Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 PM

Sharing a name with a famous song

I recently read on another board about a man who knew multiple women named Rita, and claimed they all hated the Beatles' "Lovely Rita". Do you know anyone who shares the name with a famous song, or are you one yourself? What do they think of the songs, and what interesting incidents has it brought up?
Advertisements  
Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 PM

[Walks by in the background, trying not to appear conspicuous]
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 PM

My first name has two common spellings. I can think of 3 songs off the top of my head which use that name in the title - with the other spelling.

No, those songs are not about me, mmmmkay?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 AM

Let's say my name is Diane and I spend a lot of time down at the Tastee Freeze, and now let's say I start dating a guy named Jack who has a habit of doing James Dean impressions, but because I've never heard the song Jack and Diane I can't figure out why everyone keeps laughing. Except substitute a different set of names, a different set of oddly specific characteristics, and a much, much worse song. Not fun.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 AM

Many years ago, just after a painful break-up, a song burst onto the airwaves that - let's keep this hypothetical rather than based on my real name - had a chorus that went, "Suzy is SWEET! Suzy is SWEET!" Given that my name IRL is Suzy Sweet* I was horrified at the thought of the song becoming a major hit heard everywhere. I was certain my ex would hear it all the time and feel that he was having his nose rubbed in our unhappy separation.

Luckily, the song went nowhere. With some difficulty, I've been able to track it down on youtube, but it is obscure, to say the least.

I am glad the song never caught on. I did not like it. It was annoying.

*It's not really, but you all know that.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 02-17-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:54 AM

A song with my name in the title was a big hit in multiple languages; famous enough that I do get people humming it. I almost drove my car off the autobahn that time it unexpectedly came up in German. I have no idea why the heck would a station dedicated to the top 40s suddenly play a song whose original is from 1961 (my German wasn't good enough to follow what the DJs said).

As for the hummers, it's kind of cute so long as it's not overdone. At least those will remember my name
Old 02-17-2017, 05:26 AM

I used to have a friend named Barbara Ann. When she was planning her wedding, her fiance wanted the song played as she marched down the aisle. She came close to calling off the wedding.

My cousin Sherry felt the same way.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 AM

My name is Timothy. When the song of the same name was popular I was a junior in high school. I remember getting tired of cannibalism jokes pretty quickly.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:00 AM

I used to work with a Rhonda. When one of us needed her assistance, she greatly preferred that we not break into song.

mmm
Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Years ago, I knew someone whose name was Lola....

That's when I learned to never make jokes about someone's name. They know them all and are sick of them?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 AM

I once said Kiss Me Kate, and she married me.

Sometimes this works the other way. When Debbie Reynolds released "Tammy", the names Debbie and Tammy both immediately shot to the top of the list as the most popular girls names.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 AM
LightWithoutHeattttttttttttttt LightWithoutHeattttttttttttttt is online now

I went to high school with a girl named Roxanne. She heard it EVERY day ... mostly from me. Also dated a girl named Bernadette. I never had heard the song before then. But whenever I would introduce her to someone or mention her name, people would sing out "Bernadette!".
Old 02-17-2017, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

I imagine women have this problem a lot more than men, unless your name is Mickey...
Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 AM

What a coinkydink; I heard one of "my" songs a few minutes ago on the drive in to work.Unfortunately it was the one I really dislike (Oh, Sherrie by Journey). I used to have people singing the Four Season's Sherry Baby to me pretty often and I always found that quite endearing, especially the way everyone would do it falsetto like Frankie Valli. Now I'm just lucky if anyone around here speaks to me

I knew a woman named Susan to whom I made the mistake of singing "Oh Susie Q". That happened exactly once; she was not amused. I currently work with a Christine who seems to enjoy when I sing "Christine, the strawberry girl. Christine, banana split lady". Not sure what response I'd get if I busted out with Christine Sixteen.

On a different but slightly related note, does anyone else feel compelled to shout "Who the fuck is Alice" whenever they hear that name?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I used to have a friend named Barbara Ann. When she was planning her wedding, her fiance wanted the song played as she marched down the aisle. She came close to calling off the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I used to work with a Rhonda. When one of us needed her assistance, she greatly preferred that we not break into song.

mmm
I wish I could find the Full House clip of Uncle Jesse explaining how he keeps all his date's names straight (using Beach Boys songs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I imagine women have this problem a lot more than men, unless your name is Mickey...
I have a customer at work that calls in orders and when you ask for her name, she'll say "the first name is Mickey... that's M-I-C-K-E-Y". Whether she wants to or not, it's really hard not to respond with "M-O-U-S-E"

I worked with a girl name Rhia. If you asked her about her name, she had no problem telling you it was short for Rhiannon...because her parents conceiverd her with that song on. Now, she was probably 15 or 16 when she told me that, and very goth/shock value-ish. I'm curious, 20 years later if she still likes knowing what song was on when her mom and dad were banging.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
What a coinkydink; I heard one of "my" songs a few minutes ago on the drive in to work.Unfortunately it was the one I really dislike (Oh, Sherrie by Journey).
Nitpick: "Oh Sherrie" by Steve Perry solo. (Although Wikipedia tells me that Journey did play it in concert on occasion.)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:06 AM

My name is Julie, and chances are I do not love you and do not care and am not thinking of you and am planning on leaving the vicinity.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
My name is Julie, and chances are I do not love you and do not care and am not thinking of you and am planning on leaving the vicinity.
You're not Lisa?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You're not Lisa?
A friend of mine would sing that song every time I saw him. I've never actually heard it otherwise.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I've heard enough songs with my real name to last a lifetime. And then there's Annie Christmas.....
Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Nitpick: "Oh Sherrie" by Steve Perry solo. (Although Wikipedia tells me that Journey did play it in concert on occasion.)
Good to know. Now I can concentrate all the hatred unto him alone instead of spreading it out amongst several band members. Funny thing is, back when he was still with Journey I was a big fan and had a major crush on SP. I would have died and gone to heaven had that stupid song come out during that time (the song would still suck balls but I would have have convinced myself otherwise).
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM

A friend was briefly dating an Eileen when we were in high school when that song was popular. She was not amused.

We've got a Brandy/Brandi (not sure of the spelling) starting here next month. Alas, no one gets the joke when I comment "I hear she's a fine girl." And, yes, I'll stop before she starts working here. No one deserves being reminded of Looking Glass songs.

Quote:
(Oh, Sherrie by Journey).
Technically, only by Steve Perry.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM

"After all is said and done, there is really only one, Oh Margie, Margie, it's you!"

That song was old even when I was young. I never minded people singing it to me as a child. Now that I am old, I kind of like it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

I once knew a Joanna. Though I don't recall testing the theory myself, I understood that she was not particularly amused by efforts to woo her through the song.

I always rather liked the song, myself...
Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM

I've always wanted to piss on the grave of the guy who wrote: "Open the Door Richard". Thankfully that song has just about sunk into the obscurity it deserves.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
I've always wanted to piss on the grave of the guy who wrote: "Open the Door Richard". Thankfully that song has just about sunk into the obscurity it deserves.
Not in my house! I and all of my siblings learned to answer to "Richard" if a door needed to be opened.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:35 AM

My first name is Michael; my parents were folkies in the 1960s, and were, at least in part, inspired by the song "Michael Row the Boat Ashore." FWIW, the popularity of that song is believed to be partially responsible for "Michael" being the most popular name for baby boys for much of the 1960s.

My last name is fairly uncommon, and nearly no one who sees it in print can figure out how it's pronounced. But, the Bobbettes (a 1950s R&B "girl group") had a hit song, "Mister Lee", which was on the soundtrack to the movie "Stand By Me" in the 1980s. In the song's chorus, the singers don't pronounce the "r" in "mister", making their pronunciation of "Mister Lee" sound exactly like how you pronounce my last name.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
I've always wanted to piss on the grave of the guy who wrote: "Open the Door Richard".
Seems like overkill. You could have told him to just hit the road...
Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Me too! These days I go by Julia, and now they sing a song of love.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:15 AM

My favorite niece is named Angie. As in really named Angie, it's not short for anything.

She didn't remember hearing the Rolling Stones' song of the same name until she was a teenager, but someone at her high school thought it was a hilarious pun to quote lines from the song to her.

She's 33 now, and despises the song.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicicada View Post
Let's say my name is Diane and I spend a lot of time down at the Tastee Freeze, and now let's say I start dating a guy named Jack who has a habit of doing James Dean impressions, but because I've never heard the song Jack and Diane I can't figure out why everyone keeps laughing. Except substitute a different set of names, a different set of oddly specific characteristics, and a much, much worse song. Not fun.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but as a guy named "Bob", I absolutely hate it when someone makes a crack saying, "What About Bob?", referencing the 1991 Bill Murray movie. Sorry, haven't seen it. Nope, don't get the joke. Annoyed? Why, yes, actually.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
Seems like overkill. You could have told him to just hit the road...
You're a bad man.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Occasionally, when an older (than me) female co-worker greets me with "Hey Paul," I'll respond with "Hey, hey, Paula."

Some get it, some don't.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 AM

My first name is Susan, but back in Jr. High I went by Sue. I got "A Boy Named Sue" quite a lot. I was a tom boy and fairly flat chested so it wasn't a big leap to make.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
My first name has two common spellings. I can think of 3 songs off the top of my head which use that name in the title - with the other spelling.

No, those songs are not about me, mmmmkay?
And your name is...Sarah, right?

I hate that Starship song. Hate hate hate. The Fleetwood Mac one is not bad.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:19 AM

I share a name with a woman Bob Dylan wrote about. Can't say it ever bothered me.

She's "easy to look at and hard to define."
Old 02-17-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post

I was almost named Barbara Ann. The song came out the next year.

That's around the same time "Help Me Rhonda" debuted.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Years ago, I knew someone whose name was Lola....

That's when I learned to never make jokes about someone's name. They know them all and are sick of them?
That was my grandmother's name. She died in 2007, around the time it started rising rapidly in the baby name department.

Not sure she ever heard the song.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahfeena View Post
And your name is...Sarah, right?

I hate that Starship song. Hate hate hate. The Fleetwood Mac one is not bad.
I found out recently that "Sara" is about a baby Stevie Nicks aborted, and regretted doing so.

There's also Hall & Oates' "Sara Smile".
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM
this space left blank
Charter Member

The head of a company we work with is named Jude. It is practically impossible not to say "Hey Jude" when he calls, even if you aren't trying to reference the song.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alma View Post
The head of a company we work with is named Jude. It is practically impossible not to say "Hey Jude" when he calls, even if you aren't trying to reference the song.
I worked with a guy named Jude last year. When I greet someone in the office, I do tend to use, "Hey, [name]" -- I found myself actively trying to *not* do that with Jude, as I was sure he'd heard it a million times.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

My name is Jessica and the Allman Brothers song "Jessica" is awesome - and lyric-less!

For some reason, though, there have been plenty of people throughout my life that think my name is the same as the person being sung about in "Jessie's Girl." It's a song about a guy named Jessie and his girlfriend, not a girl name Jessie.

So it's not only annoying when people (guys) try singing "Jessie's Girl" to me, it's just wrong!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I used to work with a Jolene. Not breaking into song when she called was quite the exercise in self-control, at which I did not always succeed.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicicada View Post
Now I'm dying of curiosity.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 PM

My first name is Joe. Throughout all of high school and college, no less than once a day I heard someone say "Hey, Joe --- where you goin' with that gun in your hand?" and then laugh like it was the first time anybody ever thought of saying that.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 PM

I am Daniel...NOT your brother...or (anymore) a boy...Or Dan Tucker...or Daniel Boone...though at times I can be nasty.

http://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-...iels/reference
Old 02-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

mmm
I knew a girl named Rhonda in junior high. She hated that song too.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 PM

I once knew a girl named Maggie who told me she hated the song Maggie May "with a passion" as a result of having had selected lyrics quoted to her ad nauseam.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

My mother told me I was almost named "Bruce". I would have killed her first, then myself.

Knew a very buxom young woman named Denise. One day when she walked into the office, I and two other security guys at the embassy lined up and sang this. She didn't seem pleased.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWithoutHeattttttttttttttt View Post
I went to high school with a girl named Roxanne. She heard it EVERY day ... mostly from me. Also dated a girl named Bernadette. I never had heard the song before then. But whenever I would introduce her to someone or mention her name, people would sing out "Bernadette!".
I worked with a woman named Roxanne, who once said, "After all these years they make a song using my name and she's a prostitute?"