The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Old 06-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
So he would have had to work out how to gain access to that floor, which doesn't seem to fit with "drunken impulse".
Well, maybe in this case but not necessarily in general. I performed some amazingly intricate mischief while under the influence back in my salad days.
Advertisements  
Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
I hope he spends at least the next 5 years over there planting apple trees. At least 5. Fuck this guy.

Well, you got your wish and he got good and fucked. Why don't you write this in a card and send it to his family in Cincinnati?
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Well, you got your wish and he got good and fucked. Why don't you write this in a card and send it to his family in Cincinnati?
"Five years planting apple trees," is pretty far from, "beaten into a year-long coma he never recovers from."
Old 06-24-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post

I doubt he was being persecuted based on his religion though. It's all the same to North Korea.
Probably not. But North Korea is positively on the Palestinian side in the conflict with Israel, which it labels 'imperialist'. Also though I know of no survey of NK public feelings about Jews, South Korea scores surprisingly high on antisemitism in ADL's global survey, 53% v 9% in the US, 8% in the UK, 37% in France, 20% China, 23% Japan. Part of the might be in how outspoken people are about their harsh opinions of others in different countries, but still interesting. And to the extent it has anything to do with the element of Korean culture that remains common between North and South (one theory might be that diaspora Koreans often find themselves in competition with Jews in the US among 'over achieving minorities' and that competitive tension feeds back through family ties to create negative ROK attitudes toward Jews, which wouldn't apply to NK).
http://global100.adl.org/

Last edited by Corry El; 06-24-2017 at 02:45 PM..
Old 06-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
"Five years planting apple trees," is pretty far from, "beaten into a year-long coma he never recovers from."

"Fuck this guy" means "fuck this guy." When you're talking about leaving someone to his fate in the hands of a cruel and brutal regime, this pitch me was perfectly foreseeable. So if you say he deserves to be left in the hands of that system, this is what you're saying he deserves.