The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 AM

What Discontinued Casual Dining Item Would You Bring Back?

In a blatant ripoff of John_Stamos'_Left_Ear thread asking about discontinued fast food items, I ask:

You have the power to persuade a casual dining chain to bring back a discontinued item and have it on their menu again. What do you choose?

I am going with the original Tequila Lime Chicken dish at Applebee's.

It came with the chicken, jack cheese, mexi-ranch sauce, and pico-de-gallo that is still there today. However, instead of rice, it was on a bed of chili-penne pasta, which was actually somewhat spicy*. There was also no lime sauce covering the chicken, which imho, is a bit too tart on the "Fiesta Lime Chicken" (Which I just learned yesterday was changed from "Tequila Lime Chicken", because it was such a popular dish that Applebee's needed to copyright the name).

*A pet peeve of mine is any fast food or casual chain that claims something is "Spicy!" or "HOT!", when they never are
Advertisements  
Old 02-15-2017, 11:04 AM

BTW, does anyone else remember it being on pasta when it debuted- 1997. I think? I can't find any reference to it on the net, and nobody I have mentioned it to seems to remember it.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
*A pet peeve of mine is any fast food or casual chain that claims something is "Spicy!" or "HOT!", when they never are
My favorite one of these was when I ordered buffalo strips at Denny's and the waitress firmly warned me that they were hot. In actuality they don't taste bad but they don't even make my nose run.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:38 AM

I was in line at WaWa recently, and grabbed a box of their spicy chicken chunks while waiting in line. Holy crap, they were actually spicy. I was stunned.

Unfortunately, the chicken itself was subpar, which is odd because their food is usually really good (Sandwiches and whatnot).

I will also give credit to Chick-fil-a for their spicy chicken sandwich, although I have noticed that it seems to be a per-location thing.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Chi-chi's Chicken Soft Taco Diablo. God, I loved those as a kid and I think I would kill someone for a chance to have another.

Of course, with my luck, it wouldn't taste nearly as good as I remember and I would be in prison for the rest of my life.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
My favorite one of these was when I ordered buffalo strips at Denny's and the waitress firmly warned me that they were hot. In actuality they don't taste bad but they don't even make my nose run.
Years ago, we ate at a Long John Silver's. One of the workers asked how I liked their fish. I told them I found them to be very bland. He nodded and said they changed the recipe because people were complaining the older version was too spicy.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

On The Border used to have something called Pico Chicken and Shrimp, which got dropped when they revised their menu a few years ago. For a while they would let me order it even though it wasn't on the menu, but then that stopped too.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Bennigans had my favorite Chicken Quesadillas. They were better than ones I had at Mexican places even.

It wasn't national but Steak & Ale had my favorite Lobster tails. I like the just a bit over cooked and they did it perfect. They also had something called Blackened Chicken Pasta that was addictive. The shame of it was the S&A by me was a goldmine always busy but the parent company went under.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Bennigans had my favorite Chicken Quesadillas. They were better than ones I had at Mexican places even.

It wasn't national but Steak & Ale had my favorite Lobster tails. I like the just a bit over cooked and they did it perfect. They also had something called Blackened Chicken Pasta that was addictive. The shame of it was the S&A by me was a goldmine always busy but the parent company went under.
Bennigan's had the best chicken tenders I have ever eaten. S&A was good all around, and, as you said, a goldmine where I lived. Man, that parent company of both must have made some really, really, bad decisions along the line. Supposedly there is a comeback planned for both restaurants.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

My favorite chicken nugget-type meal was Papa John's tenders, which had the best tasting chicken and best tasting buffalo sauce. However it was around twice as expensive as you'd get at a comparable place (maybe at higher-end restaurants they'd be more if they even offered chicken tenders.) I say "was" because I haven't ordered from PJ in a long time.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 PM

The three-cheese burger at Cheddars. Nothing special, just a burger with 3 kinds of cheese on it. But I looooved that thing.

Also, ironically enough, the cheddar soup from Cheddars. You can't get good cheese soup anywhere anymore...
Old 02-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Can I bring back the entire Bill Knapp's chain?

Knapp's was our family go-to place for a good report card, after/before college football games, promotions, engagements, etc. I loved their homey food.

The one single item I miss is their cinnamon ice cream. It was best, of course, with a slice of warm apple pie.

Runners up were their killer chocolate cake, their au gratin potatoes, and ham and bean soup.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:49 PM

There used to be a restaurant in Winnipeg called Grapes - they had a handful of locations. Their Spinach salad dressing was amazing. I miss it so much.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'm not sure if this counts... we've got a great casual-dining place across the street, they actually just reopened because of a fire, and I haven't been back there yet, but...

They had Turkey schnitzel as a special one time, and I'd love it if that made their regular menu. I'd like it if it made anybody's regular menu.
Join today!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM

The Monterrey Chicken at Chili's. It was a piece of chicken coated with a sort-of glaze and had bacon strips. It was nice and the only thing I ever ordered from there. Maybe I was the only one, because it's gone now.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Speaking of Chili's; what the hell happened to their chili? You used to be able to make a meal out of a bowl and now it's basically chili-ish tasting soup. For that matter, what happening to the curly fries that were perfect for dipping into it?

Every now and then, especially if I'm hungry, I'll drive by a Chili's and my mouth will water and then I'll remember there's nothing there I care to eat any more
Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

The first two that spring to mind are both items from Sizzler: their Hibachi Chicken platter and their original recipe Hot Bacon Dressing at the salad bar. The chicken was the perfect foil to a plate of salty fries. The dressing....ok, I can see why the dressing went away. That item was declared a Public Health Hazard in California decades ago. But it was soooo gooood! You could hear your arteries snapping shut just walking by the salad bar.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

As long as we are bringing entire chains back, I really miss Uno's. Like Quimby 's Steak and Ale, our local Uno's was always packed, and then one weekend we went and it was closed. For a couple of years after that, if we wanted Uno's we'd have to drive into Kansas City, but eventually those closed up too.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Nowadays Outback only sells the pepper crusted prime rib. I wish they still sold the regular prime rib. I have yet to find one at any other restaurant as good.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:30 PM

I think it was Chile's, they used to have a lettuce wrap that was great, and unlike anybody else's lettuce wrap. And it's gone. I used to go there just for that. Since they discontinued it I've hardly gone there at all.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

The new Buffalo Wild Wings (BW3s) hottest wing sauce is just too much. The old Blazin' was hot but within my enjoyment threshold and I'd get it during each visit. The new Ghost Chile Blazin' has taken it to uncomfortable spice levels and I don't order it anymore. I *could* eat a plate of them for a challenge, dare or bet but nothing I want to casually nibble on over a beer and video trivia.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:50 PM

Friendly' use to have a teriyaki chicken sandwich with pineapple that was pretty good and pretty simple. I'm not sure why they took it off the menu.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:52 PM

Steak and Ale had the BEST French Onion Soup. Ooey-gooey and yummy.

When ChiChi's was still around, my husband would dive head first into their seafood fettucine alfredo.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
The new Buffalo Wild Wings (BW3s) hottest wing sauce is just too much. The old Blazin' was hot but within my enjoyment threshold and I'd get it during each visit. The new Ghost Chile Blazin' has taken it to uncomfortable spice levels and I don't order it anymore. I *could* eat a plate of them for a challenge, dare or bet but nothing I want to casually nibble on over a beer and video trivia.
I thought they had different levels of "Hot" sauce? Personally, I like the hot dry rub.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:44 PM

When I was in grad school, a couple of local pubs would have Friday night all-you-can-eat fish and chips for $5. I can eat a lot of fish and chips for $5!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:09 PM

I have to give another shout out for Steak and Ale. Sorry to go off thread, but that place had some good food.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I think it was Chile's, they used to have a lettuce wrap that was great, and unlike anybody else's lettuce wrap. And it's gone. I used to go there just for that. Since they discontinued it I've hardly gone there at all.
Do they have PF Chang's in your neck of the woods? Because their lettuce wraps are sublime.

Anyway, we have a small chain here in Texas called Razoos. I used to LOVE their smothered green beans. But they replace it with just regular green beans.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
I have to give another shout out for Steak and Ale. Sorry to go off thread, but that place had some good food.
I see it's been mentioned a few times in this thread. I'be never even heard of it. Was it regional or is it just long gone?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
I thought they had different levels of "Hot" sauce? Personally, I like the hot dry rub.
They do, but, apparently, they replaced their hottest blazin' sauce with a sauce that has ghost peppers in it. On the menus I'm looking at online, it's still called "blazin." I'm intritgued. I remember blazin' being somewhat disappointing for a top heat-level hot sauce, but I haven' been to BW3 in about five years. (My main issue with them is I almost never got crispy wings.)
Old 02-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Carrabbas has it still listed on their website but no location near me offers the Tag Pic Pac anymore. It's probably the simplest pasta dish they have ever offered, but they can't make it for me if it's not on their active menu. Believe me I have asked.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
They do, but, apparently, they replaced their hottest blazin' sauce with a sauce that has ghost peppers in it. On the menus I'm looking at online, it's still called "blazin." I'm intritgued. I remember blazin' being somewhat disappointing for a top heat-level hot sauce, but I haven' been to BW3 in about five years. (My main issue with them is I almost never got crispy wings.)
I wish a restaurant would make wings like we did after hours when I managed a restaurant. Everyone fries a naked wing, then tosses it in sauce. After hours, we would do the same thing, but them back in the fryer for about 15 seconds. It really caramelized the sauce and made the wing a nice, crispy hot wing, rather than the messy, kind of soggy (Especially the longer it takes to eat them) wing/drummy.

We begged our test kitchen to try it. Their argument was that it fouled the oil, and accumulated too much heat over time. Both good points, but I countered that we could use a separate fryer, and replace the oil every night or so. It was deemed too expensive, and that was that.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 PM

Bennigan's Monte Cristo.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 PM

I miss the Italian Breakfast Club from Eat'nPark!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 PM

The Applebee's Blondie. Best. Desert. Ever. They dropped it, then brought it back but different, now it seems to be gone again.

Dennis
Old 02-16-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Do they have PF Chang's in your neck of the woods? Because their lettuce wraps are sublime.
,,,(
Yes they do, and I do like them. However, I liked Chile's better, and I like other things better at PF Chang.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
The Applebee's Blondie. Best. Desert. Ever. They dropped it, then brought it back but different, now it seems to be gone again.

Dennis
Oh nooooooooo.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 AM

Olive Garden used to carry Chicken Alfredo Pizza. They stopped so I went to Chicken Caesar Salad. They stopped that, too. What's a poor boy to do?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I see it's been mentioned a few times in this thread. I'be never even heard of it. Was it regional or is it just long gone?
I think it may have only been in the northeast. There were a couple in NJ that I frequented and every one of them was busy. It has been gone a while now as well. I think they went away in the mid 2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
Bennigan's Monte Cristo.

I almost included this in my post but couldn't remember the name of it. How could you go wrong dipping an entire sandwich in batter and deep frying it?

Last edited by Quimby; 02-16-2017 at 03:03 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 PM

This may not quite qualify, but we used to have a local bar/restaurant called Ol' Sweig's. My parents and grandparents took me there from the time I was a baby. It closed sometime in the 80's and I miss it. They had the BEST fried chicken in the world, bar none. After all these years, I can still remember the taste of that chicken.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I think it may have only been in the northeast. There were a couple in NJ that I frequented and every one of them was busy. It has been gone a while now as well. I think they went away in the mid 2000s.
We had Steak and Ale in Florida. At one time they were owned by the same company that owns Bennigan's.

According to Wikipedia, they're coming back in 2017!

I have noticed that restaurants owned by the same company seem to be built close to each other. In my small(ish) town Red Lobster is next to Olive Garden (this was before Darden sold off Red Lobster) and Outback is across the road from Carrabba's.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Bennigan's Monte Cristo.
Came in to say this. Then thought I look up Bennigans. I didn't think they even existed any more. But they do, and the menu does have the Monte.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I think they were only regional and they shut down ages ago, I remember I was very surprised they closed. Sorry, I'm not much help, maybe another doper has more specific details.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Came in to say this. Then thought I look up Bennigans. I didn't think they even existed any more. But they do, and the menu does have the Monte.
Most Bennigan's near me have closed which is sad because that monte cristo sandwich was so delicious!
Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Bennigan's Monte Cristo.
Absolutely! And it was especially good dipping it into the raspberry preserves.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Steak and Ale was started in Dallas in the late 1960's and the highest density of its restaurants was in that general area although they expanded to lots of areas over time. We had them in northern Louisiana as well.

As noted, they have a serious comeback plan that they have already started executing. The restaurants were very popular and there was nothing wrong with the general business model. They just had some sort of "corporate implosion" that caused it to collapse.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:52 PM

I miss Steak and Ale too. I'll be dancing a jig if they come back.

For a while they did a steak and crab leg dinner where they shave off part of each shell. Not only was it good, it was much easier to get to the crab meat.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Bennigan's Monte Cristo.
Heck yeah! Nobody makes Monte Cristo sandwiches anymore. A few years back I was a regular at a decent restaurant down the street, and one slow night I explained how to make a Monte Cristo. They did a great job and were going to actually put it on the menu, but closed soon after due to poor management. Now I have to make them myself.

I miss York Steak House. It was an odd sort of restaurant. The atmosphere was rather posh (well, I was a kid, so take that with a big grain of salt), but it was a cheap-ish cafeteria-type restaurant at the mall. But the steak sandwiches were great, and I loved the parfaits.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemenopy View Post
Heck yeah! Nobody makes Monte Cristo sandwiches anymore. A few years back I was a regular at a decent restaurant down the street, and one slow night I explained how to make a Monte Cristo. They did a great job and were going to actually put it on the menu, but closed soon after due to poor management. Now I have to make them myself.

I miss York Steak House. It was an odd sort of restaurant. The atmosphere was rather posh (well, I was a kid, so take that with a big grain of salt), but it was a cheap-ish cafeteria-type restaurant at the mall. But the steak sandwiches were great, and I loved the parfaits.
Cheddars makes Monte Cristo sandwiches that are fried. They aren't as good as I remember Bennigan's Monte Cristos being, but I find them tasty.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
We had Steak and Ale in Florida. At one time they were owned by the same company that owns Bennigan's.

According to Wikipedia, they're coming back in 2017!

I have noticed that restaurants owned by the same company seem to be built close to each other. In my small(ish) town Red Lobster is next to Olive Garden (this was before Darden sold off Red Lobster) and Outback is across the road from Carrabba's.
At the chain I worked for, they would purchase land years, a decade even, before they planned to use it. When they built a new one in the city where I lived, there had been a used car lot there previously. It turned out that the chain had purchased it 15 years prior, and had been renting it out. Apparently there is a lot of thought put into where they believe development will occur, and purchase ahead of time accordingly.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPG Zealot View Post
Cheddars makes Monte Cristo sandwiches that are fried. They aren't as good as I remember Bennigan's Monte Cristos being, but I find them tasty.
Unfortunately, I guess, we don't have Cheddar's restaurants nearby either.