The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
They can be funny. Sometimes.

I do like their personal experiences entries. Those can be interesting and enlightening.

I just wish they would lay off the Star Wars/Superheroes crap a little. Jesus, it's getting to be every third column entry now.
Why does a single film created in 1977 overshadow tens of thousands of films created in the years since then? It was a pretty good film, and as a tween in 1977 I really liked it, but to take over society like it has? Star Wars is not all that.
And every other article is about movies. I don't watch too many movies anymore, so those are a turnoff.

But the articles written by people who you would never have the opportunity to hear from are pretty cool (call girl? Guantanamo corrections officer? they have interviewed them).
Other articles get a bit too preachy at times.

But I still check the site every day for the occasional gems.
Advertisements  
Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth View Post
I do that all the time, already. It's the reason I have less E.L. James works on my bookshelf than I have works by S.L. Clemens.
That's different. They don't all write in the same house style. To me, the Cracked writers are all basically interchangeable.

To me, t's like having an opinion on which author of the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew is better. Maybe if you're a superfan, but otherwise?

Last edited by BigT; 02-15-2017 at 08:44 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pork-Chop Express View Post
I'm pretty much very left-leaning, but a lot of their articles have this horrible 'You're wrong, and I'll tell you why' slant that sets my teeth on edge. David Wong, though talented, writes like this.

It's created a bad atmosphere. I only ever really went there for Swaim.
Gawker was horrible about this (esp. Hamilton Nolan) and Gawker 2.0 hasn't changed it.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
I find, as a general rule, if it has something like "mind-blowing" in the title, it's likely to be a dud.

As an aside, I got banned almost immediately from their forum. I started a thread about hypothetical propostrous titles for cracked articles, they thought it was trying to make fun of their writers (it wasn't) and banned me with no chance to reply. So yeah, there's that too.
I find it ironic that Cracked once wrote a column mocking Buzzfeed titles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
Auntie Meme has found a home there. His/her stuff, however, is poor in my view.
My only regret is that they changed the Photoplasties from being on multiple pages to all being on one page. Now it's less obvious when I click on one and immediately back out when I see it's going to be twenty Auntie Meme factoids. I've no idea how they became a regular on there, everything is just a bit of maybe-accurate trivia slapped over an unretouched photo collected via Google Image Search.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
That's different. They don't all write in the same house style. To me, the Cracked writers are all basically interchangeable.

To me, t's like having an opinion on which author of the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew is better. Maybe if you're a superfan, but otherwise?
Eh, back when I used to read trashy D&D novels, I noticed a large variance in quality between authors. Sure, they were all writing about Dragonlance or the Forgotten Realms and often even about the same characters others had written about but some authors just weren't worth reading. If you're reading Cracked on a regular basis, I'd find it weirder if someone wasn't able to tell the difference over time. Of course, being part of a homogenized think-group that blurps out indistinguishable "Ten Reasons Why You're A Super-Racist" articles is nothing to be proud of, either.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 AM
born to be shunned

Way back when I first found the magazine version (mid-60s to early 70s) I actually preferred it to MAD some months and on some topics. This new version strikes me as fast and cheap and not very funny at all. I've hit links when folks have posted something I cam across, such as this OP, but I wouldn't spend a bookmark on the site.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
If you're reading Cracked on a regular basis, I'd find it weirder if someone wasn't able to tell the difference over time.
See, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't expect them to ever look in the first place. There's no one that's so good you want to make sure you read all their stuff, and no one so bad that you want to be sure to avoid everything they do.

I read maybe 10 articles yesterday. I have literally no idea who wrote any of them. It would be like knowing who made my Big Mac.

And that is my metaphor for them--fast food of articles. Only thing of real worth are the things where they talk with real people about unusual jobs or whatever.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
See, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't expect them to ever look in the first place. There's no one that's so good you want to make sure you read all their stuff, and no one so bad that you want to be sure to avoid everything they do.
Don't know what to tell you. I doubt anyone here was making a conscious effort to mentally catalog the writers. Just something you pick up on over time. The writers' names are on the front page with the article title and again on the page itself. I guess some people are just more prone to take in that information.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
As an aside, I got banned almost immediately from their forum. I started a thread about hypothetical propostrous titles for cracked articles, they thought it was trying to make fun of their writers (it wasn't) and banned me with no chance to reply. So yeah, there's that too.
Wow, that is a huge black mark against them in my book. Any site which can't take a bit of ribbing is a site run by insecure assholes. Some of the articles are amusing but the proportion of those is getting less and less.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 PM

I agree that the quality of the site seems to have gone downhill lately.

I do, however, enjoy David Wong and John Cheese's articles. Cheese describes what it is like to grow up in poverty extremely well, especially the psychological effects. I find myself still struggling with the poverty-stricken's attitudes toward money, and he helps to understand why I view things the way I do.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Yeah, I don't agree that the writers on there are interchangeable, though I would say that that is more true than it used to be. Quite a bit more.

Each of the major writers used to have his/her own humorous header with their name, a funny title, and funny cartoon (I can't remember a specific one now ["Drinking with Gladstone" may have been close to one], and I did a Google image search and they all appear to be just *gone*). So they were trying to build up the personalities but for some reason dropped that.

What makes them easy to tell apart, more or less, is the topics they write about. People have mentioned John Cheese writing about poverty. JF Sargent is politics and SJW horseshit, etc. But looking at the names now, it's true I don't see a lot of familiar ones. Luis Prada is one, and I see staff writers like Jack O'Brien and Michael Swaim (who, by the way, is one big reason why their videos are terrible. Why they have held onto his suckitude for years and years is beyond me.).

So, I can kinda see where that opinion comes from if someone hasn't been reading there a long time. A lot of the articles these days are one-off interviews, etc.

Last edited by Aeschines; 02-15-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone have a good alternative?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:45 PM

It's infotainment.

I currently go there every week or two (or 3 ...). Quickly go thru and read a bunch of listicles when I'm killing time.

I avoid podcasts everywhere. Any article about gaming is a definite must miss. (And way too many photo contest type things have gaming references.) The articles from people who actually went thru weird stuff are generally quite good.

Sometimes there's some nice humor in there. Sometimes there isn't.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Each of the major writers used to have his/her own humorous header with their name, a funny title, and funny cartoon (I can't remember a specific one now ["Drinking with Gladstone" may have been close to one], and I did a Google image search and they all appear to be just *gone*). So they were trying to build up the personalities but for some reason dropped that.
I'd forgotten all about that but, by Jove, you're right. They used to each have a very distinctive banner with their name prominently displayed. Christina H's was "Let Me Tell You About My Cats" with a cartoon image of her thrusting a cat at you, for example.

So it's even less weird that long-time readers would have associated the writers with their specific work.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:49 PM

It's gone downhill, and Title Guy is awful, but there's still good authors.

Chris Bucholz is still the god of random insanity, especially his "So you're..." guides.

Zachary Frey and Adam Wears are two new-ish guys who write Old-Style Cracked(TM) type articles. They're active in the comments section, too.

Luis Prada is often good- he's written some stupid preachy SJW stuff, but I find him funny more often than not.

I think Kathy Benjamin's done some good stuff, too.

And of course, Seanbaby still occasionally descends from the heavens to grace us with his presence.

So yeah, it's not as good as it was, but it's not dead yet.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Does anyone have a good alternative?
I've thought about this. I haven't come across another site like Cracked that I visit regularly, but recently I came to the realization that YouTube has become my replacement for the type of humor and listicles and whatnot that I used to enjoy there. I think a lot of that "action" has switched over to video.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
I have participated in a number of Photoplasties, and even won a few prizes. They're fun (to me anyway), and the time I spend on entries, I don't consider to be wasted--my Photoshop skills have vastly improved since I began. That's worth it--again, to me, anyway. And it's a nice community in the Photoplasty/Macro part of the forums; people help each other out with what they're trying to portray. I've received a lot of good advice there. ...
That was my experience, too: I learned a heck of a lot about Photoshop and benefited from Photoplasty/Macro sub-forum. (I feel sort of guilty, now, that I haven't been there in so long). I won a couple of times (back when it was $50, this is. Then I got a couple of 'Position of Honor' placings---last place, which is the first entry viewers see. (Seriously, last place used to be called the Place of Honor by regulars.) I started counting the wins and realized no one was winning more than twice in a 12-month period.

I realize that sounds pretty egotistical and in fact I was NOT all that masterful; I had a few good entries, is all. But I started to think about the number of hours in any given week I was devoting, not only to creating the pics, but to thinking up ideas---and decided it wasn't smart to continue. My hat is off to all who persist (of course those many folks who are more skillful than I can probably do the work in a lot less time than I took.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
And yet, IMO, the quality of them has dropped off. It's less actual Photoshop work these days, and more "here's an unedited photo with a paragraph of text on top of it", which more often than not is something that an old Cracked article already reported, or which an old Cracked article declared to be false.
Very true--the old standards for Photoplasty just aren't there, anymore. But maybe I wasn't the only one looking at the number of hours it would take to submit several complexly-constructed entries each week. (I just did a search of my screenname there and of course those old contests, from roughly 2010 to 2012, are still up, along with my Hungadunga entries. Lots of work from lots of talented people, on those pages.)
Old 02-15-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Care to explain?
Heh. It was a "Gaudere's Law" kind of thing -- the juxtaposition of "this is accurate" with the reversed initials ("FJ" instead of "JF") struck me as funny. Sorry, my post probably came across a lot snarkier than I intended.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 PM

Cracked had a short video series about monsters (a vampire, a werewolf, a witch, and a ghost) seeking representation from a talent agency.

They were the funniest videos I'd seen on the site, and I wanted to post their links. But I can't find them anywhere.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Heh. It was a "Gaudere's Law" kind of thing -- the juxtaposition of "this is accurate" with the reversed initials ("FJ" instead of "JF") struck me as funny. Sorry, my post probably came across a lot snarkier than I intended.
Naw, I just couldn't figger it out!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:57 PM

I forwarded a link to this thread to a very regular Cracked contributor, who, in distillation, said, "meh" and "I'm not going to join this debate because I'll deliberately derail it and troll people".
Old 02-16-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonSignal8 View Post
I forwarded a link to this thread to a very regular Cracked contributor, who, in distillation, said, "meh" and "I'm not going to join this debate because I'll deliberately derail it and troll people".
Cracked promptly posts an article "Five ways you're trolling people, don't realize it and are a horrible person for it."

All this said, I like Swaim, both Katies, DOB, Soren...sometimes Cody Johnston. I liked the girl whose name escapes me who left to join SNL for one season. I like Jack sometimes, the blonde guy with glasses who is nerdy, the guy who does the video game videos with Swaim.

If any of these people are asses IRL...don't care all that much.

But I definitely get that a change has happened

Last edited by Dale Sams; 02-16-2017 at 12:18 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
All this said, I like Swaim, both Katies, DOB, Soren...sometimes Cody Johnston. I liked the girl whose name escapes me who left to join SNL for one season.
Noel Wells. I looked that up out of curiosity, mind you.

Not terribly surprised that a Cracked writer is "meh". Cracked knows what gets clicks and they pay the writers that get them clicks so if less-than-funny articles about social justice or Five Depressing Things You Only Learn By Being a Dental Hygienist pay the bills then why would he care what some SDMB people think?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 AM

I started reading Cracked in 2007 and it was gut-burstingly fun.
It's got too preachy, not funny enough, and repetitive.
They still get a couple of good articles a week and "After Hours" and PCOD are great, but it's been a couple fo years since I got the really good laugh.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I liked the girl whose name escapes me who left to join SNL for one season.
Is that Christina H.? I loved her articles and she hasn't been on that site in ages, I always wondered what happened to her...
Old 02-16-2017, 03:32 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Have not seen them lately, but it always seemed like a second-rate MAD knock-off.

Wasn't there a third mag in that vein as well?
Back in the print days it seemed that MAD magazine was marketed for middle school aged readers but read by elementary school readers who wanted to be cool. Cracked was marketed towards high school and read by middle school. National Lampoon was marketed for college but read by high school.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:11 PM

I went there today and didn't see a humorous article, though I did read some of them.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 PM

When Mad started to flourish, publisher Bill Gaines stuck pins in a voodoo doll representing each of the competing humor magazines that imitated Mad. As each one disappeared he removed its pin. According to writer Frank Jacobs in The MAD World of William M. Gaines, it was probably the only religious rite that Gaines, an avowed atheist, ever observed. When Gaines died, Cracked's pin was the only one left.
Cracked had some risqu humor in its early years--sexy pictures of women like Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield (who, in one article, as "Jayne Womansfield," drove interviewer Mike Wallace to distraction); and pictures such as a woman in a car in a parade tossing her underwear to the crowd; and an article about colleges...a triptik of pictures of cheerleaders went a little too far: in the middle shot the girls' panties have fallen down around their knees, and in the third picture they have fallen off altogether (the girls are wearing those usual short pleated skirts); the girls have shocked expressions as they see the panties fall off and land on the ground!

Last edited by dougie_monty; 02-17-2017 at 05:03 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Wow, that is a huge black mark against them in my book. Any site which can't take a bit of ribbing is a site run by insecure assholes.
That's a bit unfair. There is a huge problem with trolling and assholes (look at the comments on any utube video!), and it's can be very difficult to identify "a bit of ribbing" when it's surrounded by thoughtless destructive sadistic jerks.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...for those that aren't in the know: three years ago was the birth of goobergate. (Name changed to protect my sanity.) If you don't know what goobergate is: well, read the cracked article on it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things...-hated-person/
http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-ways-g...e-world-worse/

The goobers devastated many online communities. But many websites fought back: and decided they needed to take definitive stand on certain issues. Cracked was one of those sites. You can interpret that as Cracked becoming an "SJW attack blog" if you like: but I don't interpret it in that way at all.

Ah the gamergate boogeyman. The ultimate SJW excuse.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:03 AM

And now Cracked is just running advertising in lieu of articles with that VPN thing masquerading as "Three Products Designed To Hide Your Internet Use". You'd think maybe it's three silly and barely effective gadgets but, nope, just ads for three VPN services without even a "sponsored content" warning.

It wasn't even funny, either.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Ah the gamergate boogeyman. The ultimate SJW excuse.
...its not a boogyman. Its what actually happened. And what are my fellow SJW's excusing? Your comment makes no sense at all.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:43 AM

In this context, I'm guessing the excuse is "Cracked isn't funny anymore because of Gamergate."
Old 02-19-2017, 11:25 AM

I honestly still don't get why striving for social justice is a bad thing to begin with.

And I'm not even sure if that's what is meant when SJW gets hurled as an insult anyway. It seems to get used in a way to imply sarcasm like "Nothing's going to change anyway so you're wasting your time Noob" but history would seem to disagree with that.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
And I'm not even sure if that's what is meant when SJW gets hurled as an insult anyway.
While the use of "Social Justice" in the context of this term does seem to imply at least some skepticism of the concept in general, I think the "Warrior" bit is the operative word; with a connotation of zealotry, and/or questionable overdevotion. You know, rather like "Fighter Mafia," or "McMansion," or "God Warrior."
Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie_monty View Post
When Mad started to flourish, publisher Bill Gaines stuck pins in a voodoo doll representing each of the competing humor magazines that imitated Mad. As each one disappeared he removed its pin. According to writer Frank Jacobs in The MAD World of William M. Gaines, it was probably the only religious rite that Gaines, an avowed atheist, ever observed. When Gaines died, Cracked's pin was the only one left.
Cracked had some risqu humor in its early years--sexy pictures of women like Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield (who, in one article, as "Jayne Womansfield," drove interviewer Mike Wallace to distraction); and pictures such as a woman in a car in a parade tossing her underwear to the crowd; and an article about colleges...a triptik of pictures of cheerleaders went a little too far: in the middle shot the girls' panties have fallen down around their knees, and in the third picture they have fallen off altogether (the girls are wearing those usual short pleated skirts); the girls have shocked expressions as they see the panties fall off and land on the ground!
I always remember Cracked as having more realistic art, but not being close to as insisghtful as Mad was. Add to that their near obsession with repeat-ressurecting what was popular in odd mash-ups ("Its Star Wars meets the Six Million Dollar Man".., and now another story about "Jaws!"). They might have a good quip or two, but it was overall felt like lowest common demoninator pandering.

I mean, Mad would make fun of R rated movies that their core audience would have trouble getting in to see, Cracked just stuck with the popular PG set.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
While the use of "Social Justice" in the context of this term does seem to imply at least some skepticism of the concept in general, I think the "Warrior" bit is the operative word; with a connotation of zealotry, and/or questionable overdevotion. You know, rather like "Fighter Mafia," or "McMansion," or "God Warrior."
Its a term reduced to meaninglessness as it has been used against anyone who even shows the slightest bit of empathy for a hate-crime victim or person who suffered from being a minority. Somehow we are supposed to feel bad for feeling sorry for someone who has been a subject of a harassment campaign.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
Its a term reduced to meaninglessness as it has been used against anyone who even shows the slightest bit of empathy for a hate-crime victim or person who suffered from being a minority.
More to it, it's a term intended to get a rise out of people and it still accomplishes that about 100% of the time. Hence its continued use in the face of its "meaninglessness".

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-19-2017 at 05:42 PM..
Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
Its a term reduced to meaninglessness as it has been used against anyone who even shows the slightest bit of empathy for a hate-crime victim or person who suffered from being a minority. Somehow we are supposed to feel bad for feeling sorry for someone who has been a subject of a harassment campaign.

Well, I've more typically seen it applied to sets of people loudly protesting the "cultural appropriation" of a university teaching a yoga class.

In fact, I don't think I've actually seen it popularly applied anywhere near as loosely as, say, "fascist," "feminist," or "nerd," much less "to anyone who shows the slightest bit of empathy."
Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Well, I've more typically seen it applied to sets of people loudly protesting the "cultural appropriation" of a university teaching a yoga class.

In fact, I don't think I've actually seen it popularly applied anywhere near as loosely as, say, "fascist," "feminist," or "nerd," much less "to anyone who shows the slightest bit of empathy."
Post #79.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I honestly still don't get why striving for social justice is a bad thing to begin with.
If you wanted to start a thread on that I think it'd make for interesting reading. I've got some thoughts on the subject but I don't want to derail this thread.

As for the OP: I used to be a regular Cracked reader but it's dropped off a lot lately, the misleading headlines, the "Ugh, white guys, amirite?" tone and the "You're wrong and here's why" aspects are rather off-putting.

Having said that, they do have some excellent stories at time - I really enjoy the "I have an unusual job" pieces they run, and some of John Cheese's early features on being really poor in America were quite enlightening too.

I still stop by semi-regularly but it's no longer my go-to "just stuffing around on the internet" website anymore.