The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Whoops! 18th Century chateau razed by "renovations" crew

Move that bus!

French Chateau Demolished ‘By Mistake’ During Renovation

Quote:
...work crews hired to restore the local chateau Bellevue instead demolished the 18th century gem “by mistake”. Authorities in the village, nestled among picturesque vineyards some seven miles outside of Bordeaux, realized the regal manor had been unexpectedly razed in less than two days in late November. In fact, the only structure still standing is apparently one of the detached staff quarters — the building that was supposed to be leveled instead of the main house, which was undergoing renovation.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/07/...#ixzz2ETzRALa5
StG
Advertisements  
Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Trying hard to resist a Polish joke. Btw does that company install light bulbs?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Hmm, given how lots of demolition crews work, seems remarkably fast to demolish such a structure.

Demolition usually begins with the recovery of useful and valuable materials, which can range from roof slates, through to fireplace, stairways and decorative plaster work. This all takes quite a time, seems to me this process took place far too quickly for that to happen.

My guess is the haste to demolish was to make sure there was no chance to interfere and prevent it happening, it was no accident.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Read the instructions/map twice, demolish once.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
Hmm, given how lots of demolition crews work, seems remarkably fast to demolish such a structure.

Demolition usually begins with the recovery of useful and valuable materials, which can range from roof slates, through to fireplace, stairways and decorative plaster work. This all takes quite a time, seems to me this process took place far too quickly for that to happen.

My guess is the haste to demolish was to make sure there was no chance to interfere and prevent it happening, it was no accident.
I was gonna say that maybe they subcontracted the demolition out to a third party, demolition-only company, and they just had a brain fart, but then I noticed this in the article....
Quote:
Destroying the existing structure to build a new, modern replacement would cost far less than restoring the original—and suspicious locals note the curious inquiries about the depth of the chateau’s foundations that builders made while applying for a structural modification permit.
So, looks like you're right on the spot, there...