Old 02-19-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I realize this is getting pretty far down the road into the future dystopia, but when the GOP controlled the Congress, one fear of mine was that Trump would try to create his own special domestic police forces. I suppose the CBP and ICE would qualify, but they're limited in scope.

Trump's best bet would be to start by cleaning out the FBI and replacing agents and battering ram guys with loyalists. It might take another year or two, but in time, he could reshape the agency into his image. DHS also has a large domestic police force.
Why not all three? That guy in 1930s-40s Germany had several (spiffily-uniformed) military forces to command; why shouldn't Donald?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of organizations and corporations that also have modern arms and defenses. Trump could fire everyone not loyal to him and have a new batch of hungry and grateful troops and new commanding officers within a few days. How many of them would walk away from the chance for legitimacy AND a good, steady paycheck?

If you think Blackwater was the only mercenary/security company in the US, you're sadly mistaken; it's at least a $100B/year business. And more and more, they are already acting like cops.

Here: watch this 6:14 video about Detroit's Threat Management Services and tell me those folks wouldn't love to be told they were now actual cops. The piece notes, btw, that many people think TMC does a better job than the Detroit PD. Then, the piece talks a bit about how much things cost.
I think you're quite right about this. And as Trump's 'ride on Obama's economic legacy' luck runs out, and the economy starts to sputter, jobs with the Trump-Shirts are going to be looking even better.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:18 PM

Not sure which thread is appropriate, but in light of this current discussion: apparently "boogaloo" is the code-word for right-wing militias and yabbos to start a-shootin':

Quote:
Feb. 19, 2020, 10:10 AM EST
By Brandy Zadrozny
An anti-government movement that advocates for a violent uprising targeting liberal political opponents and law enforcement has moved from the fringes of the internet into the mainstream and surged on social media in recent months, according to a group of researchers that tracks hate groups.

The movement, which says it wants a second Civil War organized around the term "boogaloo," includes groups on mainstream internet platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Reddit, as well as fringe websites including 4chan, according to a report released Tuesday night by the Network Contagion Research Institute (NCRI), an independent nonprofit of scientists and engineers that tracks and reports on misinformation and hate speech across social media. ...
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-...nized-n1138461
Old 02-19-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Here: watch this 6:14 video about Detroit's Threat Management Services and tell me those folks wouldn't love to be told they were now actual cops. The piece notes, btw, that many people think TMC does a better job than the Detroit PD.
Yeah, but do they have an ED-209?
Old 02-19-2020, 08:44 PM

Trump's pardons and commutations are already providing him with handsome returns on his zero-skin investment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Illinois Democratic Gov. and convicted felon Rod Blagojevich
I’m a Trumpocrat. If I had the ability to vote, I would vote for him.
The article does note:
Quote:
Felons in Illinois can vote once they leave prison, though they have to register again, according to the state Board of Elections.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greenjeans View Post
Yeah. 209, 210; whatever it takes.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-19-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:01 PM

Trump loyalist now acting oppo research - er, intelligence chief.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/19/polit...dni/index.html
Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Thankfully, temporarily.

Quote:
from link:
Grenell, also a former Fox News contributor, is not expected to be nominated for the full-time director position, which would require Senate confirmation.
His track record as US ambassador to Germany has also raised concerns, even among some Republicans.
"Some Republicans are outraged with the job he has done as ambassador, there is no way he could get confirmed," a source familiar with the move said.
So eventually Micheal Flynn, then?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Trump's pardons and commutations are already providing him with handsome returns on his zero-skin investment:The article does note:
Iíd say he sold his soul in exchange for the votes of the Blagojevich family...except Iím sure he sold it long ago.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:12 PM

In this instance, the Blagos sold their souls and having to become Trumpists is the price the Devil set.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Iíd say he sold his soul in exchange for the votes of the Blagojevich family...except Iím sure he sold it long ago.
You assume he had one to begin with.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:30 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

Well, Trump is NYC conman. It's not like one of those hasn't sold the same bridge over and over.
Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
You assume he had one to begin with.
He has the biggliest, best, amazingiest soul ever known. Nobody has as grate a soul Ė how else could he hope to Make America Grate Again? (The soul is the thing that demands hamberders, right?)
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:

I wonder if Mike Pence needs his wife in the room with him when meeting with Grennell, who is openly gay?
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I wasn't familiar with this guy, so I took a gander at his Wikipedia page. Appears to be another example of Trump picking the "best people", i.e. an unqualified sycophant.

Quote:
Der Spiegel published a profile of Grenell on January 11, 2019, using interviews with 30 ďAmerican and German diplomats, cabinet members, lawmakers, high-ranking officials, lobbyists and think tank experts". The magazine claimed that "Almost all of these sources paint an unflattering portrait of the ambassador, one remarkably similar to Donald Trump, the man who sent him to Berlin. A majority of them describe Grenell as a vain, narcissistic person who dishes out aggressively, but can barely handle criticism." The profile claimed that Grenell is politically isolated in Berlin because of his association with the far-right Alternative for Germany Party, causing the leaders of the mainstream German parties, including the Chancellor herself, to avoid contact with him.[34] The sources claimed that Grenell "knows little about Germany and Europe, that he ignores most of the dossiers his colleagues at the embassy write for him, and that his knowledge of the subject matter is superficial."
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Why not all three? That guy in 1930s-40s Germany had several (spiffily-uniformed) military forces to command; why shouldn't Donald?
He doesn't have the brains or the stones. Mussolini is more his speed. True, their uniforms weren't as spiffy as the Hugo Boss ones, but you can't have everything.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Stone just got sentenced to 40 months in prison.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; Yesterday at 12:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Stone just got sentenced to 40 months in prison.
How long till the pardon?
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
*pulls out stopwatch*
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

40 months? That’s barely enough time for him to die in prison.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Quote:
How many days 'til November 4, 2020?
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Based on his behavior the past two weeks, I’m surprised he hasn’t pardoned him already.
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Based on his behavior the past two weeks, Iím surprised he hasnít pardoned him already.
Yeah, not sure why anyone thinks he needs to wait till after the election. King Trump don't give a fuck and King Trump's dumbshit followers don't have a fuck.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, not sure why anyone thinks he needs to wait till after the election. King Trump don't give a fuck and King Trump's dumbshit followers don't have a fuck.
I was going to correct my typo but gave up due to all the errors this morning. At this point, I don't have a 502 Bad Gateway Fuck.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

Quote:
And if he doesn't get re-elected, he won't give a fuck about Stone either. (unless Stone has more dirt on Trump, which he probably does).
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Individual 1 just issued an executive order diverting water from the Sacramento River Delta, where it's protecting endangered fish, to send it to the Central Valley farmers who vote for him.
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...reversal-from?
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Fish don't vote.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Fish don't vote.
Conservationists do, but they wouldn't vote for him anyway.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Arpaio was pardoned before he was sentenced, allowing him to petition to have his conviction vacated, which the judge did. Stone already has been sentenced, so his conviction will stand, until it might be upended on an appeal. But a pardon locks the conviction in Ė essentially, accepting a pardon amounts to an admission of guilt.

Why would this matter? Because, as a guilty person, Stone would have no 5A right to evade self-incrimination on the subject of his crime. It would be profoundly dangerous for Individual-ONE to leave a bomb like that lying around.

No, I do not think he is able to comprehend that concept. But there are people in his circle who do, who might be able to prevent the stupid.
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

The NY Times is reporting that the outgoing Director of National Intelligence briefed lawmakers, that Russia is continuing to work for the re-election of Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
The day after the Feb. 13 briefing to lawmakers, Mr. Trump berated Joseph Maguire, the outgoing acting director of national intelligence, for allowing it to take place, people familiar with the exchange said.
So, Trump is not upset the Russia is working for his benefit. He's pissed that the DNI talked about it; and he's pissed that Adam Schiff was allowed to hear it, instead of just limiting it to friendly Republicans.

And Maguire was fired the next day and replaced by a know-nothing toady, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Conservationists do, but they wouldn't vote for him anyway.
So from Trumps point of view killing the fish is a win in and of itself.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Arpaio was pardoned before he was sentenced, allowing him to petition to have his conviction vacated, which the judge did. Stone already has been sentenced, so his conviction will stand, until it might be upended on an appeal. But a pardon locks the conviction in Ė essentially, accepting a pardon amounts to an admission of guilt.

Why would this matter? Because, as a guilty person, Stone would have no 5A right to evade self-incrimination on the subject of his crime. It would be profoundly dangerous for Individual-ONE to leave a bomb like that lying around.

No, I do not think he is able to comprehend that concept. But there are people in his circle who do, who might be able to prevent the stupid.
These are important considerations.

But former SDNY prosecutor Elie Honig says:

Quote:
...a person who has been pardoned generally could not invoke the Fifth Amendment to remain silent (the rationale being, if a person can't be convicted, how can he have a right against self-incrimination?). However, a recipient of a presidential pardon might claim that he has continuing exposure under state laws -- which generally lie beyond the scope of a presidential pardon -- thereby justifying an invocation of the Fifth Amendment. ...
https://www.kimt.com/content/national/505057322.html

So Donald has even less chance of ever understanding the situation.

(my emphasis in quote)
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
More Filets-'o'-Fish for Donald!
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post

I did not know that. Thanks for the edification!
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greenjeans View Post
They did. It was disappointing.
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I did not know that. Thanks for the edification!
The relevant case, a hundred fifteen years ago, was Burdick v. US, in which Prez Woody issued a pardon to the editor of the New York Tribune in order to abrogate his 5A rights, so that he could be forced to reveal a leak source. Burdick refused the pardon, and SCotUS upheld his right to do that.
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Not sure which thread is appropriate, but in light of this current discussion: apparently "boogaloo" is the code-word for right-wing militias and yabbos to start a-shootin':

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-...nized-n1138461
If they start a war, the rest of us will finish it for them. Fucking idiots forget they aren't the only armed folks.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Thankfully, temporarily.

So eventually Micheal Flynn, then?
All Trump has to do, is name him as "acting" and avoid any vetting process. The Repugs in the Senate will go along with it.
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
40 months? Thatís barely enough time for him to die in prison.
I hope the fuck gets Epsteined for knowing too much.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Individual 1 criticizes the Academy Award for naming a South Korean film Best Picture.
https://uproxx.com/movies/parasite-t...ter-reactions/
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Individual 1 criticizes the Academy Award for naming a South Korean film Best Picture.
Just came here to post that. Christ, what an asshole.

I canít see him understanding Parasite, anyway. Or having the ability to read the subtitles.

Also, Sunset Boulevard seems rather too subtle for him. If he could muster the attention span to sit through an entire movie, it would feature lots of flying glass and topless babes.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Does he even eat fish? I was of the impression Trump is a burnt-steak and hamberder kind of guy.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You left out the part where the Very Stable Genius said that a movie released in 1939 should have won instead.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You left out the part where the Very Stable Genius said that a movie released in 1939 should have won instead.
I don't think Trump watches or remembers movies unless he's in them (i.e. Home Alone 2), so when he tried to think of a famous movie that might have won an Oscar, his camel of thought wandered the desert of his mind and stumbled across Gone With the Wind, though I doubt he knows anything else about it.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quote:
In a rare moment of self control, Trump stopped himself before blurting out Birth of a Nation.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
In a rare moment of self control, Trump stopped himself before blurting out Birth of a Nation.
Oh, he definitely could not have read his way through that.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Does he even eat fish? I was of the impression Trump is a burnt-steak and hamberder kind of guy.
Iíve read that his usual dinner order is a Big Mac, fries, Diet Coke, and a filet-o-fish sandwich.

I think he believes that a small slab of fried white fish with processed cheese and tartar sauce on white bread is health food.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Heck, Trump couldn't even stay focused during the births of his own children, wandering off to get laid somewhere.
Old Today, 12:05 AM

Quote:

"It was the best of times and the worst of times because someone lost but they had women who knew their place* and they were 10s!"

*Not getting the point of the movie and only paying for the 10s. Only married for the last time an 8, I guess, looking at her pix over the years as she went under plastic surgery. Melania only sees Trump as a 10 due to a pre-nup and she really can't open her eyes due to plastic surgery (seriously... look at her younger pix!).

AKA playing to his base. They want a plastic Barbie, a country agreeing with them... and welfare.