The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM
yearofglad yearofglad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Source for Sports Statistics

ESPN, etc., always have crazy stats - yesterday Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook were the first duo to each score 40 points in a game twice in the same season since I don't know when.

I understand that keeping stats like that are easy, but how are they FOUND? How would you search for such a statistic? Are there database programs that will accepts such specific queries, given that such statistics come in virtually all flavors imaginable. It's hard for me to imagine that such a flexible method exists.

Any insights?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Ace309 Ace309 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
I can't speak to basketball specifically, but I often snag my baseball stats from Baseball Reference. It has a searchable database that's extremely flexible.

I know they run sites for other sports as well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 24,472
Moved to the Game Room from GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:13 PM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 34,917
Most broadcast sports use the Elias Sports Bureau. They've been gathering sports statistics for almost a century, and have every sports database you can imagine.

I assume someone from Elias is in the Broadcast booth with a computer logged in to the database. He can search for anything that happens in the game. He also prepares for particular records to be broken and has them all ready to go if necessary. If, say, a pitcher has won his previous two games, they will look up instances where that pitcher had won two games in a row before the game starts.
__________________
Author of Staroamer's Fate and Syron's Fate, now back in print.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 03-24-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Omniscient Omniscient is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 16,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofglad View Post
Are there database programs that will accepts such specific queries, given that such statistics come in virtually all flavors imaginable. It's hard for me to imagine that such a flexible method exists.
Yup, it's called SQL. Almost every business in the world uses it. It's exactly how Stats Inc, Elias and ESPN Stats find this things. Something interesting happens, then the database professionals/analysts start punching queries into the database of past results. Those past results are organized and cross referenced in a way to make it easy to search for details like that.

Here's a sample of what the SQL code would look like for the case mentioned in the OP. Syntax varies between software brands, but it's all pretty similar.

SELECT * FROM NBA_GAME_RESULTS WHERE playerScore >= 40 GROUP BY gameDate, playerTeam

That's overly simplified and you'd have to sift through the results to find cases where the gameDeate is repeated but the Query can be expanded to do that work for you. Without knowing the Schema and straining my brain I'm not going to try and do that./
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
mcgato mcgato is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
This is a link to a database of everything Olympics. There are links in the upper right to other sports, including baseball, football, hockey, and basketball. The Olympic one is silly in the amount of info it has, including birth, death, results, name spelled in native language, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Duke Duke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Here's a sample of what the SQL code would look like for the case mentioned in the OP. Syntax varies between software brands, but it's all pretty similar.

SELECT * FROM NBA_GAME_RESULTS WHERE playerScore >= 40 GROUP BY gameDate, playerTeam

That's overly simplified and you'd have to sift through the results to find cases where the gameDeate is repeated but the Query can be expanded to do that work for you. Without knowing the Schema and straining my brain I'm not going to try and do that./
That's close. Here's how I'd do it:

SELECT Player_Score, Team_name, Game_ID, Count(Player_Name)
FROM tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS
GROUP BY tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS.Player_Score, tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS.Game_ID, tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS.Team_name
HAVING (((tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS.Player_Score)>=40) AND ((Count(Player_Name))>1));

That should do it. I tested it on a database I'm working on and it worked correctly, at least.

Last edited by Duke; 03-24-2012 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 PM
mnemosyne mnemosyne is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 8,769
For simplicity, often times news reporters are given a media guide every year with the historical statistics for the team they report on. I know Ive seen news articles about them here and there - Mike Boone of the Montreal Gazette has writen about it for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
yearofglad yearofglad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
That's close. Here's how I'd do it:

SELECT Player_Score, Team_name, Game_ID, Count(Player_Name)
FROM tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS
GROUP BY tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS.Player_Score, tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS.Game_ID, tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS.Team_name
HAVING (((tblNBA_GAME_RESULTS.Player_Score)>=40) AND ((Count(Player_Name))>1));

That should do it. I tested it on a database I'm working on and it worked correctly, at least.
Thanks - that's exactly what I was curious about. I know about Elias, etc., and SQL, but couldn't quite piece together how such a query would work. I don't know SQL but can make sense of the queries you guys posted.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.