Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I hate to whine, but nothing is really changing for me on either site (Chrome on a desktop.) The column widths are still wonky with the poster info not lined up, the fonts are still large, the highlight bar is still green on both this and the test site.
Did you change the dropdown to the old style? It is by default the new style. When I switch back to the old style, it's exactly right.
Advertisements  
Old 09-14-2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
I'm not confident this is as easy as people think. I've asked my contractor; he doesn't know and is inquiring. Don't misunderstand - you can certainly add themes, and possibly the site administrator (i.e., me) can easily toggle between them (I've asked about this also), but I'm not about to take a flyer and have the whole board go south. I see nothing to suggest that individual users can be given the ability to toggle between themes, but have asked the theme developer. If it's as easy as some say, fine, but - meaning no disrespect - I want authoritative reassurance on this point..
If your contractor doesn't know this basic VB function and has to ask, you've hired the shittiest VB contractor ever.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Please give this a try and make sure all operates as expected and that all problems previously reported have resolved. Then report your results here. If there's general confirmation that this works I'll implement it on the production board, although cautious soul that I am I'll wait 24 hours to see if any problems surface. Please understand that this doesn't fix anything that was broken in the OLD theme; it just reverts to what we had before.
Works for me. Since there was nothing broken in the old theme, and I can happily go back to it now.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:46 AM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Thanks so much, Ed! It is a thing of beauty to see the old style back!

As always, of course, nothing is as simple as it seems. Main problem is that the user choice exists only during the login session. Once you log out, it's back to the default, and stays that way with the next login unless you go to UserCP and make the selection again. It needs to stick, and it has to be in a device-specific way (like with a cookie) or people with both desktops and mobile devices are going to be unhappy.

But so far, in principle, it works!

I notice there is no real content in most forums on the test site, except Elections and Marketplace. I assume this is intentional for the test setup and not a bug.
You can make your favorite theme your personal default by navigating to UserCP > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options > Forum Skin. Pick the desired theme from the dropdown list and that's what you'll see every time you log in.

As others have observed, there's plenty of content on the test board; it's just that we cloned the database in the spring and most of the content now is outside the default time horizon in the display settings. If you go to the Display Options navigation area at the bottom of thread list pages, you can adjust for a longer time horizon.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
If your contractor doesn't know this basic VB function and has to ask, you've hired the shittiest VB contractor ever.
I gotta second this comment Ed. If your contractor "doesn't know and is inquiring" about as basic a vB feature as letting users choose their preferred themes, there's something wrong with your contractor.

By way of analogy, it's as if you took your car to a mechanic and the mechanic said "Wait, you think it's possible for you, the driver, to spray windshield washer fluid ON the window while driving the car???? I don't know if that's possible, let me inquire about that."

Seriously, if they have to look up if it's possible, they're um...not...skilled*. At all. You should really reconsider whoever you hired.

But thanks for looking into it and turning it on. I'm really looking forward to have the old theme back on my cell and computer (the new one actually isn't bad on an iPad).

*And apparently never visited any vB site anywhere. This is the only board I can think of that doesn't have the feature turned on.

Last edited by Fenris; 09-14-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
He's not primarily a VB contractor and that's why this process has been bumpy. The main job, which is way more complicated and not complete, is porting the SD home page and column archive to a WordPress platform. Installing a new theme for the SDMB was a relatively small part of the project and the route we wound up going wasn't the one originally planned. So I can't be too hard on him for not knowing VB's fine points; he's doing things neither he nor we expected he'd have to do.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
You can make your favorite theme your personal default by navigating to UserCP > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options > Forum Skin. Pick the desired theme from the dropdown list and that's what you'll see every time you log in.

As others have observed, there's plenty of content on the test board; it's just that we cloned the database in the spring and most of the content now is outside the default time horizon in the display settings. If you go to the Display Options navigation area at the bottom of thread list pages, you can adjust for a longer time horizon.
Beautiful! I really appreciate you doing this for us, Ed. I have to say that in my opinion, on my devices, the original forum skin is better in every way, including ways I hadn't even remembered until seeing it again. The combination of the normal-looking font size and the very light gray almost-invisible bars between posts give the site a totally different, clean and professional look, IMO.

Really looking forward to you putting this on the production site as soon as you feel comfortable doing so!

Last edited by wolfpup; 09-14-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
This option is not available to me, the only thing under there is the editor settings. That said, I don't really have too much of an issue with this theme as it stands right now, so it's not the end of the world. Thanks for fixing page numbers.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 09-14-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
This option is not available to me, the only thing under there is the editor settings.
Ed is referring to the test site, on which a choice of forum skins is now enabled. Hopefully we will soon see this in production!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
Ed is referring to the test site, on which a choice of forum skins is now enabled. Hopefully we will soon see this in production!
Right. Assuming no problems arise - I'm not expecting anything - I'll switch on theme toggling for the production site tonight and post instructions in an ATMB sticky. The new theme will remain the site default so Google gives us credit for being mobile-friendly, but you can switch to whatever theme you want and make this your personal default.

Meanwhile, we'll continue to tweak the new theme using the beta site. This won't be of concern to most people but from time to time I'll be encouraging those who are into this kind of thing to visit the beta site and check out the latest round of changes. IMO the new theme works better on phones for many users and I'd like to make it as good as we can. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Sounds good, thanks

---
Omar Little suggests lunatics like me include a disclaimer
Old 09-14-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The main job, which is way more complicated and not complete, is porting the SD home page and column archive to a WordPress platform.
Ah, the platform that has given rise to the acronym 'FYWP.'
Old 09-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I'm happy to report I've heard back from the theme developer and he confirms it's possible to configure the SDMB to enable users to toggle between themes. Leaving nothing to chance, I've configured our beta site as instructed and invite users to test whether all works as advertised. Go to:

http://boardstest.straightdope.com/sdmb/

... and log in using the following:

UserID: admin
Password: adm20!7 (note exclamation point)

Once you're in, you'll have to log in again using your regular username and password. Then navigate to UserCP. In the bottom nav bar at left there's a dropdown menu showing the current theme; you can then toggle to whatever theme you like.

Please give this a try and make sure all operates as expected and that all problems previously reported have resolved. Then report your results here. If there's general confirmation that this works I'll implement it on the production board, although cautious soul that I am I'll wait 24 hours to see if any problems surface. Please understand that this doesn't fix anything that was broken in the OLD theme; it just reverts to what we had before.
Not working for me; I can't log in. I'm on a Mac, if that makes any difference.

I can also report that using anything other than "Quick Reply" to reply to a thread gets you a throroughly screwed up box. Spacing is wide, and all of the options are spread out horizontally and vertically.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Right. Assuming no problems arise - I'm not expecting anything - I'll switch on theme toggling for the production site tonight and post instructions in an ATMB sticky. The new theme will remain the site default so Google gives us credit for being mobile-friendly, but you can switch to whatever theme you want and make this your personal default.

Meanwhile, we'll continue to tweak the new theme using the beta site. This won't be of concern to most people but from time to time I'll be encouraging those who are into this kind of thing to visit the beta site and check out the latest round of changes. IMO the new theme works better on phones for many users and I'd like to make it as good as we can. Thanks.
I'm happy to report the reply window in FireFox with WYSIWYG on is now nice and wide. (Windows 7 & 10)
Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thank you Ed. The old skin is working fine on the test boards. I doubt there will be a problem.

This is like the Classic Coke ploy - I never knew how much I'd miss it until it was gone.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:16 PM

Likewise, I have not seen any problems using the old theme on the test site. Also tried logging out and back in again and as Ed said, once you toggle the theme in the "Edit Options" window instead of the bar at the bottom left, it becomes your default. Logged out, you see the new theme, log back in, and it's the old one again, or whatever you've chosen. I love it!

Over here, BigT mentioned an issue if anyone happens to select the vB3 "green" theme. I didn't try this, but I presume this isn't going to be ported over to the production site anyway, so presumably not an issue. Toggling back and forth between the new blue theme and the original one works fine.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 PM

For quotes, please put a dark box outline around the quote box.

For quote attributions, please darken the colour of the icon.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Can the old skin be the default in a user-selectable-skin world?

Neither my phone nor my tablet will keep me logged into the board between viewing sessions, so my inability to view the board on my phone with the new skin won't be helped unless I type my username and hard-to-type-on-a-phone-because-of-all-the-symbols-and-stuff password every time I want to glance at the latest posts during the day.

It seems like most people were happy with the old skin, so I propose that the (few?) users that find the new skin an improvement in their viewing experience be offered the option to select the new skin -- not the other way around.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM

For those who miss the "last post" column, I noticed on my phone the red arrow at the front of the thread title takes me to the most recent post I haven't read. YMMV.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
It's too bad that the old theme means that guest location/post number is hidden though.
Definitely! As I said before, that is the one feature of the new skin that I really like. I hope there is some way that can be incorporated into the old skin but I didn't want to ask Santa Zotti for it because he just gave us this wonderful present (the old board back).
Old 09-14-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta View Post
Can the old skin be the default in a user-selectable-skin world?
The new one will have to be the default for Google to recognize the site as mobile-friendly or whatever
Old 09-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The new one will have to be the default for Google to recognize the site as mobile-friendly or whatever
I don't understand why Google has anything to do with anything. Is that discussed up-thread? (Apologies if it is. I haven't read the whole thread, partly because I can't read it well on mobile.)
Old 09-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Yes, it's apparently important to TBTB to improve Google ranking for "mobile friendly".

Since the old theme looks perfectly fine on my tablet, and I almost never access the Internet on my smartphone and spend a lot of time sneering at people who do, I am not qualified to make further comments. And get off my lawn!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Multi quote still wasn't working on desktop yesterday.
On Firefox, all three quoting options for a post do the same thing - bring up a reply box with the message quoted.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
On Firefox, all three quoting options for a post do the same thing - bring up a reply box with the message quoted.
Are you clicking on the icon or the text? You have to click on the icon to get a fish biscuit.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Since no problems have been reported, I'll now switch on theme toggling for this board.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Done. Users may now switch to whatever theme they prefer. I'll post instructions in a separate stickied thread in ATMB.

ETA: View promised instructions at: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=836331

Last edited by Ed Zotti; 09-14-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Since no problems have been reported, I'll now switch on theme toggling for this board.
Thanks Ed. v3.7.3 solves the text box problem and the quote attribution problem for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
For quotes, please put a dark box outline around the quote box.

For quote attributions, please darken the colour of the icon.

Last edited by Muffin; 09-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Done. Users may now switch to whatever theme they prefer. I'll post instructions in a separate stickied thread in ATMB.
Thank you!

For myself, the old style works wonderfully on my iPhone 7 in landscape mode.

Last edited by cmyk; 09-14-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I just want to say that of all the boards I've participated in, this is the best example of response to user feedback that I've seen. A sincere thank you, Ed, for taking the time and trouble to do this for all us whiners! I really do think the old style looks so much better, and with some agreeing and others disagreeing, this is the perfect solution. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Excellent. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Done. Users may now switch to whatever theme they prefer.
How?

I mean, there's a box that *claims* to let you choose skins, but it doesn't have anywhere to click.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 PM

There's an invisible block below the "type s t r a i g h t" prompt. Just click around below that line until you stumble on it.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 PM

Hallelujah!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Don't know what you guys are talking about. The theme changer is at the bottom of every page.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Yep.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Don't know what you guys are talking about. The theme changer is at the bottom of every page.
I think that's just per-session. Going through the User CP makes it your default.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:

According to earlier posts, changes made that way go away when you close your browser. If you make the change via your Control Panel, they stick.

(Or so those posts said, I haven't signed out since I made the change.)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
I just want to say that of all the boards I've participated in, this is the best example of response to user feedback that I've seen. A sincere thank you, Ed, for taking the time and trouble to do this for all us whiners! I really do think the old style looks so much better, and with some agreeing and others disagreeing, this is the perfect solution. Thank you!
You're welcome. Thanks to you all for your patience.

For instructions on changing styles, see:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=836331
Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 PM

Oh sweet blessed relief!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
According to earlier posts, changes made that way go away when you close your browser. If you make the change via your Control Panel, they stick.

(Or so those posts said, I haven't signed out since I made the change.)
That much I understand. What I'm unclear about is your previous post. Where is this "type s t r a i g h t" thing you are talking about?

I don't see it at the bottom of the page, nor do I see it in User CP > Edit Options.

Here is what I see, in either theme (with my script disabled). Only the text changes in the bottom dropdown.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for providing the option of going back to the former skin.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
That much I understand. What I'm unclear about is your previous post. Where is this "type s t r a i g h t" thing you are talking about?

I don't see it at the bottom of the page, nor do I see it in User CP > Edit Options.

Here is what I see, in either theme (with my script disabled). Only the text changes in the bottom dropdown.
Yeah, that's what I see *now*. But at the time I made the change in the CP/options area, underneath the box about selecting the style you wanted, there was another line. It seemed like some sort of 'prove you aren't a robot' thing. It said to 'Type s t r a i g h t -- but without the spaces' in order for your changes to be saved.

And it mystified me at first, because there was nowhere obvious to type the word. So I tried typing it at the end of the line with the type -- no letters appeared -- and then I hit the 'save changes' button.

Which took me to another page, where it scolded me for failing to properly type the word, that I should try again and follow the instructions.

So I 'back'ed up to that page, and started clicking and dragging around the area hoping it was another case where someone had set the text or box outline to the same color as the background. Which it apparently was, because I found a text entry box a small distance below that 'type' prompt. I typed 'straight' into it, hit save changes again, and this time got a screen that boiled down to "success."

I'm guessing Malleus, Incus, Stapes got the same thing, which is why s/he asked how to do it, and I guess the second message means s/he'd then managed to get it to work the same way I'd described.

Clearly they made another board change since then, eliminating the 'test' -- if that is what it was - before it would save your change. <shrug>
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 PM

Ah, okay. I think I remember seeing that sort of thing before on other boards.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
Oh sweet blessed relief!
This!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:21 AM

Now we are so happy, we do the Dance of Joy!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:36 AM

Weesa free!!!
Old 09-15-2017, 04:05 AM

Seems to me there used to be a way to retrieve threads that fell off the front page of the toplic menu. Can it be done now?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:20 AM

oops

Last edited by BigT; 09-15-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Wow, I'd forgotten how big the changes were, until I switched back. It all looks so familiar and comforting again. Thank you!