Old 01-11-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I don't know where else to post this, as I doubt that it merits its own thread. Sometimes when the gas company is working on a gas leak at the busy intersection outside, you just want to approach them with a lit candle.
https://www.theherald-news.com/2020/...e-say/a6ztllp/
My mini rant is I can't read the story in your link because I keep getting a popup asking me to subscribe and I can't find a way to disable it.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:55 PM

That's when I google "arrested candle gas leak" and find another source. And discover the guy wasn't confused, he was just an asshole.

He was ordered back into his house multiple times for interfering with police trying to keep the public from... well, blowing up. So then he comes out with a candle, pulls out his lighter and proceeds to try to light it in front of the cops.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:59 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
That's when I google "arrested candle gas leak" and find another source. And discover the guy wasn't confused, he was just an asshole.

He was ordered back into his house multiple times for interfering with police trying to keep the public from... well, blowing up. So then he comes out with a candle, pulls out his lighter and proceeds to try to light it in front of the cops.
One night, years back, when I was trying to get home from school, my commute was delayed by a jumper on the Golden Gate Bridge. The person hadn't actually jumped - they were clinging to the outside of the bridge, and the cops were trying to talk him back off the edge. Consequently, they'd closed that side of the bridge to traffic. I normally transferred buses at the bridge, so I was stuck standing there at the bus pad, where I could see a bit of what was going on.

As I'm waiting, this guy shows up. He'd seen what was happening on the news, and immediately raced over on his bike. I was a little at this, until he pulled a police whistle out of his pocket, and asked me, "Should I blow it?" Dude was hoping to startle the guy into jumping. I was too shocked to say anything, but I guess the expression on my face was suitably communicative, because he put the whistle away and stopped talking to me.

The guy ended up not jumping, btw.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
There are times when that's exactly what needs to be said.
Yeah, when I had missing cat posters everywhere with my number on damn sure I folowed up every missing cat. (but I never found her, sigh).
Old 01-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Woke up to my house being a cool 52f. While I like the cold, this was a bit too cool for my taste.
I knew the thermostat was on its last legs, and really the timing was good, as I had purchased a new one yesterday. Electrician brother in law was kind enough to install the new one.
House warms up. All is well.
Except.

The thermostat isn’t level and it’s driving me bonkers!
Old 01-13-2020, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Apple, I'm here to complain about you again, about an entirely different outdated Mac product.

The video card went... it happens, the thing is old yes? So I research how to replace it and it involves numerous steps, acceptable given that it's an All In One iMac. However, when I get to the part where the guy says "unscrew these three screws" and all I see are the backsides of screw holes, I realize you made a change when you updated the model. I no longer unscrew three screws and remove the video card, I unscrew 12 screws, unhook 87 connectors, remove the mother board, pray to the almighty god of not accidentally destroying something, and unscrew the three screws from the opposite side. Then I spend half an hour trying to put the mother board back in, reconnect the 87 connectors, take it all back out again because one connector on the board is empty, then put it all back in again when I realize it was never connected to anything in the first place.

At least the computer is running again.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:12 PM

Missy can no longer walk. I KNEW this was going to happen, she's a spoiled rotten cat and now that she has a guilt stricken slave willing to lift her from her bed to her litter box when she meows, she has stopped walking and just meows. For some reason she is very distressed when her guilt stricken slave leaves and the mom/bitch comes home. Mom/bitch (me) is a total bitch who refuses to allow this sort of entrapment, which causes much pouting or limping/sick kitty displays.

(Missy is healing up just fine. Cats are jerks. And drama queens. They only domesticated humans because we have tasty garbage and the ability to hunt and gather (and open) cans or pouches of gooshy fud. And they are jerks.)

ALSO, my blood work came back and my pre-exposure rabies titers are low and I have to get a booster and more blood work. Not only are cats jerks, trying to help with the feral problem is expensive and a pain in the arm.

Did I happen to mention that cats are jerks?

I'm also just a little crabby because I have to interview people for a part time job opening tomorrow, and I really hate doing that. I'm an archivist, not human resources!

An off level thermostat would make me even more crabby, MissTake. I totally get your pain, it will annoy every single time you look at it.

Last edited by flatlined; 01-13-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:06 AM

Can you drape one of those feather boas or a garland or something around the edges, to conceal the tilt a little? It'll look funny, but roll with it. Get the hot pink feather boa if you can.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
An off level thermostat would make me even more crabby, MissTake. I totally get your pain, it will annoy every single time you look at it.
Would a few taps with a hammer help?

When I was helping our handyman replace our back door, we couldn't get the jamb quite level. He said we'd have to take it all out and start over (a lot more time... and money). I went and got my sledgehammer, and asked about just hitting it til it was level, and he said "I'm a craftsman, I do not just 'hit things with a sledgehammer'... [pause] ...you on the other hand..."

Two hefty whacks later, everything was level.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:08 AM

I've almost succeeded in purging ads by Presidential candidates from my Facebook pages. But not quite.

Today I had one from Tom Steyer. I clicked on "hide ad" and Facebook wanted to know why I wanted to do that, giving me multiple choices, none of which was "tired of seeing whiny begging ads, especially from billionaires".

So I chose "already purchased".
Old 01-14-2020, 11:39 PM

Fire alarm went off in the hotel I’m in. Now I’m sitting out in the cold waiting for the fire department to clear it. There was smoke in the stairwell so not a false alarm.

So much for sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
overlyverbose: Have you tried giving her written instructions?
Sadly yes - after every single meeting with her, I'd send follow up notes outlining what we discussed and what we agreed needed to happen with "due by" dates. Without fail, the directions were rarely to never followed and, if they were, the work product was provided late or required such extensive re-work that it was late.

The budget was just one example. I think the only reason they moved her to a new team was to preserve the organization's head count.

My new mini rant is sales teams who sign shit with no understanding of the downstream implications. For example, don't agree to adhere to certain regulations that DO NOT APPLY TO YOUR CLIENT. Also, do not agree to change a system for a whole fucking enterprise with more than one million users for one small client with about 25. Especially when the reason the client wants it changed is because you did a phenomenally shitty job explaining the system and if they understood it, they wouldn't have their knickers in a twist. If you need help explaining it BEFORE you sign something, tell me and I'll be on the fucking phone in five minutes. But don't sign something, demand changes and tell me, "I can't just tell them we won't do it," when I refuse. You can. It's actually pretty simple. I just did it.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:01 PM

At an airport you never know a person's story, perhaps a service animal is making it possible for an adult to fly for the first time in their life and take the trip of their dreams. Perhaps people getting on planes are moving, or spending half the year as snowbirds or something. But having flown for the first time in years a week ago I am getting the impression we have moved passed the exceptions and now people are bringing animals on planes as an accessory of sorts. All these little toy canines in purses staring at me wondering why the hell they're there reminds me of those animal shelter commercials with just less mud and emaciation.

People are the worst.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:13 PM

If it is humanly possible to speak to an actual living entity at California EDD, I have yet to figure out the right magic spell to get through an impenetrable phone menu. One could get the impression they're actively trying to block PFL claimants.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:06 PM

Oh, those EDDs blockin' dem PFLs. It's enough to make the SDMB go FUBAR on their LSMFT!

(But, really, whatever it is you're upset at, we are too!)

Last edited by digs; 01-15-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM

nm, dŲppelposte.

Last edited by digs; 01-15-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:15 PM

So, there's SNAFU, FUMTU, TARFU, FUBB, and FUBAR, in order of how much shit is being fucked up. Is there anything beyond FUBAR? Whatever that is, I'm sure that would be an adequate description of the Chump administration.

Last edited by atimnie; 01-15-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:28 PM

Our power company did something shady with their billing, got caught and sanctioned. This resulted in the affected customers receiving a $25 check in the mail. Seriously? I can understand sending paper checks to folks who are no longer customers, but to send them to millions of active customers instead of crediting their bills just seems stupid and inefficient.

My Mom-in-Law said her lady's club was going to start encouraging people to buy children's books at yard sales or thrift stores and then leave them where children might be waiting. Her example was laundromats or covered bus stops.

I have a friend who works at a food stamp office, we go out to lunch every couple of weeks. I like yard sales and thrift stores, and also have an interest in living in an educated society. Giving books to children is always a good thing in my mind, so I totally bought into MiL's idea and showed up at the food stamp office a week ago with a handful of very gently used (all the pages were there, no stickers, stains, writing or tears) children's books. Of course, as this was a government office, the donated books have to be found worthy of being handed to bored poor children.

Today my friend called me and said she had the books to return to me. Apparently, bored poor children at food stamp offices deserve NEW books, not thrift store garbage. Oddly enough, the food bank was happy to get them.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I wonder what their opinion of library books might be?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:07 PM

The huge company I work for is about to undergo severe cost-cutting, and I feel certain that I'll be among the culled. I'm not scared of being laid off, but the wait is killing me. Everything I'm working on is a waste of time. I feel like I'm just killing time in purgatory.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

The alarm cat has gone off every 20 minutes for the last two-plus hours. I think he's broken.

Lord knows, I'm about to be.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:53 PM

Iíve been applying to law schools. Unfortunately, my LSAT makes me a natural fit for schools ranked somewhere in the high-teens to low-twenties, which in and of itself is not bad, except we donít have a single such school in my home state. The flagship public law school is ranked 15th and should be only a slight reach for me (my score is a point below the median for the school, but well above the 25th percentile), but they more so than even some of the more competitive schools seem to draw a hard line at the median LSAT score, and then only sparingly admit beneath that line.

Now, I do believe other elements of my application (GPA and unique background) are strong enough to maybe get me into that limited sub-median group, but itís just kind of frustrating that a score one point below the median for this particular school might as well (based on my interpretation of the very tightly packed 50th and 75th percentile scores and the much wider range for the 25th percentile score) be five points below. The self-reported scatter plot data available from third party websites seems to confirm this, and I gather it is due in part to the emphasis that law school rankings tend to focus on median, vice average scores.

What has prompted this rant specifically, though, is that while I applied for binding early decision to the school in question (I really, really want to reestablish my roots in my home state after spending almost 14 years on active duty military service, to include 7 years overseas), I recently learned that I was... not rejected, not wait listed, but deferred. Decision deferred for regular decision. Which means that while I could still theoretically be accepted outright, it may well be that I get to wait three more months just to find out Iíve been waitlisted. Which means then Iíll get to wait an indeterminate amount of time before I get (probably) rejected after that.

So, I guess this rant is that, say Vanderbilt, or... Boston University, or... Emory arenít located in Texas. Nope, I had to get stranded in a law school desert for anything in a range between #16 and #40 (inclusive).

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 01-15-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:26 AM

Did a photo shoot over the weekend. Went to lunch beforehand with a few of the other photogs, including a FOAFOAF who is a professional photog, weddings, portraits, that sorta thing. At lunch she's complaining about others stealing her ideas, copying her props & undercutting her fee for portraits.

Fast forward to the shoot & I need to wait a bit as she's shooting down the long hallway. No biggie. When she's done & says I can walk down there I say what about this idea. My idea, I'm the 'model' in the photo. She gets it all wrong so I tell her how to set it up (long exposure settings). I thought about doing it on my camera but we've had this connection of lunch & her camera is already setup & in position; it'll be quicker if it's done on her camera (it was both nearing the end of the shoot & now we're holding up other photogs). The final shots come out good & she says she'll send them to me.

Both my friend & I have emailed her; no response. Now she's posted the pics on Farcebook & they got picked up by the place that we were shooting at. No credit whatsoever to me. My idea, I'm the model, my settings but physically taken on the camera of someone who was just complaining about others stealing their work. Not frickin' cool. At all!

I'm very tempted to join FB just to bitch her out, but then I'll never see those photos.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:52 PM

Fucking kidney disease. I usually come off dialysis feeling fine, no problems, and hungry for dinner. Last night when I was coming off the machine, I felt light headed, nauseous, and tossing my cookies. Didn't wanna eat and wanted to go right to bed. Luckily I made it home without tossing my lunch on the van. I spent all night sleeping fitfully and trying not to empty the rest of my stomach. This almost never happens, the last time I felt that sick was about 13 months ago. I'm fine now, ate breakfast and lunch and feeling much better. But last night was a rough night.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Fucking kidney disease. I usually come off dialysis feeling fine, no problems, and hungry for dinner. Last night when I was coming off the machine, I felt light headed, nauseous, and tossing my cookies. Didn't wanna eat and wanted to go right to bed. Luckily I made it home without tossing my lunch on the van. I spent all night sleeping fitfully and trying not to empty the rest of my stomach. This almost never happens, the last time I felt that sick was about 13 months ago. I'm fine now, ate breakfast and lunch and feeling much better. But last night was a rough night.
Did they pull too much? How was your BP?
Old 01-16-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
Did they pull too much? How was your BP?
Yeah, they pulled too much. They were going for 4Ĺ liters . I usually can take off 5 liters, no problem, but it was my third day in a row of dialysis. I was in for a short session on Tuesday, as well as my regular Monday and Wednesday sessions. I don't remember my exact BP. I believe it went into the 70s, but it was over 100 when they took me off.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

I'm having the same fun.

There is going to be a 'come to Jesus' talk the next time I see any of the MD's scurrying around the floor--yesterday, it took an hour to get me out of the chair, all because they are chasing a mythical 'dry weight'. THEN they get their panties in a square knot because they have to put a half litre of saline back to get my systolic up to 100. Yes, I know my mass is going up, but that is from insulin, and trying to turn me into a raisin won't fix that issue. It will be an interesting talk.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Missy can no longer walk. I KNEW this was going to happen, she's a spoiled rotten cat and now that she has a guilt stricken slave willing to lift her from her bed to her litter box when she meows, she has stopped walking and just meows. For some reason she is very distressed when her guilt stricken slave leaves and the mom/bitch comes home. Mom/bitch (me) is a total bitch who refuses to allow this sort of entrapment, which causes much pouting or limping/sick kitty displays.

(Missy is healing up just fine. Cats are jerks. And drama queens. They only domesticated humans because we have tasty garbage and the ability to hunt and gather (and open) cans or pouches of gooshy fud. And they are jerks.)

ALSO, my blood work came back and my pre-exposure rabies titers are low and I have to get a booster and more blood work. Not only are cats jerks, trying to help with the feral problem is expensive and a pain in the arm.

Did I happen to mention that cats are jerks?
I've had cats for over 50 years, and I have NEVER had a cat that was a jerk. Just sayin'.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I've had cats for over 50 years, and I have NEVER had a cat that was a jerk. Just sayin'.
Those were imposter cats.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Yeah, they pulled too much. They were going for 4Ĺ liters . I usually can take off 5 liters, no problem, but it was my third day in a row of dialysis. I was in for a short session on Tuesday, as well as my regular Monday and Wednesday sessions. I don't remember my exact BP. I believe it went into the 70s, but it was over 100 when they took me off.
5 liters? Damn! I could never do more than 3, otherwise BP would tank and I would cramp horrifically. I hope you're feeling better today!

The Vorlon - I had to have that conversation MANY times with every new tech (along with where to cannulate so I was not in excruciating pain the entire run). When I first started, I didn't have fluid restrictions, which confused them greatly - PKD can be a bit of a different beast to deal with. Finally escalated into a stern discussion with the manager and the nephrologist - whose body is this? NOT YOURS. Who knows what this body can handle? NOT YOU. I know what I've eaten, drank, and what my physical activity has been. Your dry weight number is what makes it easy for your techs to "set it and forget it", but I know what my body needs.
I wish you best of luck!!
Old 01-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Micro-rant: WTF is it with TV shows announcing that "there's only X episodes left until the season finale" instead of "there's X+1 episodes left this season"?
Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 PM

My sitcom life

Tonight I gave Mrs. J. a kiss and told her "You are so good-looking."

A voice comes from the pocket of my pants, saying "Thanks. I like to think that beauty comes from within."

It's the voice of Google Assistant on my cellphone, which somehow activated when I bent over to give Mrs J. the smooch.

What nerve! Now I have to figure out how to deactivate that presumptuous tart.

Google Assistant, that is.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Tonight I gave Mrs. J. a kiss and told her "You are so good-looking."

A voice comes from the pocket of my pants, saying "Thanks. I like to think that beauty comes from within."

It's the voice of Google Assistant on my cellphone, which somehow activated when I bent over to give Mrs J. the smooch.

What nerve! Now I have to figure out how to deactivate that presumptuous tart.

Google Assistant, that is.
I do tech support for instructional web conferencing as my job. We've had times when the instructor would call on someone by name and the assistant on their cell would activate in an attempt to 'help'.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
My sitcom life
I'd watch that sitcom!

I often wonder what life's like in a household where they're always yelling up the stairs for their daughter Alexa.

Hey, I'll have to ask the neighbors if that's a problem (their daughter's named Siri).

"Siri! Did you Venmo Jimmy? A thousand dollars would be crazy, but maybe twenty."
Old 01-19-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Repeat rant every snow season, whatís with the lazy bastards who donít clear their windshields from snow? Peaking out of a hole the size of a basketball. Snow covering the back window, all lights.grrrr.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

You adopted a cat during a rough patch in your life, and she really helped you with your issues. So sweet! But now you're giving her away free to a good home, because there's just no room for an animal in the "perfect, peaceful new life" The Lord has given you.

WTF.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:50 PM

Grrrrr!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Repeat rant every snow season, whatís with the lazy bastards who donít clear their windshields from snow? Peaking out of a hole the size of a basketball. Snow covering the back window, all lights.grrrr.
Handy thing in Canada: in most jurisdictions here, drivers who fail to clear their vehicles of snow and ice are liable for a fine between $50 - $500 (In B.C. it's $109). It seems like every season the radio stations, TV & print news outlets, and cops issue the public warnings and occasionally make an example of a self absorbed lazy entitled nitwit.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:42 PM

And then there are the people who drive a white car in a heavy snow storm, with no lights on.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

There are laws about clearing vehicles completely before driving here in PA, too. But at least 25% of the drivers ignore that law completely. It makes me all stabby.

ETA: And if there's any precipitation, they are supposed to have their headlights on. Lots of people ignore that, too. Hey! FUCKERS! I don't care if you think you can see where you're going just fine without your lights on, I CAN'T SEE YOU! TURN THEM ON, DAMNIT.

Last edited by Morgyn; 01-19-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
There are laws about clearing vehicles completely before driving here in PA, too. But at least 25% of the drivers ignore that law completely. It makes me all stabby.

ETA: And if there's any precipitation, they are supposed to have their headlights on. Lots of people ignore that, too. Hey! FUCKERS! I don't care if you think you can see where you're going just fine without your lights on, I CAN'T SEE YOU! TURN THEM ON, DAMNIT.
I posted here some years back about a non-cleared car nearly wiping out my windshield. A big SUV driven by a tiny woman (as I learned when I ran up to her car at the next stop light to let her know); a sheet of snow and ice flew off at speed and SLAMMMMMMMED into my windshield. I'm really surprised the windshield didn't shatter.

I think your percentages are far too low, actually - around here I'm sure it's more like 75% of drivers who fail to clear their cars.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Possibly this ought to be a separate thread: but how on earth are people who are receiving some assistance supposed to save up for something like a car (or repairs for the car they own)?

My daughter is living on her own in another state. She is working only part time. The reasons for this are long and valid, but basically she earns well below the poverty limit and would qualify for food stamps. Only, she has had several months where she was able to save most of her income - so she has more than the maximum saved up at the moment.

She doesn't own a car. She would like to get one at some point - but obviously she can't have enough money saved up to buy one (or even put a decent down payment). If she already owned one, that would be fine - but she wouldn't be able to save up for the cost of things like repairs.

I get having asset limits - someone who has 50,000 in the bank but low income at the moment has less need of food stamps than someone with 2,000 - but this kind of rule makes it nearly impossible for someone to build up any kind of safety net / have the ability to look for a better job etc.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:27 AM

I live in a complex with quiet hours, 10 PM to 6 AM. My upstairs neighbors like to vacuum, run their washer, and/or play music or TV loudly between 1 AM and 3 AM. I left them a nice note (They weren't home.) a month or so ago asking them to please turn it down late at night. The music and TV got quieter, but the vacuuming, washer, etc. continued.

I went to the manager. Said I didn't want to cause any trouble but I really need to sleep. She sent them a text reminding them of quiet hours and listing all the forbidden stuff (all of which they did). Whew! Peace reigned! Until tonight. It's only 10:30 here, but I don't wanna listen to their blaring TV, and this doesn't bode well. I don't want to be the grouch who goes to the manager again, especially since round two is a letter from management saying "There have been complaints." They live on the third floor, so they'd know it was me.

Why can't they shut the frick up???
Old 01-20-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post

We had a couple of days of dense fog last week, visibility maybe 100 yards. I have a short drive to work, about five minutes, and saw probably half a dozen cars each morning with no lights on. They just suddenly appear in front of you out of the fog, which sucks if you happen to be turning in front of them. You'd think they'd get a clue that 99% of the other drivers on the road have their lights on.

My rant this morning is aimed at Microsoft. If you're going to decide to start updating my computer, at least give me some clue that that's what you're doing. I came in to work this morning, logged in, and opened Outlook. I tried to respond to an email from late Friday afternoon and everything just froze up. I tried to close the email, I tried to close Outlook, I tried to open Task Manager... nothing. After waiting about five minutes, I decided to try to log out and log back in. It didn't want to let me log out. Finally, about ten minutes later, I get the message "We're getting things ready" and then a few minutes later it starts showing the update percentage complete. Half an hour later, I'm finally logged back in, although the computer is still sluggish as hell. If I would have known from the start that it was doing an update, I would have just gone and got some coffee instead of trying to figure out why my computer had frozen up.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Our power company did something shady with their billing, got caught and sanctioned. This resulted in the affected customers receiving a $25 check in the mail. Seriously? I can understand sending paper checks to folks who are no longer customers, but to send them to millions of active customers instead of crediting their bills just seems stupid and inefficient.
It's just more devious financial shit. They don't have to pay out on checks that don't get processed and there are plenty of people who won't be sufficiently motivated by $25 to bother with it. If they credited accounts, everyone gets paid.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:45 AM
I was curious...

Of course. Why didn't I think of that? Hopefully, because I'm not a conniving, profit-hungry douchebag.

And you can bet they had someone running the numbers/projections to be sure that the extra cost of mailing the checks would be more than covered by the number of people who wouldn't cash them. Fuckers.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:35 PM

Why does UPS always do this? I have a delivery today. They send me the "Follow My Delivery" link so I can watch the truck (not) come. Hey, the truck is 1000 feet away on the next street!

Hey, why is the truck moving over to another part of town?

Hey, ho, I guess it will be the end of the day after all.

There seems to be some delivery priority that does not care whether the truck's route is the most efficient or not. And I'm always at the bottom.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
There seems to be some delivery priority that does not care whether the truck's route is the most efficient or not. And I'm always at the bottom.
This happens to me all the time, too. I think the issue is that UPS tries to never have the truck make a left turn.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
It's just more devious financial shit. They don't have to pay out on checks that don't get processed and there are plenty of people who won't be sufficiently motivated by $25 to bother with it. If they credited accounts, everyone gets paid.
YES! You are so smart and so right! Our check is still sitting in the "to deal with" pile, but at least we opened the envelope instead of assuming that it contained junk mail because we do all of our stuff with them online.

Dead Cat Don't feel bad, I work for an evil, earth-raping oil company, and I didn't figure it out either.

I think that most folks don't think to actually TURN their headlights on is because of the daytime running lights and the automatic sensor that turns their headlights on for them. They are used to their car using the proper lighting for the conditions, so don't bother to think about if they can be seen.

Fog and sometimes snow conditions defeat the sensors, so now people are driving around with their daytime running lights and NO TAIL LIGHTS in very bad light, but don't know that they are a hazard to others and themselves.

Thinking and situational awareness are becoming rather uncommon.

Last edited by flatlined; 01-20-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Like the rebate checks, I've read surprising stats regarding gift card use:

Give Grammy Gertrude a Cabela's card for Christmas, and she may never use it.

Let me tell you about the Borders card in my closet, with about $22 left on it... and a big stack of punched cards from a cute little coffee joint (a new owner came in and put up a sign "Not honoring any Coffee Cards")

You guys'll warn me when B&N's about to go under, right?