Old 07-27-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hawk
I dunno about this recommendation--those books are pretty much the definition of dense and long-winded.
Hey, chacun a son gout or whatever. I found them Dickensian and atmospheric, and a bracing antidote to the prancing elves and fairies of much fantasy lit.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

BAH!

Enough of this civilized simpering!

Read some real Fantasy! The kind that will grow hair on your chest! Robert E. Howards Conan!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hawk
I dunno about this recommendation--those books are pretty much the definition of dense and long-winded.
Recent thread on Gormenghast
Old 07-27-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll second George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire & Ice series as a good one if you're looking for compelling multi-faceted characters. The author does strive to create a fully-realized world, which means world lore will be thrust upon you from time to time, but I find Martin's prose much more readable (and less rambling) than Tolkein's. It's not a mystery filled with puzzles, but the political maneuverings satisfy my itch for cleverness and analysis, and characters do often find themselves in difficult situations that could be solved with a (often political) puzzle-like solution (they often don't hit upon the correct one, though!).
As much as I love The Song of Ice and Fire series, I don't know that I'd recommend it to someone who doesn't normally like fantasy. It may not be heavy on the fantasy elements, but it's not exactly a light romp either. They're some of the most politically heavy books I've ever read.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
There's also American Gods and Anansi Boys by Neal Gaiman.
Came in here to say this. I'm a little off-put by fantasy as well, and tend to stick to scifi and horror when reading impossible fiction. I liked LOTR, but was unable to get into Harry Potter.

Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman was good too. American Gods is still one of my favorites. It's funny because when I describe the story to others it totally sounds like something I wouldn't be into. I'm glad I took the time to read it.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 AM

The Golden Compass, book one of "Dark Materials" is a good light read. Its also getting ready to be a movie, so there ya go.