Old 02-16-2017, 02:12 PM

The Big Bang Theory, Season 10, Episode 16 (February 16, 2017) -- "The Allowance Evaporation"

I am starting this thread in anticipation of tonight's episode.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:19 PM

Howard is the only one on the show to get an allowance, IIRC. Wonder what he did this time?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:20 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Something stupid, I'll bet.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:35 PM

Paying for sex again?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:42 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

We might be completely off here. It might be that Howard's allowance evaporates because of the additional costs of having a sprog, and he has to deal with not being able to do/buy/have something the rest of the guys get. Hilarity ensues.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:45 PM

Maybe Howard and Bernie are giving Stuart an allowance (Raj has a job and wealthy parents to fall back on - Stuart, not so much).
Old 02-16-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
Howard is the only one on the show to get an allowance, IIRC. Wonder what he did this time?

Actually, from the looks of things, it is going to be Raj. His father is going to "cut him off" from the family fortune.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Ouch. It seems to me that Raj can really only afford his lifestyle because of his parents giving him money.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:11 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Double ouch. The only thing Raj has going for him in the first place is money. Without that he's nothing but a pathetic loser that even Stuart would reject.

Maybe now the producers can finally send him to that farm upstate.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 PM

Yay, Bert was in this episode. I like Bert.

What was that gadget called in the opening scene? An oil something. Cool.

Looks like they're trying to evolve Raj away from the loser character a bit. Whatever happened to the cleaning lady he was starting to get involved with?

And Sheldon continues to mature and learn how to read emotions in others. Sometimes accurately.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 PM

An Euler's Disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_Disk

http://www.eulersdisk.com/physics.html

Last edited by rowrrbazzle; 02-16-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Double ouch. The only thing Raj has going for him in the first place is money. Without that he's nothing but a pathetic loser that even Stuart would reject.

Maybe now the producers can finally send him to that farm upstate.
Yes, and they made it clear that NOBODY wants Raj living with them... not even knowing what a great live-in maid and cook he'd be.

And I loved the fact that it was Sheldon who asked Bert to join them at the table.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Brian Posehn is as ever excellent ( starting to look a bit Father Christmas despite being only 50 ) and he and the British Indian chap who plays Raj's dad were the best things about this episode.

The endlessly dreary Amy appears to have taken over Leonard's motive for existence of whining and looking exasperated.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:30 AM

Did anybody else get that Priya must be married? If all Raj's brothers and sisters are married, that includes Priya. I guess he didn't mention it so as not to weird Leonard out.

EDIT: Also, kinda surprised Raj didn't play the one really good arrow in his quiver-- he's afraid to get married now that his parents are in the middle of a bad break-up.

Last edited by RivkahChaya; 02-17-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:46 AM

I loved the opening scene. A bunch of intelligent adult males doing something stupidly juvenile while the women berate them for it? Yeah, I've only lived through that a few hundred times since college.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Did anybody else get that Priya must be married? If all Raj's brothers and sisters are married, that includes Priya. I guess he didn't mention it so as not to weird Leonard out.
Yeah, I picked up on that too.

The Euler's disk reminded me of the time they mixed something and poured onto a speaker and when they turned up the bass the substance bounced around. That was cool too.

I liked Amy in this episode. Sheldon loves her enough to want to fix things when he screws up. He's come a long way.

BUT he got his license and didn't tell anyone because he feels important when he's chauffered around. Oh, Sheldon.

I think Raj broke up with the cleaning lady...he mentioned he was dating someone from the university but they broke up. So much for that.

So now Raj has to grow up. I bet now he finally finds someone.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Priya must have married the guy she was cheating on Leonard with. Wasn't he an old boyfriend anyway?

Plot hole: whose car did Sheldon use to take his drivers test?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Maybe he rented one? He does ride the bus.

How long before g-harmony becomes a thing?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I think Raj broke up with the cleaning lady...he mentioned he was dating someone from the university but they broke up. So much for that.
That happened a few episodes ago - it's what inspired him to interview all his old girlfriends.

"What's going on with that woman you're dating?"

"I broke up with her."

"Why?"

"She said she didn't want to see me anymore and I found that insulting."
Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, in the cold open of last week's episode (or was it two weeks ago?), Leonard asked about "that woman you've been seeing," and Raj said that she dumped him. That's what prompted him to gather his exes together so they could all tell him how much he sucks. While they didn't specify that "that woman" was Isabella, she's the only likely suspect. It seems kind of weird that they would devote a whole episode to establishing her, and then never have her appear again, but the show is getting a little sloppy about that kind of thing these days.

Edited to add: Darn! Ninjaed!

Last edited by MrAtoz; 02-17-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:

The Euler's disk reminded me of the time they mixed something and poured onto a speaker and when they turned up the bass the substance bounced around. That was cool too.

Oobleck https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Ne..._fluid#Oobleck
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
Yeah, in the cold open of last week's episode (or was it two weeks ago?), Leonard asked about "that woman you've been seeing," and Raj said that she dumped him. That's what prompted him to gather his exes together so they could all tell him how much he sucks. While they didn't specify that "that woman" was Isabella, she's the only likely suspect. It seems kind of weird that they would devote a whole episode to establishing her, and then never have her appear again, but the show is getting a little sloppy about that kind of thing these days.

Edited to add: Darn! Ninjaed!
This show drops threads ALL the time. The biggest dropped story for me was when Penny was going to break of with Leonard but slept with him instead because he looked like a sad puppy dog.

Other things that should be re-visited: Howard's half-brother and how he is supposed to be a stay-at-home dad. Sheldon's mom and either Leonard's dad or Gablehouser, the head of the physics department. Oh and Yvette the vet. I think her name was Yvette. She gave Raj her number and then. . . nothing.

Last edited by Biggirl; 02-17-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Other things that should be re-visited: Howard's half-brother and how he is supposed to be a stay-at-home dad.
I would love to see the half-brother again!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Me too. You think Leonard and/or Raj would have mentioned that.

Quote:
BUT he got his license and didn't tell anyone because he feels important when he's chauffered around. Oh, Sheldon.
THAT is classic Sheldon.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 02-17-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM

I thought it was a bit of a filler episode, not one of the finer efforts this year. The only thing worse than subplots featuring Raj are those that feature Stuart. Surely he gets a decent wage from the university, why hasn't he been independent until now?

Hey Sheldon, there's one way to keep Amy from bitching about sex only once a year.

For me the best part was Sheldon admitting that he had a driver's license.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Cornstarch and water. My cousins and I used to make that.

Quote:
Sheldon loves her enough to want to fix things when he screws up. He's come a long way.
I love his diagram. I also love that the said he picked up on Bert's mood from his body language and vocal tone, and Amy said "And not from the fact that he got stood up?" Sheldon is working so hard on picking up on the little things that he's missing the big things.

Quote:
Maybe to get his license he borrowed a car from Frank and Alicia. In Indiana you can't take the driver's test in a rental car because of liability issues. I know someone whose parents had a station wagon and an El Camino, so he tried to rent a tiny car for the test because of the parallel parking requirement. Didn't work. Maybe he owns a car that he keeps in the storage area with all his junk.

Quote:
So now Raj has to grow up. I bet now he finally finds someone.
I wish they'd hook him up with Mandy Chow. I loved her brief appearance. It's rare to see an actress make so much out of a tiny part, and do it honestly-- that is, not make it some kind of shtick.

I'll bet they're saving "Raj gets a girl" for the series finale, though, which will probably come up in a year or two. Once Halley starts walking, they can't keep sending her to Camp Not-in-this-episode. They'll probably save Penny gets pregnant, and Leonard gets tenure and Amy and Sheldon become engaged for that too. It'll be an hour long, and turn out to be Arthur Jeffries dream.

Just kidding about the last one.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:03 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:

Just kidding about the last one.
No, wait. That would be truly subversive. I like it!

If the writers don't want to work too hard, they could fill a season just picking up and dealing with dropped plot lines. Hell, Mary Cooper has had three different studmuffins on the show, and they've never settled the story with any of them.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 AM

How common is it for wealthy Indian families to support their adult children? Priya seemed a little spoiled, but she had a good job as an attorney and I don't know that her family was supporting her.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Other things that should be re-visited: Howard's half-brother and how he is supposed to be a stay-at-home dad.
I don't think stay-at-home dad can be considered dropped. Howard got the government development contract, which is presumably either bringing in real money or has a strong possibility of doing so. In the meantime, Stuart is apparently a live-in nanny. Is his comic store still open?

Last edited by Folacin; 02-17-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:11 AM

Howard's line about (paraphrasing) being sad his best friend will be homeless was really funny and perfectly delivered.

ETA: also is the fact that the sister Leonard was into is married news or did we already know that?

Last edited by Quimby; 02-17-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM

I think it's news to the audience. Presumably Raj went to the wedding off camera and Penny did a quiet jig when Leonard wasn't looking.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Dunno, Penny knows, and makes sure Lenny knows, she is the best thing that could ever happen to him, and that he should be endlessly grateful.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 PM

I missed the original airing so had to watch it On Demand today and of course, they wouldn't allow me to forward through the commercials. So, I was curious and decided to see how many ads they run during TBBT, which is CBS's highest rated sitcom.

Each break they air 11-12 commercials (a little less if you count a the CBS promos as one big ad). All these ads cut down on show time, so all these plot points people bring up in this thread have little chance of happening. It's hard enough trying to spread the stories to include all 7 main characters (8 if you count Stewart, 9 if you count the baby)
let alone try to cover stories about each one.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM

I noticed that on Sheldon's Zone's of Privacy (don't google that) chart, Stuart was in the 3rd circle, with Bert and Kripke. I hope the chart shows up again so Stuart can see which circle he's in.

Since I've got the screen paused, here's the information for each circle:

Red (Sheldon, Amy, Dr. Fink (in the event of redness or swelling)):
Bathroom Schedule
Love Life
Genitals
Passwords

Green (the gang + Stephen Hawking)
Hopes
Fears
Scientific Breakthroughs
Family Issues

Blue (Stuart, Burt, Kripke)
Movies
Cafeteria Food
School Policies

Black (strangers)
Weather
Traffic
Smells
Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Me too. You think Leonard and/or Raj would have mentioned that.
Wow, I must have an IQ of 2 because I didn't think of that at all.

Quote:
Maybe to get his license he borrowed a car from Frank and Alicia.
Ooooh I love this idea.

I did like that Raj was the one that decided to cut himself off from his dads money. It really shows he is maturing.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Or that he was trying to guilt his papa into stop bugging him.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I noticed that on Sheldon's Zone's of Privacy (don't google that) chart, Stuart was in the 3rd circle, with Bert and Kripke. I hope the chart shows up again so Stuart can see which circle he's in.

Since I've got the screen paused, here's the information for each circle:

Red (Sheldon, Amy, Dr. Fink (in the event of redness or swelling)):
Bathroom Schedule
Love Life
Genitals
Passwords

Green (the gang + Stephen Hawking)
Hopes
Fears
Scientific Breakthroughs
Family Issues

Blue (Stuart, Burt, Kripke)
Movies
Cafeteria Food
School Policies

Black (strangers)
Weather
Traffic
Smells
Where are Frank and Alicia? And Beverly Hofstader?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
It seems kind of weird that they would devote a whole episode to establishing her, and then never have her appear again, but the show is getting a little sloppy about that kind of thing these days.
These days? The last time I heard of Dr. Stephanie, Leonard was leaving the cafeteria to have sex with her.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Yes, but that was her attempt to forestall their breakup. Obviously it didn't work.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 PM

In Sheldon's Zones of Privacy: Where is his Meemaw?

And since when can you just show up for a driving test without being driven there by a licensed driver? And neither can you rent a car without a license. So Sheldon would have needed someone to drive him to Motor Vehicles.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Suspended

In Britain most people seem to take the test in the driving school's car. The one they've been learning in.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Drake View Post
In Britain most people seem to take the test in the driving school's car. The one they've been learning in.
Massachusetts too. You can absolutely get your license without actually knowing anyone who owns a car.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Not in California. Here they expect you to provide your own car for the test at the DMV. So someone had to have taken him there for the test and loaned him the car.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Not in California. Here they expect you to provide your own car for the test at the DMV. So someone had to have taken him there for the test and loaned him the car.
The DMV expects you to show up with a car- that doesn't mean you can't arrange for a driving school to take you for the test and provide the car.

One driving school I found that offers this service - http://www.berkeleydrivingschool.com...est-assistance

but my guess is that all of them offer it
Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Stuart is going to be overjoyed to have made the chart at all.

As to Mee Maw and his and Leonard's mothers - he's just listing people he has regular interactions with.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 PM

Guys, guys relax! It was just a preliminary chart. I'm sure Sheldon will draw up a three dimensional , 7 vector, scattered piebar venn histogram in a day or two.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
The DMV expects you to show up with a car- that doesn't mean you can't arrange for a driving school to take you for the test and provide the car.

One driving school I found that offers this service - http://www.berkeleydrivingschool.com...est-assistance

but my guess is that all of them offer it
This. After moving to Chicago, I didn't drive for 15 years (public trans, taxis) and let my license lapse, so I had to re-test when I started driving again. I'd scheduled a driving school to use their car just for the test, but a co-worker loaned me theirs as they lived minutes away from the testing facility.

You can even rent a moped to take your motorcycle test on.

My favorite lines was Raj's dad: "I've got six children, five of whom are married and self-sufficient - I don't think I'm the problem here."
Old 02-18-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Guys, guys relax! It was just a preliminary chart. I'm sure Sheldon will draw up a three dimensional , 7 vector, scattered piebar venn histogram in a day or two.
Why stop at three dimensions? Sheldon is smarter than that?
Old 02-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Why stop at three dimensions? Sheldon is smarter than that?
Because you can't actually build a model with more than three dimensions?
Old 02-18-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Stuart is going to be overjoyed to have made the chart at all.
Nah, Stuart was annoyed that he was part of the "practice" brunch that included Bert and Kripke several episodes ago.