenced the song on a recent podcast. They played the song...and I knew the song.

Before today, if you had asked me how the song goes, what artist recorded it, or when it was released, I would have said, "I have no idea."

When I got home, I looked up the song and played it. Then I looked up when it was released...1974!

I'm fascinated by this. I have no idea when I heard the song. Was it when I was a kid? (I was five in 1974.) Was it on the classic rock station when I was into that? (The 90s.) I must have heard it several times for it to be so familiar.

How could I know a song so well and yet have no recollection of when I heard it?
Advertisements  
Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 PM

Childhood memories are kinda fuzzy and amorphous. It was some minor hit, so I'm sure you heard it somewhere, but didn't really pay attention.

Or Dope.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Maybe you've seen the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Maybe you've seen the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2?
I haven't, but I think you're on to something. I imagine I've heard it in movies.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:47 PM

Maybe you're a Cheap Trick fan and you thought that was them??
Old 02-10-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
Adam Carolla referenced the song on a recent podcast. They played the song...and I knew the song.

Before today, if you had asked me how the song goes, what artist recorded it, or when it was released, I would have said, "I have no idea."

When I got home, I looked up the song and played it. Then I looked up when it was released...1974!

I'm fascinated by this. I have no idea when I heard the song. Was it when I was a kid? (I was five in 1974.) Was it on the classic rock station when I was into that? (The 90s.) I must have heard it several times for it to be so familiar.

How could I know a song so well and yet have no recollection of when I heard it?
The song was originally released in 1974 but the version that we know in the US was a newer recording made in 1975 and released with the US version of the album Desolation Boulevard. It peaked at #5 but it was ranked 76 at the year's end and spent considerable time on the pop charts. It was extremely popular on both pop and rock radio stations thru the end of the 1970s. I'd say it is extremely likely that it is simply a part of the background noise of your childhood (as is true for millions of people the world over), which is why it was selected for the GotG2 soundtrack. Sooner or later they'll get around to Billy, Don't Be A Hero and The Night Chicago Died too.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-10-2017 at 12:42 AM..
Old 02-10-2017, 01:39 AM

There's an excellent version on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGu6v2OjW8s

Another version is my ringtone, and pretty sure I have 7" vinyl of it somewhere.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
I haven't, but I think you're on to something. I imagine I've heard it in movies.
Prolly the Dazed and Confused soundtrack.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The song was originally released in 1974 but the version that we know in the US was a newer recording made in 1975 and released with the US version of the album Desolation Boulevard. It peaked at #5 but it was ranked 76 at the year's end and spent considerable time on the pop charts. It was extremely popular on both pop and rock radio stations thru the end of the 1970s. I'd say it is extremely likely that it is simply a part of the background noise of your childhood (as is true for millions of people the world over), which is why it was selected for the GotG2 soundtrack. Sooner or later they'll get around to Billy, Don't Be A Hero and The Night Chicago Died too.
All true, but let's be clear about this: it's a stupid-cool song. Loved it around the same time I listened to KISS (the dates line up), but the song is really durable. It got into rotation with my young kids alongside The Beach Boys, Beatles, Ramones and Chuck Berry and held its own for silly rockin' entertainment value.

The (apparently U.S.; thanks Bo) version of Desolation Boulevard totally rocked. SO many good catchy songs. If you don't know it, get it immediately.

Last edited by WordMan; 02-10-2017 at 05:03 AM..
Old 02-10-2017, 05:20 AM

I remember this song, have not heard it in several decades now.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:44 AM

I wonder if the high harmony vocals are the kind of thing that would stick in a 5 year old's head.

I bought Desolation Boulevard when it came out and took the album to a nearby stereo store where I told them I was shopping for a stereo so I could listen to it right away. Why? I don't know. I'm a few years older than the OP but wasn't old enough to always have sensible motivations for the things I did.

Fantastic album. "Are you ready, Steve?"
Old 02-10-2017, 09:18 AM

So that's what that song is called. I totally recognize it. Will add it to my running playlist.

(I thought Sweet was a one-hit wonder with Ballroom Blitz, will have to see what else they do. Thank you!)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
So that's what that song is called. I totally recognize it. Will add it to my running playlist.

(I thought Sweet was a one-hit wonder with Ballroom Blitz, will have to see what else they do. Thank you!)
- Little Willy
- Blockbuster
- Action
- Love is like Oxygen
- No You Don't (covered by Pat Benatar)

So many great songs. I never took to Slade, but I love The Sweet.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM

I forgot all about that Fox on the Run. But not this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pegNpXSTws

Its one of the first bluegrass songs I remember hearing, 1976 or so. Still one of my favorite genres.

Last edited by MikeF; 02-10-2017 at 01:52 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
I forgot all about that Fox on the Run. But not this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pegNpXSTws

Its one of the first bluegrass songs I remember hearing, 1976 or so. Still one of my favorite genres.
How weird. When I saw that you were talking about a bluegrass song, I assumed it was a third "Fox on the Run" besides the Sweet and Manfred Mann ones. But that is the Manfred Mann song. Apparently it somehow got adopted into the bluegrass tradition somewhere along the line.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:32 PM

I bought Desolation Boulevard when it was current and played the hell out of it. Still have it, in fact.

Just learned that only half the band remains aboveground. Drummer Mick Tucker died of leukemia at 54. Lead singer Brian Connolly died of a heart attack at 51.

mmm
Old 02-10-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
"Are you ready, Steve?"
Uh-huh.

Andy?
Old 02-10-2017, 04:03 PM

Fox on the Run was my favorite song in the 5th grade, until I heard Squeeze Box by The Who. Little Willy was my first-ever favorite song, and the compilation album it was on, K-Tel's Fantastic, was, at the time, the greatest Christmas gift of all time (1973).

I'm betting you heard it from Dazed & Confused. One of the songs on the soundtrack, Never Been Any Reason, became one of my faves.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

Andy?
Um-hum.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Um-hum.
Mick?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
Mick?
Okay.
Alright fellas, let's go!

48 crash! 48 crash!
(Oops, wrong artist/song. Let's try this again:}

Oh it's been getting so hard
Living with the things you do to me...
Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Good thread. The other night I was driving home late and a fragment of a song popped into my head. I slowly reconstructed it, line by line, and by the time I was on the home stretch I was (again) singing Eddie Rabbitt's "Driving My Life Away."
Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Another big fan of Desolation Boulevard here, and Give Us A Wink as well. A couple of my favorites not mentioned yet are Sweet FA and Yesterday's Rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Lead singer Brian Connolly died of a heart attack at 51.
Sad story...he pretty much drank himself to death.

Last edited by blondebear; 02-10-2017 at 07:31 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
Okay.
Alright fellas, let's go!

48 crash! 48 crash!
(Oops, wrong artist/song. Let's try this again:}

Oh it's been getting so hard
Living with the things you do to me...
Chapman and Chinn were fucking monster songwriters; I have a huge fondness for their "Can The Can". Lesser known, though, but well worth investigating are Sweet's band-composed B-sides like "Done Me Wrong All Right", which were far heavier than Chapman and Chinn's bubblegum glam, and wouldn't have disgraced the likes of Deep Purple: "Man From Mecca" is a killer hard rock song, and Andy Scott just slays it on guitar.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 PM

I mean, "Burning" is as metal as fuck, it sounds like Black Sabbath covering Led Zeppelin.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Fascinating stuff, Penfeather - I've never dug into Sweet's material. That song Done me Wrong All Right sounds like NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal - Maiden and UFO, to my ear). Burning sound exactly like Zep's Immigrant Song.

Yeah, much heavier with great musicianship.

Last edited by WordMan; 02-11-2017 at 06:50 AM..
Old 02-11-2017, 07:17 AM

That is weird. I had no idea that the bluegrass Fox was a Manfred Mann tune. I always assumed it was traditional. I just saw/listened to MM's live version on Youtube. I think I'll stick with the bluegrass arrangement!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Fascinating stuff, Penfeather - I've never dug into Sweet's material. That song Done me Wrong All Right sounds like NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal - Maiden and UFO, to my ear). Burning sound exactly like Zep's Immigrant Song.

Yeah, much heavier with great musicianship.
I think Sweet never really hit the heights because they were so split in what they did. They just wanted to play hard rock, but their writing and management team insisted they do catchy anthems. So their A sides had the Chinn and Chapman material that everyone knows, but which meant they got written off as shiny lightweights. Their own, much harder stuff was relegated to B sides, which means not many people got to hear it. And by the time they did try to wrest control, Brian Connolly had got his throat kicked in outside a pub and started drinking, and the band were on the slide.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:27 PM

The story is rather a sad one.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 PM

The Sweet came out of the same blues tradition as all the great 60s London outfits, maybe with a little more soul influence.

They couldn't write for shit though and eventually teamed up with 'pop' writing legends Chinn and Chapman. Between them they exploited the whole glam rock thing.

Obv. still solid, pub-honed musicians with genuine heritage.

Contrary to other views, the Sweet had little credibility at any point. Slade were the bollocks, a real working class band, and they wrote their own music - the way they stole the Reading Festival in 1980 is legendary. Sadly no video of that.

Fwiw, I bought my first Slade single in 73
Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
I mean, "Burning" is as metal as fuck, it sounds like Black Sabbath covering Led Zeppelin.
I know that there is always a very fine line between metal awesomeness and self parody, and I'm not quite sure where I should put this, but I think if Spinal Tap had tried a blatant Zep spoof, it would've sounded like this (Immigrant Song, anyone?).

ETA: I grew up with Sweet on the telly in 74-76 when I had barely jumped outta my diapers, and I thought it was the coolest shit second to Suzi Quatro, but I never knew their metal side before this thread.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 02-11-2017 at 06:44 PM..