Old 09-15-2017, 06:58 AM

DCnDC perfectly expressed my thoughts about the Slap Chop.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
One of the most useless items I've tried is also one that seems to have a lot of fans. The RonCo Pocket Fisherman.
For some reason these crossed my mind just a few weeks ago and I googled to see if they were still being made. I remember one of them in my house during my childhood (but I don't remember if I or anyone else tried to use it in that time.) They have been on the market for 45 years and (I think) have cost $19.95 the whole time. (Which means that it cost the equivalent of over $100 in 1972.)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The thing that's funny about so many of these "As Seen On TV" products is how contrived the ads are showing how hard it is to do the thing that these things are the solution to. Like the pasta pot that has the strainer built in, because it's just so damn difficult to pour a boiling pot of pasta into a colander in your sink.
That's the one that came to mind.

But do you have any idea of how many Americans scald themselves to death annually attempting to pour spaghetti from the pot into a colander, or die of starvation because they accidentally lose all the food down the sink during the transfer?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
The thing that's funny about so many of these "As Seen On TV" products is how contrived the ads are showing how hard it is to do the thing that these things are the solution to.
Is it ice yet?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
Morbo What sponges are these, I am definitely interested, tired of the same old boring sponges here
QVC sells them as the Scrub Daddy:

http://www.qvc.com/Scrub-Daddy-Set-o...ct.V35122.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
My elderly mother sat all Sunday morning one day watching infomercials. I asked her why she watches them. She said she was fed up with changing the channel every time those darn commercials came on, and the infomercials never break for commercials. I could see her point, after all, the exercise bike commercials were no worse than the programs on other stations that had ad breaks in them.
This is why I change to QVC during breaks or to use up time until the DVR is back to the show. No commercials, because it's all a commercial! And I do buy things there; I am waiting for the next time they offer the smart phone with years of time and data for $99.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM

There is a British guy who reviews all the as seen on tv crap. It's pretty funny usually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF8a...J5Kg9Zw8qAh0CQ

Also Alton Brown did a video reviewing useless kitchen gadgets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg

Last edited by drewder; 09-15-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Ha! For my birthday last month, one of my sisters bought me a MacMagic pasta pot. Now, I have several very good pots, and three colanders. She thought it was just spiffy, and I'm stuck with something I'll never use.

StG
Old 09-15-2017, 10:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The RonCo Pocket Fisherman. It lacks something basic to the fishing experience: a lever. I about put my arm out of socket trying to cast with it, and I could have done better with a child's toy rod with cartoon characters on it.
Kid-toy poles are actually cheaper. And work better. And you can buy them for a buck at the 'Dollar Store'. And they're disposable. "Here, fishy, fishy, fishy!"

Last edited by Rosvirein; 09-15-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:58 AM

This parody ad for the Snuggie (aka backwards robe) is spot-on. I give you the WTF Blanket!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
That's the one that came to mind.

But do you have any idea of how many Americans scald themselves to death annually attempting to pour spaghetti from the pot into a colander, or die of starvation because they accidentally lose all the food down the sink during the transfer?
If it saves JUST ONE CHILD'S LIFE, it's worth it.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaSan View Post
I thought they were a joke first time I saw them also but the wife says they use them at the assisted living place she works at. Night staff takes a few minutes to set them up as they have time available and the old folks can put their feet in on their own. Faster than having a staff member do it for those that are able.
When my mother had hip replacement surgery she had to get one of these because she was not allowed to bend past a certain amount. But the sock thing didn't really work out for her that well. She also had to have a bunch of bars installed and a weirdo thing to put on top of the toilet so she basically didn't have to sit down. That thing was nasty.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Wha...?

Every picture in my house is hanging on a monkey hook. Although, I don't know if that's the actual brand name. Some of my frames are pretty heavy though and they work just fine.
I don't remember the name Monkey Hook (had to look it up), but I used a bunch of these to hang pictures and stuff. Never had a single problem with them, and they were easy to use. I haven't removed any of the pictures, but I would think that the hole left behind is a smaller than with most picture hangers.

The one item that (I believe) was originally advertised "as seen on TV" that really works are furniture sliders. We've moved dressers, desks, tables, couches and all sorts of things with those.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewder View Post
Also Alton Brown did a video reviewing useless kitchen gadgets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg
Nice idea, and I generally like Alton Brown, but what a terrible video. It's basically Alton saying "here's a kitchen gadget, it's bad". And just when I start wondering what's so bad about it, and why doesn't it work, he's on to the next one. And he reads Amazon reviews to me, which I'm capable of reading for myself.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Morbo What sponges are these, I am definitely interested, tired of the same old boring sponges here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Those are them. They have them at Home Depot. Their main benefit is that they're super hard and resilient.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
The one item that (I believe) was originally advertised "as seen on TV" that really works are furniture sliders.
I received a Lint Wizard as a gift, and to my amazement, it worked surprisingly well. I liked it better than those sticky-tape lint rollers.

Like most ASOTV products, the build quality wasn't great—it broke after a few years of use—but the damn thing worked exactly as depicted in the advertisement.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Those are them. They have them at Home Depot. Their main benefit is that they're super hard and resilient.
And you can clean your spoons in the smile!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Forever Comfy. I've had two, neither lasted more than seven months before the gel insert leaked.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-15-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:01 PM

Don't remember the name of the product, but years ago there was an infomercial for spray-on hair. The idea was that you used the gunk in the aerosol can to fill in any bald spots on your head.

IIRC they had an audience full of balding men and went around and sprayed this stuff on them and everyone oohed and aahed.

I cannot imagine how this would fool anyone who saw you from several feet away, let alone someone close to you. And what happened if you got caught in the rain?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:05 PM

We got the spray-on hair for my brother's 40th birthday party. Believe me, it wouldn't fool anyone within a 30-foot radius. And, yeah, it started running down his forehead when he started sweating. Funny as could be.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Forever Comfy. I've had two, neither lasted more than seven months before the gel insert leaked.
In the immortal words of Legends of the Fall, "Forever turned out to be too long."
Old 09-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
QVC sells them as the Scrub Daddy:

http://www.qvc.com/Scrub-Daddy-Set-o...ct.V35122.html
I've never bought those, but I believe they were presented on the ABC program Shark Tank.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Three pointless/crap ones i've encountered.

1.) Wax Vac... does not work at all, its the silliest thing.
2.)Shamwow... Towels work better.
3.)Monkey hooks (the curved metal wires that insert into drywall)..... These things couldn't support a banana, and they don't stay in straight.

What are your experiences?
Does anyone else think that Shamwow is a rather unfortunate name for a product?

"It's a Sham! Wow!"
Old 09-16-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
For some reason these crossed my mind just a few weeks ago and I googled to see if they were still being made. I remember one of them in my house during my childhood (but I don't remember if I or anyone else tried to use it in that time.) They have been on the market for 45 years and (I think) have cost $19.95 the whole time. (Which means that it cost the equivalent of over $100 in 1972.)
Wow, $100 for that piece o' crap? As Rosvirein said, children's 'toy' poles are better. I have a 4-piece rod that is about 20 inches long when disassembled. Works fine, too. Throw in a couple bobbers, a few hooks, some split-shot and a small reel, and you've got a great fishing tool that's compact as well. It probably cost me $50 in today's money, but worth it.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just saw this one for the first time:

https://www.sockslider.com/?mid=9217033

While I feel bad for people who can't bend to put on their socks, I can't help but
I saw that item at Bed Bath and Beyond a few weeks ago. I'm toying with the idea of picking it up. My two concerns are: that it looks like if might overstress the elastic in the socks and shorten their useful life, and that having it to rely on removes a certain amount of personal incentive for me to drop about a hundred pounds.

In the months leading up to my hip replacement in 2015, the joint was physically incapable of flexing that far, regardless of my weight, and it would have been a VERY welcome addition to my collection of knickknacks, gewgaws, and gadgets. Especially for my daughter, who got dragooned into dressing my right foot once a day.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
I got a Perfect Pancake for Christmas once. Which is like two regular cheapo teflon pans hinged together in a clamshell fashion.

"As easy as turning a door knob!" the commercial said. It was not.

I have no problem making pancakes the old fashioned way, on a regular flat pan. But this clamshell thing was a complete pain. The biggest problem was that the two sides didn't touch. And the teflon was very slick. So no matter how quickly you flipped the pan from one side to the other, the half cooked pancake would just slide out the side and onto the stove. I didn't even get to test how the cold side would perform once you flipped the clamshell over because the pancake never ended up there.
I didn't have that problem with mine.

I had the problem of "you can only cook one pancake at a time." When it takes half an hour to make three short stacks for your family's breakfast, you've reached a point of diminishing returns.

I do still use the batter dispenser for making uniformly-sized pancakes on my standard griddle (my griddle technique is successful because I know to wait for the bubbles on the surface to pop before I try flipping the pancakes. And because I never flip pancakes in black-and-white).
Old 09-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Quote:
One of the most useless items I've tried is also one that seems to have a lot of fans. The RonCo Pocket Fisherman.
It would be interesting to compare a 1972 Pocket Fisherman with a current-day one. Is the earlier one better-made and more reliable? Or do modern plastics allow the newer one to be better quality?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:46 PM

actually I still have a few items that are still head together by mighty putty........
Old 09-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

The self-draining garden hose (I want to say -- "Pocket Hose?") works a treat. It doesn't really fit in my pocket, though.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
The Egg Scrambler wins by being so transparently stupid, but a close second is the Miracle Thaw defroster. This is just a piece of aluminum with no special abilities -- despite the ad -- to allow your food to evenly defrost. You might as well just put it in a metal pan. But apparently a lot of folks don't realize that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...+as+seen+on+tv

In case you actually believe in this item:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/...q=2&fldauto=24
*Sheepishly raises hand* But, in my defense, that was a very long time ago and we realized our error shortly after acquiring it. I don't think I've ever purchased an As-Seen-On-TV product since.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
When my mother had hip replacement surgery she had to get one of these because she was not allowed to bend past a certain amount. But the sock thing didn't really work out for her that well. She also had to have a bunch of bars installed and a weirdo thing to put on top of the toilet so she basically didn't have to sit down. That thing was nasty.
I was going to say exactly the same thing about my mom, who broke her hip a couple of years ago and had it replaced. Dad isn't always there to pick things up when she drops them, or help her with her socks and slip-on shoes, so she has this little clippy thing on a stick she uses. She also has that toilet-top thing. You're not one of my siblings, are you?
Old 09-16-2017, 04:21 PM

I present the Rapid Ramen Cooker, when any other microwave-safe bowl in your cabinet is just not good enough. This is the quintessential college dorm room product.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:07 PM

I have been tempted to purchase the atomic beam lantern, for emergency uses. Does anybody have one?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The self-draining garden hose (I want to say -- "Pocket Hose?") works a treat. It doesn't really fit in my pocket, though.
They work as advertised, but don't last long. We went through several before going back to regular hoses. None of the pocket hoses even lasted a full summer.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
I have been tempted to purchase the atomic beam lantern, for emergency uses. Does anybody have one?
Amazon.
Quote:

What are the lumen on these lamps?
Answer:
5000 lumens I believe
By TrustCompany SELLER on April 22, 2017

5000 lumen
By Good Deal!!!! SELLER on April 21, 2017

Not sure on the lumens on the lanter, but it is bright. The flashlight is 5k lux if that helps.
By 4Front Marketing LLC SELLER on April 22, 2017

It's 350 lumens, 12 hour runtime on 3 AA batteries. If it were 5,000 lumens, to make it run 12 hours, it would take ALOT of AA Batteries! Look on Ace Hardware site. It is clearly stated 350..........
By MilSpec on August 20, 2017
A Lux measurement is meaningless without knowing the distance it was measured at.
Lux
Quote:
The lux (symbol: lx) is the SI derived unit of illuminance and luminous emittance, measuring luminous flux per unit area.[1] It is equal to one lumen per square metre. In photometry, this is used as a measure of the intensity, as perceived by the human eye, of light that hits or passes through a surface. It is analogous to the radiometric unit watt per square metre, but with the power at each wavelength weighted according to the luminosity function, a standardized model of human visual brightness perception. In English, "lux" is used as both the singular and plural form.
Any flashlight/lantern advertising lux isn't worth the money.

Last edited by running coach; 09-16-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Head Blue Meanie
Charter Member

Quote:
The thing that's funny about so many of these "As Seen On TV" products is how contrived the ads are showing how hard it is to do the thing that these things are the solution to.
To me, the best example of this is an ad for an inflatable bed (I misremember which one). It showed a poor woman — so poor that she couldn't afford to be filmed in color — wrestling with a rollaway bed in a closet. The poor dear apparently didn't realize that you had to push the bed rather than merely rocking it back and forth in the hopes that doing so would activate some kind of autopropulsion device.

(For some reason this always brought to mind the scene in Bride of the Monster in which Bela Lugosi tries to create the effect that a rubber octopus is attacking him by grabbing its tentacles and flailing them around. But then I realized a long time ago that the associations I make are not exactly … normal.)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Dad got one from a store. It was quite useful when the power went out. We used it for a couple nights without running out of battery. And I liked being able stick it to a metal surface, like our door or the refrigerator.

I've messed with it since, and still hasn't run out of power.

I also have two rice cookers for the microwave. Yeah, it's just a microwave safe bowl with some lines to tell you how much to put in. But it was also rather cheap--at least, it was at the store. And not having to measure the water or rice is convenient.

I presume this is the same sort of product as the Ramen bowl. Though it seems more useful in a rice bowl. You don't really need to measure Ramen, and since you want soup, the exact amount of water isn't that important.

Last edited by BigT; 09-16-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:47 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosvirein View Post
Kid-toy poles are actually cheaper. And work better. And you can buy them for a buck at the 'Dollar Store'. And they're disposable. "Here, fishy, fishy, fishy!"
I didn't find the Pocket Fisherman total garbage; close but not quite total. I had one for a while that lived in my saddlebags for those odd times when I came across an interesting piece of water and wondered if there were any fish in it. It got replaced with an equally cheap but much more effective Eagle Claw pack rod and a couple really cheap reels -- one fly and one spin. Yeah, maybe it still has a place or use but like you say there are a lot of various options out there.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

What annoys me about the As Seen on TV commercials is the crazy shipping charges. They'll advertise something at twenty bucks or so, with a shipping and handling charge of ten bucks. And sometimes it's something that looks like you could send for two bucks even if you sent it by first class mail.

And then they'll advertise that you can get two for the price of one. "Just pay separate shipping and handling." So they're getting forty bucks for two things that cost them something like five bucks.

So if I'm ever tempted to buy something from one of these commercials, I'll wait for it to be available in a store like Target, or at worst, buy it from Amazon (with the free shipping).
Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
I present the Rapid Ramen Cooker, when any other microwave-safe bowl in your cabinet is just not good enough. This is the quintessential college dorm room product.
Well, my bowls aren't. I like the noodles long, and the only way a block of ramen would fit in one of my bowls would be if I broke it into quarters. Not even sure it would fit then. Plus the water line inside is handy because you don't have to measure the amount of water. It's certainly not a necessity, but at $3 it's proven to be quite convenient.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I heard a theory--I have no idea if it's true or not--that a lot of those "As Seen on TV" products where they show somebody having a comically hard time using the normal alternative before discovering the advertised product are actually aimed at people who are disabled or otherwise have trouble managing some aspect of their lives that these products address. The theory suggests that they show the idiots screwing up using normal products because they get larger advertising reach than they would if they marketed the products directly to the disabled.

Here's an article about it.
I think that's mainly people finding a use for a dumb product rather than the dumb product being designed explicitly for those people.

The story that's supposed to be the foundation of this theory, that Snuggies were invented for people in wheelchairs, is false. The Snuggie came from the Slanket which was invented by a college kid annoyed that his arms got cold working the remote when under a blanket.

Last edited by Jophiel; 09-17-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:54 PM
"Superstar"

TV Tropes:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...perateABlanket

Too incompetent to operate a blanket.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
The Egg Scrambler wins by being so transparently stupid, but a close second is the Miracle Thaw defroster. This is just a piece of aluminum with no special abilities -- despite the ad -- to allow your food to evenly defrost. You might as well just put it in a metal pan. But apparently a lot of folks don't realize that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...+as+seen+on+tv

In case you actually believe in this item:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/...q=2&fldauto=24
Crazy yes, but we found one at a dollar store. And altho sure, it is just a piece of aluminum, we dint have anything like it in the house. So, if you get one cheap enuf, it works.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimeThink View Post
The "Rollie" is the perfect solution to a problem no one has ever had.
This review is amusing:
http://www.thepizzle.net/the-rollie-...ever-invented/
Old 09-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I must admit the hose really does work as advertised.

I just remembered the dog biscuit maker I got. I made delicious biscuits from the accompanying recipe book but it literally took four hours to make 20 of 'em!
Old 09-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We have a couple of the cheaper, generic versions, and altho not as bright as they would have you believe, they are nice to have around.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I had no idea what an "atomic beam lantern" was until I just Googled it. That looks like the thing my brother bought me for Christmas. He also bought one for my parents. It's not bad, although I took the batteries out and put it in the bin with the other emergency equipment. (I have plug-in flashlights for immediate use after an outage.)

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 09-17-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Don't remember the name of the product, but years ago there was an infomercial for spray-on hair. The idea was that you used the gunk in the aerosol can to fill in any bald spots on your head.

IIRC they had an audience full of balding men and went around and sprayed this stuff on them and everyone oohed and aahed.

I cannot imagine how this would fool anyone who saw you from several feet away, let alone someone close to you. And what happened if you got caught in the rain?
There's an ad for one now called Miracle Hair. Here's a pretty funny review by MikeJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA13...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by cochrane; 09-17-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
They work as advertised, but don't last long. We went through several before going back to regular hoses. None of the pocket hoses even lasted a full summer.
Huh.

I've had mine for a couple of years, with no signs of deterioration. Of course, after each use, I disconnect it from the faucet and store it in an enclosed bin, out of the elements.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
What annoys me about the As Seen on TV commercials is the crazy shipping charges. They'll advertise something at twenty bucks or so, with a shipping and handling charge of ten bucks. And sometimes it's something that looks like you could send for two bucks even if you sent it by first class mail.

And then they'll advertise that you can get two for the price of one. "Just pay separate shipping and handling." So they're getting forty bucks for two things that cost them something like five bucks.

So if I'm ever tempted to buy something from one of these commercials, I'll wait for it to be available in a store like Target, or at worst, buy it from Amazon (with the free shipping).
I get confused when I see those commercials these days. Often, the announcer will say something along the lines of "Wait! There's more! Order right now and we'll DOUBLE the offer! That's right, we'll send you TWO [insert name of miracle product here], PLUS the [insert name of bullshit "accessory" here]! Just pay a separate fee."

Is the "separate fee" just the same $19.99 they asked for the first item once again? They used to say to pay separate shipping and handling, but now it's separate fee. WTF?

ETA: it's particularly confusing when the same infomercial tells you that they're including free S&H.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-18-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
My ex-wife bought some Shamwows and I got half of them in the divorce (just by happenstance, not on purpose). I like them. They're not so amazing that everybody should go out and buy one but I find them marginally better than a regular dish towel. What I don't like about them is they get ruined in the dryer.
Are you still single? I can offer a dowry of one grungy Scrub Daddy and several regular dish towels.