Old 07-01-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
For most families up until modern times teens would not have had a bedroom to themselves.

Greater affluence and modern small family sizes would allow a kid to have a room of their own...
And even in extremely affluent families of yesteryear it simply didn't occur to parents that each child would need his/her own room. All of Tsar Nicholas II's daughters grew up sharing a room and IIRC even Queen Elizabeth II father & uncles shared bedrooms before they came of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
...And going back further in time, kids didn't have the number of toys and clothes they have now. Look at the closets of an older home. They were the size of a broom closet (if that's even a thing anymore!) People only had a couple of changes of clothes. It's pretty hard to leave a pile of clean clothes mixed with dirty clothes and wet towels when you only have one outfit for school/church and one for play and probably only a couple of towels for the entire family.
The house I grew up in didn't even have closets in the bedrooms; they were all in the hallway. I was never really allowed to let my room get messy, and buy the time I was a teenager I kept my room very clean out of paranoia that I mother would get tempted to straighten it up herself and discover things like my pot or assorted gay literature & erotica.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
And even in extremely affluent families of yesteryear it simply didn't occur to parents that each child would need his/her own room. All of Tsar Nicholas II's daughters grew up sharing a room and IIRC even Queen Elizabeth II father & uncles shared bedrooms before they came of age.

The house I grew up in didn't even have closets in the bedrooms; they were all in the hallway. I was never really allowed to let my room get messy, and buy the time I was a teenager I kept my room very clean out of paranoia that I mother would get tempted to straighten it up herself and discover things like my pot or assorted gay literature & erotica.
That must have been a very old house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
I've always interpreted this to mean hoarding gold or money, as a miser.

From what I've seen and read, modern-day pathological hoarding could not exist without the mass production of cheap goods. The Collyer brothers did have a number of interesting artifacts from earlier in their lives, but most of the space in their house was taken up by things like old newspapers. Langley Collyer saved years and years of newspapers, as he said, so his brother could "catch up on the news" when he recovered his eyesight.
I think you're right, i.e. Dante was probably thinking of hoarding gold/money when he wrote that. But really, the principle is no different: hoarding, whether it focuses on money or material objects, is about a pathological obsession with acquiring and retaining things. In either case, the root cause is a distorted perception of the things' value, or an irrational fear of running out.