Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Next books to read.

So I'm almost finished with the last paperback Dresden Files book, and I recently finished A Feast for Crows. I'm looking for a new series, or maybe just a new novel for my escapist reading. It should be reasonably well written and exciting, with a lot of action and some fantastic content. Science fiction is fine, but I'm looking for more action and less thought provoking speculation, though some of that is fine. Straightforward non-supernatural or SF thrillers are good too. Any suggestions?

Just FTR

Game of Thrones
What I liked: It's very well written. No clunky passages, no sentences that made me cringe. reasonably well developed characters, and an unpredictable, cliche free plot.

What I didn't: Lots of rambling storylines that go nowhere. Obviously I haven't read the ending, but right now it seems like the whole thing could have been a trilogy. Also
SPOILER:
Everyone you care about dies

Dresden Files
What I liked: Fun trashy entertainment. Butcher can write an action scene that rocks. There are Scary Monsters, and a rich if somewhat haphazard universe.

What I didn't: It's kind of...cheesy, isn't it? Some of the writing drifts into being just too arch and snarky, though usually Butcher redeems himself in the action sequences. Also it really is trashy, not that there's anything wrong with that!