The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Can i get amazon prime free trial twice?

I used amazon prime for free trial 30 days back a few years ago and then cancelled it so i dont have to pay the 79/year fee. Im going to purchase some other stuff on amazon now and i see they say

FREE Two-Day Shipping on this Order: We'd like to give you another chance to try Amazon Prime. Start a free trial and save $6.76 on this order by selecting "FREE Two-Day Shipping with a free trial of Amazon Prime" below.

Does this mean i can actually use it again as a trial? I thought it was a 1 time thing but this description sounds like its giving me another free trial? Or am i wrong here?

Also would it be possible for me to use an old college email account for a free 1 year trial if i already done the 30 day free trial? I graduated college back 5 years ago but i read some ppl did this even with an old college edu acct 10 years ago and it still works.
Advertisements  
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Why don't you just try it?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Dont want to accept and then get billed 79 dollars for it.

Wanted to know if someone here had prime twice and thus could cancel it before 30 day trial.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Well, I'll say this: I've had Prime for several years now (and it's great if you shop at Amazon a lot), but whenever I initially signed up for it (with a student email), I canceled it before the charges hit. It was super easy to cancel, nothing tricky or anything. I then later signed back up for a free month, then decided to keep the service afterward.

So, in summary, yeah you probably can do it, just don't forget to cancel it before the trial ends.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 PM

thanks for your response. I dont buy amazon much but i definitely dont mind getting stuff faster.

Anyone else can confirm this?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 PM

My experience is much the same as EatTheSun -- you can select "do not renew my prime account" somewhere in the account menu. When I did that a year or two ago, I could sign up for the trial and immediately select "do not renew" and still use the entire 30 day trial period.

(I too eventually paid for it, after juggling free trials for a few years. Out of curiosity... does the Prime free streaming have anything that's not available on Netflix or Hulu?)
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM

They fill in each other's gaps pretty well last I checked, but since none of my TV-connected devices natively stream Prime, I don't use it often.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 PM

Lazybratsche,

There was at least a couple of days between Amazon getting DS9 (may have been a specific season) and Netflix. They both have it now, but for at least one moment in time - Amazon had something that Netflix didn't. I don't know that much about Hulu.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 PM

I've had 3 free trials IIRC. As already stated, make sure you know when your trial ends, then cancel before that day.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM

I've had 3-4 trials as well, although I haven't tried it in over a year so maybe they've gotten wise to it. Instead of using your old college email account, my suggestion would be to set up a free web-based email account, such as Gmail or Yahoo to use for your trial account.