The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 PM

Star Wars: Theories on Rey

My household's been watching a lot of Star Wars lately, and we've been doing a lot of speculating about Eps. VIII and IX, especially on the character of Rey. So who do people say she is? I've heard theories that say she's:

-Daughter of Luke
-Daughter of Han & Leia/Sister of Kylo Ren
-She's a Kenobi
-She's the re-incarnation of Anakin Skywalker ("Luke, are you my father?" "No, you are my father!")

My eight-year-old son and I have been chit-chatting about different possibilities, and one that we both dig right now, as highly-unlikely as it probably is:

-She's the daughter of Ezra Bridger, who may or may not have turned to the Dark Side. We've further come up with the story that Sabine Wren is the love child of Obi-Wan and Duchess Satine Kryze. Sabine was then adopted by Deathwatch as a Mandalorian tot. Sabine and Ezra end up together, and they produce Rey, thus making Rey the granddaughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi, who will ultimately face off against the grandson of Anakin Skywalker.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on Rey? On a side note, I'm really hoping more characters from the TV series make their way into the overall arc. The Clone Wars and Rebels have produced some amazing characters that deserve the big screen treatment (more than just Saw Gerrera).
Advertisements  
Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 AM

I find the Obi-Wan / Sabine / Ezra theory interesting, but I'm doubtful that they would have a major plot point (Rey's parentage) depend on familiarity with two different TV series (even though they're both canonical).

If Rey is *not* the child (or grandchild) of an established character from the older films, I'll be highly disappointed...and, given her connection to Anakin's / Luke's lightsaber, I think it's a fair assumption that she's a member of that bloodline.

I'm going to guess that she's Luke's daughter, with a secondary possibility of her being a grandchild of Anakin (but not Padme), via a liason that wasn't depicted in the Prequels (though that feels cheap to me).

It's possible that she's a child of Leia and Han (though, really, she'd only need to be a child of Leia's), but this seems less likely to me.

Edit: I can't resist saying, "She's not my kid! I swear!"

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-15-2017 at 12:17 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:58 AM

The latest speculation I've read is that she is the granddaughter of Palpatine. Some people come to this conclusion based on a supposed similarity in their techniques with the lightsaber among other things.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/j-kenj...b_9617828.html

Of course no explanation is given as to whether he is a maternal or paternal grandfather or who her parents might be.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 02-15-2017 at 12:58 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 03:23 AM

Chewbacca's daughter. "Brouwar!"

The timeline is all wrong for her to be Darth Maul's daughter. Palpatine is a good guess. If

SPOILER:

Luke ends up being a Sith,

which is what the Internet has been buzzing about for a while now, then that puts her on an equal footing in respect of raw power.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:02 AM

Clone of Padme commissioned by Darth Vader (or the Emperor, as a tool for controlling Darth) - but not completed before the fall of the Empire.

I base this on her physical resemblance to Portman vs any other previous cast member (and, even more, to Keira Knightley...)

Downside to the theory is that Padme wasn't a Force user...

Last edited by MrDibble; 02-15-2017 at 06:03 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 06:11 AM

While the idea of her being an Anakin clone with Anakin's abilities is pretty dumb, at least that would explain her being able to pilot and fight like a trained Jedi.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
While the idea of her being an Anakin clone with Anakin's abilities is pretty dumb, at least that would explain her being able to pilot and fight like a trained Jedi.
But she looks nothing like Anakin...
Old 02-15-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I base this on her physical resemblance to Portman vs any other previous cast member (and, even more, to Keira Knightley...)
I think she looks more like Pernilla August.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:13 AM

I don't know, can't find a photo of a young August smiling - the toothy smile being one key similarity between Knightley, Portman and Ridley.

Last edited by MrDibble; 02-15-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 AM

Apparently this is her, just like this is them.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 AM

If she's the daughter of Han and Leia, then either their memories were erased (maybe this is possible but I don't think it's likely) or they abandoned her (highly, highly out of character).

A daughter of Luke makes a bit more sense, perhaps -- especially if Luke thought she was dead (if Luke had to put her somewhere anonymous, I don't think it would be with such an asshole as Unkar Plutt). Perhaps she was just starting out in training when Ben Solo (perhaps about 15-17 years old) turns to the dark side and becomes Kylo. Kylo and his Knights of Ren (I would presume they are other recruits that he turned) slaughter the rest of the trainees, perhaps while Luke is away for some reason. At the end of the slaughter, Kylo can't bring himself to kill young Rey, his cousin, so he fakes her death and brings her to Jakku, leaving her with the first asshole who has a place for her (Unkar Plutt), perhaps making a vague threat that she must be kept alive or else. When Luke returns, Kylo and his Knights challenge and taunt him. In Luke's fury at the loss of his padawans, and especially the loss of his daughter, he touches the dark side and almost kills Kylo and the Knights, before pulling back from the brink. Feeling the incredible grief of the loss of his daughter and the trainees, as well as fear from how close he came to turning to the dark side, he abandons his efforts to remake the Jedi order and exiles himself.

Of course, this would lead to the question of the identity of Rey's mother -- and the fact that Jedi aren't supposed to procreate.

Well, at least we should find out pretty quickly into the next movie, if it's true that they'll start right where the last one left off.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Good point. More like a reincarnation of Anakin then.

Hey, once we are using magic, biology stops being a factor, right?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The RPG explains this. There, all your skills are based on your stats. So, if you've got a 4 in Agility, you are excellent in both piloting and melee even if your background puts you living in an attic eating fish heads for 20 years. Yes, I'm being silly. This is for the convenience of game design and not meant to explain the movies. But... I've always thought that a lot of the heroes in Star Wars had strangely broad skill sets. Everybody can pilot, repair and shoot whether princess or farm boy. The game seems to reflect this.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 AM

I'm not 100% sure how, but I'm convinced she's a Skywalker.

I believe this because of the 2nd teaser video for The Force Awakens, which is Luke's voice saying "The force is strong in my family. I have it, my Father has it, my sister has it.....you have that power too."

Just a hunch, but I think this quote will actually come to life between Rey & Luke sometime during Ep. VIII - hopefully right after she hands him his lost light saber.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the theory I've heard is that she's a reincarnation of Anakin. That the force knows when it needs balance, so it incarnates The Chosen One at the right time. Anakin and Rey would be the most recent incarnations of the same person that's been bringing balance for thousands of years.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I don't see how this trilogy, which rebooted the saga with an EpVII that echoes EpIV so strongly, could avoid having Rey be a Skywalker. Daughter, reincarnate, clone - whatever works.

Better that she just be a random kid who happens to be strong in da Force and is adopted into the clan than she turn out to be some offshoot that doesn't satisfy some big, central Destiny theme.

Last edited by WordMan; 02-15-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I don't see how this trilogy, which rebooted the saga with an EpVII that echoes EpIV so strongly, could avoid having Rey be a Skywalker. Daughter, reincarnate, clone - whatever works.

Better that she just be a random kid who happens to be strong in da Force and is adopted into the clan than she turn out to be some offshoot that doesn't satisfy some big, central Destiny theme.
My thoughts on this are that Rey will turn out not to be Luke's daughter because it would be too obvious for things to actually turn out that way.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post

They also like plot twists. This is why I think her being a Skywalker (unless it's something crazy like being a reincarnated Anakin) is too obvious.

ETA: What Flik said.

My thoughts on why I think Rey is a Kenobi: It's Obi-Wan who's speaking to her when she has the lightsaber vision, not Anakin*. If Anakin were her relative, why wouldn't he be the one speaking to her when she touched his lightsaber? Plus, and I know it's a minor thing, but her accent. None of the Skywalkers had British accents. Kenobi did. Daisy Ridley kept her British accent for the film, John Boyega (also British) was instructed to lose his accent for the film. So accents apparently matter to the movie makers for some reason.

*This could also be an argument for her being Anakin.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Of course, this would lead to the question of the identity of Rey's mother -- and the fact that Jedi aren't supposed to procreate.
bolding mine

But here's the thing - Luke wouldn't know that. His entire experience with Jedis is a few hours with Obi Wan and however long he was with Yoda. And Yoda was probably too busy training Luke to be his unwitting tool defeat the emperor that they never had time for the finer points of the order.

Plus, even if Luke did know, there is a case to be made that such a rule lead to Anakin's manipulation by the emperor and his subsequent fall to the dark side, and maybe they shouldn't keep that rule.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
My thoughts on this are that Rey will turn out not to be Luke's daughter because it would be too obvious for things to actually turn out that way.
This.. All signs seem to point to it, so I suspect they will subvert that.

The Sabine/Satine theory is really cool, but I agree with kenobi 65. No way they'll lean that heavily on the 2 TV series.

I also agree that Han and Leia should have recognized her, or at least mentioned a daughter if she was theirs. (Something like, "We lost our daughter, it was too much to lose our son too.")

I'd really be OK if she was just some random girl. Daughter of one of Luke's protege's that was killed when Ben became Kylo Ren, or something like that.

Adam driver is 9 years older than Daisy Ridley, if that matters. (And Cailey Fleming, who played Young Rey in the vision is 15 years younger than Ridley.) It's not really clear how long Ben has been Kylo, but if he was responsible for Rey being separated from her parents and/or their deaths, he would have been about 16/17, if the actors' ages are the same as their characters. (as the film was made about 2 years ago) It's a bit young, but it could happen.

Last edited by gonzoron; 02-15-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:23 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Yeah, the theory I've heard is that she's a reincarnation of Anakin. That the force knows when it needs balance, so it incarnates The Chosen One at the right time. Anakin and Rey would be the most recent incarnations of the same person that's been bringing balance for thousands of years.
Hmm. Interesting. That could be.

If I had my druthers, she'd be a Kenobi, or at least unrelated to the Skywalkers. It's a big galaxy and there's no reason everyone has to be kin. It might also be more interesting to learn more about some other anti-Imperial dynasty over the next few movies.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Assuming this is a whoosh, because it's near impossible to think that Ben Solo's parents are Han and Leia.

And there is no way Rey's parents are characters from a cartoon that have not appeared in any of the movies. I think Luke almost has to be the father. Obi Wan was probably too old. Han and Leia would hopefully know if she was their daughter.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
And there is no way Rey's parents are characters from a cartoon that have not appeared in any of the movies. I think Luke almost has to be the father. Obi Wan was probably too old. Han and Leia would hopefully know if she was their daughter.
New major characters get introduced all the time in movies with or without backstory already established. It wouldn't be hard to plug Ezra or whomever into the story in a way that gives enough information about him for someone who has never seen the cartoons before.

In fact there's nothing to say Disney couldn't just introduce a new line of characters (not a Skywalker or Kenobi) into the movies. If it happens to be Ezra (or Ahsoka or Kanan or Sabine or whatever), they just happens to have a backstory already established in the cartoons. Or it could be none of those heretofore established characters, yet moviegoers will still be able to figure things out just fine.

Still, I'm not saying that I think it's likely Rey is Ezra's kid, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't introduce some of these newer characters into the movies. In fact, Ezra's the same age as Luke. They'd both be wise, powerful force users at this time. And since Disney is investing a lot into the Rebels brand, it would make sense to bring at least some of those characters into the new movies.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 02-15-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
bolding mine

But here's the thing - Luke wouldn't know that. His entire experience with Jedis is a few hours with Obi Wan and however long he was with Yoda. And Yoda was probably too busy training Luke to be his unwitting tool defeat the emperor that they never had time for the finer points of the order.

Plus, even if Luke did know, there is a case to be made that such a rule lead to Anakin's manipulation by the emperor and his subsequent fall to the dark side, and maybe they shouldn't keep that rule.
Indeed.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:11 PM

I think she's a character played by an actress named Daisy Ridley.

What do I win?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
See, I'd argue that they're not reincarnations, but more like manifestations. Like say the Force needs to be in balance, so up pops a really Chosen One who's really strong with the Force. But not a literal reincarnation or anything, just a person who has whatever the same essential traits are.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM

If Kylo Ren was a tad older I'd almost say that he's Rey's father.
They never said why he turned to the dark side but it would be eerily similar if he had a wife that died who he didn't know was pregnant and then they sent her off to Jaku to hide her.
They even had him interrogating her ala Darth/Leia with neither's knowledege of the relationship.
"Han Solo! He was like a father to me! You killed him!"
"No Rey, I am your father!"
Old 02-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
They also like plot twists. This is why I think her being a Skywalker (unless it's something crazy like being a reincarnated Anakin) is too obvious.

ETA: What Flik said.

My thoughts on why I think Rey is a Kenobi: It's Obi-Wan who's speaking to her when she has the lightsaber vision, not Anakin*. If Anakin were her relative, why wouldn't he be the one speaking to her when she touched his lightsaber? Plus, and I know it's a minor thing, but her accent. None of the Skywalkers had British accents. Kenobi did. Daisy Ridley kept her British accent for the film, John Boyega (also British) was instructed to lose his accent for the film. So accents apparently matter to the movie makers for some reason.

*This could also be an argument for her being Anakin.
This is one of the reasons I like the idea that she is a Kenobi. It was a mixture of Guinness and McGregor that she heard. Not just Obi-Wan, both actors who played Obi-Wan. And he had the lightsaber for quite some time, so the lightsaber could recognize the bloodline of its former keeper (if not master).

I read an interview with her where she expressed great surprise that it was even a question - she claims it's completely obvious to her from the movie.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:04 PM

Maz Kanata somehow ended up with Luke's saber, so what happened to his hand?

My theory is that there a a bunch of Luke clones (made from his dismembered hand) stashed away on crappy outposts like Jakku, and Rey is one of them.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Maz Kanata somehow ended up with Luke's saber, so what happened to his hand?

My theory is that there a a bunch of Luke clones (made from his dismembered hand) stashed away on crappy outposts like Jakku, and Rey is one of them.
That's an original idea. I'd say clones can't be a different gender, but then the force isn't real, so sure they can.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
That's an original idea.
Is it?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker
Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 PM

Rey is too young to be Kenobi's child. Certainly not with the Duchess, as she'd be older than Luke.

I'm sincerely hoping that she isn't related to any of them, as that universe is entirely too incestuous as it is.

Ezra Bridger is approximately the same age as Luke and Leia. Again, if she was his child, she'd likely be much older.

I'm hoping/expecting she's the child of two of Luke's students, who hid her when they knew the Knights of Ren were hunting them all down. The 'connection' then is that at one point, Ben Solo was a friend of her parents, and then killed them.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

She could be the daughter of a minor character (Wedge, Biggs, Mon Mothma, Admiral Akbar , etc)

Brian
Old 02-15-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I'd say clones can't be a different gender, but then the force isn't real, so sure they can.
Well, the Y chromosome in their sample was damaged, so they had to double up on the Xes. Took them 23 tries to figure that out.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:40 PM

I say there's nothing wrong with going with the obvious. In fact, if she turns out to not be Luke's daughter, I'll be rolling my eyes.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
See, I'd argue that they're not reincarnations, but more like manifestations. Like say the Force needs to be in balance, so up pops a really Chosen One who's really strong with the Force. But not a literal reincarnation or anything, just a person who has whatever the same essential traits are.
That would nicely do Kylo Ren's head in given he has a grand-daddy obsession.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 PM

I'm thinking that she is Leia's daughter...after she and Han split. I don't think it is coincidence that the Falcon is on Jakku, and that there is a settlement on Jakku where Max Von Sydow's character is (who obviously knows Leia) . Also, she has heard of the Millenium Falcon, and she has heard of Han Solo (the Smuggler) before. But she thinks Luke Skywalker is a myth.

The fact that Obi Wan's voice is in the lightsaber sequence I think is irrelevant because Yoda's voice is also heard, and I don't think she could be an offspring of Yoda. (Going out on a limb on that one I know)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 PM

I would prefer if she had no familial connection to anyone we know. Look, there were hordes of Jedi in the pre-Empire days, and a fair number of Force-sensitives even after the Purge. Some people just come up with the Force in their blood - it may tend to run in families, but since the Jedi don't (generally) reproduce, fresh recruits have to come from somewhere.
Also, it's just too...soapy, for her to be the daughter of Luke/Leia/Obi-Wan/Yoda whatever.
I could maybe get along with the theory that she was...generated by the will of the Force, like Anakin - it'd even be cool, if Luke ended up turning. But I'd still prefer her to be the child of some scavengers on Jakku, who got orphaned and abandoned when her parent/s were taken away.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Assuming this is a whoosh, because it's near impossible to think that Ben Solo's parents are Han and Leia.
There's a difference between a child (with consequent genetic mixing etc) and a clone (even one that's been gender-swapped)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:45 PM
SDSAB

Cloning in the SW universe seems sophisticated enough that swapping genders should no problemo.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 PM

What if Rey has no parents? What if she's not even a human, she's just a huge group of midi-chlorians acting together to form a human-like thing?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:05 PM

I hope her parents are nobodies. The idea that every important character has to be related to some high status family is ridiculous and vaguely fascist. Gotta have that good blood to make a difference, I guess. When everyone is related to or knows everyone else it makes the SW universe claustrophobic.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
There's a difference between a child (with consequent genetic mixing etc) and a clone (even one that's been gender-swapped)
Oh, come on. Even Anakin and Vader look nothing alike, so that pretty much tells us what standards we're working from here.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Eh, I actually know a guy who lost his legs, and when he was getting fitted for prostheses, got them to add a few inches to his height. No reason Anakin couldn't have done the same.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 PM

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was; better, stronger, faster, and, like, a couple inches taller, maybe?"
Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

It's so obvious that Luke is her father that if he's not it'll be a major plot twist. Note that hearing the voices of Force ghosts point to Luke: he's the only one who can see or hear them in all of Episodes I-VII.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
I hope her parents are nobodies. The idea that every important character has to be related to some high status family is ridiculous and vaguely fascist. Gotta have that good blood to make a difference, I guess. When everyone is related to or knows everyone else it makes the SW universe claustrophobic.
I understand where you're coming from, but the Star Wars gestalt is monarchial and fascist.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

If Luke is the father, then who is the mother?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:53 AM

"There was no mother...I can't explain what happened."
Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

They're certainly planning something with her parents, given that they made it a point to show them only so vaguely.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Well, I'd like to think that, if Luke is Rey's father, that Luke wouldn't abandon her on Jakku, which would mean that Rey's mom ditched Luke at some point either before or after Rey's birth and then ditched her. So there's a possibility that Rey is a child that Luke never even knew about. Maybe Mom is someone Luke was training who went rogue and left with Kylo when the "Knights of Ren" started up? A little teacher-student dalliance?

I have it! Phasma! She was untalented as a Jedi, so she left Luke and joined the First Order early, rising through the ranks! She's secretly been searching for her daughter while conducting operations on Jakku! It all makes sense now!

Also, Yoda heard Force ghosts in ESB, because of the "there is another" conversation.