The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-14-2017, 12:07 PM

Has Cracked ever been humourous?

I read or at least skim through Cracked's articles.

It's amazing to me they consider themselves a humor site.

Lately many of their articles are angry and lecture. Reminds me of a teacher wagging their finger at the students.

Am I missing something? Do you find Cracked humourous or funny?

Here's four current articles. I don't see any satire or humor there. Their podcasts are unwatchable. Imho just inane.

I long for the days of real satire. Mad Magazine could cut to the bone and still be very funny.

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_2...40-characters/

http://www.cracked.com/article_24610...ain-sight.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_24594...d-exploit.html

I quoted from this finger wagging gem. This is on a humor site?
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reason...rrible-people/

Quote:
A funny website filled with funny videos, pics, articles, and a whole bunch of other funny stuff. Cracked.com, celebrating 50 years of
Quote:
Sometime after Chris Brown used his fists to communicate his stunted mental development to Rihanna, Twitter erupted with a veritable glitter bomb of vitriol for the tattooed twat. 
Gotta love the writer's generalization of every pretty girl's character and motives.
Quote:
Pretty girls get drinks at bars all the time regardless of whether they even show interest in a guy. All the attractive guys I knew growing up were up to their eyeballs in ass and a lot of them treated girls like shit. Lucky for me I look like a night terror fucked Winnie-the-Pooh, so I never had that personality problem.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-14-2017 at 12:11 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 02-14-2017, 12:12 PM

Seanbaby has never disappointed me.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:13 PM

I've been reading Cracked since 2008 or so. A few years ago, they were better than that, and some writers, such as Christina H. or David Wong, did have good, insightful thoughts, or non-attacking humor to offer. But they're in the good minority; many other Cracked writers aren't anywhere as reasonable or factual at all. And since three years ago or so, Cracked has basically turned into an SJW attack blog, especially with the likes of Winston Rowntree and so forth.

However- one culprit is also the title editor. Cracked is known to manipulate some titles of their articles to twist and distort. A prime example is how David Wong wrote a very good article titled "6 Reasons for Trump's Rise That No One Talks About." Cracked instead twisted the title into, "How Half of America Lost its F**ing Mind." For proof, look at the URL for the original title.

Last edited by Velocity; 02-14-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Old 02-14-2017, 12:16 PM

Cracked used to be funny, but has become a shrill, scolding (very apt word) site whining about political and social issues crap. I used to visit it daily but for the last 6 months or so it's sucked.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 PM

I vaugely remember the classic Cracked magazines. They were actually funny sometimes.

But I still bought Mad Magazine every month. They were very good in the seventies. I continued buying them throughout the eighties.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-14-2017 at 12:18 PM..
Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Am I missing something? Do you find Cracked humourous or funny?
"SHUT UP! Cracked was NEVER funny!"*

And yeah, it's something I've noticed, and certainly the commenters have noticed, growing over the last few years. And it wasn't always that hardcoreŚwitness an article from seven years back, when illustrious contributor Seanbaby (always good for a humor article on non-serious subjects) takes on a series of somewhat questionable romance handbooks.

Quote:
Jesus, it's like all the evil in the world collected inside this one asshole. I'd like to meet Godek's parents so I can ask them if there were skeletons pouring blood on them when he was conceived. His dark mind ... it's what an abortion would think if it knew what was being done to it. When Godek dies, if that's even possible, it will blast a pyre of insects into the sky to devour all our gods.
...always brings a jack-o-lantern smile to my face. And even if you don't care for that humor, it was clearly going for humor, not just a platform for a lecture.

But, hell, maybe in another ten years, it'll be a wrestling video site.

*That's just a callback to an old-school Cracked magazine feature, "Shut Ups," from when it was still a humor magazine.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

They do have some good stuff on Youtube. I always look forward to a new episode of After Hours or OPCD.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM

I remember Cracked had its own mascot. Just as MAD had Alfred E. Neuman, Cracked had Sylvester P. Smythe.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 PM

Jesus Christ: "Hey, could you pick me up a copy of 'Cracked"'"
Peter Griffin: "'Cracked?!?' Jeeesus Christ, unbelievable."
Old 02-14-2017, 01:10 PM

I think they fell down the well of self-importance. I had some brief dealings with them as a writer, and the pompous-assery was as high as I've ever encountered in thirty-plus years of freelancing. They obviously didn't consider anyone not already on their staff really quite worth bothering with.

(And the truth is that most very tony magazines have very gracious acquisitions editor/contacts, even for evident novices. They might brush you off, but they don't make you feel like a dick for bothering them.)

Their attitude shows on the front page, IMHO.

The move from straight humor to sort of Unca Cecil humorous facting to unfunny diatribes is predictable as well. They're important now, dammit.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 02-14-2017 at 01:12 PM..
Old 02-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Yeah....the "White people you're the worst" angle sometimes seen is grating.

But everyone has already covered what I would have said. Seanbaby, ...After Hours...

I liked how Gladstone would actually respond to comments but he just got more and more bitter...especially when he would be shown to be flat-out wrong on a point and wouldn't admit it.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:39 PM

The site was genuinely great and funny around 2008 when I started reading there, but I think it started to go downhill around 2010-2011, and it really has become a different kind of site over the past 2-3 years (I even did a thread on this here in IMHO a couple years ago). I still read it regularly, but I read a smaller percentage of the articles and think of it more as a news site now.

I don't think their videos have ever been very good, pace a few commenters here. The exception was a series they did featuring Katie Willert that inexplicably ended one day. She was quite good in that.

FJ Sargent has been one of the people that have turned the site into SJW Central.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
The site was genuinely great and funny around 2008 when I started reading there, but I think it started to go downhill around 2010-2011, and it really has become a different kind of site over the past 2-3 years (I even did a thread on this here in IMHO a couple years ago). I still read it regularly, but I read a smaller percentage of the articles and think of it more as a news site now.

I don't think their videos have ever been very good, pace a few commenters here. The exception was a series they did featuring Katie Willert that inexplicably ended one day. She was quite good in that.

FJ Sargent has been one of the people that have turned the site into SJW Central.
Is that the Katie that had a lifetime supply of pudding and it drove the company out of existance??
Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
While I hate the term SJW, in this case, it's accurate.

There's some loser there who keeps posting "I am/was poor and o how horrible my life is/was. And bullies suxxxor! And here's how you need to behave" articles that just set my teeth on edge.

The site stopped being really funny (IMO) about the time they stopped doing the "You Won't Believe These Photos Are Real" feature.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Cracked used to be funny, but has become a shrill, scolding (very apt word) site whining about political and social issues crap. I used to visit it daily but for the last 6 months or so it's sucked.
My feelings, precisely. I still have the app on my phone but I probably haven't opened it in a good 6 - 8 months.

But I have to be honest, I can say the same about my visits to regular news sites like CNN thanks to the political landscape. Would be nice if Cracked could have avoided that pitfall, but alas.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 PM

I was a regular submitter to Photoplasty for about a year, a while back; when I figured out that it was only possible to win twice a year (as I recall), I re-evaluated the amount of time I was devoting to those entries and stopped.

But despite that bitter experience, I still frequently find Cracked funny. I think it really does depend on one's politics: the more progressive you are, the more likely you are to find it genuinely humorous. The more irritated you are by progressivism (a good tell: you use "SJW" as a serious term of opprobrium), the less likely you are to find it funny.

I don't guffaw all the time at their stuff, mind you. They specialize in "snark" and it can be a bit formulaic. But in small doses, I like the site.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
There's some loser there who keeps posting "I am/was poor and o how horrible my life is/was. And bullies suxxxor! And here's how you need to behave" articles that just set my teeth on edge.
John Cheese, I believe? I originally liked them for pointing out some issues about poverty that you might not otherwise consider but I agree that the pony could stand to learn a few new tricks.

Like most everyone else, I remember Cracked being consistently funny back c.2008 -- at least enough so to make reading it a habit. These days I tend to skip the social justice stuff and look for articles on funny video game glitches or film mistakes. Those are rarely laugh-out-loud funny but they don't make me hurt myself via eye-rolling either.

The "Five things you believe about [item] that are totally false" article are maybe the worse; being a collection of things that either (a) no one has believed in a generation of (b) are being misinterpreted or the author is just wrong.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:33 PM

Have not seen them lately, but it always seemed like a second-rate MAD knock-off.

Wasn't there a third mag in that vein as well?
Old 02-14-2017, 03:43 PM

I liked John Cheese, actually. He has a great deal of wisdom about what it is like to be poor in America, and how incredibly difficult it is to pull oneself out of that pit, and how people lecture about "Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps!"
Old 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Have not seen them lately, but it always seemed like a second-rate MAD knock-off.

Wasn't there a third mag in that vein as well?
Oh there were a whole bunch. Offhand I can remember in the 50s/60s Frenzy, Sick, Crazy but there were more too. Mad of course was head and shoulders above the rest. Cracked was its poor cousin but the best of the imitators.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 PM

Some nice covers of the Mad imitator magazines on this collectors' page. There are examples from Panic, Riot, Wild and Flip. The success of Mad had companies falling over themselves to rush out imitations. Most didn't last long!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Hah! That "Riot" cover reminded me of this old classic Strange Adventures cover.

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/p...cs-Science.jpg
Old 02-14-2017, 05:13 PM

They can be funny. Sometimes.

I do like their personal experiences entries. Those can be interesting and enlightening.

I just wish they would lay off the Star Wars/Superheroes crap a little. Jesus, it's getting to be every third column entry now.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Seanbaby has never disappointed me.
This guy is one of the funniest people on the internet, he occasionally writes for Cracked.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Is that the Katie that had a lifetime supply of pudding and it drove the company out of existance??
Yes, haha. Cute, smart, totally hot. She is a talent above the Cracked level, wish she could do more in Hollywood or wherever.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, if anyone proves that such a concept is valid, it is he.
Quote:
Sounds like John Cheese. Yes, pretty downer and annoying stuff.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Just to be fair, we really ought to start using the term "SIW" to describe some of the folks on the other side.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I was a regular submitter to Photoplasty for about a year, a while back; when I figured out that it was only possible to win twice a year (as I recall), I re-evaluated the amount of time I was devoting to those entries and stopped.
That's another change: their Photoplasty columns have greatly increased in number. Gokurosan on all that!

Quote:
But despite that bitter experience, I still frequently find Cracked funny. I think it really does depend on one's politics: the more progressive you are, the more likely you are to find it genuinely humorous. The more irritated you are by progressivism (a good tell: you use "SJW" as a serious term of opprobrium), the less likely you are to find it funny.
I'm Liberal and find myself using "SJW" out of annoyance myself at times. FJ Sargent exemplifies the kind of niggling, prissy Liberalism that drives people to vote for Trump. That doesn't mean I hate everything he writes, but it does tend to be pretty downer and not very humorous or entertaining.

I think only a small fraction of Cracked articles even try to be funny these days. Sure, they try to mix jokes into the serious content, but that doesn't mean it's all that funny overall. At the same time, they do have interesting analysis of stuff on there a lot, including some takes on current events. I find a decent percentage worth reading, but it's not all that "funny haha."
Old 02-14-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Oh there were a whole bunch. Offhand I can remember in the 50s/60s Frenzy, Sick, Crazy but there were more too. Mad of course was head and shoulders above the rest. Cracked was its poor cousin but the best of the imitators.
I'll never forgive Cracked for hiring Don Martin away from Mad. I don't blame Martin, though. William Gaines supposedly screwed him out of royalties for reprinting his work in paperback editions.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I had no idea people disliked it. I've only read it for....2 or so years.

I don't think it is hilarious. I do find the daily lists pretty good. There is usually one per day I enjoy.

It's sometimes funny. Sometimes just interesting.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, if anyone proves that such a concept is valid, it is he.
Sounds like John Cheese. Yes, pretty downer and annoying stuff.
That's the guy!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:00 PM

I guess I'll be contrary and say I still like it. It isn't as silly or trivia oriented as it used to be but it has done some real reporting in guise of humor lists and I have liked it.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Their podcasts are unwatchable.
This made me laugh.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I read Cracked.com a lot. If all you want is humor, go somewhere else. The articles are about information. They have lots of articles about movies and TV and video games and comic books and books and news sources and advertisements and medical issues and interesting little known places and American history and world events and science and unsolved mysteries and legal issues and true crimes and music and many other things. I like the (more or less) monthly series After Hours. I think John Cheese and David Wong are great writers. One of the things I don't like are those weekly podcasts with Jack O'Brien and the other writers.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:46 PM

I've enjoyed John Cheese's articles.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
I read Cracked.com a lot. If all you want is humor, go somewhere else.
How about we first strive for "some"? I don't think that expecting a significant portion humor out of a place that bills itself as a humor site is all that unreasonable.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

That's not what Cracked.com is about anymore. If you want humor, it clearly isn't your thing. Yes, they should quit advertising themselves as a humor website. Some videos on the site are mildly humorous, but it's not the snide, obscene humor that it used to be.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 AM

Has Cracked ever been humourous?

Yes - 45 years ago [faaark!] I would read it in the primary school playground and often had trouble keeping my lunch down, it was so funny. I was 11 at the time, but I'm sure that like fine cellared wine it has only improved.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
That's not what Cracked.com is about anymore.
Welp, that would be the topic of the conversation then, wouldn't it?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Quote:
That's another change: their Photoplasty columns have greatly increased in number. Gokurosan on all that!
I have participated in a number of Photoplasties, and even won a few prizes. They're fun (to me anyway), and the time I spend on entries, I don't consider to be wasted--my Photoshop skills have vastly improved since I began. That's worth it--again, to me, anyway. And it's a nice community in the Photoplasty/Macro part of the forums; people help each other out with what they're trying to portray. I've received a lot of good advice there.

As for the Cracked site itself, I have to agree with Wendell Wagner: it's not all a laugh-a-minute humour site. It is certainly that at times, make no mistake; but at other times, it is thought-provoking, great for trivia-geeks, and an interesting look into worlds one might not otherwise encounter (e.g. such articles as "Working at a Dying Chain Restaurant," "What It's Like to be a Pro Wrestling Referee," and "Realities of Surviving Mass Shootings"). These, I find to be certainly interesting, if not always very humorous.

Perhaps they should tone down the "we're a humour site" stuff, but that's their call. It is what it is, and I still enjoy it.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:43 AM

They're not that type of humor anymore. Just a bit of humor in pop cultury stuff.

And, yeah, they are activists. As they pointed out themselves, that's because their audience skews very much college age.

I have literally no problem with any of the writers there. I actually find it weird that so many people pay attention to who writes what.

My main quibble is that their desire to make intriguing titles crosses over into clickbait way too often. They really would do well to change the model of having someone else make the titles well after the original was published.

I mean, they have an article right now about how BDSM isn't what it is in the movies. Or, that's what the title says. The actual article is about how BDSM isn't as strange as you think it is. They don't actually compare it to movie versions at all.

Well, that and they don't moderate their comments sections, at all. They are just now possibly getting decent spam filtering.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
I find this exchange ironically hilarious.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I've been reading Cracked since 2008 or so. A few years ago, they were better than that, and some writers, such as Christina H. or David Wong, did have good, insightful thoughts, or non-attacking humor to offer. But they're in the good minority; many other Cracked writers aren't anywhere as reasonable or factual at all. And since three years ago or so, Cracked has basically turned into an SJW attack blog, especially with the likes of Winston Rowntree and so forth.
...for those that aren't in the know: three years ago was the birth of goobergate. (Name changed to protect my sanity.) If you don't know what goobergate is: well, read the cracked article on it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things...-hated-person/
http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-ways-g...e-world-worse/

The goobers devastated many online communities. But many websites fought back: and decided they needed to take definitive stand on certain issues. Cracked was one of those sites. You can interpret that as Cracked becoming an "SJW attack blog" if you like: but I don't interpret it in that way at all.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
I find this exchange ironically hilarious.
Care to explain?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I have literally no problem with any of the writers there. I actually find it weird that so many people pay attention to who writes what.
I do that all the time, already. It's the reason I have less E.L. James works on my bookshelf than I have works by S.L. Clemens.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 AM

It's not humour so much, but some of the articles are very interesting.

The podcasts about why many of us fail to achieve our goals, the US justice / prison system and post-apocalyptic fiction were all great.
But other times, yeah, it's so preachy and poorly-researched. It's a shame there's not a more consistent standard.

I find, as a general rule, if it has something like "mind-blowing" in the title, it's likely to be a dud.

As an aside, I got banned almost immediately from their forum. I started a thread about hypothetical propostrous titles for cracked articles, they thought it was trying to make fun of their writers (it wasn't) and banned me with no chance to reply. So yeah, there's that too.

Last edited by Mijin; 02-15-2017 at 06:24 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And yet, IMO, the quality of them has dropped off. It's less actual Photoshop work these days, and more "here's an unedited photo with a paragraph of text on top of it", which more often than not is something that an old Cracked article already reported, or which an old Cracked article declared to be false.

I miss Agents of Cracked.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 AM

I'm pretty much very left-leaning, but a lot of their articles have this horrible 'You're wrong, and I'll tell you why' slant that sets my teeth on edge. David Wong, though talented, writes like this.

It's created a bad atmosphere. I only ever really went there for Swaim.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
As an aside, I got banned almost immediately from their forum. I started a thread about hypothetical propostrous titles for cracked articles, they thought it was trying to make fun of their writers (it wasn't) and banned me with no chance to reply. So yeah, there's that too.
I'm a writer and I've pondered writing stuff for them but didn't for the following reasons:

1. I just don't find myself able to think in their format and tone. I'm fine with calling this a weakness or limitation.

2. The pay sucks.

3. Everything I've read has led me to believe that the editors are massive dicks and working with them is a miserable experience. You have provided another data point in that direction.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
And yet, IMO, the quality of them has dropped off. It's less actual Photoshop work these days, and more "here's an unedited photo with a paragraph of text on top of it", which more often than not is something that an old Cracked article already reported, or which an old Cracked article declared to be false.
Agreed that the Photoplasties are mostly garbage. To build on your point, they are full of "Web facts" that are not new, not interesting but shit that I've read a bunch of times before. They also tend to have that feeling of "dumb people trying to be clever."

Auntie Meme has found a home there. His/her stuff, however, is poor in my view.