Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 AM
greggamma greggamma is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
What happened? Electrical circuit education needed

I hooked a 9 Volt battery using 2 alligator clips to a piece of copper plate. Here is what happened 1) My volt meter read nothing. 2) There was a pop sound 3)The battery heated up quickly...less than 15 seconds.
Now A) What can I do to prevent that? B) WHAT happened? The battery tests at 8.6 volts with my multimeter c)If a battery has 9 Volts of potential why does it overheat when basically taking in what it puts out? Its the same voltage and current. Since the metal is resisting it I would have thought there was even LESS energy going back to the battery. D) Do I just need a resistor in the wire to lower the voltage going to the plate?
Thanks for any info.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017