The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 AM

"Saul Goodman" = "It's all good, man"?

I'm not sure if it's been done before, but as I was rewatching Breaking Bad in preparation for Season 5 (totally unrelated to the other current thread) something occurred to me:

Since Saul Goodman's name is an alias anyway, do you think his character meant it to sound like "It's all good, man"? I don't know why I never picked up on it, it seems pretty obvious if you think about it, and totally fits with his whole cheesy lawyer ad, the constitution as wallpaper in his office, etc.

If he himself didn't intend it like that, do you think the writers of the show at least wanted to send a (subliminal) message about him?
Advertisements  
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchmeister View Post
I'm not sure if it's been done before, but as I was rewatching Breaking Bad in preparation for Season 5 (totally unrelated to the other current thread) something occurred to me:

Since Saul Goodman's name is an alias anyway, do you think his character meant it to sound like "It's all good, man"? I don't know why I never picked up on it, it seems pretty obvious if you think about it, and totally fits with his whole cheesy lawyer ad, the constitution as wallpaper in his office, etc.

If he himself didn't intend it like that, do you think the writers of the show at least wanted to send a (subliminal) message about him?
Saul does use it as a catchphrase in his online advertising, so even if it isn't a deliberately chosen alias, he's at least aware of it.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 AM

What episode is that in? I'd love to take a closer look at that website.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
I'm not quite through season two of the show yet, but it seems to me that if it's a subliminal message, it's redundant. "It's all good, man" sends the message that the guy is a complete sleaze on every level, and that's the same impression you get from his words and actions and the TV commercials. So I hope they didn't spend too much time on the clever name. The pretending to be Jewish thing was a nice touch, though, and so far, Bob Odenkirk seems like great casting.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM

Now you have me wondering if Saul is even a real lawyer!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
What episode is that in? I'd love to take a closer look at that website.
Oh, sorry. When you referred to his ad, I thought you meant his in-world website . Check it out, it's hilarious. And canon!

Last edited by Private Bin; 03-27-2012 at 09:02 PM..