The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 PM
LurkMeister LurkMeister is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
[minor hijack]My first awareness of Christian Mingle was seeing ads for it on the Chiller Channel while I was watching Buffy. It was a bit of a disconnect, because I wouldn't have thought Buffy, or horror movies, would constitute the prime demographic for a Christian dating service[/mh]
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #52  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 PM
handsomeharry handsomeharry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Things are allowed to exist that do discriminate, tho. Nobody can stop you from starting a Things Only Atop Staircases store because people in wheelchairs can't shop there if you can prove that your business model depends on things being atop staircases. If you must, you can hire just men to push buttons in your factory if your factory's buttons must be pushed by penises only.

I don't have the right to waltz into the men's locker room, or demand that a Web site for deaf people add "I can hear just fine" as an option in a signup form that asks about the extent of your hearing loss.

The business model for this Web site depends on people who are Christians looking for other Christians to date. If they were forced to allow everyone (and by "allow" I mean add "atheist" as an option in a dropdown) to use the site, their business model would fail because they'd no longer be a niche site they'd just be another dating site.
I'm totally stunned that this is the first post to point out that 'discrimination' can exist within a certain context, legally. Has everybody's brain gone soft, or something?
If you want to know how somebody can do something without bringing the law down on themselves, it helps to know what the law says.
Find out the provisions of the law, and you will find all the answers you need.
There are some situations in which one may freely discriminate against every protected class. This has been rehashed for about the last 50 years, hasn't it?
Why did it take this long for somebody to answer the question?
BTW, 'discrimination' is not illegal. Violating X codicil of X 'equal rights' law is illegal.
That simple.
In short, whatever title it is in the US law that prohibits 'discrimination' doesn't force compliance if the fundamental character of the organization is changed by compliance. Usual disclaimers, IANAL. Now, your view of a Christian may be to allow same sex dating and marriage, but Christian Mingle doesn't believe that way. In fact, they say that married people should not be on the site looking for the new replacement.

Best wishes,
hh

Last edited by handsomeharry; 05-06-2011 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 AM
EvilTOJ EvilTOJ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post
So you gonna cough up a link or what, man? I need some lovin' too ya know.
Don't bother, they don't pander to the "use insects as coverings" populace.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-08-2011, 10:39 AM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Things are allowed to exist that do discriminate, tho. Nobody can stop you from starting a Things Only Atop Staircases store because people in wheelchairs can't shop there if you can prove that your business model depends on things being atop staircases. If you must, you can hire just men to push buttons in your factory if your factory's buttons must be pushed by penises only.

I don't have the right to waltz into the men's locker room, or demand that a Web site for deaf people add "I can hear just fine" as an option in a signup form that asks about the extent of your hearing loss.

The business model for this Web site depends on people who are Christians looking for other Christians to date. If they were forced to allow everyone (and by "allow" I mean add "atheist" as an option in a dropdown) to use the site, their business model would fail because they'd no longer be a niche site they'd just be another dating site.
IF this were true, then why does nearly every Christian website let you choose to say you are non-Christian? Why does JDate include a non-Jewish option?

I have no problem believing there is an exception like you say, but the way these places act, it seems like there really isn't. At least, not one that's so clear cut that they are sure they fall on the right side of it.

Though I would be interested in getting some actual legal Dopers in here.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Fear Itself Fear Itself is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: 847 mi. from Cecil
Posts: 28,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Why should every dating site have to cater to everybody?
Because they are a business operating under state and federal laws regarding protected classes like race, age, religion and sexual orientation. There are limited exceptions, but I don't think they apply to matchmaking services.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Fear Itself Fear Itself is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: 847 mi. from Cecil
Posts: 28,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurlow Boink View Post
If you, a vegetarian, go to a steakhouse and find that they don't have any vegetarian entrees on the menu, I wouldn't consider that "refusal of service."
Vegetarians are not in a legally protected class because their food preferences. Gays and atheists are, because of their sexual or religious preferences. If vegetarians feel discriminated against, they are free to lobby to get the law to recognize them as a protected class, but until that happens, that they haven't got a leg to stand on.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Tom Tildrum Tom Tildrum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 9,924
Are pr0n sites obliged to have both gay and straight material, of both sexes?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Azeotrope Azeotrope is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Actually, the fact that a dating site ostensibly for devout Christians not having M/M or F/F options doesn't surprise me a bit.

If it were the only dating site in existence and it eliminated gays, I could see getting upset about it. But this site's targeting a demographic not exactly known for its tolerance for gays, and there are dating sites for gays so it's not as if they're being denied a chance to use online dating if they want. They just can't get it through this particular service. You wouldn't call Stanley Steemer to clean your gutters.

The difference between eHarmony and the Spark group is that eHarmony is a single organization for everyone, but Spark has split theirs up into individualized websites.

I think of it like this, if a Muslim went into Barnes & Noble to buy a Koran and got told "oh, our CEO decided Muslims are evil so we're not selling any Muslim-related material anymore" that's discrimination. If a Muslim went into a Christian bookstore for a Koran, they should have taken a better look at the sign on the door.

Last edited by Azeotrope; 05-10-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Dbank Dbank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Seriously?? Really that big of a deal?

So a dating site that advertises to a very specific group is discriminatory to all others. So a coffee shop that doesn't sell tea is discriminatory against tea drinkers? Why don't we tell all businesses how they can run, what products they sell, and how to do business!!! Welcome to socialism!!! Give it up. In the name of freedom why do people have to be that arrogant? Is it discriminatory? Of course, just the same as a shop that sells exclusively dog toys is discriminating against cats, or a tea shop that won't sell coffee is discriminating against coffee drinkers or a donut shop that won't sell bagels (discriminating against people that want bagels).
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Teddy Kennedy Teddy Kennedy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
In short, discrimination can and does exist, and it shouldn't bother you.

The site should offer options for males seeking males and females seeking females. Sure, it encourages something antagonistic to Christian principles - but this site also leads to premarital sex, also antagonistic to Christian principles.

Last edited by Teddy Kennedy; 10-21-2012 at 12:21 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.