Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
BANNED

Amazing Race 3/6/11

I thought it was pretty funny when Zev told Kynt not to forget his make-up bag at the parking garage.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM

That mud!!! That looked horrible!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:32 PM
BANNED

Also, Jaime and Cara have an even more entitled, arrogant attitude than before, that seems to go perfectly with their new plastic and silicone features.

I like Mallory's enthusiasm, but she is clearly mentally unstable......
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM

I wish they did a better job of telling us what exactly is on the cards. Because normally, that many veteran TAR racers would never choose a needle in a haystack option. There had to be more information that we didn't see/hear.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 PM

I didn't quite get what happened with the fannypack at the Prayer Roadblock. Did the GTs pick it up by accident, and then realize it wasn't theirs, so they left it in the changing room?

I guess they should have taken it back where they found it, but at the same time, it sucks that they got a 30-minute delay.

I was surprised at how many chose the Find-A-Frog Roadblock over the Praying-In-A-Waterfall. You never pick the needle in a haystack option!

And never take a flight with any kind of layover. When the arrival time is negligible, always take the direct flight!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:07 PM

I was also shocked. The only explanation I could come up with is it was easier to find than the other one. Which would also explain how someone doing the frog task finished first so far ahead of the next team.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 PM

I'm really hoping that the Globetrotters took the bag accidentally. Even then, though, a 30-minute penalty for even accidentally delaying another team is standard. There was one season when someone took the wrong vehicle after a task (they had driven themselves to the task) and caused the other team a delay because of it.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM

I was also pretty shocked about almost everyone taking the needle in a haystack option, but other than the last two teams, it didn't seem to affect finish order at all.

I felt so sorry for poor
SPOILER:
Mel and Mike
shivering in the ambulance as the last team found their frog.

Last edited by Drain Bead; 03-06-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
I was also pretty shocked about almost everyone taking the needle in a haystack option, but other than the last two teams, it didn't seem to affect finish order at all.

I felt so sorry for poor
SPOILER:
Mel and Mike
shivering in the ambulance as the last team found their frog.
Yeah, that wasn't just "I'm cold". That was incipient hypothermia. You don't spend time with medics if you're just cold.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Zev: I'm not wearing any underwear.
Justin: That's hot.

-----

Justin: (putting arm around Zev) We're a team!
Zev: Don't touch me.

----

Could this team be any more awesome?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 PM

How hard was the Roadblock task that Zev & Justin, who arrived an hour behind the first plane, managed to catch up with the front half of the pack, and were then the 2nd team to leave!?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 AM

I really could have used some muddy Mallory close ups. Vixen too.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
How hard was the Roadblock task that Zev & Justin, who arrived an hour behind the first plane, managed to catch up with the front half of the pack, and were then the 2nd team to leave!?
Three very strong legs from Zev & Justin to start the Race, fourth at the Pit Stop that wasn't, first and first. Assuming they've learned their lesson about leaving passports lying around, this team could go far.

A strong showing from Kisha & Jen, too.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys have been slipping. Weren't they on the first plane to arrive in Tokyo, but arrived at the Roadblock after Zev & Justin? They may have gotten seriously lost while driving in Tokyo.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I'm really hoping that the Globetrotters took the bag accidentally. Even then, though, a 30-minute penalty for even accidentally delaying another team is standard. There was one season when someone took the wrong vehicle after a task (they had driven themselves to the task) and caused the other team a delay because of it.
Too bad it's about the stupidest way the producers could "resolve" that problem. Punishing the offending team not only barely helps the affected team, but every other remaining team as well. What this means is that the Globetrotters suffered a mild penalty for potentially crippling another team. What if the Globetrotters had thrown their bag into a tree or a lake? They'd be screwed, but there seems to be no protocol for that.

What they should have done is given the affected team a time credit for the time they spent looking for the bag, while penalizing the Globetrotters either with a set amount (as done), or perhaps even by the same amount the team was affected. Otherwise team's might as well hide other people's belongings whenever they get the chance.

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 03-07-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

We're back to the "go here, do this" kind of clues. Too bad.

Taxi Assessment:

Stuck in the Desert and Officially Detained - or, Philiminated with extreme prejudice.
Amanda & Kris - Already eliminated.
Mel & Mike (down from "Flat Tire") Why oh why did so many teams choose the needle-in-a-haystack Detour option? Despite Mike's fears, I doubt Mel was going to literally keel over--maybe this goes against the Official Storyline, but I had the impression that what Mike was really saying was, "this sucks, I hate it and want to quit, but I don't want to explicitly say so, so I'll cajole Dad into quitting." However, it's immaterial what I think, because Mel & Mike couldn't find the needle in the haystack, and eventually the dark and cold and time led to a pretty uncomfortable level of exposure, and apparently real medical issues. And so we see: this is why you don't choose the needle-is-a-haystack tasks. Maybe you get done quicker, but maybe you don't, and wind up shivering in the back of an ambulance.

Flat Tire - or, not likely to get anywhere soon.
Ron & Christina (holding steady) Confusingly, the official CBS recap implies that Ron & Christina were given a time credit (in addition to the Globetrotter's time penalty) for the fanny pack incident. (The recap says, "Ron & Christina jumped from fifth to third and sisters Kisha & Jen came in fourth after finding a frog," implying that Ron & Christina leapfrogged (ha!) Kisha & Jen.) That wasn't noted in the on-air episode, I don't think. In any case, with or without credit, Ron & Christina slipped into third place this week. That's by far their best showing this season. I might be tempted to move them up, but their overall average isn't all that impressive, and I still think they're the weakest team remaining. Let's see what they do next week.

Stopping for Gas - or, not broken-down, exactly, but not a good sign.
Kent & Vyxsin (holding steady) Kent & Vyxsin pull into seventh place. On the one hand, that's not bad, considering they had a delayed flight: they beat all the other teams on their flight, save Zev & Justin. On the other hand, Kent & Vyxsin have the worst average end-of-leg placement of any of the remaining teams. Like Ron & Christina, let's see what they do next week.
Jaime & Cara (holding steady) Jaime & Cara squeak into ninth place by passing a shivering Mel & Mike. I'd really like to know how much time their fender-bender cost them, since they were already in last place. It looks like they would have wound up in ninth place, regardless of their little incident.

"Rapido! Por Favor?" - or, making meaningless ineffectual comments from the back seat, but in no immediate danger.
Jet & Cord (down from "Passing") The cowboys really need to put their navigational hat on. The Roadblock was tailor-made for them, but they spent so much time wandering around that Zev & Justin, originally an hour behind, beat them to the site. I used to think Jet & Cord were the obvious front-runners on this race, but they're looking very, very beatable.
Margie & Luke (down from "Passing") We didn't see a lot from Margie & Luke this episode. They did OK, I suppose, apart from having bad airplane luck, but "OK" isn't quite enough.

In the Passing Lane - or, ahead of the pack, but not quite comfortably.
Kisha & Jen (up from "Rapido!") Kisha & Jen are actually looking pretty good, as the only team other than Zev & Justin to place in the top four on all three legs. They were helped by being one of the teams to have good luck with their flights (or, more precisely, "not have bad luck," but it's kind of the same in the end). Maybe that good luck makes this team look better than it really is, but for now I'm moving them up a notch.
Gary & Mallory (up from "Rapido!") A decent leg and a second-place finish moves Gary & Mallory up a notch in this week's rankings. I think this team has quite a lot of potential to move in either direction--Mallory's over-exuberance could be a real asset as long as she's aimed in the right direction, but she doesn't always seem to be. Still, Gary & Mallory have an unused Express Pass, and that could really come in handy.
Flight Time & Big Easy (holding steady) Accidentally taking Ron & Christina's fanny pack is an understandable mistake, but not returning it to the spot they took it from was a dick move. I mean, come on--adults should know that if you accidentally break something, you do your best to fix it, or at least clean up the mess. Shame on Flight Time & Big Easy, and if the rules reinforce that behavior (like assessing a time penalty for moving another team's stuff, but not reducing the penalty for trying to fix the mistake), then shame on TAR.

Cruisin' with Earl - or, drivin' on the shoulder, takin' shortcuts, and generally kickin' butt.
Zev & Justin ("up from "Rapido!") OK, OK, I'm a believer. I initially pooh-poohed this team's chances against what should be pretty good competition. But, had it not been for two flight delays well outside of their control, Zev & Justin would have led the competition for the entire Race--three complete legs back-to-back-to-back. As it was, despite landing an hour behind the lead teams this episode, Zev & Justin made up the time and cruised into another first-place finish.

Props to Mullinator and his Raj Rating
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM

The first plane landed at 6am and all but one team finished the leg after dark.

They spent a lot of unshown time figuring out where to go and navigating the streets of Tokyo.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zut View Post
Mel & Mike (down from "Flat Tire") Despite Mike's fears, I doubt Mel was going to literally keel over--maybe this goes against the Official Storyline, but I had the impression that what Mike was really saying was, "this sucks, I hate it and want to quit, but I don't want to explicitly say so, so I'll cajole Dad into quitting."
That's almost exactly what I said to my husband last night as we were watching. I understand that Mel is old and frail and prone to groin injuries, but Mike's hand-wringing and "Ooooooh my God! He's going to diiiiiiiiie!" last week and this week was too much for me.

I, too, was disappointed in the Globetrotters. I would have liked to have seen more clear description of what actually happened. I was thinking, though, that they're one of the few teams that I would not have minded seeing do the frog challenge, yet they chose the purification one. Seeing Margie in paper underwear? Not so hot. Seeing Zev's hairy back? Also not so hot. (I'll leave the Mallory and Vyxsin ogling to those who swing that way, although I did mention to my husband as we were watching that Mallory is appealing curvy, which is refreshing in a beauty queen.)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Mallory said something when she put on the diaper bikini like "This is just like Miss America, only add 50 pounds." So I presume she was practically anorexic then, or exaggerating now.

Zev and Justin got to the mat first on the leg where they were eliminated on their initial race, and seemed like a very smart, cohesive team. I've had them as my dark horse to win the whole thing all season, because the other two alpha male teams have significant flaws between the ears.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM

I heard "15 pounds".

Anyway, here's what she looked like in the Miss America version of mudpit wear: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/ZhQX1.../Mallory+Ervin

She's definitely not 50 pounds up from that (especially since that was only a year ago).
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I felt bad for Lucky Frog cluegiver...bellybounced and mauled TWICE by strangers covered in mud.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zut
In any case, with or without credit, Ron & Christina slipped into third place this week. That's by far their best showing this season. I might be tempted to move them up, but their overall average isn't all that impressive, and I still think they're the weakest team remaining. Let's see what they do next week.
They had the good luck of not picking the "Good Luck" detour, and doing the more reliably faster "Peace" option. Given that most of the teams smarter than they are picked the mud option, it must have looked easier based on the clues. R&C may have done just as well if they picked mud but probably not.

I'd love to seem them eliminated next, but they'll probably hang around way too long so Ron can torture me.

Last edited by Skammer; 03-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

My boys better cowboy up, or they'll find themselves in real trouble. Seriously, I don't remember them having this much trouble navigating on the last Race they were on. I remember them getting lost once, but nothing like every leg. Still, they seem to have unfailing courtesy to each other and the locals, as well as their fellow competitors. That buys a lot of good will from me.

StG
Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Kisha and Jen must have been popping out of those paper bras the whole time because every shot of them had the Amazing Blur in place. Odd, since Mallory's and Vyxsin's physiques seem more... blurworthy.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I felt bad for Lucky Frog cluegiver...bellybounced and mauled TWICE by strangers covered in mud.
I actually thought that was very funny.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM

In the first two episodes, every time he-goth has been on screen, they put the graphic up "Kynt." Except in this episode, they spelled it "Kent." And I notice it's "Kent" on the website as well. Was I imagining things?

It appears next week's episode takes the racers to China. Depending on where in China they go, Sinophones Ron and Christina might have a huge advantage.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Seltzer View Post
In the first two episodes, every time he-goth has been on screen, they put the graphic up "Kynt." Except in this episode, they spelled it "Kent." And I notice it's "Kent" on the website as well. Was I imagining things?
As I recall, he was "Kynt" during his original season. According to this, he changed his name back to "Kent" after his father died (whose death was mentioned last week), presumably as a way to honor his Dad.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Seltzer View Post
It appears next week's episode takes the racers to China. Depending on where in China they go, Sinophones Ron and Christina might have a huge advantage.
You would think so, although the previews seem to indicate that Ron's head explodes. But that could just be the Amazing Editors teasing us.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
They had the good luck of not picking the "Good Luck" detour, and doing the more reliably faster "Peace" option. Given that most of the teams smarter than they are picked the mud option, it must have looked easier based on the clues. R&C may have done just as well if they picked mud but probably not.
I wonder if they thought doing the prayers was going to be as exacting & difficult as learning the forms in the archery task.

I'm kind of surprised there are no non-stop flights from Sydney to Tokyo, but travelocity confirms it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Mallory said something when she put on the diaper bikini like "This is just like Miss America, only add 50 pounds." So I presume she was practically anorexic then, or exaggerating now.
She is quite the chatterbox but I did like her line that she yelled to the guys throwing mud as she was leaving the Mud Challenge that there would be be two red heads coming that will good in those outfits (or something like that).
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
She is quite the chatterbox but I did like her line that she yelled to the guys throwing mud as she was leaving the Mud Challenge that there would be be two red heads coming that will good in those outfits (or something like that).
And then... we hardly saw them.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I'm kind of surprised there are no non-stop flights from Sydney to Tokyo, but travelocity confirms it.
Qantas and Japan Airlines fly direct. I believe the 6:15 arrival flight was Qantas direct, and the delayed 6:00 flight was Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Taking the flight through HK, even with a 3 hour layover, for a 15 minute advantage was stupid. You're doubling the chances of being delayed for a nearly inconsequential advantage. I'm not surprised it bit them.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenner116 View Post
Qantas and Japan Airlines fly direct. I believe the 6:15 arrival flight was Qantas direct, and the delayed 6:00 flight was Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong.
Right, direct, but not non-stop. I would have guessed there was enough traffic between Tokyo & Sydney for a non-stop to be economically feasible, but apparently not.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Taking the flight through HK, even with a 3 hour layover, for a 15 minute advantage was stupid. You're doubling the chances of being delayed for a nearly inconsequential advantage. I'm not surprised it bit them.
That's what I was thinking as well, this isn't near the end of the race, it's right at the start. Fifteen minutes isn't enough to make me want to risk missing the plane.

I'm surprised that they didn't say something to the Globetrotters when they arrived at the mat. I would have thought the cameraman would have said something.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Right, direct, but not non-stop.
What's the difference? I thought direct WAS non-stop, otherwise it wouldn't be direct, because it's stopping at an airport en route.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zut View Post
Despite Mike's fears, I doubt Mel was going to literally keel over--maybe this goes against the Official Storyline, but I had the impression that what Mike was really saying was, "this sucks, I hate it and want to quit, but I don't want to explicitly say so, so I'll cajole Dad into quitting."
Yeah, I'm glad to see them go--the level of overly-hysterical drama was just too much. I completely understand that they were both freezing and suffering possible hypothermia, but...

...either dad is too fucking frail to race (or get out of bed unassisted, or eat using a fork, or...etc, given the amount of sniveling from the son) in which case they shouldn't be there or

...dad is a lot tougher than the whiney, sobby, tear-soaked son makes it sound.

Regardless, I'm happy they're gone.

The cowboys who I loved last time are getting on my nerves this time. So far, I believe they've gotten lost every time. Yeah, they kick ass at the actual challenges, but the "Can't read clues, can't read maps, can't follow directions" thing that was kind of endearing last time is just grating this time.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post

I'm surprised that they didn't say something to the Globetrotters when they arrived at the mat. I would have thought the cameraman would have said something.
That bothered me too. Intentionally or not they affected another team's play outside what I expect are the allowed tolerances of the game. It seems Phil would have been pre-warned that this happened and should have imposed a penalty when they checked in.

As it played out, it almost seemed to say "Well, since you complained, we'll do something about it. If you hadn't mentioned it, we might have ignored it."
Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
What's the difference? I thought direct WAS non-stop, otherwise it wouldn't be direct, because it's stopping at an airport en route.
Direct means that you don't change planes, though there might be a stop along the way where some people get off and others get on.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
True, although if you noticed the starting time for the teams at the beginning of the leg, they all left the Sydney Pit Stop within one hour of each other, so in that case 15 minutes would be a huge advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief
Right, direct, but not non-stop. I would have guessed there was enough traffic between Tokyo & Sydney for a non-stop to be economically feasible, but apparently not.
Huh? I just looked on the Qantas website for flights from Sydney to Tokyo and the first result is a non-stop flight.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
My thought was you may be able to find something faster in Hong Kong during the layover.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Direct means that you don't change planes, though there might be a stop along the way where some people get off and others get on.
Yes - in fact I'd say "direct" means there's absolutely a stop, because otherwise they'd call it a non-stop - I learned this to my chagrin many years ago. If I was on TAR, I'd be inclined to take a non-stop that was scheduled to arrive anywhere up to an hour after a direct, just because a direct has many more opportunities for delay. The intermediate airport could have weather or traffic issues that are slowing things down, they may hold your 2nd leg because a connecting flight that has a bunch of passengers scheduled for your plane hasn't arrived yet, they may change flight or cabin crew at the intermediate airport, and they haven't arrived, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows of Doom
Huh? I just looked on the Qantas website for flights from Sydney to Tokyo and the first result is a non-stop flight.
You're right. For some reason, I had originally selected Mar 21 as a travel date, and both travelocity & Qantas decline to show the redeye non-stop for that date - I guess it's already fully booked?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Looking at booking sites, the direct Qantas Sydney->Tokyo flight is 9hr 45mins, while the Cathay Pacific flight via Hong Kong is 16hr 20 mins. Yikes. Seems like they edited out a lot of down time for the Qantas folks at the the airport, because obviously the Cathay folks must have left many hours ahead of the Qantas folks.

Maybe I am misremembering how competitive the cowboys were in their season, but they have been completely disappointing so far. They're lucky their "drive until we find it" strategy didn't have them getting completely off track this round.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I fly maybe once a year, and that for less than a decade now.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Yeah, I'm glad to see them go--the level of overly-hysterical drama was just too much. I completely understand that they were both freezing and suffering possible hypothermia, but...

...either dad is too fucking frail to race (or get out of bed unassisted, or eat using a fork, or...etc, given the amount of sniveling from the son) in which case they shouldn't be there or

Preach it, brother. Dad wasn't much better when they were rolling around in the mud. He said something like, "I'd rather die right here with you than home in bed." If you're that close to death, then perhaps the Amazing Race is not for you. If you're healthy enough to race, then sack up and race.

I'm also feeling less love for the cowboys this time around. I hope it's just a matter of them not getting their legs under them quite yet and that they'll improve and soon. And if not, there are other teams I'm happy to root for (Flight Time and Big Easy, I'm looking [way up] at you!)
Old 03-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Even that's not a certainty...a "direct" flight may feature an equipment change at the stopover point where they move you off one plane and onto another. Not common, but it happens.

"Non-stop" is the only way you know for certain the plane you get on at the origin will be the plane you leave at the arrival city (barring mechanical/medical emergencies).
Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

The Cowboys started off slowly on their last race too. Weren't they close to the bottom on their first couple of legs?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare View Post
That bothered me too. Intentionally or not they affected another team's play outside what I expect are the allowed tolerances of the game. It seems Phil would have been pre-warned that this happened and should have imposed a penalty when they checked in.

As it played out, it almost seemed to say "Well, since you complained, we'll do something about it. If you hadn't mentioned it, we might have ignored it."
I'm guessing that it took the production team a little while to figure out what happened and assess an appropriate penalty, and they hadn't sorted it out by the time the Globetrotters hit the mat. This could have been because of bad communications, or maybe it just took time to review the tape. (Christina could have misremembered where she left her fannypack, then jumped to the wrong conclusion when finding it back at the changing room. Contrariwise, the Globetrotters could have taken the pack on purpose. Luckily, cameras are rolling the entire time.)
Old 03-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post

Regardless, I'm happy they're gone.
I'm not a fan of Mel & Mike, but I was rooting for them over Jaime & Cara. Even if Mel & Mike had survived, they wouldn't have lasted much longer, and I just don't care for the redheads.*

* Wow, there's a phrase I never thought I'd hear myself type.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Cowboys started off slowly on their last race too. Weren't they close to the bottom on their first couple of legs?
I think that's right. Remember when they found out they were going to Argentina, so they exchanged their US Dollars for Brazilian money? Or something of that sort.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're probably remembering that they had dropped to the back at some time during some of the first few legs (I had the same impression). However, they never finished a leg any lower than fourth until leg 7, when they finished sixth but were saved by a non-elimination. This season they've already notched a sixth, in addition to their eleventh-place finish in leg one.