The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Illegal activity

This thread was closed for encouraging illegal activity.

The last line of the OP states, "I am legal!" I'll assume that Mewl Dear lives in a state where medical marijuana is legal, and has a valid prescription.

So why close it?
Advertisements  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM

I closed it because I didn't think it mattered if the OP has a prescription for it or not, it's still illegal in the US as a whole. Furthermore, the topic seemed to be inviting everyone to reply to talk about how they smoke it and what they like to do (as opposed to asking for advice on ways he could try), in which case I doubt everyone who replied would have a valid prescription.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
I closed it because I didn't think it mattered if the OP has a prescription for it or not, it's still illegal in the US as a whole.
But that's not at all being enforced in the medical marijuana states. Matter of fact, the U.S. Attorney's office here in Colorado recently ordered that medical marijuana dispensaries within 100 yards of a school be closed, and did nothing about those that were not.

Quote:
Furthermore, the topic seemed to be inviting everyone to reply to talk about how they smoke it and what they like to do (as opposed to asking for advice on ways he could try), in which case I doubt everyone who replied would have a valid prescription.
This makes sense.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Plus, the name of this site has at times given a confusing impression as to our purpose, so there's an extra incentive for the mods to nip discussions of that sort in the metaphorical bud.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Unfortunate.

It would be nice if the Straight Dope® could give the straight dope on "straight" (read:legal, at least in some places) dope.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Eh... while it's illegal on the federal level it's still not a good thing to have in discussion on the Dope.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
But that's not at all being enforced in the medical marijuana states.
Be that as it may, we defer to federal law in instances like this one. We're being conservative to try to avoid the very unlikely event that this causes some kind of problem for us or for posters.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
But that's not at all being enforced in the medical marijuana states. Matter of fact, the U.S. Attorney's office here in Colorado recently ordered that medical marijuana dispensaries within 100 yards of a school be closed, and did nothing about those that were not.
First of all it's 1000 feet. Secondly, the federal government's Attorney General in Colorado is simply allocating prosecutorial resources:
However, Walsh also said the targeted enforcement should not be interpreted as creating a "safe harbor" for medical marijuana dispensaries that are not within 1,000 feet of a school.

"This office will continue this program until all marijuana dispensaries in Colorado operating within 1,000 feet of a school have been warned and ceased operation," Walsh wrote in the letter. "To be clear, this program is not at the direction of Washington, D.C., but at my direction as U.S. Attorney and as a Coloradan, exercising the discretion that the Department of Justice has left local U.S. Attorneys to take local circumstances into account in determining how best to address the enforcement of federal laws against marijuana trafficking."

Read more: http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_2022...#ixzz1qI6WJG6B
Coloradodaily.com
Those who smoke pot break federal law. Of course prosecutors set priorities based upon the situation on the ground. By an astonishing coincidence, federal prosecutors in other jurisdictions have also adopted the 1000 foot guideline. But I would predict that federal enforcement behavior will fluctuate to some extent over the next several years.

More seriously, IMHO if somebody really wants to discuss this topic, they should exercise heightened care when they word their OP. Although thinking it over there are specialty message boards with more qualified discussants.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Given the gigantic number of deaths, medical expenses, and suffering caused by tobacco smoking, which the country is struggling to reduce or eliminate, it's insane and hypocritical to do anything that encourages any other kind of smoke inhalation. Period.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Accept no substitutes

That may well be, Sailboat, but that's not About This Message Board.

In fact, all these discussions about the issue are really not appropriate for this forum.

There's other forum areas for that kind of thing. (Within the law.) Not here, please.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Whoops.

Last edited by FinnAgain; 03-27-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM

So, if sodomy is illegal in my jurisdiction I can't post about the pleasures of anal sex?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
So, if sodomy is illegal in my jurisdiction I can't post about the pleasures of anal sex?
hey ...how about prostitution ...there are a few posters talking about picking up "girls"
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Or driving in the left lane when you're not passing
Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 AM

jaywalking ...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:22 AM

What if it had been titled How do you take your pot when you're in Peru?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM

It seems to me the Dope could put a disclaimer somewhere, saying something like "we neither support nor condone questionable activities, however, we realize that some adults choose to discuss these in an open forum and will allow it." Honestly, it's not like someone asked for advice on how to murder their neighbor and get away with it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How about we take every rule to its ridiculous extreme because if the rules aren't completely black and white we just can't handle it?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
How about we take every rule to its ridiculous extreme because if the rules aren't completely black and white we just can't handle it?
I can't think of much more ridiculous extreme example than worrying about promoting marijuana use.

Last edited by Procrustus; 03-28-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
IHonestly, it's not like someone asked for advice on how to murder their neighbor and get away with it.
Or have they?

Last edited by GrandWino; 03-28-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't think of much more ridiculous extreme example than worrying about promoting marijuana use.
Seems to me The Dope has made a business decision about dope and if you disagree with the decision, then you need to make your own decision as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Seems to me The Dope has made a business decision about dope and if you disagree with the decision, then you need to make your own decision as well.
Indeed, I decide to ridicule their decision endlessly (or until I get thrown out)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
It seems to me the Dope could put a disclaimer somewhere, saying something like "we neither support nor condone questionable activities, however, we realize that some adults choose to discuss these in an open forum and will allow it."
We could do that; nobody's asserting that we are legally required to handle things the way we do. But I wouldn't expect the current rules to be changed.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
How about your previous examples in this thread
Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM

I say pot talk should be banned simply for being boring and juvenile.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOIDALIZE View Post
I say pot talk should be banned simply for being boring and juvenile.
we could try raise it to a higher level. It certainly is no more boring than discussions of Dancing With the Stars, or more juvenile than the many TMI threads about farts and poop.