Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 08-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I'm holding off exploring Argus until I finish 7.2. My current push is unlocking flying. I hate rep grinds, always have, always will.
Luckily for you, they removed the worst of the rep grind for the pathfinder achievement in 7.3, as the Suramar campaign is no longer rep-gated. You'll still need to get to revered with all the factions for the diplomat achievement, but you no longer need to grind out nightfallen rep to almost exalted to get the good suramaratarian part of the achievement. That was the worst part, so your timing on coming back is good.

I do feel the need to point out that Argus is a no-fly zone and will remain no-flying, much like the timeless isle, so not having flying there is not a disadvantage. There is also a truck-load of catch-up gear in the Argus zones, including BoA 880 gear tokens, again like the timeless isle. You might want to re-consider holding off on it.
Advertisements  
  #402  
Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 12,323
What's Concordance?

Anyway, I only recently started playing Legion content again. After I got my paladin to 110 last year, I decided that my old iMac just wasn't handling the graphics very well. I've spent most of my time since then just solo-farming old raids for transmog, farming ore & herbs in my WoD garrisons for gold, and working on my "one of every class, leveled together" project (they're all at 70 now, or close to it).

But I'm back at it in Legion, and now my mage is at 110, my rogue at 109, and my shaman at 106. I'm thinking they must have tweaked something with the graphics, because performance is better now. I know my iMac hasn't gotten any younger.

I got back to it so close to 7.3 that I barely had time to farm Legionfall WQs, and only built up enough Nethershards for one piece of 880 Relinquished gear before that vendor disappeared. Also didn't manage to obtain a single Legendary before 7.3 dropped, though that's not surprising - I haven't been doing anything but WQs. No dungeons, etc., because the one dungeon I ran about a year ago showed me that the spell effects from other players still kill my FPS enough to make dungeons almost unplayable.

I also didn't read the patch notes closely enough, so my paladin wasted 1000 Order Hall Resources on AK research that turned into vendor trash the next day.

My gnome rogue has finished Val'Sharah and Azsuna and headed for Stormheim, and I've discovered that they still haven't managed to fix the opening quest glitch that keeps dumping you back to Stormwind Harbor. Had to abandon and reacquire the quest six times before it worked.
  #403  
Old 08-30-2017, 01:37 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 35,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
Lore-wise, a fairy sharp left turn after the build-up of Patch 7.2 and 7.2.5. I didn't watch any of the spoilery cinematics, so I was slightly gob-smacked when it went down. No, I won't spoil it here.
Yeah, as non-spoilery as possible, I got to THAT cinematic last night and screamed "HOLY SHIT!" out loud. Scared the hell out of my husband...

Also agreed on the new Fel Reavers. Three seconds off of the Vindicaar and I hear that screech. Primal BC terror grabbed me by the gut.
  #404  
Old 08-30-2017, 01:40 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 35,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Also didn't manage to obtain a single Legendary before 7.3 dropped, though that's not surprising - I haven't been doing anything but WQs. No dungeons, etc., because the one dungeon I ran about a year ago showed me that the spell effects from other players still kill my FPS enough to make dungeons almost unplayable.
Not doing dungeons or raids shouldn't have caused you to not get any Legendaries. They drop off of everything...emissary boxes, world quests, rare mobs, Blingtron 6000 boxes. You just had really bad luck.
  #405  
Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 12,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Not doing dungeons or raids shouldn't have caused you to not get any Legendaries. They drop off of everything...emissary boxes, world quests, rare mobs, Blingtron 6000 boxes. You just had really bad luck.
Eh, I only started playing Legion content again maybe three weeks ago. Been killing plenty of rares, but until yesterday the paladin was my only 110.

I did finally get around to rolling a demon hunter. I had to empty out and delete a bank alt to open up a slot on my main server. After finishing the starting area, I was bemoaning my DH's impoverished condition ... and then I remembered I had nine other toons on the server with Level 3 garrisons. I'd been keeping them active, continuing to regularly farm the garrison herbs and ores, just to keep a bit of gold coming in. So all nine of those toons cleaned out their reagent banks, and I also withdrew all of the ore I had stashed in my guild bank, then mailed everything to the DH. She ended up being able to post nearly 10,000 pieces of ore to the AH (in stacks of 200, of course), resulting in an immediate gain of about 19,000g. So now she's also selling off everybody's herbs.
  #406  
Old 08-30-2017, 02:56 PM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Not doing dungeons or raids shouldn't have caused you to not get any Legendaries. They drop off of everything...emissary boxes, world quests, rare mobs, Blingtron 6000 boxes. You just had really bad luck.
Well, the longer you play, the luckier you get. But yeah, Legendaries are less rare than really good Epics.

Stealth boast: my main has the two BiS for MM hunter on him. And another 9 less BiS ones wasting space in the bank. This "your chances of getting a legendary will drop the more legendaries you already have" is just flaming bullshit. But he's the toon that's had the most play since Legion dropped, so it goes back to my first point: the longer you play, the luckier you get.

Last edited by gnoitall; 08-30-2017 at 02:57 PM.
  #407  
Old 08-30-2017, 03:07 PM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
What's Concordance?
Concordance of the Legionfall. After you empower your Artifact weapon, you get 4 brand new traits in a circle off to the side. Nearly invisible in the center of that circle is a single large trait: Concordance of the Legionfall. Once you've maxed out the normal trait graph (all the previous 3-point traits become 4-point traits) and the four new traits, Concordance becomes available and is the new AP dump trait. Having the trait at level 1 or higher enables a random combat proc for at least 4000 of your class/spec's main attribute for 10 seconds. "At least 4000" means that it's 4000 at level 1 for that trait, and +300 for each additional level put into it.

This corresponds (roughly) to the pre-empowered dump trait that added a small flat increasing + percentage, whatever that was called.

It's also not open-ended, like the pre-empowerment dump trait, but the max (50 levels) is beyond unattainable. It's literally hundreds of trillions of AP points.
  #408  
Old 08-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Not doing dungeons or raids shouldn't have caused you to not get any Legendaries. They drop off of everything...emissary boxes, world quests, rare mobs, Blingtron 6000 boxes. You just had really bad luck.
Not quite true. Legendaries don't drop from world quests, except for the daily emissary chest. Emissaries, rare mobs, (once per day each), treasures and the Bling 6k are the only solo content that will drop leggos. The bags from the broken shore used to, but no longer do. The 880 nethershard gear tokens have been replaced with the 910 item tokens from Argus which can proc into a leggo as well.

I did hear in one of the recent Q&A's with Ion that they are looking at buffing the bad luck protection boost to the drop rate for the first two per spec, which already have a much higher rate of dropping, to help people coming back.

If you're serious about leggos, do at least one mythic plus per week. From what I have gathered, the weekly mythic+ reward chest has the highest chance by far to give you a leggo, and will ramp up that bad luck protection fairly quickly.

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 08-30-2017 at 06:28 PM.
  #409  
Old 09-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,042
Finished up Good Suramaritan, though I was sitting at ~17000 rep at the end, so the grind to get ~20000 wouldnt have been much anyway.

I'm about 12000 rep short of finishing the first mount achievement, so hopefully the long weekend will help me make some progress. At some point, I'll LFR Kil'Jaedin and start turning my eye towards Argus.
  #410  
Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19,487
Has anyone else noticed that since Patch 7.3, repairs cost more than they used to?

I used to be able to go out questing and stuff and at the end of it all, assuming I hadn't died, I showed a profit from the sale of greys even after paying for repairs.

Now, I show at least a small loss every time. If I die, my repair expense is easily more than I make from the sale of greys.

I know as a cloth wearer I have benefited from smaller repair bills, so maybe they were trying to even things out between the classes or something, but it appears to me to be a way to keep people on the hook or something.

Any else noticed this?
  #411  
Old 09-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 910
A quick google didn't turn anything up due to 7.3, but my repair costs have gone up too. Of course, in my case it's because of two reasons.

1 - As your gear gets better, your repair costs go up, and it really seems to jump at some break points. My ilevel 905 warlock probably pays roughly 10x what my 798 priest does in repairs, and they both wear cloth.

2 - Argus has some tough mobs that are densely packed and I can't fly over them, so I've died more in the last two weeks than I've died in the last six months. In one particularly rough case, due to severe lag spikes I got killed by those two effing dogs more times than I'm willing to admit.

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 09-07-2017 at 03:45 PM.
  #412  
Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19,487
I've noticed that the increase in repair bills happens when i just do the World Quests in the regular Broken Isles zones (including Broken Shore), and I never die there. But my take from greys never exceeds my repair bill anymore.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-07-2017 at 04:24 PM.
  #413  
Old 09-07-2017, 04:32 PM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Has anyone else noticed that since Patch 7.3, repairs cost more than they used to?

I used to be able to go out questing and stuff and at the end of it all, assuming I hadn't died, I showed a profit from the sale of greys even after paying for repairs.

Now, I show at least a small loss every time. If I die, my repair expense is easily more than I make from the sale of greys.

I know as a cloth wearer I have benefited from smaller repair bills, so maybe they were trying to even things out between the classes or something, but it appears to me to be a way to keep people on the hook or something.

Any else noticed this?
As with Canuck above, my repair bills are higher because of more dyin' (new zones are much harder to faceroll, and the Cliffside Boss has killed me more than once as well), so I didn't notice any increase in baseline repair costs. But I wouldn't put it past Blizz to tweak the economy so that there's less gold in pocket. They seem to hate that, except for those who are subscribed to World of Auctioncraft.
  #414  
Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 910
I suspect that if they made a change, they would be far more likely to nerf the number of grey items dropped rather than increase repair costs. They did nerf a lot of older content rewards to push players onto Argus, (like the broken shore turn-ins) so that would fit the big picture they seem to have in mind.

If they had increased repair costs, I suspect the hardcore raiders would have noticed by now and they would be loudly making a shitshow, obviously commenting on the forums about it.
  #415  
Old 09-08-2017, 09:32 AM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I suspect that if they made a change, they would be far more likely to nerf the number of grey items dropped rather than increase repair costs. They did nerf a lot of older content rewards to push players onto Argus, (like the broken shore turn-ins) so that would fit the big picture they seem to have in mind.

If they had increased repair costs, I suspect the hardcore raiders would have noticed by now and they would be loudly making a shitshow, obviously commenting on the forums about it.
Given the balance of trade (grays v. repair) and how raiding guilds handle repairs (authorized repairs out of guild bank), you're probably right. A lot of gold flows through the GBs of the serious progression raid guilds, and an outright increase in costs would probably be noticed (and loudly protested) by the guild leadership "comptroller" types.

ETA: The phrase you struck through is an authorized synonym for the phrase you replaced it with, in the context of WoW forums.

Last edited by gnoitall; 09-08-2017 at 09:33 AM.
  #416  
Old 09-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 12,323
So now that I'm finally getting around to actually playing Legion world content (still no dungeons - old Mac can't handle the graphics), I have formed some definite opinions about Combat Allies.

Basically, I only like the ones with the "bodyguard" ability, so that they are with me constantly.

The "instant cast" ones that require me to press a key to summon them, well, I just completely forget about them and end up not using them at all.

The ones that have a "proc", where they show up on their own when needed ... they don't really show up when needed. My warrior, at this point, only has two Champions, only one of whom is a Combat Ally, and she was no use whatsoever when trying to kill that elite sea giant in Azsuna (at the end of the "Against the Giants" chain), because she only shows up when I'm facing multiple enemies. But she shows up unnecessarily when I'm fighting, say, a pair of imps. And she scares the bejesus out of me every time she shows up screaming her battle cries.

Yup, give me a constant companion who fights in a predictable manner.
__________________
"I am an endless barrel of exposition!

But yeah, I'm done."
(El Goonish Shive)
  #417  
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
So now that I'm finally getting around to actually playing Legion world content (still no dungeons - old Mac can't handle the graphics), I have formed some definite opinions about Combat Allies.

Basically, I only like the ones with the "bodyguard" ability, so that they are with me constantly.

The "instant cast" ones that require me to press a key to summon them, well, I just completely forget about them and end up not using them at all.

The ones that have a "proc", where they show up on their own when needed ... they don't really show up when needed. My warrior, at this point, only has two Champions, only one of whom is a Combat Ally, and she was no use whatsoever when trying to kill that elite sea giant in Azsuna (at the end of the "Against the Giants" chain), because she only shows up when I'm facing multiple enemies. But she shows up unnecessarily when I'm fighting, say, a pair of imps. And she scares the bejesus out of me every time she shows up screaming her battle cries.

Yup, give me a constant companion who fights in a predictable manner.
The demon hunter artifact weapon proc, where a demon jumps in and BLASTS EVERYTHING, freaked me out, because I just didn't know what was happening. There's so many passives and procs that I feel lost.

Anyone done the 7.3 weapon appearance upgrade scenarios? Archmage Xylem is kicking my butt - I eventually looked up a guide, and now I know what to do, but the execution just isn't quite clicking for me.
  #418  
Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 AM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Yup, give me a constant companion who fights in a predictable manner.
The companion I like best is Meatball, the gnoll from the Brawler's Guild. You have to do a quest chain (win one brawler's guild fight, watch 5 other brawler's guild wins, do 5 specific champion missions with successful bonus completion) to add him to your roster of champions, but he's AWESOME. He does fair melee DPS, he can do a very fast "coup-de-grace" attack when the target drops below a certain percentage of health ("MEATBALL HUNGRY!"), spits out power orbs you can pick up for a stacking DPS buff, and also is pretty nice as a "fill out" champion on missions (he doesn't counter anything in specific, but offers pretty large + % success buffs against bosses and minions).

I like when I'm fighting a big mob and Meatball starts clawing him into pieces, leaving behind a (lootable and skinnable, thank the Light) pile of ribs and bones instead of a corpse.

Put good companion-type champion items into his inventory (I'm using the legendary Pouch of Wonder and an epic Potion of Triton, so I get 100 gold and a chance at a small AP consumable for each world quest I do) and he is amazing.

Last edited by gnoitall; 09-11-2017 at 09:26 AM.
  #419  
Old 09-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 25,212
I am probably way over thinking this, but...

The Legion reduced Argus to a rockpile with, apparently, no vegetation and almost no animals. What the hell is everyone on Argus eating? I mean, the ecology is even more screwed up that Azeroth's. Does everything eat gravel? It can't all be critters eating critters because they'd run out of critters pretty quick. Do they import all their food?

__________________
10,000 years of recorded hisory vs millions of years of ignorance.
That's why it's taking longer than we thought, there's a backlog. -- essell
  #420  
Old 09-11-2017, 02:37 PM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I am probably way over thinking this,
Yup.
Quote:
but...

The Legion reduced Argus to a rockpile with, apparently, no vegetation and almost no animals. What the hell is everyone on Argus eating? I mean, the ecology is even more screwed up that Azeroth's. Does everything eat gravel? It can't all be critters eating critters because they'd run out of critters pretty quick. Do they import all their food?

Once you go there, you'll find it's not a rockpile. Parts are actually a lot more lush than most of Outland. For instance. Mac'Aree is almost pretty.

The fact that this zone has a whole new family of herbs for herbalists to level up on says a lot. (Mainly, that Blizzard isn't taking this "Legion devastates everything" thing too seriously.)

But yeah. This world is surprisingly healthy, considering (A) the Legion attacked and seized it millennia ago, (B) it's missing a huge chunk out of it (mantle-deep, if the internal structure is anything like most terrestrial worlds), and (C) I thought Sargeras made a point of assassinating every planet's world-spirit (nascent Titan) that he came across. But Argus is still alive, albeit in torment. I guess you can't kill the unborn Titan without blowing up the planet, and Sargeras decided he'd keep this world (and its Eredar denizens) rather than blowing in up.

Still, Krokuun is a tough zone to figure out, ecologically. Almost no vegetation, and still obvious herbivorous animal life. Headscratcher.

Last edited by gnoitall; 09-11-2017 at 02:40 PM.
  #421  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,042
Unlocking Legion flying for one character unlocks it for all, no matter the level? This is going to make my alt-itis even worse...
  #422  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 PM
Oakminster Oakminster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surefall Glade, Antonica
Posts: 18,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Unlocking Legion flying for one character unlocks it for all, no matter the level? This is going to make my alt-itis even worse...
Yes. Makes leveling alts a lot easier.
__________________
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
  #423  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 AM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Anyone here main a rogue?

I don't, but I have a rogue alt that I leveled and pushed through order hall campaign, Broken shore campaign, and get Power Ascended on all three specs... because the "free" class mount plus the three mounts you can buy with order resources (after Power Ascended) take me up to 295/300 on the Lord of the Reins achievement. It's not like I'm committed to the thug rogue life, like I've noticed some players are. I'm barely technically competent at PvE play. And also temperamentally disinclined to PvP.

So the quest you need to get the class mount was kind of disturbing. Kill a specific quest NPC in each of the opposite faction's major cities (original 3 plus BC capital).

Well, I did it, because mounts. And it turns out it was scarier in my head than in practice. The scariest one was killing one of the auctioneers in the Stormwind auction house. I literally hovered on my flying mount waaay above the Stormwind Trade District for 10 minutes, counting all the Alliance player characters hanging around in the square and going into the very auction house I'd have to try to sneak into and assassinate an NPC right before their eyes.

I'm not a YOLO guy. I really prefer better odds than 40-to-1, and I don't really trust stealth. Especially playing Outlaw; if I really wanted to be a super sneaky back stabby kind of guy, I would have rolled (and learned to play) Subtlety.

But it worked. I landed myself well away from the AH, stealthed over (avoiding the few detector patrols), snuck into the AH door by hopping up on the side of the stoop rather than weaving my way past the PCs hanging out on the steps, weaved my way over to where the target was standing, gathered my wits, planned my attack, and struck.

The guards and one or two PCs gave me some autoattacks, but Vanish worked and I got out alive.

I'm amazed. I've never had "Rogue stuff" work for me before. I guess I need to learn to have a bit more faith in the class.

Last edited by gnoitall; 09-14-2017 at 10:21 AM.
  #424  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Clawdio Clawdio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 561
It really adds an element of fun when things are scary, doesn't it?

A few months ago my guild transferred from a horde dominated group to one much more dominated by alliance (we are alliance). While I certainly enjoy not getting insta-killed by 20 horde at every single flight path, it kinda takes some of the fun out of daily/world quests when I'm no longer on the look out for opposing faction players. But it definitely was not fun trying to spawn at my corpse and popping all defensives just to live long enough to turn in the emissary quest before getting killed again. Or never being able to use a summoning stone.

For the record, we were on Aegwynn-US, and are now on Kel'Thuzad-US. They are polar opposites in terms of alliance/horde population.
  #425  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:27 AM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
It really adds an element of fun when things are scary, doesn't it?

A few months ago my guild transferred from a horde dominated group to one much more dominated by alliance (we are alliance). While I certainly enjoy not getting insta-killed by 20 horde at every single flight path, it kinda takes some of the fun out of daily/world quests when I'm no longer on the look out for opposing faction players. But it definitely was not fun trying to spawn at my corpse and popping all defensives just to live long enough to turn in the emissary quest before getting killed again. Or never being able to use a summoning stone.

For the record, we were on Aegwynn-US, and are now on Kel'Thuzad-US. They are polar opposites in terms of alliance/horde population.
YMMV. But to me, PvP is shit that happens to me while I'm trying to do what I actually want to do. Right up there with getting rear-ended on the freeway on the way to work or dropping a drink and having to clean up my mess before I can enjoy my drink.

But temperamentally, I'm both kinda pacifist (don't start stuff) and goal-oriented. The "scary" part of that quest was nothing more than an obstacle between where I was and what I wanted, and there is absolutely no joy in being impeded. If I were a trouble-starter (i.e. fan of PvP), then the PvP would be a valid goal, but since I'm not, it fails to register as a desirable thing.

Again, YMMV. Rolling on a PvP server (Azgalor US, aka "Azzholesgalore") and in a mostly PvP battlegroup (Ruin US) was exceptionally dumb, but that's where I've been since early Vanilla and I'm way too cheap to move a main and 10 alts to another server.

Last edited by gnoitall; 09-14-2017 at 11:29 AM.
  #426  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:34 AM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Too late to ETA: All of that said, the saving grace of this quest chain is that if you play well, PvP is actually avoidable. It's just part of the costs of failure, albeit a higher cost than other quests. It's rare that a PvE boss corpse camps you, for instance. Not unheard-of, but not common.
  #427  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 35,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
It really adds an element of fun when things are scary, doesn't it?
Weirdo!

I'm with gnoitall. I hate PvP. I suck at PvP. I'm a freaking carebear who will actually stop to help an opposite-faction player kill stuff and would heal if I could. Can't we all just get along (shut up, Genn!)?
  #428  
Old 09-14-2017, 04:14 PM
Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
For the record, we were on Aegwynn-US, and are now on Kel'Thuzad-US. They are polar opposites in terms of alliance/horde population.
Wow, small world. My horde guild made the opposite switch back in MoP, switching from a PVE server to Kel'thu'zad. At the time, I think it was 97% alliance. I was not prepared. I only made it about six months before I left the guild and found a new one on a PVE server. PVP as a healer .. *shudder* .. let's just say I'm not a fan.

It wasn't all bad though. Back then, the alliance and horde AH were not linked, and anyone could use the booty bay AH. I funneled huge amounts of crafting materials from the alliance side through BB using a second account, marked them up about 1000%, and then sold them horde side. I gold capped my main toon (1 million back then) before I left.
  #429  
Old 09-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Clawdio Clawdio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Wow, small world. My horde guild made the opposite switch back in MoP, switching from a PVE server to Kel'thu'zad. At the time, I think it was 97% alliance. I was not prepared. .
LOL, yeah there isn't really any world PVP on Kel'Thuzad because you hardly ever even see a horde player. Sometimes I see one and I think "poor lonely guy, maybe i'll just let him finish his quest". Then my eye twitches and a flashback sequence to my years on Aegwynn plays...
  #430  
Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
I don't, but I have a rogue alt that I leveled and pushed through order hall campaign, Broken shore campaign, and get Power Ascended on all three specs... because the "free" class mount plus the three mounts you can buy with order resources (after Power Ascended) take me up to 295/300 on the Lord of the Reins achievement. It's not like I'm committed to the thug rogue life, like I've noticed some players are. I'm barely technically competent at PvE play. And also temperamentally disinclined to PvP.

So the quest you need to get the class mount was kind of disturbing. Kill a specific quest NPC in each of the opposite faction's major cities (original 3 plus BC capital).

Well, I did it, because mounts. And it turns out it was scarier in my head than in practice. The scariest one was killing one of the auctioneers in the Stormwind auction house. I literally hovered on my flying mount waaay above the Stormwind Trade District for 10 minutes, counting all the Alliance player characters hanging around in the square and going into the very auction house I'd have to try to sneak into and assassinate an NPC right before their eyes.

I'm not a YOLO guy. I really prefer better odds than 40-to-1, and I don't really trust stealth. Especially playing Outlaw; if I really wanted to be a super sneaky back stabby kind of guy, I would have rolled (and learned to play) Subtlety.

But it worked. I landed myself well away from the AH, stealthed over (avoiding the few detector patrols), snuck into the AH door by hopping up on the side of the stoop rather than weaving my way past the PCs hanging out on the steps, weaved my way over to where the target was standing, gathered my wits, planned my attack, and struck.

The guards and one or two PCs gave me some autoattacks, but Vanish worked and I got out alive.

I'm amazed. I've never had "Rogue stuff" work for me before. I guess I need to learn to have a bit more faith in the class.
I mained a rogue through BC and LK, and took a long break during Cata and MoP. I loved it, and still like to bust out my assassination buddy from time to time, though he's fallen behind with Legion. I could never feel right with subtlety, bouncing between Combat(Outlaw) and Assassination for most of my raiding career. Stabby stabby POOF! is really rewarding when it works right. For a run ROGUESTUFF experience, do the Fangs of the Father questline. It's almost ridiculously easy to solo now, but you get to sneak all around places, pickpocket, and STABBY STABBY POOF! Plus, the daggers look awesome, and gave you wings before demon hunters were a thing.


I decided to play around with my affliction warlock...MOAR DOTS! It's quite a difference in gameplay from my demon hunter "run in and hit things" style, so it's going nicely...Val'Sharah took me about 2 hours to finish, aside from the finishing dungeon.
  #431  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:36 AM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I mained a rogue through BC and LK, and took a long break during Cata and MoP. I loved it, and still like to bust out my assassination buddy from time to time, though he's fallen behind with Legion. I could never feel right with subtlety, bouncing between Combat(Outlaw) and Assassination for most of my raiding career. Stabby stabby POOF! is really rewarding when it works right. For a run ROGUESTUFF experience, do the Fangs of the Father questline. It's almost ridiculously easy to solo now, but you get to sneak all around places, pickpocket, and STABBY STABBY POOF! Plus, the daggers look awesome, and gave you wings before demon hunters were a thing.
Yes, I remember that one. I did it on another rogue alt (one I inherited from a son who used to play on that account). Being overlevel, nothing was challenging, and I don't think there was any potential of PvP in any of the steps. I think everything was instanced.

That's where this quest chain was different. Every target was an NPC in the heart of a capitol city. The real capitol, not instanced. Exodar and Darnassas were no real threat, because who the Hell goes there? (Ironically, Exodar is the only place I died, but only because of inept execution of a completely necessary mechanic -- you have to disable or distract a bodyguard (mechanical construct, detector, and can one-shot you if he isn't disabled) before you can go to town on the target, and I failed to get off Blind before he smooshed me. Next time around, I went conservative and just distracted him to let the target path away from the bodyguard far enough and long enough for me to dispatch him before Distract was up.)

Ironforge and Stormwind were both lousy with PCs, but none mounted any effective response before Vanish worked (both places). I guess complete surprise meant that no player could get past surprise paralysis before I could escape. (That appears to be the secret to rogue PvP, as well: do a bunch of damage before the target gathers their wits for a response. Well, that and stun-locking.)

Both Fangs of the Father and this quest chain seem to be nice Rogue exercises, but the mount quest has higher potential stakes (PvP).

Last edited by gnoitall; 09-15-2017 at 09:38 AM.
  #432  
Old 09-18-2017, 12:20 PM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 12,323
Well, my paladin finally got her first Legendary, the ring "Soul of the Highlord", from a Court of Farondis emissary chest. w00t.

I've come to the conclusion that I am never going to complete any of my Order Hall Campaigns, and thus never unlock Legion flying, and no class mounts. Aside from the dungeon requirements—the antiquity of my iMac makes running them next to impossible—there's that stupid Xe'ra/Illidan questline. I got about two steps into that before I quit, because if there's one PvE activity I utterly despise it's being made to basically play another character. I've hated it since I first encountered it in WotLK (that storm giant you have to ride on and control in Zul'drak). But, honestly, I don't mind not having flying. I got ten characters to 100 in WoD before I eventually unlocked flying by default, and found it wasn't that big of a deal doing all my travel on the ground.

I'm getting a little confused about Order Hall progression as I bring up new alts into Legion content. My first two toons to 110 were my paladin and mage, and both of them still have only four Champions. The paladin's next campaign step is apparently a dungeon, while the mage's next step requires meeting Kalec in an apparently inaccessible (at this point) location in Suramar. Meanwhile, my rogue did the steps that led to recruiting her first four Champions just like the paladin and mage, and then her fifth, Marin Noggenfogger, to all appearances just basically showed up with no effort on my part. My fourth 110, my shaman, again has the first four Champions and no indication of a fifth.

For my sub-110s, my warrior (106) and warlock (104) still have only two Champions, with no hint of a quest to recruit more, while my druid (103) has four. My hunter (102) is the latest to start Legion content. He has two champions, and he hasn't even been offered the quest to recruit the first minion recruiter (unless I did it and completely forgot almost immediately) so he can't send his champions on missions without something to fill that third slot. I'll hunt around the Lodge some more to see if he does, in fact, have the recruiter.

Anyway, a while back I dusted off the Death Knight I rolled back in 2009 and then abandoned at level 62, and I've been leveling him. I was amused when, while questing in the first part of the Valley of Four Winds, I got a whisper from another player who had apparently inspected me and was astonished to find that I wasn't wearing heirlooms. He suggested getting some, because "it will speed things up". I told him that I do actually have all of the heirloom gear (all upgraded to 90, with a couple pieces upgraded to 100), but that I ditched it all on the DK when I got to Pandaria because I wanted to slow it down a bit ... and still hit 89-1/2 before finishing Jade Forest.

I'm also going to start leveling my monk again. I've set a goal of getting every class to 110 before Legion ends, just so I can get that guild achievement for one of every class at max level.
__________________
"I am an endless barrel of exposition!

But yeah, I'm done."
(El Goonish Shive)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017